Start by marking “Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure” as Want to Read:
Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure

Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure

What's a horseman of the Apocalypse to do when the Earth has been picked bare, scoured clean, and burned black? Perhaps a spot of...gardening?
Published April 21st 2010 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure

Start your review of Four Horsemen, at Their Leisure
karen
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
well, it had to happen sooner or later. this was the first of the tor shorts that just didn't do it for me. it was fine, but it just never got its hooks into me.

i liked the premise - the apocalypse has occurred, and all that remains are the four horsemen, puttering around the ruined wasteland of what is left, like strangers who have overstayed their welcome at the worst party ever. they part and come together periodically, but it's always awkward:

The last time we were together we had a grand
Badseedgirl
Can be read for free at tor.com

I like when the personification becomes a fleshed out, human-like character.
Cyn Armistead
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect of this story, as I'd downloaded it from Tor and stuck it on my e-reader for some time when I was stuck with nothing else to read. It was perfect filler reading, and very thought-provoking.

I suppose everyone knows the Four Horsemen of the Apolocalypse, yes? Death, War, Famine, and Pestilence? Well, after they've done their jobs, what do you expect is left for them? That's the basic setup of the story, but it gets much better than that.

I am feeling somewhat
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
This one was just so totally meh for me. The best part about it is the cover art:

So the four horsemen of the apocalypse have just destroyed the earth and every living creature in it. They are just bopping around, chopping each other's heads off and playing soccer with them, until one of them finds something. An enigma tucked away in a dark corner of this now barren wasteland we used to call Earth.

A tree sapling.

But how could this be since everything, every single living thing, was killed from
Jonathan Pongratz
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
Original Review at Jaunts & Haunts

3/5

I gave this short story three post-apocalyptic stars!

Based on the blurb, I picked this one up right away. Post apocalyptic theme? Four horsemen? And a little quirky humor? Sign me up!

The Four Horsemen have destroyed everything as they were ordered to by the Consensus, but now they roam the empty shell of the world unfulfilled. That is, until they discover life growing on Earth once more.

This short story started off great. I loved the four horsemen and how
Simon Ellberger
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very, very short story, but a clever one about an acute problem: a cute pine seedling livens things up, suddenly appearing sometime after the final apocalypse when all life on Earth has supposedly been extirpated by The Four Horsemen, which no longer appears to be the case. This threatens the return of biology, and The Four Horsemen make their living by ensuring that there are none living (not even the non-living) on our planet (aside from them, which is a side of the divine never ...more
Ines
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. Could be worse.

I still prefer the Discworld/Good Omens Horsemen.
Kate
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Kimikimi
Dec 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tor-com
Another Tor.com short story

This one is perfect! I love the way this story deals with how the earth can have evil when it was created by a just and loving God theory. It also deals with why the "Adversary" is even necessary. Not quite as good a death figure as Terry Pratchett, but this is a short story
Stas
This suits my sense of humour.
Darn, but I love this one. This is the good stuff.
Though perhaps not for everyone.

This is not religious people. At least nobody too deep in Christianity IMO.

EDIT 24/06/2016
EDIT 11/12/2018
Oli N
Nov 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is what I want when I read fantasy!!!
Ashley
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, read-2013
Short little story, which I rather enjoyed. More or less, it matched my sense of humor. The end got far deeper than I had expected it to, though.
Janice
Aug 09, 2014
Michael Lloyd-Billington
rated it did not like it
Feb 21, 2016

• Eyes I Dare Not Meet in Dreams
  • If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again
  • The Need for Air
  • Old Media
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • The Angelus Guns
  • Jane Doe (Jane Doe, #1)
  • The River of Time
  • The Serpent (Immortal Dealers, #1)
  • The Unlikely Escape of Uriah Heep
  • The Warrior (The Immortal Dealers, #3)
  • All My Colors
  • The Art of Space Travel
  • Nine Last Days on Planet Earth
  • Codgerspace
  • Dress Your Marines in White (Monument 14, #0.5)
  • Loss of Signal
  • Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3)
I write mostly fantasy, both short stories and novels. My third short story collection, On the Banks of the River of Heaven was published in November, 2010. My second novella with PS Publishing, The Heavenly Fox, was released in early 2011. I've been a finalist for both the World Fantasy Award and the Mythopoeic Award for Adult Literature.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the