Start by marking “Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Doors of Stone

Patrick Rothfuss

Doors of Stone

(The Kingkiller Chronicle #3)

The third book of The Kingkiller Chronicle.
Audio CD
Published by Brilliance Audio

To ask other readers questions about Doors of Stone, please sign up.
Russell To everyone saying that Pat Rothfuss is not your bitch; that's fine, you're entitled to that opinion. As a customer, we're also entitled to say "this …moreTo everyone saying that Pat Rothfuss is not your bitch; that's fine, you're entitled to that opinion. As a customer, we're also entitled to say "this is taking too long and it's making me an unsatisfied customer." If you put a book series out, and advertise and release it as a trilogy, you have some obligation to release things in a reasonably timely manner, keep people updated on your status, and not miss too many deadlines. You sold it as a trilogy and let me purchase 2/3rds of the product, and are now delaying the final 1/3rd of the product for a significant period of time. I am entitled to be a little annoyed by that, or to question when the book might come out.

If I order a steak dinner, with ministrone soup and a baked potato, and you bring out the ministrone and baked potato in 15 minutes, then tell me after an hour, it'll be another hour for the steak, then after that hour, tell me 2 more hours, then after those 2 hours, tell me you don't know when the steak will be ready, I have a right to be annoyed by that, and most people would walk out of the restaurant and possibly never return if that happened. I empathize with him wanting to get the book perfect, and I'm not saying he's a bad person for not releasing it, but I do have a right to question and be annoyed with and complain about the book not being released yet.(less)

Start your review of Doors of Stone (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #3)
Susan
Jul 25, 2010 marked it as read-upon-release  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the others of the Family.
Creaver Williams
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Chronicler awoke refreshed the following morning, and he walked down to the bar at the Waystone Inn awaiting Kvothe’s arrival to finish the story he had told the past two days. But as the day wore on, and the hours turned from morning until noon until night, Kvothe never came.

When Bast showed up as the sun was setting, Chronicler asked where his master was.

“He needs his sleep,” Bast said. “How can you begrudge him that?”

“Of course,” Chronicler said. “Do you have any idea when he’s going to
Patrick
May 09, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
While it's nice to see folks out there giving this book five stars, and in some cases even reviewing it, I'll admit that I'm kinda puzzled.

After thinking it over for a while, I've realized there's only one explanation for this:

Time travelers love my books.

This is strangely reassuring, as it lets me know that, eventually, I do finish my revisions, and the book turns out good enough so that I still have a following out there in the big ball of wibbly-wobbly.... timey-wimey.... stuff that I like
Samantha
Oct 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One star. Because holy fuck. We see you. We see you at Comic Con and at NerdCon and at PAX. We see you doing this podcast. And that podcast. We see you writing short stories, novellas, and contributing to anthologies. We see you hawking Kickstarter shit and writing for video games. We now see that you're doing some nonsense about ancient gods and monsters on the History Channel (really, The History Channel? Really?). We see you traveling here, and traveling there. We see you with Worldbuilders. ...more
Petra
Aug 09, 2014 marked it as to-read
I started reading this series because I was looking for something to read while waiting for the Winds of Winter.

I mean what's a better way to get over your obsession with an unfinished series than getting obsessed with yet another one right?!

So my new policy: NEVER start reading a fantasy series unless all the books are out. Fantasy authors are demons who are put on this earth to crush your soul and suck the life out of you while you wait endless years for the next installment.

So you know what
Glen
Apr 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
They called him Rothfuss the Ruthless.
Rothfuss the Ruggard.
Rothfuss the Righteous.
He had earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

They say he could stop a man's heart with one word:

Finished.
Bryan Russell
"When you wait a few span or month to hear a finished song, the anticipation adds savor. But after a year excitement begins to sour."

-Kvothe, The Name of the Wind, Ch. 12

What happens after 5 years?
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Dear Pat,

I don’t want to sound impatient but I can’t help but wonder when you’re finally going to grace us with your last book. You see, I’m a sucker for statistics and I did my math so I thought about a lot of things you might be interested in. (The results were pretty alarming and I’m fairly certain you might be inclined to agree with me. XD)

So without further ado I’m going to give you a few reasons to publish “Doors of Stone” a little sooner:

1.) “The Name of the Wind” was first published on M
Beth
Aug 11, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Eric Allen
Yeah, sorry, thanks but no thanks. Don’t care anymore. Won’t be buying it. Won’t be reading it. Hyping up for a book that is seemingly never going to be published is just a waste of time and effort. When an author spends nearly 7 years working on a book that he publicly stated more than a decade ago was already written and then goes on to spend ridiculous amounts of time touring and making appearances, Twitch streaming his gaming habit, running a dozen or so kickstarters, doing some really sketc ...more
Paula Bee
Jan 17, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Patrick Rothfuss's The Kingkiller Chronicle:

also known as "Don’t Do It Kvothe: A trilogy in two parts"
Twerking To Beethoven
Aaaaaaand it's 2020 already.

