Start by marking “Laterna Magica” as Want to Read:
Laterna Magica

Laterna Magica

Ingmar Bergman gick bort den 30 juli 2007. Han var en av filmhistoriens allra största. Få självbiografier fick ett sådant förhandsintresse som Ingmar Bergmans memoarer när den släpptes 1987 - även i ett internationellt perspektiv.

Med branta klipp och djärva associationer - en litterär teknik hämtad från filmkonsten - berättar Ingmar Bergman om vägen från olyckligt prästbar
Published December 1st 1987 by Norstedts (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Laterna Magica, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Laterna Magica

Ahmad Sharabiani
Laterna Magica = The Magic Lantern: an autobiography of Ingmar Bergman (1918), Ingmar Bergman
Ingmar Bergman, creator of such films as Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage and Fanny and Alexander turns his perceptive filmmaker's eye on himself for a revealing portrait of his life and obsessions.
فانوس خیال: زندگینامه اینگمار برگمان؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز هفدهم ماه نوامبر سال 1992 میلادی
عنوان: فانوس خیال: زندگینامه اینگمار برگمان به قلم خودش؛ نویسنده: اینگمار برگمن؛ مترجمها: مهوش تابش، مسعو
Manny
Laterna Magica shows how difficult it is to define that odd word, "autobiography". Bergman isn't very interested in telling you what happened, though you absolutely don't get the feeling that he's trying to hide anything from you either. He isn't interested in defending himself from the numerous charges that have been filed against him (sex addict, irresponsible father, tax evader, etc). What he wants to do is show you how he experienced his life from the inside, and turned that raw material int ...more
David
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
vote·harvesting (vōt·′här·və·stiŋ) v. 1. writing brief, generally worthless Goodreads reviews, usually of one's back-catalogue, in order to increase one's (net) vote yield; 2. producing many (usually short, irrelevant) reviews with little regard for quality. n. 1. the act of vote·harvesting. See also vote harvest; e.g., He can expect to see a large cumulative vote harvest from his one-sentence reviews of all those Little Golden Books.

Although my specific recollections of this book are as spotty
Manuel Antão
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Libidinal Art-Form: "The Magic Lantern" by Ingmar Bergman, Joan Tate (Trans.)

(Original Review, 2007)

Bergman devotes a number of pages to his experience as a 16 year old schoolboy on an exchange visit to a German family who were all ardent Nazis. He recalls attending a rally in Weimar, at which Hitler delivered a short speech, and being entirely caught up in “the eruption of immense energy”. When he left to return to Sweden the family g
Ben
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ingmar Bergman’s autobiography, The Magic Lantern, may not be the “best” book that I read this year (that word carries so much weight with it), but is quite probably my favorite book of the year. It has everything one often hopes for when reading an autobiography. In it Bergman not only provides readers with a discussion of his life and work, but he also is incredibly open – removing the curtain that typically separates the front and back stage, the work is very well-written and it is very easy ...more
Bjorn
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweden
Ah yes, the old myth of the tortured male genius and all that. And an autobiography containing everything from stories on how his dad used to beat him, about discovering masturbation and girls (in roughly that order), multiple marriages and families sacrificed to his "demons" and the drive to create ART, the torment from which great ideas are born, "truthlessness" as an excuse for rambling on at length...

