Start by marking “Slow Gardening: A No-Stress Philosophy for All Senses and All Seasons” as Want to Read:
Slow Gardening: A No-Stress Philosophy for All Senses and All Seasons

Slow Gardening: A No-Stress Philosophy for All Senses and All Seasons

3.17  ·  Rating details ·  63 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Thanks to the resurgence of home and community gardening, more and more people are discovering the pleasure of biting into a sun-ripened tomato picked right off the vine, the earthy smell of freshly turned soil, and the cheerful harbingers of spring such as daffodils, irises, and pansies. But they are also discovering that gardening can be a heck of a lot of work. So what ...more
Published June 27th 2011 by Chelsea Green Publishing Company (first published June 24th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Gardening

Julie
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
It's not a book I would buy. It's a whimsical hodge podge of philosophy & tips.
Narariel
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Slow Gardening was a decent book, but it does seem to be less of a book on gardening and more on "accept the differences" and "be yourself." I found the organization of the book difficult to understand; it didn't seem to flow well or have chapters named to help find things easily. I did enjoy the scattered quotes and approved of the idea of trying to minimize garden work, as well as the green/organic undertones. I don't recall running across any novel ideas for gardening or gardening projects. I ...more
Jenny
Apr 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gardening
I have to admit that I only skimmed this book. I didn't understand what the author was trying to do. I started off wanting to like it, but I had a hard time even getting started with this book. It jumps around all over the place, and is a confusing hodgepodge of chapters, sections, and insets. The pictures were lovely, but I couldn't get in any type of groove with this book, it didn't make any sense to me.
Astin
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Raised in rainy SE Alaska, I was thrilled to see anything come up in the garden other than salmon berries. I was definitely not raised with a green thumb. I treated this book as much as a primer on gardening on general as much as the philosophy of doing it right. Slow food. Slow gardening. Its the new thing. Its an entertaining read - Felder is hilariously sarcastic. This book is helpful for anybody seeking an entertaining foray into some new gardening ideas.
Anne
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: gardeners everywhere
This book changed my life. It taught me to ignore the list of chores that need to be done in the yard, and focus my attention on one thing at a time. It doesn't all have to be done today, or this week, or this season. It's never done, in fact; no garden is ever perfect or finished, and if it was, I'd probably hate it. I enjoy my time outside digging in the dirt much more than I did before I read this. And I accomplished more this season than ever have, one thing at a time.
Rhonda
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this gardening book that is more than just about how to garden - it delves into the psychology of gardening and how gardening relates to our senses. I especially loved the author's focus on Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in regards to gardening. The glossy color photos are beautiful and inviting. This book is inspiring in a "slow" way.
David Ward
Apr 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Slow Gardening: A No-Stress Philosophy for All Senses and Seasons by Felder Rushing (Chelsea Green Publishing 2011) (635.9) is Felder's manifesto towards gardening: slow and easy wins the race. More an explanation of gardening philosophy than a gardening book, this is nevertheless a worthwhile read. My rating: 6/10, finished 4/19/12.
Apr 04, 2012 rated it did not like it
Didn't exactly read it - mostly skimmed it. I think the author mostly wanted to share photos - they are cool photos to look at - but they distracted me from the text. Then when I read the text I didn't find anything useful or interesting. Mostly the author was just trying to be clever.
Clara Dearmore Strom
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great gardening book for anyone who feels guilty about not pulling weeds every day. Slow down and enjoy your time outdoors. Unless you are a farmer and are farming acres and acres you will enjoy the relaxing approach to gardening. I did.
Kris Marley Patrick
Oct 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
My mom insisted I read the 2nd chapter on Garden Psychology. Liked it so much I kept reading! Teachers- great stuff linking gardening to Piaget and Gardner's multiple intelligences. And yes, as promised in the title, this book is more philosophy, less how-to. This would be a good one to own.
Beverly
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nice and engaging - zen of gardening style book with some good tips for life and horticultural goals.
Rose Ann
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not particularly helpful.
Jessica
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the humor of the author, and the pictures fueled my creativity. I did not learn anything new, but that didn't bother me too much.
Samantha
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Felder Rushing. I want to be just like him!!
Jen
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not much new content presented here. Sorry!
Kelly Smith
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great reminder that gardening should be fun! It's a light read with great information. Not like typical gardening books.
Sara Q
Jul 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Reads like a series of meandering blog posts without any helpful attention paid to any given topic.
Suzanne
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 50-books, 2011
Pretty general knowledge; nice photos.
Jun 15, 2012
Mar 23, 2014
Kim Luke
Mar 30, 2016
N.L. Riviezzo
rated it did not like it
Jul 29, 2013
Nicole
Jan 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Felder Rushing is a 10th-generation American gardener whose pioneer ancestors settled across the Southeast, bringing many plants with them. Rushing's overstuffed, quirky cottage garden has been featured in many TV programs and magazines (including a cover of Southern Living), and includes a huge variety of weather-hardy plants along with a collection of folk art. There is no turfgrass, just plants ...more
More about Felder Rushing...