And, apparently, Rothfuss hasn't been working on book #3 for dogshite. Fuck, I'm laughing. Hard.

Check this shit out! https://www.newsweek.com/kingkiller-c...

"I think you are right," Wollheim responded. "I don't think he's written anything for six years."

Also, check out Amazon Germany trolling the neckbeard!

Capture

Well, fuck me senseless...you shitting me? I can't believe it.

R-5752130-1401664937-7903-jpeg
LULZ

----

HEAR YE! HEAR YE! THERE'S AN UPDATE!

«And b
Sam
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is absolutely unbelievable how many connections there are in this book. In no particular order, here are some interesting things I picked up on:

Kote is the proprietor of a quaint little inn named The Waystone Inn. If you remember, a very young Kvothe explains to Abenthy the tradition of the Greystones, or Waystones, as being an unexpected and pleasant break from the road. Hence, The Waystone Inn. Ironically, the inn Kote runs is of much better quality and offers a much larger selection of goo
idcboobs
May 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Seeing as the book has yet to release and there are already hundreds of 5 star ratings i find it only fair that a book that has enraged me to this point deserves a 1 star.

of course i will buy the book and i more than likely will enjoy the book but that won't help me to like the book as i did with the first.

First let me say; before the release of the name of the wind, Patrick Rothfuss announced the completion of all three books, the three books in this trilogy were completed, the three books who
London
Aug 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly, I would discourage anyone from reading this series, for the sole reason that I no longer believe it will ever be finished.

I would never have started the series had it not been stated that the story as a whole was already complete and all that remained was some editing on the final book.

It has been years without any update as to where in the editing process the author has reached, nor any explanation as to what may be causing delays. Meanwhile, the author has published and released anothe
Kaladin
Aug 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only thing worse than Rothfuss is the pathetic delusional fans that grovel at his feet and still defend him despite his attitude.

I honestly hate the author. Not because he's a slow writer, but because of his awful attitude towards his fans.

He goes off on fans for asking perfectly reasonable questions.

A few years ago someone asked him for an update on the third book, and he got so butthurt he said it would come out in 2020.

He KNOWS that all anyone cares about is the third book, it's the only
Muhtasin Oyshik
I agree with Kvothe.
When you wait a few span or month to hear a finished song, the anticipation adds savor. but after a year excitement begins to sour. By now, a year and a half(nine years and a half) passed and folk were almost mad with curiosity.
-Kvothe, The Name of the Wind, chapter 12
Solemn
Feb 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rothfuss isn't the writer he once was. He's lost the surety in his hand and I can't help but find it greatly ironic that he is now Kote. He needs a book that's perfect but that will never come to be because he's a shadow of his former self. We the fans will wait and wait at that mahagony stretch of bar just like Bast hoping against all hope that our Reshi will come back to himself. Seeing the glimmer in his eyes every now and again as a sure sign that it's just a matter of time. But what we'll s ...more
Filipe Dias
Mar 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-up-hope
Pat.

Let me tell you a story. My girlfriend gave me tNoftW on our first week of dating. Previously, I had handled it in a bookstore, read the synopsis, decided that "maybe it's not for me". I read the book, and by golly, it was amazing. I fell in love with it.

A year later (lucky me) the second book got published. I eagerly waited its translation into Portuguese. My girlfriend saw that I was eagerly waiting for it, and decided to gift it to me (since she gave me the first without barely knowing m
Michael Britt
Mar 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No, this book isn’t out yet (joke’s on us because it’s something Rothfuss just can’t complete) and I hate when people do this, but this quote has made me actually despise an author. Rothfuss’ completely flippant attitude towards this book has made me feel like this series is just a joke to him. I mean, come on, Wise Man’s Fear was a joke (basically just Kvothe seducing an unseduceable sex fairy and then he goes on a sexual conquest) and then he comes out and says this:

“I am an author who has tr
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Ahem. I'm a time-traveller and I call this one total crap. Hopefully, in the current timeline, it will get constructed better than in the one I read it and found out it was Meh!