So sue me. Bergman was a genius film maker, and what I love about his autobiography is that
Lavinia
I have no recollection of the moment I started watching and liking (that came in time, though) Bergman, since none of my friends and acquaintances had any taste in his films whatsoever. There must have been different listopias with his films, like '100 films to watch in a lifetime' or stuff like that.
Anyway, what struck me in Bergman’s several films I’ve seen so far ('Persona' being by far my favorite) was the deep sense of simplicity, the austere and grave atmosphere. Most of them being B/W, th
Lindu Pindu
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no.
I don't know if I was upset at myself or Bergman for being so disappointed with this memoir. I expected to read more about his actual artistic output, a la Tarkovsky's Sculpting in Time.
What's most infuriating I realise now after having finished the book: he wants to seem very honest and open in his writing, making reference to this childhood ordeal or that crumbling personal relationship, but I perceive no such openness as a reader, only an attempt at it. It could be the translation. Then agai
Kimmo Sinivuori
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began reading this book some twenty years ago but had to give up because it was too brutal in its honesty. Luckily, I had followed Doris Lessing's advice that one should collect a private library so that when one suddenly has an urge to read a book one only needs to walk to the bookshelf and get the book. Another Lessing advice that the same book can be totally different experience when returning to it years later was proven right as well because this time around I really enjoyed the book.
The
Ian Robinson
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book to try and glean some insight into the workings of the mind of the Swedish genius of cinema Ingmar Bergman.
i have to say that if you are hoping for a look into the creation of his films, I think "Images", another autobiographical book, is the book for you.
This book focusses more on Bergman's personal life, his physical and mental health, his relationships and, with a remarkable and sometimes shocking candidness, his childhood.
Given this, the structure of the book is as unconvent
Philippe Malzieu
Original title is "Laterna magica".It is the history of a little boy who needed love. His mother had consulted a pediatrist. He had forbiden her to have affection gesture to his son. This is the history of an unhappy loveless little boy which discovers joy with a toy,a magic lantern.
He search happiness all his life. He met many women, he had many children. He had never find peace. He will deliver his anguishes in all his movies. I saw all of them. I prefer Monika, Persona,The Serpent's Egg, the
Nandakishore Varma
Berman's movies are a passion for me, so I absolutely devoured this book - however, it does not contain that much insights into his methods. Hence the three stars.
Vytautas Abromaitis
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reminded me of Fellini’s “Making a Film”, but this is more literature-, and less essay- like. Honest, usually dead honest. Sometimes uncomfortable, too, if you start making comparisons with your own experiences. And it’s easy, because many of Bergman’s childhood and youth recollections are universal in one way or the other. By the time I got to the end, which actually went back full circle to the very start of the director’s life, I felt that Bergman reached at least some degree of peace with hi ...more
Jukka Aakula
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Not an easy book to read. Not enjoyable either.

I give three stars because it certainly is an interesting book and because Ingmar Bergman tells his story how it happened and was not trying to give a good picture on himself as a person - as is common nowadays. (He was a Hitler sympathizer at the age of 15 and probably until he understood - and agreed to admit - the bitter truth of the concentration camps when he was maybe 27. He neglected his children, his sister, his brother, his old parents, bet
Ali
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
Memoir books are usually same. But this book is different. Because Ingmar Bergman doesn’t tell all of his memoirs with his huge ego. Certainly, he had got an ego. Like everyone else. However, Bergman’s difference is that he knew himself very well with his negative and positive characteristics. In my opinion, that’s the real wisdom (I feel the same thing for Andrei Tarkovsky. Also, Bergman says “Tarkovsky is the biggest of cinema directors” in this book). What’s more, he explains his life, his wo ...more
Andrew
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reads like a Bergman film: pretentious, probably overlong, and with surprising mentions of bodily functions. But none of that is really a complaint. The stream of consciousness narration makes way more sense for an autobiography than had even occurred to me, and he really did have a beautiful handle on language (props to the translator).
ZaRi
"Film has dream, film has music. No form of art goes beyond ordinary consciousness as film does, straight to our emotions, deep into the twilight room of the soul. A little twitch in our optic nerve, a shock effect: twenty-four illuminated frames in a second, darkness in between, the optic nerve incapable of registering darkness. At the editing table, when I run the trip of film through, frame by frame, I still feel that dizzy sense of magic of my childhood: in the darkness of the wardrobe, I sl ...more
Newton
Jul 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first hundred pages or so, largely covering Bergman's childhood, are extremely interesting. The remaining 200 or so pages, unfortunately, were largely boring accounts of theatre productions. It should come as no surprise to anybody familiar with Bergman's films that he is a rather selfish, pompous, opinionated, and generally unpleasant individual (he readily admits as much throughout the autobiography). I wouldn't discourage a fan of his work from reading this, but would not generally recomm ...more
Thomas Strömquist
By no means this should be the only work to dig into if you are interested in the great man, but the autobiography is very good and very interesting. It is also one of the handful of books I've read both in my native Swedish and translated and therefore I can say that the translation unfortunately is a bit lacking. Not disturbingly so though, I believe at least, for someone not making the comparison.
Kit Fox
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty engaging reminiscences from one of the greatest directors in film history—though he kinda phoned-in the last 60 pages. Ever wondered what physical ailments the great Ingmar Bergman suffered from? Insomnia and IBS. And now you know.
Edward
I quit around p. 150. Very tough read. It just wasn't engaging. I'm usually fine to push through books, but I have other books sitting in my to-read pile that drew me away. Maybe I'll finish it some other day.
Kasper
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels, my-collection
The first chapter is a tour-de-force! Bergman knows when to intimate and when to invent. A fascinating read.
Ben Hector
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bergman has got some demons that's for sure, and is totally open about them. This book feels more like psycho-therapy than a manual for film directors but pours a bunch of insight into how and why Bergman makes art like he does. Some amazing stories about his relationship with Ingrid Bergman on 'Autumn Sonata' and his illnesses that he had to deal with throughout his professional career (One great story about the Eiffel tower and his bowel syndrome in there).

