Start by marking “The Ant-Man of Malfen (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ant-Man of Malfen (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf, #1)

The Ant-Man of Malfen (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  175 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Some names are best forgotten ... The Nameless Dwarf follows the trail of the last of his race to the mountains bordering Qlippoth, a wasteland born from the dreams of a craven god. But the survival of the dwarves depends on his willingness to confront the bloody deeds of his past, and the ruler of the brigand town of Malfen, who guards the pass into Qlippoth—an aberration ...more
Published December 1st 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about The Ant-Man of Malfen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ant-Man of Malfen

Bookwraiths
Originally reviewed at Bookwraiths Reviews

The Ant-Man of Malfen (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf #1) is a novella that doesn’t put on any pretensions about what it is. Nope, this is a sword and sorcery extravaganza that throws you right into the action, casts you adrift in a complex world, beguiles you with twists and turns, makes you chuckle with dark humor, and never lets you get off its entertaining roller coaster ride. This story is gritty! It’s blood-soaked! Yet, somehow, it is also insig
Montzalee Wittmann
A Dwarf With No Name (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf #1) or The Ant-Man of Malfen by D.P. Prior has the Nameless dwarf traveling to his fellow dwarves but along the way he encounters lots of trouble. This book he battles ant men. Doesn't sound scary? Wait til you read about them! Great action, battles, and plot. Great characters and dialogue. Getting to feel like I know these characters and traveling along with them but I will let them fight, lol.
Chris Salch
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes fantasy
Shelves: read-reviewed
Very well written! The world of the Nameless dwarf has a great deal of depth and richness to it. Reading through this story has made me want to go hunt down other books in the Nameless Dwarf series just to explore the world Prior has put together. The forward also struck a cord with me as I've done a bit of role playing on in the past and often wondered about writing something based on an old character. One thing I will say for Prior, he is very good at describing combat and his Nameless dwarf d ...more
Melinda
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
StoriWith tongue firmly planted in cheek, the author starts off with a bang and never looks back. This is one of a series of stories about a Nameless Dwarf and you cant help but fall in love with him. The characterization of the dwarf and his companions is lush and complex, the wordsmithing beautifully targeted to achieve the proper feel and tone for each sentence, paragraph and scene. The plot is tight, the pacing never lets up and the vocabulary is spot on for each circumstance. There is humor ...more
Thomas Edmund
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not being familiar with the world, I wasn't too sure what I was going to get myself into with this novella. Prior provides a helpful foreword introducing Nameless - a dwarf supertank whose origins lie in the early role-playing games of this author's youth.

Its probably a no-brainer to point out this is fantasy adventure at its most pure. In a short novella Prior packs in a massiva amount of world-building and history, and despite the actual story being fairly basic (hey it is a novella after all)
Stewart
Nov 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I give this four stars for two reasons. The first is that this is too short and the nameless dwarf is awesome. Really though, I gave it four because of all the names and places in it. By that I mean I felt a little bogged down with all of them. Not necessarily in a bad way, and there is a glossary in the back, it was just kind of hard to keep up. Otherwise this was really good and I am going to find more of this nameless dwarf.
Doug Ward
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book!!!  Nameless is an intriguing character. It is del edited. If you like fantasy give this one a try.  WARNING!!!  I am a little hooked so I am off right now to buy the next in the series. The only con I can find is that I really wish it was just a longer novel. I tend to burn out early on serials. I have to add a new note. I just purchased THE NAMELESS DWARF which contains all the books. Now I don't have to fear the burnout. So happy now!!!!!
Scott Collins
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty solid fantasy read in my opinion. There's a lot of back story that I'd like clarity on, but as a quick jump into the action to hook me into the story, great job. I like the twists in the story, the dark past of Nameless (and I love that others call him Nameless). It's gritty, it's exciting, it's funny. I'd recommend it for the teen and up set.
Charlie
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great novella

This is a wonderful and fast read about a dwarf with no name. This is your basic fantasy about a dwarf on a mission and the people that he meets. Great beginning to what I hope to be an enjoyable series.
Gerald Black
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A rollicking ride but a bit short
Moses Siregar III
Great character (the nameless dwarf), great language skills from the author, great fantasy world-building. This is worth a read, and it seems to be listed for free now.
Chuck
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short book, but fun!
Terry
Jun 15, 2012 added it
Not bad. It was too short though. Reading book two.
Flurries
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent entry to the series
Sam Gamgee
Given to me as a gift. Didn't care for the narrator's voice at the start, but then he switches voice from close to one character's mind and moves on. Found the book amusing and interesting and will probably read the next eventually. It's no Lord of the rings, Narnia, Kingkiller Chronicles, Wheel of Time, Dune, or Potter. But it's a quick, and easy fantasy read. It ends unfinished and does not stand alone.
Michael Kelly
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fairly short novella, first in 'The Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf', which does a good job of introducing its main character and supporting cast in a solid but straightforward fantasy yarn.

