Start by marking “For Fucks Sake” as Want to Read:
For Fucks Sake

For Fucks Sake

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  160 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Already an underground cult classic, For Fucks Sake is a blisteringly honest and darkly comic portrayal of one man’s search for true love. Lasner takes us on an unforgettable ride from the Mardi Gras mayhem of New Orleans to the madness of early 1990s New York, hooking up along the way with, among others, a lesbian bartender and the wife of his best friend!

"If all writers
Published July 1st 2003 by Ig Publishing (first published March 19th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about For Fucks Sake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Fucks Sake

Hosho
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's hard damn work writing a book that reads so fun and easy. The same blend of self-deprecating charm and self-important pigheadedness that you find in Bukowski and Fante abounds, and Lasner even throws in some additional flourish. I'm especially fond of his naming and renaming the cities that serve as locations, and, of course, that intoxicating mash of of highbrow intellectualism and low-brow crass -- with some lines being spit-take worthy. My first book of Lasner's, but surely not my last.
Susan
Jul 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
this is one of my favorite books. it gives the best description ever of new orleans and what that city is truly like.
Robert
Oct 18, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: sux0r
Writing style sucked, story sucks, try again.
Lisa
Dec 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
What a waste of money. Totally unreadable. If you have it laying around the bathroom you can use it for other things. Can warm the house with it too if you have a fireplace, but not recommended for reading.
Richard
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
The title of this book was exactly what I thought as I reached the end of this novel (maybe that's the point). This novel was trying so hard to be so many things. It was trying to be Kerouac's On The Road, but lacked the ability to conjure the essence of a time and place, it wanted to be Miller but the lead character seemed so sexually inept, it wanted to be Bukowski but I know Charles would have put the lead character to shame in terms of his potential for debauchery. So what are we left with, ...more
Samson
Sep 15, 2007 rated it liked it
I found this novel to be clever and brief enough to get through, but the lack of real character growth and insight eventually weighed me down. It is a study of a body of facts, and the author is very solipsistic and I hope went to rehab at some point. That said, its worth reading, and if I were younger (or still drinking) I might have thought it to deeply personal and invigoratingly honest.
Lynn
Mar 12, 2010 rated it liked it
If you can't judge a book by it's cover, how 'bout by it's title. A twisted tale of one man's post-baccalaureate indulgences of codependency. Scathing and humerous, this is a fast read. Unfortunately, it is filled with explicatives and now I have to watch what I say...
Elle Zerfas
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best.book.ever
Karli
Mar 15, 2008 rated it did not like it
What a waste of time. This self-published book is full of typos, plagued by an awful writing style, and generally gratuitous.
Susan
Sep 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Self serving asshole
Heather
Dec 22, 2008 rated it liked it
another monotonous book I wanted to like more than I did. Put it down unfinished one day, never picked it back up but like the title so much I had to give it 3.
Mark LaMountain
An awesome, gritty coming-of-age tale, a terrific book. Almost like a young Bukowski except instead of being an insightful dirtbag, I remember him being just a dirtbag. Even better. :)
peggy
Aug 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone stuck in a rut
you have to be okay with graphic words and descriptions. the ending was kinda lame though.
Brian Lavery
  • Weeds
  • Life #6
  • The Waste Makers
  • The Metaphysical Ukulele
  • Crow After Roe: How "Separate But Equal" Has Become the New Standard in Women's Health and How We Can Change That
  • Unravished
  • This Is Who I Am: Our Beauty in All Shapes and Sizes
  • Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five: Bookmarked
  • The Craftster Guide to Nifty, Thrifty, and Kitschy Crafts: Fifty Fabulous Projects from the Fifties and Sixties
  • Outerborough Blues: A Brooklyn Mystery
  • Blood Feud (The Saga of Pandora Zwieback, #1)
  • Lost in the Grooves: Scram's Capricious Guide to the Music You Missed