Start by marking “The Path of Yoga: An Essential Guide to Its Principles and Practices” as Want to Read:
The Path of Yoga: An Essential Guide to Its Principles and Practices

The Path of Yoga: An Essential Guide to Its Principles and Practices

This overview of the essentials of Yoga is meant to both broaden and deepen the understanding of beginning students. It covers all the basic elements of this ancient discipline and philosophy of India—including Yoga poses, diet, breath control, meditation, mantras, Kundalini energy, and more. It also includes newly translated excerpts from the scriptures and pays special a ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Shambhala (first published March 19th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Path of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Path of Yoga

Start your review of The Path of Yoga: An Essential Guide to Its Principles and Practices
Sydra Mallery
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it comes off as dry and academic to some readers, I felt that the author spoke very clearly and in a straightforward manner about some yoga concepts that are difficult to understand. Though I've read about them elsewhere they made more sense to me in the context and language of this book.
Rachelle
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good historical overview of yoga
Heather
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good well-rounded guide to many aspects of yoga. The book places yoga in its historical and cultural context helping to define the discipline in modern times.
Tim O'Riordan
Nov 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a number of books on Yoga and a few by Georg Feuerstein and I wish I had started with this one as it would have made some of the others easier to follow. This is a good introduction to what Yoga really is; a spiritual path to self-enlightenment. It is neither too long nor too complicated but it does give a good introduction to the many diverse aspects of yoga life.

"...in the West, Yoga is frequently reduced to fitness training bereft of any reference to its original spiritual purpose
Ill Lily
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great primer for those who wish to explore the real breadth of Yoga. Chapter by chapter unfolds each petal of Yoga practice, stretching far past explanations of asana. While Feuerstein does a great job of explaining these facets in summarization, each vast topic requires much further exploration. Overall, he pulls from a wide variety of respected sources and writes from a genuine place of passion for the subject.
Jacob
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feuerstein gives a great introduction into the different lineages, meanings and practices of yoga. His chapters allow the reader to focus on specific aspects of yoga ( Breathing, Meditation, Mantra) and gives a very clear understanding of how yoga practice has developed and evolved overtime. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in Yoga and wants to know the different aspects of this spiritual practice.
irishrust
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a pretty good overview. There were many things I didn't realize about yoga and meditation. It's nice to have someone who seems to be knowledgeable explain the principles of different forms of yoga.
Shea
Mar 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely beautiful. My only regret is that I was on a time schedule to finish it and read it rather quickly. I would like to read it again and be able to take notes. It is a good introduction and overview of the 'philosophy of yoga'.
Kate Lumsden
Nov 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great deep but accessible intro to the philosophy behind yoga. highly recommended.
Konrad Plechowski
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very decent overview of key concepts of what Yoga is. lmportant, short, and comprehensive summary read for those that are, as I feel I am, growing out of perception of yoga as physical practice only and feeling they want to understand broader and deeper aspects
Marta
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-studies
Una bella base spirituale.
G Scott
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Strips away the mainstream misconceptions of yoga and tells you whats really going on.
Ryan
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good overview but some parts could have given more detail.
Craig Shoemake
This is a good introductory survey of the field of yoga by the man who is probably the most popular yoga scholar around. I emphasize the word popular because I’m not actually sure how much cutting edge research (new translations, scholarly publications, etc) he’s actually doing these days. Probably not much, since Feuerstein is now retired, but his books are generally so approachable that for people who want coverage of yoga’s intellectual heritage, he is often the go-to man.

This particular off
Alison
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book, full of great advice, philosophical Yoga advice and some really good yogi ideas and views on a yoga life, practice and just life in general. Easy to read, but I recommend reading slower, in order to mull over the ideas and instructions give. Also has some history of Yoga and good ideas on being both a yogi doer and instructor.
Bernadette
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Overview of yoga. This is definitely not Lululemon - book is Intense and its paradigm-shifting ideas will have one questioning one's Western worldviews and one's relationships to others, to oneself, to the present, and to eternity.
Neda
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Very, very informative but a bit dry at times. I may have to re-read a few chapters as I wasn't familiar with all of the concepts and terminology and sort of just scanned through them. The author also co-wrote Yoga for Dummies which was a much easier read for a beginner like myself.
Jay
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to some basic ideas but fairly narrow scope in discussion of what we call 'yoga'
Giuseppe
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book...! It's the best path of yoga to understand its essence.
Maryanne
Shambhala Guide to Yoga By Georg Feuerstein Seems to have changed names.

ZThe Shambhala Guide to Yoga 1/10/2014 Georg Feuerstein

• The Autobiography of Donovan: The Hurdy Gurdy Man
  • Sources of the Self: The Making of the Modern Identity
  • William Shakespeare's Much Ado About Mean Girls
  • The Bhagavad Gita
  • Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Scary Stories, #1)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • Pippi Longstocking
  • Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype
  • Survival in Auschwitz
  • Light Boxes
  • Ø
Georg A. Feuerstein was an Indologist and, according to his associate Ken Wilber, among the foremost Westerns scholar-practitioners of yoga. After doing his postgraduate research at Durham University in England, he moved to the United States, eventually settling in Canada with his wife and sometime co-author Brenda. ...more

News & Interviews