Start by marking “Split” as Want to Read:
Split

Split

(Nick & Derek #1)

Quiet and imaginative, Derek O'Reilly spends a lot of time watching a movie in his head. His fiancé Nathan, aka "Mr. Alpha", wonders why Derek hasn't taken any interest in their wedding planning. Aunt Fran—his spiritual guru—would like to know when her guilt-tripping nephew became some kind of kept boy. One evening, she drops Derek's childhood journal on his lap, forcing ...more
Published April 19th 2011 by Bold Strokes Books (first published April 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Split, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Split

Start your review of Split
Baba
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coming-of-age, m-m
4 refreshing stars.****Review completed November 3, 2013

Nick's eyes are stunning. Icy blue like the Northern sky.
 photo ea6d82cd-b127-4fcf-a8c7-4159739d9202_zpscdc11dee.jpg

The color purple is meaningful.
 photo 1ed166c2-2b26-4dc8-af78-30ef8941ea2a_zpsfca8e255.jpg

The main protagonists Derek and Nick differ greatly in their characterizations and that's exactly what I found so interesting about them. Derek is a bit shy and pretty quiet. There's a dreamlike quality about his mind and he's often absent-minded and lives in his own little purple world. And then there is Nick. Quick-tempered, angry and a tad dangerous.
Tanu Gill
Ok, guys. If you are thinking of reading this book, prepare to get your heart crushed so many times, it turns into mud. There was so much pain in it. Derek feels so much, but he never says anything aloud. Having been dealt a crappy hand in life, he finds his family where he can, amongst the Lunds, and it’s in that family he finds the love of his life. While it was sweet to read his struggle in the beginning, nearing the end, I got frustrated with the lack of any emotional growth!

The story goes
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I always know that I'm loving a book when I start crying for no reason.

Sometimes I'm just so overwhelmed when a book is exceeding my expectations that I get teary-eyed. It is like all of my emotion bubbles out through my eyes (<--- that sounds creepy, right??). I knew when this book started making me cry that it was a winner.

"Split" is unusual. It alternates between past and present, so it is both a coming of age tale and a story about a detached adult, still struggling to find himself. I
Virginia Cavanillas
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgtb, my-rambles
This book! This unexpected book! I don’t know how to express my surprise when I opened this little treasure and started reading. I thought I was going like it. The blurb (and two friends I adore) told me so. It fitted. But the synopsis didn’t warn me (neither those friends) about the hook its pages will have on me. The feels, the fall for these characters, the love for the story itself. A hit. A very welcome one. A succession of little punches directly to the place they needed to land.

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA*
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

I read this book weeks ago and I only remember that I loved it, how am I supposed to review this now?

Oh yeah, I know how, go read Baba's review ;)

SheReadsALot
First off...a big THANK YOU to Cassandra from choosing this book for me to read. This book was nowhere near on my radar. Thank you for putting it there because what a story.

All these emotions I have just stirring from this book. Wow.

I figured I split it down the middle into two parts.

Dear Bump,

I'm thankful for the story you're from. It was such a touching, moving tale, with rich characters that I could almost taste, see, feel and hear them...sometimes even with you.

Though the story is Derek
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Im saved! After reading a string of not so great books, I was almost ready to give up! It even crossed my mind to try M/F. Can you imagine? The horror! Sorry M/F fans. :) Thank god I decided to read this.

This was so good. I will be reading this again! I want more of the MC's!

My love is red and blue. What is yours? :)
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
4.5 CANDYLAND THUNDERDOME Hearts (Rounded Up)

I've got to get this off my chest.

I LOVE THE LUNDS!!!!!!!!!

I love Boone and that his insistence on being called Maverick. Because Top Gun.
I love Lene. Because of her "baby" with Derek.
I love Johan and how paternal and loving he is.
I love Nico and his wildness and hot temper, but especially because of that dance and the eyeliner.
I even love stern Helga, though I do wonder why she's so hard on Nico and if his wildness drove her to ride him like
Ky
I have liked everything I have read by this author so far, but Split just might take the cake!

I don't want to say too much about the story, instead I want to focus on the amazing writing and the feelings in this book.

