Start by marking “Mister Creecher” as Want to Read:
Mister Creecher

Mister Creecher

Billy is a street urchin, pickpocket and petty thief. Mister Creecher is a monstrous giant of a man who terrifies all he meets. Their relationship begins as pure convenience. But a bond swiftly develops between these two misfits as their bloody journey takes them ever northwards on the trail of their target ...Victor Frankenstein.
Friendship, trust and betrayal combine to f
Published October 3rd 2011 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mister Creecher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mister Creecher

Jo
So…

On the back of this book a lovely reviewer from The Times has stated that this book is a “Beautifully written gothic metafiction.”
I, silly little reader, didn’t realise actually how meta this book would be. But I’m getting too far ahead of myself, I’ll talk about the end later.
Let’s start at the beginning seeing as I’ve heard it’s a very good place to start.
The beginning of this book was ok. Mr Priestley did a great job of setting the scene; murky, Victorian Regency London (Mr Priestley kindl
Leslie
Mister Creecher is being pitched as a gateway drug to the classics—and it should be pitched as such.* Familiarity with Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and Charles Dickens’ Oliver Twist deepens the impression of awe with what Priestley is doing here in Mister Creecher. He creates more than a mash-up of Dickens and Shelley, but an intersection; less a reinvention or re-imagination but acts more of an imaginer alongside these two great literary texts. He fills in some blanks in the creation of his own ...more
Cassandra
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Billy schlägt sich als Taschendieb durch. Die nebeligen Straßen des Londons von 1818 sind sein Zuhause. Bei einem seiner nächtlichen Beutezügen entdeckt er eine leblose Gestalt. Die vermeintliche Leiche stellt sich als furchteinflößendes Monster heraus, dass Billy aus einer bedrohlichen Situation hilft, ab diesem Moment gehen der kleine Dieb und Mister Creecher eine ungewöhnliche Partnerschaft ein.

Wer kennt die Geschichte von Frankenstein und seinem Monster nicht? Dieser Stoff hat die Fantasie u
Andrew
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I stumbled across Chris Priestleys books a while ago and have been fascinated with them ever since. He blends accessible and fast paced stories with the essence of the classic gothic terror and suspense story. And as such this story is no different to his earlier books however its style is totally new. This book is one continuous story as it follows the travels of Billy and mister Creecher and their relationship to each other. The book is a fascinating tale of what they experience and see and ho ...more
Leselurch
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Worum geht's?*
London, 1818: Der Straßenjunge Billy kämpft ums nackte Überleben. Bloß durch Diebstähle schafft er es, sich über Wasser zu halten. Als die Lage brenzlig wird und Billys Leben auf dem Spiel steht, wird er unverhofft von einem Riesen gerettet. Billy ist der groteske Mann nicht geheuer, doch er steht eindeutig in seiner Schuld. Als Gegenleistung bittet das Ungetüm, das sich als Mister Creecher vorstellt, Billy darum, zwei Männer in London zu beschatten. Eigentlich will der Straßenjun
Jaidyn L Attard
CONTAINS SPOILERS

I just finished reading Mister Creecher by Chris Priestley and I'm so satisfied because I realised the protagonist isn't just Billy. Turns out he's Bill Sikes on his way to meet Fagin. This is literally the story of how young thief Billy became the asshole he is in Oliver Twist.

Amazing.
Kitty
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it
This continuation of the story of Frankenstein is fun but silly. I didn't like it as much as Priestley's short stories, but it's an enjoyable read.
Erik Buchanan
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm going to start out by saying there are S Because there are moments of good writing in this book. Unfortunately, they are only moments.

I found this one in the YA section, which was a mistake on the library's part. This is not a YA book, not because of the content, which is pretty standard, or because of the language, which is fairly YA. No, issue is the stuffing of literary and historical figures into its scenery, none of whom have a bearing on the plot except "oh, look, it's a literary figur
Danny
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, read-in-2012
I was completely prepared to give Mister Creecher a 4 but then the ending just didn't agree with me.