For reals, I stopped half-way through the 1st book when I realised I was falling in love with it and would want to read the whole trilogy in 1 sitting. Hah, it's been a decade since then ... and there's a significant chance that I grew up since then and won't love it as much...

Ha-ha, it's the most highly-rated unexisting
Robin (Bridge Four)
Look it has a cover. Does this mean we will have a release date soon.....

Dianna ♡ the belle and the book ♡
The year is 2022.

I'm in my room, huddled underneath my blankets reading Doors of Stone. I haven't gotten up from my bed in hours, no bathroom breaks or snack times. Sleep and I have not seen each other in days. I'm dying to know why the series is called the Kingkiller Chronicles. Will Kvothe kill a king? How did Kvothe meet Bast? What's inside the Lackless box? What will happen with the Cthaeh? Am I correct in guessing who Master Ash truly is? What happened to Denna? Just kidding, I don't care
Klaus
SO, Patrick Rothfuss just released a blog post. The preview looks like this:

We all need Something To Look Forward To…
Hey there!
You’ve known it was coming, and now it’s here.

...and obviously I was completely freaking out because I thought: OHMYGODITSHAPPENING! HE'S FINISHED THE BOOK! 2020 ISN'T THAT BAD AFTER ALL!
....

Oh, my sweet summer child... no, it's just another fundraiser. And while I think it's great that this man does so much charity, the way he announced it just makes me FURIOUS. Not
Julio Genao
Aug 08, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
for some reason people have taken it upon themselves to use their review space for an as-yet-unpublished novel to talk shit about the author.

a lot of people.

i recommend the immediate flagging of all such reviews.

also the enthusiastic gibbeting of their creators.

and the immediate canonization of the holy sacred Text That Is Still Too WIP To Have Given Any Sane Person Cause To Have Any Opinion Whatsoever On Anything, Ever.

under no circumstances should you peruse such reviews in the interval betwee
Melanie
2.5) The Slow Regard of Silent Things ★★★★★
3.) Doors of Stone n/a

Dreamer
Apr 14, 2012 marked it as not-published-yet  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for this book to come out. Patrick Rothfuss is an incredible writer. We all want Kvothe to get his powers back..

Trilogies are so much better than epic fantasy series that just go on & on & on & on (take note George RR Martin).
Sean
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a few suggestions myself as to the mysteries of the book. If you are anti-spoilers, DO NOT READ PAST THIS POINT.

For many, the immediate assumption is that Kvothe and Denna will get together. I initially assumed this as well, however i found something that was a little misleading if this was the case.

Kvothe quite clearly states when "The Woman" is enterring into the book:

'Kvothe smiled. "Not women, Bast. A woman. The woman." Kvothe looked
Doors of Stone...Ever? 12 674 Jan 04, 2019 04:37PM
Searching for a book 1 30 May 28, 2018 09:13AM
My thoughts on the last book 8 254 Apr 12, 2018 06:33AM

• The Lord of the Rings: The Trilogy
  • The Winds of Winter (A Song of Ice and Fire, #6)
  • Project Daily Grind (Mirror World, #1)
  • Rogues
  • The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4)
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Selected Themes from the Motion Picture - Piano Solos
  • Dan Brown Boxed Set: Digital Fortress / Deception Point / Angels and Demons / The Da Vinci Code
  • The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)
  • Household Gods
  • Disciple of War (Art of the Adept Book 4)
  • Blood of the Lost (The Darkness Within Saga, #2)
  • Another Word for Magic (Family Law Book 6)
  • Dungeons of the Crooked Mountains (Underdog, #1)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • Shadow Rogue Ascendant (Shadow Rogue #2)
  • The Bitch Is Back (The Kurtherian Endgame Book 10)
  • Cauldron of Ghosts (Honorverse: Wages of Sin, #3)
  • Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
It all began when Pat Rothfuss was born to a marvelous set of parents. Throughout his formative years they encouraged him to do his best, gave him good advice, and were no doubt appropriately dismayed when he failed to live up to his full potential.

In high-school Pat was something of a class clown. His hobbies included reading a novel or two a day and giving relationship advice to all his friends

The Kingkiller Chronicle (3 books)
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)

Articles featuring this book

There's no such thing as "too many books." That's our mantra (once again) as we welcome a new year full of irresistible reading....