Start by marking “Spike: Asylum ” as Want to Read:
Spike: Asylum

Spike: Asylum

(Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer))

When the Monahan Family asks Spike to find their daughter Ruby, he accepts. The problem? Ruby's a half-demon and has been checked into the Mosaic Wellness Center, a rehab facility for vampires, demons, and other creatures of the night. The solution - Spike checks himself in as a patient. But there's another, slightly bigger problem - the hundreds of super-powered, supernat ...more
Published May 29th 2007 by IDW Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Spike, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spike

Start your review of Spike: Asylum
Alice Rachel
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a good story. : )
Arie ☂
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love a good asylum story. It's no coincidence that these were the first two BtVS/AtS comics I ever bought:

I'm also very fond of Brian Lynch's Spike. Asylum and the follow-up Shadow Puppets work beautifully together. Shadow Puppets handles the funny and absurd (because PUPPETS), while Asylum is a bit more serious and tackles how Spike deals with guilt post-soul and his motivations. I'm really looking for
Samantha
this was referenced in spike shadow puppets, which I just read. I am going back through and filling in the holes in my collection now that I have and have finished reading all the volumes that are continuations of the tv series.

so I liked the front end of this. he goes into the asylum (basically, a metaphor for gay conversion therapy) being tricked. that was neatly done. but then the story coming out of the asylum was sketchier, harder to piece together, less satisfying. this was the debut of b
kory.
I love Spike, but this is kind of boring, honestly. Although, I'm here for Spike pointing how he's saved the world more than Angel and fought for his soul, whereas Angel was cursed with his. Atta boy.
Kara Owens
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I was about to give this 4 stars based on its story line (plus the fact that Whedon had no involvement with this novel's production), but in the end it's 5 stars: after seeing this, Whedon decided to work with Lynch to do "Angel: After the Fall" and that says something!
Indah Threez Lestari
Well written. In this story, we learn how Spike feels about his horrible sins in the past. Maybe he doesn't seek redemption like Angel, but he does his atonement every which way he can.

And Spike doesn't vamp out in most of the fights!
Matt
Oct 17, 2007 added it
Again, maybe I'm baised. But my good friend wrote this. And it's good. Really, really good.
Aubrey
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gah! I loved it!

This collection is also not considered canon, but the fact that Whedon blurbed it and ended up working with Lynch on After the Fall is a pretty good sign it was done well.

I am a sucker for an institution story and the storyline for this one held up really well. I loved all of the nods to the Whedonverse. I loved how well Lynch captured Spike's character, his dialogue and the kinds of decisions he would make. The art was also much better than I've seen in some
Sean
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Buffy fans
Brian Lynch has such a good handle on Buffy-verse characters. This reads like a great storyline on the show. Spike sounds like Spike and the reason that's impressive is because so many writers fail when trying to convert TV to comics. The idea of Spike getting himself into trouble because of his vanity is totally fitting and then how those twists and turns develop is super fun. Frank Urru's art is spot on and delivers horrors and emotions well. Overall, a Spike story done very well.
pianogal
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Spike. If I could only pick one Whedonverse character, it would be Spike (Captain Mal would be a REALLY close second). This was a good read. Also, don't skip the explanations for all the inside jokes at the end. I'm a little rusty and I only got about half without the clues, but I did NOT miss Ivo Shandor. Hello, Ghostbusters is the best movie ever!
Thenia
Spike goes undercover in an insane asylum and ends up trapped there.

A fun adventure that introduces a number of fun new characters and shoes us what Spike's been up to.
YoSafBridg
May 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Yesterday/today (it's always so confusing in the wee hours what to call the day~because i haven't been to bed yet so it doesn't really seem like yesterday~but anyway...) was kind of a bitch~i was feeling like shit (have yet another cold and so does Dixie~if cats do indeed get colds i'm finding/getting conflicting information on that front~but the fact that my twelve year old cat is sneezing and congested/having trouble breathing disturbs me terribly.)

My library system started its sum
Rob
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every fan who watched Buffy and Angel waiting for a grand, ultimate Spikesploitation that never really came to be, owes it to themselves to read 'Spike: Asylum'. Don't let the generic-sounding premise dissuade you - the story inside is a painstaking deconstruction of William the Bloody that goes right down into the ugly sprouting roots of his warts-and-all. Spike may be cool, he may be aware of it and we may all love him for it, but Bryan Lynch wisely avoids any fanboy fantasy - frequently pokin ...more
Edward Petersen
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This was a great little story. True it has little consequence on the universe and I am guessing is no longer canon, but it was enjoyable just in itself. I was not a big fan of the artwork, but the numerous pop-culture and Buffyverse references made up for it. From Tango & Cash, to Tommy Wiseau, to the Firefly theme. Some were very clear homage, but some seemed so slight I thought I was kidding myself (like T&C). But Ivo Shandor? I knew that right away. Brought up YouTube to watch the jai ...more
Gory B Movie
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
As the title suggests, Spike commits himself to an asylum for supernaturally unstable beings to find a young girl whom he believes is being mistreated. Once inside, the tables turn and Spike finds that there is no way out.

