Start by marking “The Nostalgist” as Want to Read:
The Nostalgist

The Nostalgist

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
With EyesTM and EarsTM, everything can look and sound just fine, just like it used to be; it's a shock when they break down, though.
Published February 1st 2011 by Tor Books (first published July 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Nostalgist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nostalgist

karen
“Hey there, toaster oven,” said the officer quietly. “Think you’re human?”

These words confused the boy, who said nothing.

look, another free tor short i’m gonna write a quick-and-dirty review for so’s i can get my review-pending stack down to a mere 75! 75 reviews is perfectly reasonable and manageable, right?

grooooaaannn.

this is another one that falls into the “fine” category for me, but other readers with hearts that feel will probably enjoy it more. it’s a bleak sci-fi infused spin on pinocchi
Claudia
Wasn’t planning to read this one soon, but I came across the short film based on it and curiosity won. Therefore, I read the story first, which was a really good dystopian one but very depressing and heartbreaking. The mini-movie completes the novel in the visual part and captures quite well the drama of the two characters (even if one is not exactly the same as in the story) but not quite all the nuances. So together, they make a great pair and I really enjoyed the experience.

The story can be r
Badseedgirl
A Tor.com short.

Daniel H. Wilson wrote a horrific tale about the nature of grief and the lengths people will go to recover from it.
Jennifer B.
Interesting, a futuristic take on Pinocchio.
Lil
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart-breakingly sweetly sad futuristic take on Pinocchio. Loved it. Wished the ending was slightly less ambiguous though.
Abram Dorrough
A thought-provoking sci-fi story about reality and acceptance. I enjoyed it. Overall well-written, but some paragraphs could have used some revision.
Kreiden
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nostalgist is a short story about a child who thinks that he was a human, because his creator (whom he always called ‘Grand Pa’) created an alternate dimension for him. It’s about re-creating someone who you knew back then from the past into a robot.

There is also a short film about this but instead being his Grandfather, they created it as the child’s father. I must say that it is a pretty dark but family -love kind a sci-fi short story.

Mowgli Olenason
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heart-wrenching short story. I have truly enjoyed the human nature and aspects that Wilson gives his robotic literary creations. Straddling that line of human and machine with delicacy and a fine hand attuned to strumming the notes of human emotion. Well played indeed!
Frances Coronel
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully bittersweet.
Alex Sarll
A Pinocchio riff, incorporating elements recalling Bob Shaw and Hannu Rajaniemi, which for me never really transcended those influences.
Kimikimi
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tor-com
Oh so Sad! All these stories about robots and the relationships we build with them. Very much a Pinocchio story.
Sir Nicho
Good, not great. If you enjoy his work you'll probably like it. Robopocalypse is still his best.
Eric Mikols
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A short story (it's only six pages) but it's great. The whole thing is sad but I never lost interest.
JM
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. It was a surprise. It was sad and poignant. I will be sure to read "Robopocalypse" after having this taste of his work.
Jeremy A
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

A very heartfelt story, full of humanity. It has a very sad element to it, which adds to the humanity of the story.
Keyreads
Aug 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Just rip my heart out in 13 pages!!

Such a good story! I will be checking out more from this author.
Jared
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good short story that ends to soon.
Stephanie
  • Will O' the Wisp
  • Laços Eternos
  • The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere
  • A Time to Speak
A Cherokee citizen, Daniel H. Wilson grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He earned a Ph.D. in Robotics from Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He lives in Portland, Oregon.
More about Daniel H. Wilson...