Start by marking “The Weapon of Prayer - Enhanced Version” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Weapon of Prayer -...

E.M. Bounds

The Weapon of Prayer - Enhanced Version

Why pray? In his book, The Weapon of Prayer, Edward Bounds states: “The life of the individual believer, his personal salvation, and personal Christian graces have their being, bloom, and fruitage in prayer.” As a chaplain in the Confederate States Army during the Civil War, Bounds initiated weekly prayer sessions to strengthen the spiritual state of his local area. His wi ...more
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Weapon of Prayer - Enhanced Version, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weapon of Prayer - Enhanced Version

Start your review of The Weapon of Prayer - Enhanced Version
Ryan Hawkins
Not my favorite Bounds book on prayer, but excellent nonetheless. Many things could be said, but I want to say only a few things.

To begin, chapter 7, entitled "Preachers and Prayer", was one of the best chapters on prayer I have ever read. It was convicting and really stirred me to pray. I triple starred it in my book, and if I don't reread this whole book often, I look to returning to this chapter. The following chapter was also fantastic, chapter 8, "Prayerlessness in the Pulpit",
Kathryn Guzek Holpp
It is a great book but not easy to read for me, that is This is a vey old book./
Bridgette
a bit dry but really good meat within the front and back covers. Leaves the reader with a strong since of obligation and desire to pray as never before.
Phil Sessa
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great group study!
Bryana Joy
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose I should have closed this one at the end and started it right back over again at the beginning. Was it redundant? Yes. But I am sure that is the thing I need more than anything, – constant, urgent warnings to pray. Otherwise I don’t. How about you? I really appreciated this book. It was by no means very beautiful in its wording, or especially literary, but full of very compelling truth. Says Bounds,

"All this makes praying a real business, not child’s play, not a secondary affair,/>"All
Kathryn
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This should definitely be required reading for ministerial staff. I was hoping for more practical application for lay persons.
Steve Campbell
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prayer
As is the case with all of Bounds' books on prayer, there is some convicting and challenging material here. It also appears from the criticism that he levels against preachers and churches in his day that things haven't changed much. As I have noted in some of my reviews of Bounds' other books, there is a lot of repetition of material that is found in his other works.
Kristen Moore
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book twice already. It is a bit redundant and there are some statements about which I wonder the theological accuracy-BUT it certainly accomplishes the task of motivating the reader to pray! In that regard, this book is a must-read in my opinion; I have added it to my short list of books to revisit annually.
Nicholas Maulucci
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another must-read for all those who are interested in more than just pulling a paycheck in the name of God's service. hard-hitting, holy spirit-convicting. not a long book and in this one he has a couple of chapters dealing with other prayer warriors and their habits. priceless. read it.
Arun Thamizhvanan
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-books
Excellent book on the importance of prayer.!
Marren
Mar 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good premises coloured by repetition and in some cases high speculation.
Lisa Wenzel
Very wordy and repetitive. It is, I think, a set of sermon transcripts.
Kim
Nov 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat redundant. Goes over the necessity of praying for those in minstry, especially pastors. Not what I was looking for as far as a book on Intercessory Prayer.
Erica
3 stars. A good book about prayer and the importance of it. Reading this made we want to pray even more. To have a God that loves us, a God that nothing is impossible for and a God that we can talk to whenever we want in prayer... this is one of the greatest privileges there are in life.

It's clear it was written a long time ago, though. The language felt old a lot of the time, but the content is still really good. So it's worth your time.
Iain Hamill
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-study
Truly excellent.

Rich devotional material, I nibbled through most of this a paragraph or two per day.

Hope to return to it soon, or at least the rest in the “series.”

Very helpful, reminded me generally of the importance and necessity of prayer, but also specific elements like the emphasis Christ placed on teaching his disciples to pray, not preach.
Joseph
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read from Bounds. I am still wary of some of his doctrine but that goes with his denominational leanings. If you are Methodist you should have no difficulty in this book. If you are Baptist you will likely be tripped by many of the humanistic teachings. Go for the meat about prayer and leave his theological errors to Wesley and the like.
Chris Helmkay
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this book has been out for years and years the timeless truths about prayer will never grow old. It is very inspirational and should motivate the 21st centuries – Christian to pray.
Allen

• The Practice of the Presence of God
  • Made For His Pleasure: Ten Benchmarks of a Vital Faith
  • When God Met a Girl: Life Changing Encounters with Women of the Bible
  • Why Revival Tarries
  • Adam's Reign (The Hidden Kingdom Book 1)
  • Almost Everything: Notes on Hope
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • The Prequel (Chaos In The Blink Of An Eye, #1)
  • 12 Ways Your Phone Is Changing You
  • The Cranky Blue Crab: A Tale in Verse
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • The Pursuit of God: The Human Thirst for the Divine
  • The Aftermath (Chaos In The Blink Of An Eye, #2)
  • The Mingling of Souls: God's Design for Love, Marriage, Sex, and Redemption
  • Follow Me: A Call to Die. A Call to Live.
  • Surviving The End (The End #2)
Edward McKendree Bounds was a Methodist minister, revivalist, author and lawyer.

Unsuccessful in the California gold rush of 1849, E.M. Bounds returned home to Missouri and became the state’s youngest practicing attorney at age 19. In his early twenties he was deeply impacted by the Third Great Awakening, and at age 24 he was ordained for ministry. During his lifetime he pastored church
“Men and women are needed whose prayers will give to the world the utmost power of God; who will make His promises to blossom with rich and full results. God is waiting to hear us and challenges us to bring Him to do this thing by our praying. He is asking us, to-day, as He did His ancient Israel, to prove Him now herewith." Behind God's Word is God Himself, and we read: "Thus saith the Lord, the Holy One of Israel, his Maker: Ask of me of things to come and concerning my sons, and concerning the work of my hands, command ye me." As though God places Himself in the hands and at the disposal of His people who pray - as indeed He does. The dominant element of all praying is faith, that is conspicuous, cardinal and emphatic. Without such faith it is impossible to please God, and equally impossible to pray.” 28 likes
“Nothing is well done without prayer for the simple reason that it leaves God out of the account.” 14 likes