This is the series that made Joss Whedon take notice of writer Brian Lynch. Whedon was so impressed by the writing that he had Lynch write Spike:After the Fall and insisted that the telepathic fish, Betta George return. I added Asylum to my reading marathon for this
J-Lynn Van Pelt
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Buffy fans, fans of monster comics
This is a fantastic example of how powerful a graphic novel can be when written well. The pictures in this issue are stunning and dramatic, but it is the witty writing and great plot development that make this a real winner. Brian Lynch really understands the enigmatical character of Spike and fans of the Buffy series will cheer for the anti-hero in this intricate story. I don't want to give anything away because I felt like I was one of the characters while reading the story. I highly recommend ...more
Alexa
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Spike is probably my favorite character in the Buffy-verse so I was very excited to read this series. I definitely think that the first few issues were stronger than the last few, but overall I really liked it. I think the story was great and the dialogue felt true to the characters, but I have read so many Buffy the Vampire Slayer graphic novels that it is hard to blow me away at this point. The Spike IDW comics are not as good as the Dark Horse ones, but this series is worth a read.
Trin
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Whee! Possibly the best BtVS/AtS comic I have read: Lynch nails the characterization in this and also dishes up an engaging plot filled with interesting OCs, a lovely Lorne appearance, and a bunch of hilarious in-jokes. If there were a Spike spinoff (if only) this would make a fantastic episode—it’s certainly much better than what I’ve read of the Angel: Season 6 comic. (Sorry, Joss.) I hope I can get my hands on Lynch’s other effort, which I believe involves Spike doing Vegas. *g*
M
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Writer Brian Lynch expands the Whedonverse with an exploration of Spike's time in LA. Suckered into attempting to rescue an innocent girl from a monstrous treatment facilty, Spike finds new enemies and allies in a rousing romp of a story. Lynch proves his chracters and writing have staying power, as this book is what gets him the nod from Whedon himself for Angel: After the Fall.
Angela
May 16, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, idw
Spike goes to an asylum to save a young girl, but is instead captured and tortured in there. Spike is in character but there's nothing special about the storyline to make it memorable. A disappointment.
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Where, at last, I figured out where the damn giant telepathic beta fish came from. Worth reading just for that. Add all the Firefly and REALLY BIG Douglas Adams allusions, and it is geektasticly awesome.
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Falls somewhere between Season 7 and 8, but before Spike: Shadow Puppets. Spike finds himself in Mosiac - to rescue someone, of course - where they "teach" the supernatural beasties to be good citizens.

And since its Spike, trouble follows him. And nothing is as it seems.
Matt
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
It took me two tries to get this book from Interlibrary Loan and it was worth it. More nerdy writer's commentary track. Perfect mix of humor and action. Plot twists! I finally got all the references from Spike: Shadow Puppets!
I learned a little about Zoroastrianism!
Karen-Leigh
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Reading anything has almost more to do with what is going on inside the reader than what is on the page. In this case, my own collywobbles regarding institutions had a great effect on my enjoyment of this story.
Victoria
Apr 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I read Shadow Puppets before this one, so I knew I would enjoy Lynch's story. So fun to revisit the Buffyverse.
Miranda
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved the Firefly references in this one. Great story too.
Michael
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A cute, quick read starring William the Bloody. Nice.
Andrea
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
A must-read for Spike fans, but suffers from being a little bit confusing and having a lot of characters for a fairly short book.
Jenna
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A very in-character, fun read. Fans of Spike will love this one. As a Spike stan I loved the story and art, as a Whedon fan I appreciated all the quirky references.
Michael
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Nifty.

• Spike: The Devil You Know
  • Fray
  • Illyria: Haunted
  • Spike: A Dark Place
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Spread of Their Evil (Season 11, Volume 1)
  • Angel: Dark Reflections (Season 11, Volume 3)
  • Angel: Time and Tide (Season 11, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: One Girl in All the World (Season 11, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Last Gleaming (Season 8, Volume 8)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Reckoning (Season 12, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Retreat (Season 8, Volume 6)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Twilight (Season 8, Volume 7)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: No Future for You (Season 8, Volume 2)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Vol. 1: High School Is Hell
  • Angel: Out of the Past (Season 11, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, Volume 1)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Predators and Prey (Season 8, Volume 5)
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Time of Your Life (Season 8, Volume 4)
Brian Michael Lynch is an American film and comic book writer.

Spike Comics (Buffy Vampire Slayer) (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Spike
  • Spike: Shadow Puppets
  • Spike vs. Dracula
  • Spike: Old Times (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
  • Spike, Volume 1: Alone Together Now