Start by marking “Even the Giants” as Want to Read:
Even the Giants

Even the Giants

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews

Jesse Jacobs bursts onto the comic scene with his first published work EVEN THE GIANTS. The work beautifully captures the isolation of the Great White North while also giving the artist a sequential canvas to explore and experiment. This book will be printed in three Pantone spot colors. Jesse's work has been nominated for the Doug Wright award and has won the Gene Day awa

Published June 7th 2011 by Adhouse Books

To ask other readers questions about Even the Giants, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Even the Giants

Jan Philipzig
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ad-house, trippy
Of Chocolate Bunnies and Cheese Graters

A good little scientist must categorize, organize and systematize, of course, and so I have created a set of GR shelves that allow me to categorize, organize and systematize all the comic books I read these days. Call me crazy, but I find that kind of stuff strangely enjoyable. It makes me aware of the genres I have been indulging in, for example - good to know, right?

Anyway, so far so good. Problem is, this book stubbornly denies me that kind of pleasure:
Melki
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, comics
I found this collection to be almost inexplicably delightful.
Then my husband liked it. He really liked it.
My oldest son pronounced it "pretty cool."
Then we all had a "deep" discussion about what the guys crawling in and out of holes were supposed to represent, and everyone agreed that my theory - "They are living in a giant cheese grater" - was a very good one.

Behold a world where even a gutted seal can be a work of art. Strange monsters chide the reader for hating Star Trek (even TNG.) Giant y
Anthony Vacca
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Essentially Modest Mouse's The Moon and Antarctica in comic-book form, but not nearly as good. If that makes any sense. Maybe it's just that both are blue.
David Schaafsma
Aug 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-silent, art-comics
This is the first book by Jacobs, whose Safari Honeymoon and By This You Shall Know Him, I really liked. This one is simpler, but only because I followed the advice of Dov he found in this useful review by Hayley Campbell: http://www.tcj.com/reviews/even-the-g... to read Even the Giants as one narrative, and to read separately excerpts from his collection "One Million Mouths" that are interspersed throughout.

Giants is silent, involves two giants (or maybe they are Yeti?), who eat their way acros
Dov Zeller
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphics-comics
After finishing "Even the Giants" I read Hayley Campell's review in tcj http://www.tcj.com/reviews/even-the-g.... She talks about Jacobs' background in graphic arts and the influence on his aesthetic, which is interesting stuff. She recommends reading the book without the distraction of "One Million Mouths." I took up her recommendation and reread it, just focusing on the arctic narrative, and enjoyed it a lot more. It's basically a book with a narrative about giants and eskimos and some other c ...more
John Porcellino
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This brilliant debut is a series of interconnecting arctic stories featuring an eskimo, an ice-locked cargo ship, and a pair of gigantic, god-like monkey/yeti creatures, interspersed with wickedly funny stories of everyday modern-life: landlords, bad roommates, and more. Then there's the recurring pair of dudes wandering through a menacing, psychedelic otherworld, all with the underlying theme of nature's brutality and our search for warmth within it. The artwork is mesmerizing, and the writing ...more
Tommy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This collection of perplexing and mysterious little stories is EXACTLY what I look for in indie comics. It's like a glimpse into a strange little world all its own, all in white, teal, and shades of icy mint blue. It collects a series of mostly unrelated one-page comic strips called "One Million Mouths," interspersed with a longer landscape of connected stories taking place in the frozen North, with Eskimo, sled dogs, giant wendigo/snow monster creatures, a ship with little bristly men, and a st ...more
Allie
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I love to visit GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art) in Brisbane. They have some amazing stuff. But there's always sections of the museum that are just a bit too weird for me -- things that, I don't know -- are supposed to be symbolic or some shit like that. This book would fit in perfectly in one of those sections. It was fucking weird .

But you'll notice I gave it 2 stars. One page did make me chuckle. The art was weird, but a good weird. And I like the title.

(PS: I wasn't surprised at all to learn th
A
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
I love that this is in arctic blue/black&white, not just grayscale. It adds to the feel. It's a weird book, but the main story is enthralling. I found myself oddly sympathetic toward, well even the giants.
Michael Seidel
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Though largely wordless, the loosely interconnected stories in this collection fuse together to create an amazingly robust narrative. The sum total is grotesque, intricate and mazelike. Probably my favorite "graphic novel" I've come across so far.
Serena
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I haven't enjoyed a comic this much in quite a while.
Emily
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
read this at a bar. it's funny and bittersweet, like most things I read and love.
Jeff Raymond
I’ve tried in the last year to read everything that Jesse Jacobs has traditionally published, and this book was definitely one of the odder ones (and that says a lot). It was a very fast read, and has a webcomicy quality to it (not a knock against it). It lacked the gravity that some of his other work did, though, so while I recommend reading it, I wouldn’t pick this one up first.
Rafael Vega
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Even the Giants" is not only what you expect from Jesse Jacobs, but what you want: weirdness, strangeness, gods and monsters acting with the privilege and entitlement of human beings (showing us how tragic, funny, terrible we can be).

Two things bother me about Jesse Jacobs' "Even the Giants." One, it's out of print. And two, it was printed so small. I am of the opinion that Jacobs' work is always better when it's bigger. Find this book and buy it!
Tarah Fedenia
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So bizarre and awesome. Was surprised to find a happy and funny ending after so many creatures simply being eaten by giants. It was impressive how the separate stories completely came together at the end without written words! At many points I was delighted by how I felt like I had read so much but there are actually such few written words among the drawings. And the words that are there are poetic, bizarre, dark treats. Also it oddly made me want to be a vegetarian even more (though I'm still n ...more
Jeff Lewonczyk
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jesse Jacobs' two more recent books - By This You Shall Know Him and (especially) Safari Honeymoon - are brilliant. While pleasant to read, with some very cool art, this one is definitely more a glimpse of a young artist grasping at a bunch of disparate ideas and styles as he seeks out his path - definitely more recommended for folks who already like his work and want to see how it developed. Otherwise, go check out his other books first!
Amy
Yeeah, this just wasn’t for me. Too weird, not a strong enough visual story for me to be motivated to follow it or to unpack it. A few of the drawings were beautiful, but mostly this edged to much towards disturbing for me to enjoy it. The colours were beautiful though, using only white, icy blue and a darker blue.
Amy
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic, comics
A funny little book featuring giants, eskimos, holey planets and other manner of weird creatures & scenes in a set stories that defy convention.
Judith
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
1.5 stars. I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was good either.
Lexi
Apr 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Charming and odd.
Allie
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but it was so goofy-weird that I'm bumping it up to 4.
Patty
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
What a weird little book of comics!
Nate D
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it
Eskimos and giant yeti-things, packing case, ten thousand mouths. Strange and good.
Regina Durst
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This just wowed me. Simple colors highlight the beautiful illustrations and I really thought there must be a deeper meaning.
Abdelreheem
Oct 27, 2015
Hannah Honeycutt
Jul 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jesse Jacobs was born in Moncton, New Brunswick, and now draws comics and things from his home in London, Ontario. He has worked on the Cartoon Network show Adventure Time and has appeared in the 2012 and 2013 editions of Best American Comics.
More about Jesse Jacobs...