The Dwarf is nameless as his name was stripped from him by his own people for his behaviour. He further made the social faux pas of slaughtering many of them while possessed by a cursed axe. The remaining Dwarfs fled in the most dangerous direction possible. Now Nameless has set out - freed from the curse
Christopher Ainsworth
A decent start to a series, likeable characters, contant looming or direct peril. Place names tend to scramble the brain somewhat with names like "Qippoth" and others that have already skipped my brain due to their oddess, does make it a bit a problem getting the lay of the land. A story of a hero (possibly) with a dark past not even he knows on a quest of atonement, battling not onlythe forces arrayed against him but his own personal demons. Gritty and grim with well written fight scenes, I'll ...more
Catherine Vickers
Great little story, though too much going on for a small book, so I got a little confused at times. A little on the gruesome side, but only a wee bit.

Characters come together in their own little quests, for a big finale. Great characters portraying as I liked them all. Big baddie is bit of a monster, but he's not in it much.

Loved the ending. It just seemed right though it also seemed a little rushed.

If you love dwarves, as I do, then this story is for you.
Sue
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
I had a somewhat difficult time with the language of this book to begin with, but as I read along it seemed to get a little easier. Had I already read The Lord of the Rings trilogy, it might have been a little easier. Of course, the language (names of characters and places specifically) would be different in both books, but it does take a little practice to get used to those things. Otherwise, it was all right. I bought this as a package, so I will continue on with the others in the series.
Seth Tucker
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great start. This is a very quick read but is well worth it. A sword in sorcery piece that hints at greater mysteries yet to come. A fun read for those who like their fantasy not too heavy.
Burnett
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kobo-books
Excellent read this is how a series is to start, Just enough loose ends to make sure you get the next in the series but not too much so you lose interest, excellent
J
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Grimy.
The setting, the characters, the dialogue, and the narrative. It's grimy.
Not necessarily in a bad way. It's done that way on purpose and quite well.

It feels like an episode out of the sort of cheesy over the top action series that one might enjoy to chuckle at on occasion when they are flipping through channels in search of some raucous destruction.
There is very little in the way of thematic development and so there really is no message or greater meaning to find. It's just fun--a gore-lad
D.P. Prior
Dec 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Sword & Sorcery, D&D, fantasy and dwarves
Nameless is a manic-depressive pariah whose past is littered with atrocities. With an almost elemental ferocity and a gift for violence, Nameless alternates between bouts of crippling depression and boisterous episodes of elation, which are usually brought on by the prospect of a good fight. He also has an eye for the women - particularly those under four feet tall.

This story also introduces Silas Thrall, a student of the mantic arts with a dark secret that consumes him more each day; and Nils F
Arwen
Dec 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Since I read all of these back-to-back I’m going to just do one review for all of the books. This series felt like the author put all every conceivable science fiction, fantasy and horror troupe into a bag and just started pulling stuff out. Lets see an um Dwarf, next an Ant-Man, zombies, a cyclops, oh and here’s a Biblical reference to Jonah. Then lets also have a changeling, a novice wizard and a helpless but good-hearted boy. Out of a blender and onto the pages of your Kindle. Entertaining, b ...more
G L Meisner
Jul 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
This book was boring. I could hardly finish it. Prior spent far to much time describing the world and far to little on character development or action. Hell the title should have been a clue, he renamed it Nameless Dwarf Book 1: The Dwarf With No Name should have seen the horrible pacing and lack of action coming a mile away. But like a sucker I tried it any way.

Don't make my mistake.
Shawn Fairweather
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Pretty generic on most fronts, a plus because it was free however. The story is a very fast novella to read which gave the impression that it was taken out of a larger piece rather than being stand alone. I would have prefered a little more development rather than racing through the story.
Matthew
Nov 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fast, and fun

it is a good fun and fast read. I enjoyed how we are taken on a journey. I could not put it down and I will be reading the whole series
Arthur
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

Awesome novella about a crazy dwarf and his colleagues. The author draws you into a great story. I just could not stop reading it.
Feji Cherian
rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2015
Joye
rated it it was ok
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Touch of Night
  • Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)
  • Balance of Fate (Delver Magic, #3)
  • The Dead Love Longer
  • Demonworld
  • The Jongurian Mission (The Jongurian Trilogy, #1)
  • Dark Fate The Gathering (Dark Fate, #1)
  • The Bad Death
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Thread Skein
  • At the Queen's Command (Crown Colonies, #1)
  • Ascendancy (The Godswar Saga, #1)
  • The Year of the Dragon Omnibus Edition (The Year of the Dragon, #1-4)
  • The Fall of Onagros
  • Death Magic (Haven, #6)
  • Goblins Know Best: The Trivial Trials of Bogrot and Gorag
  • From Hell with Love (The Forsaken Comedy Book 1)
  • Sorcerer
D.P. Prior was born in Eastbourne in the south of England, spent a few years in Australia, and now lives in Florida, USA. A former actor, musician, psychiatric nurse, personal trainer, and fiction editor, he now writes full-time.

Prior is a student of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing, and Weight Lifting. He has a Bachelor's Degree in Drama, and has studied medieval history (focusing on the C
More about D.P. Prior

Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf (5 books)
  • The Axe of the Dwarf Lords (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf, #2)
  • The Scout and the Serpent (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf, #3)
  • The Ebon Staff (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf, #4)
  • Bane of the Liche Lord (Chronicles of the Nameless Dwarf, #5)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)