I was really glued to this book and f
Ben Houge
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating insight into the mind of a touchstone director. Unsurprisingly, he talks more about theater than filmmaking, as he was doing theater before and after films. Kind of pathetic the way he couldn't really tolerate doing much of anything outside of his home country, but I guess that's part and parcel of his work. Even more pathetic was his attitude towards his five wives and additional partners, dropping a wife for his latest young starlet with no compunction. I watched an interview on th ...more
Arbër Racaj
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a masterpiece, just as most of his films are!
It feels as the writing of this book had a therapeutic value for the author. He reveals a lot of the "shadow" part of his personality and you realize that without this kind of honesty, without this open inner struggle with the demons, there would have never been created such a powerful body of work as his.
I would recommend this not only to film lovers but also to truth seekers as it will inspire you to use your creativity, so you can reve
Sandra
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very self-centred and a bit messy but quite honest as well. Bergman maybe did see himself as a genius that no one understood and should be pitied. Not sure that I share that view though. He did have interesting life but I’m not impressed with his writing and I really do not like how he shallowly covered description of some women he had relationship with. A pig kind of.
Ben Richards
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By no means a paint by number autobiography. A wonderful insight into the life and musings of one of the most accomplished filmmakers of the 20th century. In addition to covering Bergmans’s work in film and theatre, Bergman writes at length about his childhood and many failed relationships.
Vaibhav Munjal
I really wanted to like this book but somehow I couldn't. The kind of honesty I expect out of an autobiography is unusually high, now that I have read A Life by Elia Kazan. Bergman might be a great filmmaker but this book did no justice to his name.
Louis Elsass
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brutally honest

Lost his virginity to his aunt, was a bad father and apparently not a good film maker in the beginning - or that was probably made up
Konstantijn
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
Not great, but very interesting when it comes to Bergman's family policial beliefs, his relation with Ingrid Bergman during the "Autumn Sonata", some of his childhood memories. Though very little information about his films.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Essential Cinema: On the Necessity of Film Canons
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
  • Film Form: Essays In Film Theory
  • Conversations with Scorsese
Ernst Ingmar Bergman was a nine-time Academy Award-nominated Swedish film, stage, and opera director. He depicted bleakness and despair as well as comedy and hope in his explorations of the human condition. He is recognized as one of the greatest and most influential filmmakers in cinematic history.

He directed 62 films, most of which he wrote, and directed over 170 plays. Some of his international
“الصداقة مثل الحب، وجوهر الصداقة يقوم على الصراحة والعاطفة والصدق. من المريح أن ترى وجه صديقك أو تسمع صوته بالهاتف وتتحدث معه حول أمور مؤلمة وملحّة، وتسمعه يعترف بما يخشى التفكير به. إن للصداقة لمسة من الحسيّة، فشكل الصديق ووجهه وعيناه وشفتاه وصوته وحركاته ونبرة صوته، كل هذا محفور فى ذهنك، مفتاح سرّى يمنحك الثقة لأن تبوح بنفسك فى صداقة حقيقية.

إن علاقة الحب تنفجر متحولة إلى صراعات لا يمكن تفاديها، أما الصداقة فلا تحتاج إلى الرغبة نفسها من الاهتياج والتعقيم. فى أحيان كثيرة يلتصق الرمل بين أسطحة التواصل القابلة للخدش ويلى ذلك الأسف والصعوبات. أفكر وأقول لنفسى إننى أستطيع تدبير أمورى جيداً دون هذا الأحمق، ثم يمضى بعض الوقت ويظهر إحساس غير سار بفقدان هذا الشخص، إحساس يعبّر عن نفسه بمستويات مختلفة، واضحة أحياناً ومتكتمة غالباً.

الصداقة لا تعتمد على الوعود والاحتجاجات أو على الزمان والمكان. الصداقة غير متطلبة إلا فى أمر واحد. انها تتطلب الصدق، وهو مطلبها الوحيد، ولكن الصعب.”
109 likes
“I'm planning, you see, to try to confine myself to the truth. That's hard for an old, inveterate fantasy martyr and liar who has never hesitated to give truth the form he felt the occasion demanded. ” 45 likes