Start by marking “Tre camere a Manhattan” as Want to Read:
Tre camere a Manhattan

Tre camere a Manhattan

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  952 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
Simenon scrisse Tre camere a Manhattan in appena sei giorni, nel gennaio 1946. E' un racconto autobiografico: lo scrittore, infatti, aveva da poco incontrato Denyse Ouimet, che in seguito diventerà la sua seconda moglie. Il romanzo è ambientato a New York, dove Simenon era arrivato il 5 ottobre 1945. E' la storia di François, attore francese che va a vivere nella metropoli ...more
Hardcover, I Grandi Romanzi del Corriere della Sera #12, 192 pages
Published January 1st 2002 by RCS Editori (first published 1946)

Agnieszka

On this chilly October morning, he was a man who had cut all the threads, a man approaching fifty, without ties to anything—not to family, profession, country, himself, and definitely not to a home. His only connection was to a complete stranger, a woman sleeping in his room in a seedy hotel.

It’s not a great reading, it’s not even original one yet somewhat managed to get under my skin. Story about Francois, middle-aged, recently divorced actor who just landed in New York. And Kay, similarly lost
David
One of Simenon's American novels, Three Bedrooms in Manhattan starts out gritty and languid. Which is great because I'm a big-time fan of gritty and languid. You can almost hear the seedy downtempo jazz wafting around the novel like smoke rings. A muted trumpet and an itchy drum brush, maybe. Two desperate semi-alcoholic European transplants (Frank and Kay) wander up and down 5th Avenue in the dead of night. Why? It's basically like they're trying to give loneliness the slip, at the pace of a dr ...more
Tony
François Combe has fled France, where his wife has left him for a much younger man, and landed in New York. He's an actor by trade and could probably get work if he only had a phone. He meets Katherine - call me Kay - in an all-night diner and after eggs, many cigarettes, and an interminable walk, they wind up in bed. Finally, finally, François believes, he has fallen in love. This, notwithstanding that he is immediately jealous of her previous lovers, and is convinced she is lying! So . . .

"You
Mary
Sep 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2014, nyrb
I was so alone, so hopelessly alone, I was so low, and I knew that I’d never pull out of it again, so I decided to leave with the first man who showed up, no matter who he was.

That first man was the divorced and achingly lonely Francois Combe.

Francois and Kay quickly procure a hotel room and embark on several hazy days and nights of love-making, walking, drinking, talking and obsessing. And then, like the rest of the jaded souls among us, Francois panics when the unexpected happens….happiness.
Aloke
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, france, fiction
Simenon trains his x-ray like gaze on New York, on romance and on loneliness.

It feels like wandering through Edward Hopper's New York, especially "Nighthawks" (painted in 1942, four years before this book was written):
Nighthawks by Edward Hopper 1942
Lewis Manalo
I'm not going to say that this isn't a really well-crafted book, but Holy Jesus it's depressing. Three Bedrooms is the story of two middle-aged drunks falling in love in the West Village in the 1940s. The psychology of the male protagonist is spot-on - which makes it really, really depressing.

This book should be read with a fifth of scotch and only after you've been dumped, when you're still going through the shock of withdrawal. That way the ending will seem happy.
Stefania T.
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

“Adesso non mi sembra più una partenza, sai, ma un arrivo”.

Ansia.
ARRIVO.
Aggrappata.
Rick Skwiot
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the late Georges Simenon (1903-1989) may well be the best selling novelist ever, relatively few American readers know him. And if they do, it’s likely for his Parisian Inspector Maigret detective series.

However, Europeans know him well. They even call any compressed, economically written and tense psychological novella of obsession a simenon, after the Belgian-born writer. This newly released edition of his searing 1946 novel of sexual obsession and isolation, Three Bedrooms in Manhatta
Fil
《Non mi sembra più una partenza, sai, ma un arrivo.》

Ormai non ho più dubbi. Simenon non è un giallista. E' un grande scrittore. È stata la mia "rivalutazione dell'anno".