Mister Creecher is a retelling? of Frankenstein. Personally I don't really know much about Frankenstein apart from the obvious 'I-am-the-result-of-a-bunch-of-hacked-body-bits' and so I was really excited to dig into the story. As always Chris Priestley didn't disappoint and I was sucked into the writing. The plot was kind of simplistic and the end felt really uncompleted to me. It wasn't as scary
Barbara Band
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant ... loved it. A tale about friendship and belonging, this is a twist on the Frankenstein story with some wonderful characters. Evocatively set in both London and the wilds of the North, Chris Priestley manages to set the scene for both locations - from murky fog-filled alleyways to the windswept moors, taking in a Victorian Oxford on the way. But don't get me wrong, this isn't just about a journey; there are some scary moments, some funny moments and a very clever ending!
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok

One thing I forget to mention: the only thing I could think of, by the cover and the description, was the old wrestler The Undertaker. That's apparently what Frankenstein's monster looks like to Chris Priestley.
Jenni
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really loved this alternative take on Frankenstein, thought it fitted really well with the Nick Dear / Danny Boyle version for the National Theatre. Thought the ending was brilliant, very unexpected and very pleasing.
Adrian Chua
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: randoms
3.7 ~ Not really a 3 average, but also not so much a 4? So slightly above average, but not too much :)

The premise of Mister Creecher by Chris Priestly is about a young boy named Billy, who ends up in an unlikely bond with the titular character, "Mister Creecher". The setting of the book itself seems to be in 19th Century London (and then some other parts), which I found great as I still have fresh AC Syndicate images running through my mind. Besides that, the book sets itself as a sort of side s
Vee ♔Under Mountain Books♔
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have recently developed a taste for Frankenstein novels, despite not having read Frankenstein itself (yet). Last week I read This Dark Endeavor, a book which I found rather disappointing and this week, Mister Creecher, a book which a much stronger storyline and characters and I loved it!

Chris Priestley certainly knows how to paint a gritty, realistic picture of London. By the time I had finished the book I wanted to scrub myself. Mister Creecher and Billy were two characters that I really con
Diabolica
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
2 stars

Billy meets Creecher, and they set off on an 'adventure', following Frankenstein, to get Creecher a mate. (Whether Billy wants to or not).

I have no idea what to really say about this book. The premise of which it was written on was fairly intriguing, but it only went downhill from there.

The whole story was not very griping. The pair ran around following this one guilt-ridden man, while fighting about their relationship/friendship.

Even the ending couldn't redeem the novel. If the author
Sophie
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was expecting this book to fill in the blanks of 'Frankenstein', which I think it did in a really imaginative and heart-rending way. I loved how towards the end we realised we were discovering the back stories of Fagin and Bill Sykes from Dickens' 'Oliver Twist'.
I would recommend this book to anyone who loved the original novels, but warn them not to take the plot too seriously (I.e. just ignore the bits that don't make sense in light of the origionals).
An interesting read ****
Midnight Blue
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You'll enjoy the book even more if you've read Dickens' Oliver Twist and, of course, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Very clever--there're also many names from Universal monster movies like Chaney and Browning, just to name a few.
Abigail
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Writerbizwoman
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 11-14-market
Nature verses nurture, anti hero sort of thing. But a great tale!
Adam
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book, full of twists and turns that will keep you reading till there is nothing left to read
TheBookAddictedGirl
Feb 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Horror, Historical and Frankenstein Lovers!
Billy is a thief. Mister Creecher is an outsider, a freakish giant with a monstrous face, who while on the trail of mysterious Frankenstein, saves Billy from death. To begin with, their relationship is pure convenience. Creecher needs Billy to follow Frankenstein. Billy needs Creecher for protection from other thieves. But soon a bond forms between the two, as they realise they may have more in common than they first thought.

But as they follow Frankenstein, can their friendship last? Or will it
Anne
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This has been on my to-read pile for ages and finally the Christmas holidays gave me the time to soak it up. I shouldn't have waited because it is not such a long book as it appears, and because I was swept up completely with the characters of Billy and Mr Creecher. I have been fascinated with Frankenstein ever since I was a teenager so I loved following the story from the monster's side of the action. A Dickens' fan too, I loved the writing 'in the style of' the famous writer.

I have to say tha
Adam Sparks
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm really not sure how I feel about this book.

