Start by marking “Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)” as Want to Read:
Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)

Mass Effect: Deception

(Mass Effect #4)

An all-new adventure inspired by the award-winning videogame from BioWare!

The universe is under siege. Every fifty thousand years, a race of sentient machines invades our galaxy to harvest all organic life-forms. They are the Reapers.

Two people who know the truth are desperately searching for a way to stop the cycle: Navy admiral David Anderson and his partner, Kahlee
Published January 31st 2012 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2012)

Start your review of Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4)
Shannon
There are so many errors in this book that a fan-created Google document was started to list them.

Contains glaringly obvious errors concerning the lore, timeline, and characters including "a character 'growing up' from being autistic, turning Mass Effect's only gay male character straight, and being literally impossible to reconcile with the timeline made by the games, comics, and other books."

Sad that this was even published.

And you know you're in trouble when Penny Arcade cares:

BioWare's
Dearnshaw
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Leading up to the release of this book, I re-read all three of Drew Karpyshyn's novels. I've always enjoyed them in the past, and so I wanted to see the story continue. I was mildly concerned when I saw that Karpyshyn had moved on, but William C. Dietz had a decent track record, so I figured this book would probably turn out okay.

Boy, was I mistaken. As soon as I opened the book, I could tell something was wrong. I like quality writing, but I'm usually able to enjoy pretty much anything.
Ginta
Feb 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Jason
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am a huge Mass Effect fan, and I am also a fan of William Dietz's "Legion of the Damned" series. "Deception" got a lot of bad reviews after it was released; fans were angry at inaccuracies in the Mass Effect lore and universe, inconsistencies involving the earlier books written by Drew Karpyshyn, and even plain, bad writing. I have confidence in Mr. Dietz, and I'm willing to excuse some inaccuracies in Mass Effect lore, so after finishing "Mass Effect: Retribution", I turned my attention to ...more
Sesana
Oct 27, 2011 marked it as dnf-or-not-gonna-happen
I am a huge, huge fan of Mass Effect, and I've really enjoyed the tie ins that I've read to this point. The first three novels were all written by Drew Karpyshyn, who wrote for the games. The two that I've read so far were solid stories that fit into the established ME universe. I hate to say that I wouldn't trust this novel, written by William C. Dietz, with a ten foot pole... But I wouldn't touch this book with a ten foot pole if you paid me.

Obviously, Dietz took this assignment without
Susan Lulgjuraj
Feb 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Video gamers can live in their own world, falling in love with characters and making choices that effect the direct outcome . Not all video games are like that, but the Mass Effect series is.

The Mass Effect series is it's own world where fans of the games can dive into this sci-fi universe with comics and books as well, helping paint a picture of a battle that is about to commence in the third video game.

As one of the people who fell in love with Mass Effect, I've read the books, bought the
Ana
May 26, 2016 marked it as dropped
Shelves: 2016
OKAY, SO. I've read the first three Mass Effect books by Drew Karpyshyn, and while they may not have been spectacular examples of stellar writing, the storytelling was great, the plots were great, the character development was GREAT, and I just generally loved all three of them! I enjoyed expanding my canon knowledge and getting to know some characters way better than the games allowed, and, well, yeah. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan. Which is why the possibility of this fourth book (suddenly not by ...more
Derschreiber
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
Mass Effect Deception is the worst book out of the series of novels.

The setting is mishandled completely. It feels as if the author has no sense of this universe or the people who live in them. There are dozens of errors with the lore including: characters who are alive who should be dead, timeline errors that make characters older than they should be, changes a major character's sexuality, deems autism something to be grown out of, the very nature of several alien species, and more.

If you are
Sassa Mifrass
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
First ME book not written by D.K. So, Dietz had that disadvantage going in. Sadly, this book really does not compare favourably with the first three.

Criticisms about this book's gaping plot holes and inconsistent characterisation certainly weren't unfounded. Deception breaks the timeline established by the previous novels, and there's a number of other significant errors which others have already noted in their reviews.