Ha scritto oltre 400 romanzi senza mai scendere in banalità. Oltre al centinaio di gialli su Maigret, ha prodotto ben 117 romanzi psicologici di cui, fino al mese scorso, ignoravo totalmente l'esistenza. Probabilmente tutti eccellenti, con il suo solito stile semplice e delicato. (Simenon ha affermato di aver usato solo 2000 paro
Simona
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
E' il secondo libro che leggo di Simenon, la cui scrittura elegante e raffinata ha la capacità di avvolgermi come una morbida e calda coperta nelle freddi notti invernali. Lo stesso gelo che si prova in quelle notti invernali è lo stesso freddo, lo stesso gelo che provano François, attore francese che giunge a New York e Kay, che nonostante non sia bellissima, ha nella voce quella tristezza e amarezza che conquista immediatamente François.
Una storia di due anime perse, sole, immerse nella loro
J.
The sky was even darker at five in the morning than at midnight. The streetlights did nothing to dispel the gloom, and the spitting rain threatened to continue all day.
That chill in the air is not just the tense immediacy of the story, moment to moment, but the recognition of something personal, visceral, dreadful, and irreversible -- told in nearly police-ledger deadpan.

The City is the only real constant in the book, noirish but glimmering, whereas the ongoing relation between humans is some
Elizabeth
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite love stories ever. A washed-up, middle-aged, divorced French actor named Francois meets a beautiful stranger named Kay in a Greenwich Village diner. They become inseparable, spending their nights smoking, drinking, making love, and exploring the city to battle their loneliness and insomnia. Simenon is a master at letting us into Francois' head and describing
the hatred and constant betrayal that come with obsessive love. Francois reminds me of the protagonists in Alberto Moravi
Procyon Lotor
Strangers in the night New York, notte. Lui non sa niente di lei, lei non sa niente di lui. Sono come due naufraghi, e ora sono cos� tenacemente avvinti l'uno all'altro che la sola idea della separazione risulta loro intollerabile". Libro sessualmente eversivo: si racconta di una attrazione fra due persone adulte consenzienti senza strategie, vestiario, status e vernici paraphernalia e paccottiglia varia. Argomento - se ci pensate - difficilissimo ma Simenon � all'altezza.
Alessandra Gadola
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primo libro di Simenon per me. Grande scoperta la sua scrittura pulita, snella e possente. Essenziale. La storia è essenziale anch essa: una donna e un uomo a metà della loro vita, stanno annegando nelle loro solitudini ma una notte si incontrano e tutto può cambiare, tutto cambia. La ricchezza del libro sta nei pensieri, gli umori le contraddizioni, le piccolezze, le nefandezze, il candore, la purezza dei due protagonisti che cominciano ad amarsi. Per la prima volta ho trovato tutto quello che ...more
Allan
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My third Simenon, and more akin to the standalone that I had previously read as opposed to the Maigret, which I wasn't fussed on. A middle aged French actor enters into what becomes a passionate relationship with a woman he meets in a bar with a backstory not exactly clear, and the insecurities and feeling that arise from this from his viewpoint are documented. Supposedly semi autobiographical, a well written book that I enjoyed without loving.
Violeta Staykova
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not a happy book but a good one nevertheless...and now I am fully aware that Simenon didn't write only detective books :)
Ubik 2.0
Premessa OT: non ho letto e non possiedo il libro corrispondente all'icona qui accanto. Casualmente ho trovato e letto una copia di Tre Camere a Manhattan in cartonato finchè mi sono reso conto con stupore che solo qualche decina di anobiiani aveva letto il romanzo con 2 (due!) commenti. Nella versione più diffusa invece lo stesso romanzo (stessa casa editrice, stessa traduttrice!) vanta migliaia di possessori e qualcosa come 150-200 recensioni (fra l'altro con 4 stelle di media invece di 3,5)! ...more
Suni
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Subito dopo la fine della Seconda Guerra Mondiale un famosissimo scrittore europeo su cui aleggiano sospetti di filonazismo e collaborazionismo si trasferisce con moglie e figlio negli Stati Uniti.
Il bisogno di un aiuto con l'inglese gli fa assumere una giovane segretaria canadese, di cui inevitabilmente si innamora ― tanto che la sposerà in seconde nozze e da lei avrà altri tre figli.
Questo però non è il riassunto di "Tre camere a Manhattan", bensì la vicenda personale di Simenon, che con una s
Melinda
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Three Bedrooms in Manhattan closely based on the story of Georges Simenon's own meeting with his second wife.

"It was almost a game--and deeply pleasurable. This was the third room they'd been in together, and in each he'd discovered not only a new Kay but new reasons to love her, different ways of loving her."