Split is the lifestory of Derek O'Reilly and it is told entirely by him. Some parts of the story happened in the past and some are set in the present day but there is almost equal page time dedicated to each one. Throughout the book those two time periods weave around each other in
♥Laddie♥ (Lee Lee)
Oh God, my heart was broken

Derek O'Reilly has been in a relationship for the past two years with a man who says all of the right things, does all of the right things and charms almost everyone he meets. Derek's lover, Nathan who Derek's aunt calls Mr. Alpha, looks really good on paper but in actuality Nathan is plastic. He's all shine on the surface but there's nothing about him that goes any deeper. Derek's living with Nathan but he's not really living until one day Derek's aunt comes for a
Leanne
Read this all the way through in one sitting, only switching off the light close to 2AM this morning. Needless to say, I loved it!
Let me explain this little weakness I have...I love geeky, vulnerable heroes. Ones with asthma pumps and a terrible stutter and an equally debilitating crush on the bad boy next door float my boat very nicely thank you. The story is told through Derrick's point of view, flashing back via diary-style letters to his tragic and lonely teenage self.
Derrick's inability
Kade Boehme
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Dear Bump,

I wanted to tell you how much your brother moved me. But that seems dumb. You know that moment after all the storms have blown over and everything is so still, and even the wreckage looks beautiful in the way the sun colors everything -- that's your Brother's story.

Derek, or Red as he is affectionately called, is so beautiful. He has this loud and humorous and fun and loving and broken soul that is so damned ALIVE but he doesn't talk. He doesn't talk cuz he stutters, because he panics,
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I’ve left quite a few blank review pages over the past few months. *hangs head in shame* But I can’t seem to leave a glaring white page for this book. Split by Mel Bossa had been sitting on my kindle for ages. It happens sometimes because I tend to buy books in bunches. What? Once my buy-button finger starts clicking, there’s just no stopping! :D So this read got lost in the shuffle for a while, but boy-o-boy am I glad I finally clicked it open. Split brings to life two or three of the most
Anyta Sunday
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This was a gift from my Secret Santa, and WOW. Can I just say that he/she got my tastes PERFECTLY. This story was so beautiful and poignant and moving and HELL YES! Win, win, win.

GAH! I want to read more by this author. That being said, I don't want to destroy the Happy Ending of this one, so I'm going to skip the sequel to this one and check out another story.

If I had any criticism (minor), it would be I wanted a few more scenes with Red and Blue once they reconnected after 17 years. That,
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
SO, to steal the words from this author, cause yes that is what I am doing, this sums up how I felt through 288 pages

“I’m emotionally castrated butting my head against a barbed-wire fence”

My quest for angst literally kicked me in the face with this book.

How utterly depressing….. AND I LOVED IT!!!

EVERY.SINGLE.SOLITARY.SECOND.OF.IT

I could NOT put this book down. I was a train wreck, a crack addict, I needed my next fix, and I got it every time I swooshed the page to the next one. That euphoria I
Jenn
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, kindle
I don't even know what to say about this book. It was written well, and dealt with a lot of tough situations realistically. That being said I found it extremely depressing right up till the very end. I also am not sure I really feel that the two MC's that end up together were really right for each other. That being said, this book was written beautifully.

I feel in love with Derek though. Him as a little boy and as an adult. My heart broke with him every step of the way. His panic attacks and
Lauraadriana
The Futility of Fighting Fate

Derek O'Rielly's aunt has cancer, and in her process of sorting out their family memories she comes across Derek's childhood journal.

Derek has not thought of that journal or what he wrote in it for years. He is settled in his life now. He's with a man that is beautiful, successful, that wants him (although he's not sure why), so he should be happy. The thing is the moment Derek reads the first entry all the memories of his childhood come flooding back. One memory is
Ery
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favs
I crawled through this story-not because it was uninteresting, but because I wanted to savor every word. I was afraid if I read too fast, I would miss something. Still, I'm fairly certain I didn't discover everything I could have within this text - this is one of those stories I'll read over and over, uncovering new hidden truths and secrets buried in a seemingly simple thought.

"Derek O'Reilly spends a lot of time watching the movie in his mind." The blurb is spot-in. Told in first/person
Lolita
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite

OMG! i was just surfing and i found this guy and i instantly thought this is the dangerous Nicolai Lund.

“There are things you don’t know
about my son. He’s trouble. It’s best if
you stay away from him.”

“Dunno. They go by the river a lot. So,
anyways, why do you keep asking me
about my brother all the time?”

He’d be fuckin’ crazy not to want you there.
Every day. Every night.” Against my arm,
his heart thumped. “He’d be stupid not to
want to wake up to your wicked green
eyes. Those eyes that make him
Meep
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be my favourite read for sometime, it's one I was very reluctant to put down and that on finishing I'm eager to re-read for any missed nuance. That said the tone/style of the book is probably not going to be to everyone's taste.

The book alternates between present day Derek and the journal of his eleven year old self, now this premise is one I'd normally avoid not being a fan of flashbacks, but it was very well executed. I never once got the urge to skip sections because between the
Mercedes
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-romance
I really loved this book. It had two of the things that make me really enjoy a book: a great story and a story nicely told. This is the story of Derek O'Reilly as it is told when he is 28 years old and in flashbacks of his life as an 11 year old.