Firstly, I feel the need to preface this review by noting that I picked it up for cheap (like a £1) in Amazon's daily Kindle book sale. I went into it without knowing that it was basically Frankenstein fan-fiction, and I say that without the negativity I would usually bestow upon that word. I point this out because having read a number of reviews, it seems I was the only one unaware, so I think it's fair to say that this would affect my opinion in c
Lucinda
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mister Creecher is a new addition to the Frankenstein literature shelf that is utterly origional & new and that in no way is a copy or reflection of Mary Shelley's origional work. It is just as chilling and brilliant as Chris Priestley's other works, such as 'the tales of terror collection' and 'the dead of winter' novel that is also deliciously creepy with lots of twists and turns. This book is wonderfully macabre and genuinely spooky that will send chills down your spine and make you unkno ...more
Rebecca Graf
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I never would have picked up this book to read on my own. The cover and the synopsis is not something that appealed to me. But I had read it on a must-read list and decided to give it a try and expand my horizons. I wasn’t disappointed.

This is the story of a young London boy who is picking pockets one night when an old associate catches him ready to do physical harm. Just as he is about to get it, an enormous creature appears and saves him. The creature looks like something
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
There seems to be a bit of trend for ‘new horror’ where the older classics are being revisited for a new generation and re imagined in a way that appeals to a new audience. With Mister Creecher we see the world of Frankenstein being dipped into with new eyes; the view point of a London pick pocket who discovers what he thinks is a dead man but turns out to be a sleeping monster in the form of Frankenstein’s creature (or whom he calls Mister Creecher upon mishearing his name).

I’m a big fan of th
Emma
Aug 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
CLASSICS CARNIVAL - REVIEW BY ANDY - THE PEWTER WOLF

In London 1818, Billy is many things. Street urchin, pick pocket, petty thief. So, when he is attacked by another, he is saved by a giant of a man who he names Mister Creecher. When Mister Creecher offers Billy a job, Billy takes it, purely as Mister Creecher promises to protect him. It was a deal of pure convenience. But the more time they spend together, they become friends as Billy follows Creecher’s target... one Victor Frankenstein.

Now, I
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
Review: Billy is a young thief on the streets of London when he meets Mr Creecher- a giant, mismatched man who is extremely mysterious. However, it doesn’t take long for them to form a strange friendship as together they journey north, following one man in particular- Victor Frankenstein.
In case you haven’t guessed Creecher is Frankenstein’s Creature, and (not so obviously) Billy is Oliver Twist’s Bill Sikes (but much younger). We also meet other characters such as Justine (the girl who hangs af
Misty
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
First off I have to say a big thank you to Donna at Book passion for life for asking me to review this for them, I'd never heard of it and might not have read it otherwise and I'm really glad I did because I ended up really enjoying it.

I've never read Mary Shelley's frankenstein but after this adaption and reading the factful authors note at the end I'd really like to, to see the authors inspirations for Mister Creecher. Chris Priestly has come up with a great twist and made the story his own he
Alexis Drake
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retelling
La creatura viene spacciato come retelling di Frankenstein, ma in realtà è una cosa leggermente diversa.
Qui si suppone che la creatura esista veramente, che sia giù stata creata da Frankenstein e che lo segua per l'europa, aspettando che il dottore si decida a creargli una compagna, e nel mentre Mary Shelley vede la creatura di cui poi scriverà in seguito.
Come idea di base non è per niente male, ed è quello che mi ha affascinata, ma la realizzazione delude molto.
Soprattutto nei primi capitoli ci
Madison Mega-Mara...: Mister Creecher 1 3 Jul 03, 2012 05:34AM
  • The Haunting of Tabitha Grey
  • The Seeing
  • Angel Dust
  • Stones for My Father
  • Tyme's End
  • Chocolate SOS (Jess Jordan, #5)
  • Earthfall (Earthfall, #1)
  • This is Not Forgiveness
  • House Trap
  • India Dark
  • Legend of Witchtrot Road (Spirit Guide, #3)
  • Fever (Parallon Trilogy, #1)
  • The Repossession (Repossession, #1)
  • Wolf Blood
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)
  • David
  • The Rising (Department 19, #2)
  • Predators of Darkness: Aftermath: Book One of the Darkness Series
His father was in the army and so he moved around a lot as a child and lived in Wales. He was an avid reader of American comics as a child, and when he was eight or nine, and living in Gibraltar, he won a prize in a newspaper story-writing competition. He decided then “that my ambition was to write and illustrate my own book”.
He spent his teens in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, before moving to Manchester,