Start by marking “Momentum” as Want to Read:
Momentum

Momentum

In the near future, energy wars are raging across the globe, blackouts are a regular occurrence, and the privileged Citizens and the desperate Outsiders of London live very separate lives. Hunter is a Citizen whose father works for the government; yet he cannot help being fascinated by the Outsiders' ingenuity and, in particular, their mastery of free running. But when he ...more
Published 2011 by Hodder Children's Books (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Momentum, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nicole
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, teen
"'...but it is not enough to patch up the system. We must live differently. Here we fix things ourselves, grow things ourselves, make things ourselves, and by doing this we have made ourselves strong again.'

'So basically, your plan is for us to give everything up and go back to living in caves again?...

'No caves for us. Outsiders are masters of technology. But that's just it, we're masters not slaves. We use it to bring us together, not to make us stupid and separate like you to.'"

Quite poignant
Roo MacLeod
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
This story doesn’t stop for breath, it flies and soars. Hunter lives the good life as a citizen, and citizens are rich and priviledged, but they seek a greater state of Nirvana by living through the net in virtual reality. Uma is an outsider, a poor person, living in the slums and their paths cross because Hunter despairs of the virtual world and seeks adventure by practising the art of free running, the skill the Outsiders employ to outrun the Cossacks and the helicopters that hunt them.

The nov
Adolfo Yanez
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this book is great, is not boring it always keeps you reading even when you don't have time to read you want to keep reading this book it just that good, this book is really good in how it described the moments I enjoy the book.
Angela
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
London is under crisis. The world is running out of oil, and the city is constantly fighting to keep their power on. There's a huge divide between the classes—the upper-class Citizens live in luxury, in London proper, and the Outsiders live in the slums. The two aren't meant to mix. Ever. The slums are periodically raided, destroying the lives of the Outsiders. Resentment is everywhere.

But Hunter, a Citizen, has always been interested in the Outsiders. His Citizen lifestyle is constrictive. As f
Raeesa
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, sci-fi
not very well written, not a great book. maybe i've been reading too much dystopia because i'm not in that mood anymore but i didn't really like this.
(view spoiler)
Alex Newton
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I originally picked up this book, I figured it would be the typical young adult story. I thought it would be the same, recycled, two teens from completely different worlds fall in love. I am pleasantly surprised to say that it is the exact opposite. While there is a bit of a underlying love story, it is brilliantly overshadowed by the incredibly well written story and future created by Saci Lloyd. The story follow Hunter and Uma. Hunter is a priveleged teen who wants nothing more than to be ...more
Wally
Hunter, a middle class Citizen, falls in with Uma, an outcast Outsider, and her friends in a high-energy action adventure that pits the secure and security-minded upper classes of rich London against the DIY lower classes. When Uma ends up with the top secret access codes to the Outsider movement’s communication networks, Hunter helps her keep them from the authorities, including his father, who works for the government but who has very mixed feelings about his job.

This is a solid action novel t
Candy Wood
Momentum is an apt title for this YA novel that is on the 2011 Guardian longlist. The action rarely slows except for a few Romeo and Juliet moments between the central characters. The setting is London, not very far into our own future. Hunter is a Citizen who looks for excitement by climbing abandoned tower blocks in the East End, while Uma is an Outsider who lives in the Bow favela. The Internet is central to the plot: Citizens stay plugged in through RETScans that can be sources of informatio ...more
Anne
Hunter lives in a near-future London where the world has depleted their energy supplies, there are frequent blackouts, and the people are divided into two distinct groups: Citizens and Outsiders. Hunter is a Citizen with a very influential father, yet he is fascinated by the Outsider culture. The Outsiders have managed to create their own sustainable energy sources plus they have mastered an art they call “free running.” He is drawn into their world and an unexpected friendship with a girl named ...more
Alma
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
As I was reading “Momentum,” I was struck by its similarities to the classic book “The Outsiders” by S.E. Hinton. Just as in “The Outsiders,” the characters in “Momentum” are separated Rich versus Poor. In “Momentum,” the poor, known as “Outsiders,” have rebelled against the government for its wastefulness, especially concerning energy, and have been forced to live in slum housing, trying to live the best they can.