At the age of 11 Derek's family life quickly falls apart after his mom suffers a loss. Both of his parents check out of their parenting duties and it is no wonder Derek also learns to disengage in his adult life. He becomes what seems like a spineless
Silvana
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Silvana by: Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
You know what is bad about these kind of books?!! Is that they are so good; You enjoy them so much, you find yourself starting a book after another and they don't measure up.

I loved this, I highlighted so much of Red's thoughts, I covered most of the book.

NICK, Aunt Frannie, Boone, Kenya, God I loved them all.

Review To Come!

Karl
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most special books I've read in this genre this year. Beautifully told, with poignant letters and carefully placed flashbacks, and raw emotion that grabbed me from the pages. The story wrung me out at times but the love story at the heart of it was gorgeous. I loved it and will have to find out what else Mel Bossa is writing ASAP!
Justin
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Justin by: SheReadsALot

This book is like a storm. You have to ride it out. You have to wait for it to run its course and hope you're mostly intact when it's over. It gave me whiplash constantly, but wow what a ride.

Thank you for recommending, SRAL! I'm mad at myself for not reading it sooner.

Recommended!

*Not going anywhere near the other two books in this series, just going to pretend this is where it ends for Derek & Nick.
Susan
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
Let me start off with the positive things about this book. The writing was wonderful, really. Mel Bossa sure knows how to use beautiful words. The way this story was told, with parts of Derek’s old diary and the constant switching between the part and the present, really well done.
Why only 2 stars then? Because this book depressed the hell out of me. These people were all the glass is half empty kind of people. The people who think life is something to get through instead of enjoying every
LauraSt
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
5 PURPLE STARS!

I have to say, i loved this book, its sweet, heart breaking, complicated, confusing, annoying and anything else you want to pin on it... But any book that makes me read continuously till i finish, deserves 5 stars.

Its placed in the present and also in the past, in the form of journal/diary entries, which makes it really entertaining and engaging.

Derek O'Reilly is a quiet, shy and imaginative man, he can speak about 10 words a day with out no problem. His fiancee Alpha man Nathan
Mistral
Absolutely Stunning!

Warning: When you start reading this book, make sure you give yourself plenty of time, because you will not want to put it down.

This is a very touching story that captured me from the beginning. Little Derek broke my heart! He's such a beautiful character, so shy, kind, funny and sensitive. And I felt in love with the Lunds, all of them: Johan, Helga and their three children: Lene, Boone and Nick. Lene, the youngest, is a little bit crazy, reads a lot and has a crush on
Bev
5 stars and 5 from me.

This was such a lovely story, and was told from Derek O'Reilly's (yes, Derek really) POV, mainly in flashback and 'letter' form addressed to his stillborn brother 'Bump', whose death had caused his mother to retreat into a depressive shell and his father to work away from home as often as he could during Derek's childhood. Thank God for his Auntie Fran and the Lund children (Nicolai, Boone and Lene) next door, otherwise he would have had really serious problems himself
Cindi
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, 2013, on-blog

Excellent book. Very emotional, at times heartbreaking, but everything comes together nicely in the end. Highly recommended.

Full review can be found at On Top Down Under Book Reviews.
Kaje Harper
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, m-m
This book shifts back and forth between past and present. Derek is a quiet, contained and somewhat detached guy of twenty-eight. He's in a long-term relationship that he seems to simply have not had the energy to resist. His boyfriend, Nathan, doesn't awake much emotion from him, and he's going through the motions, even to the point of disinterestedly saying "All right" to getting engaged.

In a diary he finds, from when he was eleven, he's reminded of his childhood, the year that his mother lost
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Split by Mel Bossa 2 15 Jul 28, 2013 03:32PM

• If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • Heartsong (Green Creek, #3)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers #2)
  • Orientation (Borealis Investigations, #1)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Happy for You (Love & Family #3)
  • The Wolf at the Door (Big Bad Wolf, #1)
  • Best Man (Close Proximity #1)
  • A Light in the Darkness (In Darkness, #2)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Scorpio Hates Virgo (Signs of Love, #2)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Wicked Lies Boys Tell
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Loose Cannon (The Woodbury Boys, #1)
  • Pisces Hooks Taurus (Signs of Love, #4)
  • Triangulation (Borealis Investigations, #2)

Nick & Derek (4 books)
  • Blue Dreams (Nick & Derek, #2)
  • Red Awakening (Nick & Derek, #3)
  • A Purple Winter (Nick & Derek #4)
“O'Reilly, I've been running from the worst of myself all my life, and now it looks like the best of me just caught up.” 7 likes
“O'Reilly, happiness does eventually come, it just needs a lot of foreplay, that's all."

And what better lover could happiness find?”
5 likes