Unemployed French actor whose wife has abandoned him for a much younger man finds himself living in New York coping with loneliness. He happens to meet an equally lonely divorcee and th
Cloudbuster
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un uomo e una donna si incontrano per caso in un bar di Manhattan e, dopo qualche chiacchiera e vari cocktail, finiscono a letto in un’anonima camera d’hotel. Sembrerebbe una normale storia di una notte di sesso; in realtà, sia l’uomo che la donna sono disperatamente soli, con delle vite stanno andando a rotoli, e si aggrappano disperatamente a questa storia. Nasce un rapporto molto tormentato, fatto di diffidenze, sospetti, gelosie e slanci di generosità. I due protagonisti dovranno toccare il ...more
Garen
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Ok, so I have decided that I hate reading Simenon. I hate it for the same reasons that I hate to read Hemmingway, in spite of the fact that both authors have a rabid following -- And that particular following tends to be men whom I adore: Warm, bright (brilliant, in fact), sensitive, witty, engaged and engaging, attentive, charming men. Really! I have been recommended to read this crap by a number of my favorite guys.

I think.... ok, I've only read three Simenon, but that's all I care to read....
Rosalba
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
…e riprendono a camminare instancabili, come se non potessero fare altro che camminare, come se avessero sempre camminato così, per le strade di New York, alle cinque del mattino.

Due anime sole, ognuna con alle spalle le proprie delusioni, i propri abbandoni, si incontrano casualmente una notte in un bar. Vagano a lungo per le strade di Manhattan, e poi si amano, dapprima con rabbia e disperazione, e infine scoprono di non poter più fare a meno l’uno dell’altra.

Quella marcia silenziosa andava as
Lorri Steinbacher
Here's the thing, I loved the tone: filled with both ennui and that anxious uncertainty of a new relationship. It also captured that late night Manhattan vibe, and Simenon had me until the physical violence. I get jealousy, even from as precarious a relationship as Kay and Francois. I even get the anger that can explode from people, particularly certain types of men, when they feel powerless and uncertain, but the physical violence, brief and unexpected as it was, was a deal breaker for me. I fo ...more
Mary Sue
Jun 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1945, this novella is extremely politically incorrect for our era. For example the male character punches the female in the face. Her reaction...Oh, he cares for me! Not acceptible to me.
Story involves two lonely divorced people who meet in a bar in Manhattan. They leave the bar together despite his irritation with her habits. They walk, and walk, and walk and have another couple of drinks, then walk and walk and walk. Eventually they get to the three bedrooms. She talks the
Fredsky
There is excellent introduction by Joyce Carol Oates that I found gratifying, because she agreed with me about Simenon's 'simenons.' She also says that Combe, the central character here, is the most autobiographical of all of Simenon's characters. This opinion made me pay closer attention to the quasi-hero than I might have done. The story describes a pair of hungry, needy, wounded, lonely,and sexually charged people in exile from Europe as they meet and get together. It is a painful story! I di ...more
Chris
Apr 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Occasionally lovely little love story weirdly colored by the clenched-fist machismo/cruelty of the time (I guess). But, there was still a sort of sweetness there as these two people fall in love over, that's right, three bedrooms. Plus there aren't many books that turn the description 'asswipe' into something revelatory, but here's one.
Emily
Jan 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
ugh. Perhaps something can be said for the author's ability to create a completely unlikeable character, but that doesn't fly with me. I have to be able to like at least one character to enjoy a book...but that's just me.
Karen
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love this book, because I didn't like the characters very much. I did like the way Simenon described New York, I could see the streets, the restaurants, the stores, the bars, and the Three Bedrooms.
Greg
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those cases where I really wanted to like the book more than I did. I'd give it 3.5 stars if the goodreads would Let me.
Stefano
Mi sto avventurando in maniera asistematica - meglio: casuale - nel vasto corpus dell'opera di Simenon. Sono appena agli inizi, questo è il terzo titolo che affronto, affascinante ma di gran lunga inferiore a La camera azzurra e L'uomo che guardava passare i treni. Però resta un bel romanzo, nel quale riconosco tratti comuni agli altri due, quel senso di trasporto che non conosce ragione, quelle forze profonde che scardinano le regole della convenienza con facilità irrisoria, rendendo gli indivi ...more
NYRB Classics: Three Bedrooms in Manhattan, by Georges Simenon 1 7 Oct 30, 2013 08:42PM
  • The Other House
  • Afloat
  • My Fantoms
  • Apartment in Athens
  • The Big Clock
  • The Notebooks of Joseph Joubert (New York Review Books Classics)
  • Pages from the Goncourt Journals
  • The Old Man and Me
  • The Outward Room
  • No Tomorrow
  • The Slaves of Solitude
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

“The place smelled of fairgrounds, of lazy crowds, of nights when you stayed out because you couldn't go to bed, and it smelled like New York, of its calm and brutal indifference.” 23 likes