Read the rest of my review at: http://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.c...
Susie
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I love this author. I had to order this through the British leg of our book vendor, but it was worth the wait! She is so edgy and her writing seems so premonitional! Is that a word? I just feel like I am seeing the actual future of our world, even though it so bleak and divisive. I liked the Carbon Diaries just a bit more, if only because they were less bleak...a bit more hopeful. But Lloyd is just wonderful!
Mel Raschke
Hunter was born to a life of security as a Citizen, but secretly envies the Outsiders for what he perceives to be their great freedom. Through a series of events, he finds himself tangled up in the secret life of Uma, an Outsider who has a life or death errand to perform. If she fails, Outsiders throughout the world will be hunted down and killed by Kossaks, the government’s soldiers who will stop at nothing to make sure the government is always right
Kirsten
Just finished this book...
It's safe to say that I didn't think it'd be my kind of book, and I did find it hard to get into, but after getting about quarter of the way through, you're saddened when you need to put it down! I didn't want it to end!
So much suspense and excitement, sadness, loss, love... :3
It was a very entertaining read! :)
Joan
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge
This novel is set far in the future and in a London struggling to maintain life as we know it amidst energy wars and a deep gap between standards of living for its residents. The story is very fast paced and involves young people living a very technologically aware life. A fascinating but frightening glimpse of the future if we do not take more care of our world.
Venec M.
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Action lovers
A book that is as exciting as it is creative. Let me just say, it is VERY creative. In a world where people are consumed by virtual reality, there are places where no one but the Outsiders go; the Dreamline. It contains dark secrets. Dangerous secrets. And Hunter Nash just might find some of those secrets out.
Dylan Tadrus
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Momentum was a fast paced book readers love. Saci Lloyd was using very good characterization in her in this book. this book setting takes place in the future and that aspect makes you think. I would deeply recommend this book to sci-fi and fantasy fiction lovers. So, what are you waiting gain your momentum and read this book.
Andrew
May 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of those stories that pulls you along and leaves you breathless. Saci Lloyd may just be one of the best and most under-rated writers for you g people of her generation. You really get a sense that her vision of the near future could become reality.
Bella
May 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dystopian, lame-books
ugh. I bought this because of the cover and

I regret it. totally.

the first 100 pages are a bore. was thinking the story will get better after that.... but it didn't. and it got such a shitty ending too, though

can't I just unread it???????
Ivy Zheng
Dec 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I shouldn't give it 2 stars but also not a 4 stars so a 3 stars is fair enought. I kind of like some parts but also don't like some parts. But I really enjoy reading dystopian novels and love to do a review about them. But this one isn't what I had in mind.
Benn Jones
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A dystopian book set in London, and much like Hunger Games it was written in a very simple way. If you don't mind the unchallenging simplicity of the writing, then its a story worth a read if you're into the whole dystopian genre right now.
Ruth Gilbert
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book.
Marta
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced, addictive. A really exciting way to highlight issues we should all be thinking about. Also cleverly ended, begging for a sequel. More please!
BlackroseBlackheart
Sep 15, 2012 rated it liked it
nice... don't really have time to review :(
Clay
Oct 06, 2011 marked it as to-read
Guardian longlist.

Zane Ryker
It's good but it leaves u want the book not to end . When it does end you want to read the second book but their isn't one
Jen Ings
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This took me a while to get in to but once I did I really enjoyed it!
Natalie
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the book and I thought the beginning and middle were good but I thought the ending was quite poor and predictable.
Stefanie Stokes
Dec 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
By chapter 13 I found that this book named Momentum lacked any. There wasn't enough world-building and I just didn't care enough about the characters to continue.
Theara

• Wreckers
  • Prince of Pot
  • Path to the Stars: My Journey from Girl Scout to Rocket Scientist
  • The Geomancer's Compass
  • The Disappeared (The Disappeared #1)
  • Annie and Helen
  • Last Pick (Last Pick, #1)
  • MetaWars: Fight for the Future
  • Fearless
  • Everybody Jam
  • 1.4 (Point 4, #2)
  • Unison Spark
Saci Lloyd was born in Manchester, but raised in Anglesey where she spent a lot of time lost in nature or down by the shore.

Saci returned to Manchester as an undergraduate, but soon quit University for a life of glamour. At various points in the glitz she has worked as a very bad cartoonist, toured the States in a straightedge band, run an interactive media team at an advertising agency, co-founde