Kahlee and Anderson were particularly out of synch with their established
Mark
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
A lot of people hate this book for making a series of errors with the Mass Effect universe and the characters that populate it. While I still noticed these errors, and certainly don't approve, I went into this book knowing those errors were there.
As a result of this foreknowledge, I believe I was able to distil the essence of the story out and read a version of the book that wasn't on the page. That being said, the story was merely okay; not bad, but not good either.
The writing was decent at
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Hard to believe, but I have actually read worse. Which is why this book isn't getting the one star treatment from me that many other reviewers have chosen to give.

But I'm probably being generous. After all, I was aware of the many errors and lore screw-ups that exist in this book, but I mostly chose to ignore them as I was reading. Granted, I give you that there were a few glaring, unforgivable mistakes. But quite honestly? You probably won't even notice most of them unless you're a hardcore
William Ristau
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Keith
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd heard about the fan rage against this book long before sitting down to read it, and as someone who read the first 3 and happily enjoyed this one I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about. Sure there are inconsistencies with the previous lore, and it doesn't feel quite as authentically ME as the others so it would have been nice to have had Karpyshyn continue things.

But I can't say any of that brought me out in hives or caused me to lose any sleep. The way people are reacting it's as if
Samantha
Hmm....I was really excited about reading this book. Ive never played the games, but have a friend who does and is pretty into it so I figured Id give it a shot.

At thebeginning I was having a lot of fun with it. Seeing all the schemes and plots of opposing forces come to fruition and collide. Very fun...until I got to the end. I dont wanna ruin the book for anyone, but seriously? That was it? Let's just erase all the heard work we did and take a bajillion steps backward. And those Reapers
Mj_n
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
A perfect example of fan exploitation.

The glaring inconsistencies in this book are beyond reconcilable. The errors not only go against the details of a rich, expansive universe, but against basic timeline and plot elements established in previous books. Any avid reader, despite their knowledge of Mass Effect, would note the disparity between this and previous novels. From characters aging years in a matter of months, dead characters reprising their role, and fundamental values of characters
Tom Attard
Mar 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
So how much should you expect from a genre book based on a game franchise? More.

The allure for the game for me was always the story elements, so I gave the novels a go and was pleasantly surprised by the earlier books. Deception however, is just abysmally written trash.

Well written characters and plots can give a sense of suspense or excitement because they engage the reader enough to have a feel for struggle or triumph or heartache that will evolve from relationships and events. Lacking any of
T.M. Carper
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: media-tie-in
Kind of a downer of a novel and a different style of writing compared to the other books (different author than first three) - mainly because of the headers constantly stating where the characters are. But it continues Kahlee's misadventures against the Illusive Man and Kai Leng with help from Anderson. Pre-ME3.
Brian
Feb 10, 2012 marked it as so-bad-ill-never-read-it
I will not give a rating to this book--it is evidently a piece of utter, utter shit, and one only has to read the reviews both here and on Amazon to see why. I am in fact writing this review for a purpose much broader and more entertaining than that: I am going to express my intense loathing of William Dietz as a writer, and hope--just hope--that this article gets read by a larger audience.

Mr. Dietz is a hack: a big, pompous, self-aggrandizing hack who has spent far too long passing as a decent
Michael
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th book in the Mass Effect series. The first three books were by Drew Karpyshyn. This one is by William C. Dietz. Mr. Dietz has done an excellent job of continuing the story started in the first three books. This book is based on the game by BioWare. I don't play video games so I don't know how it compares to the game but it is a good read in the Space Opera genre. In this one Kahlee Sanders and Admiral David Anderson are searching for Gillian Grayson who is in turn trying to find ...more
Courtney
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well what can one say about this book? I mean it was interesting enough and if you know nothing about Mass Effect you'd probably actually enjoy this one.
Biggest complaints you'll get from me was the structure in which it was written. It bounced around too much leaving me utterly confused. Secondly the lore is so way off base that it makes you want to scream.
I'm usually easily pleased with books and even though certain aspects bothered me overall the story was alright. It was not the worst book
Katharine
Even going in to this book knowing that it's based off a game and thus nowhere near high literature, this book was a huge disappointment. Factual errors gave away the fact this writer knows nothing about the game series, and grammatical errors (cereal killer, really?) gave away the fact the publishing company was more interested in rushing this to beat the game's release than actually editing it. Don't bother with this book, unless you have several red pens and want some practice in editing.
David
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Definitely not as good as the other three books and its obvious that the new writer had no prior knowledge of the Mass Effect universe or its characters (apart from maybe a bare bones cheat sheet provided by Bioware) as shown by the abundance mistakes and errors. However saying that, the general plot is solid (basic but solid) and with the planned re-release with fixed errors it would match up with the other books in the series.
Travis
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Despite some of the more negative reviews, I really liked this book, "and for good reason." I wasn't bothered that the author took some liberties with the Mass Effect narrative. Sure, there were a few highly unlikely scenarios, but in the end the writing was great and the author kept me engaged all the way through. Some people don't like how the book ended but it seemed realistic to me.
Christopher Dodds
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book it was full of action and well created characters.
Callum Shephard
Sep 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
This novel is bad, quite possibly one of the worst in terms of quality I’ve seen recently.

As bad as Revan was, at least in that you could see some quality in the writing when the author wasn’t openly flipping off at Bioware fans. But this? One member on the Cerberus Daily News forum described it best - “It’s like parody written by someone who doesn't know it's parody. Except worse.”

In all honesty, the plot does make the book sound promising. Gillian Grayson, the MEverse’s River Tam, has been in
Behnam Riahi
Feb 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
The following review has been copied from http://behnamriahi.tumblr.com

Mass Effect: Deception, written by William C. Dietz and published by Del Rey, is a third-person, science-fiction novel and the fourth book in the Mass Effect series, based on the video games of the same name. After humans have fled to space, interacted with aliens, and even built an embassy in the space fortress that all species share known as the Citadel, humanity is on the hunt to mine a rare element that creates faster
Sarah Goodwin
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Heather Leasor
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this because of how much I love Anderson but the plot strayed so much from the synopsis. The story went in 3 different directions and then converged at the end abruptly. I was under the impression the Anderson would be working more with Gillian and that did not happen. The character David felt more like he had to be added to connect the plot rather than being a natural part of the story. I would have like to have seen more about Anderson since that was who the first 3 books ...more
Bjay
Jun 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
I reviewed the first book; I didn't review books two or three, they were, however, both excellent books. Deception, on the other hand, is a failure for simply being lazy. There were so many errors that a list was created, by a fan who much more about the law and world created by Dean. William C. Dietz penned this fourth and thankfully last entry in this beloved franchise. The problem that it had potential to finish on a high note, but the errors are so massive that they cannot be forgiven. When ...more
Erica
Jan 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
This was terrible. The author has no clue what Mass Effect is all about. The characterizations were off, and the storyline was pointless. I thought it would continue where the last left off and give us news of Shepard being grounded while the mystery of what Cerberus is up to continued. This could have filled in gaps about Sanctuary or something, but it focused on two unimportant biotic kids. The author didn't use Udina's name. And he really needed to call Aria, Aria...it was just so rough. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Who thinks Mr. Dietz should be fired? 1 25 Feb 11, 2012 03:45PM

• Mass Effect: Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Initiation (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #2)
  • Mass Effect: Annihilation (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #3)
  • The Stolen Throne (Dragon Age, #1)
  • BioShock: Rapture
  • The Masked Empire (Dragon Age, #4)
  • Mass Effect: Redemption
  • Asunder (Dragon Age, #3)
  • Last Flight (Dragon Age #5)
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (Assassin's Creed, #2)
  • Halo: Contact Harvest
  • The Calling (Dragon Age, #2)
  • Assassin's Creed: Renaissance (Assassin's Creed, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • Rule of Two (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #2)
  • Dynasty of Evil (Star Wars: Darth Bane, #3)
  • Halo: The Fall of Reach
  • The Infernal City (The Elder Scrolls #1)
New York Times bestselling author William C. Dietz has published more than fifty novels, some of which have been translated into German, Russian, and Japanese. He grew up in the Seattle area, served as a medic with the Navy and Marine Corps, graduated from the University of Washington, and has been employed as a surgical technician, college instructor, and television news writer, director and ...more

Mass Effect (4 books)
  • Mass Effect: Revelation (Mass Effect, #1)
  • Mass Effect: Ascension (Mass Effect, #2)
  • Mass Effect: Retribution (Mass Effect, #3)