Start by marking “The Coldest War (The Milkweed Triptych, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Coldest War (The Milkweed Triptych, #2)

The Coldest War

(Milkweed Triptych #2)

Someone is killing Britain's warlocks.

Twenty-two years after the Second World War, a precarious balance of power maintains the peace between Great Britain and the USSR. For decades, the warlocks have been all that stand between the British Empire and the Soviet Union-- a vast domain stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the shores of the English Channel. But now each death
352 pages
Published July 17th 2012 by Tor (first published January 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Coldest War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coldest War

Eh?Eh!
I'm blown away. Although I read the first book a couple years ago, the story was so urgent and surely written that I hadn't forgotten the questions I'd had at the end of it. This has been a long, slow reveal that really hit in the last few chapters of this book. The feeling of dread is present at all times, a hopelessness increased by the scariest villain I've read in a long time, made even scarier by how she's kept in 3rd person and only viewed through other character's eyes. But! The dread is ...more
Tom Merritt
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I don't understand is why the Milkweed Triptych doesn't get more attention. No Wikipedia entry. No wild fan sites. This is an outstanding series and I wait with excitement to read the conclusion and have that usual feeling of dread at its concluding and leaving me with no more. Good thing Tregillis is signed to do a new book after the last Milkweed one. Even if it's not in the same universe, I know I'll snap it up.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Wow, did that seriously just happen?! Those were the words running through my head when I reached the very end of this book. Just when I thought this series couldn't get any crazier with its genre-bending goodness, it decides to throw me for another loop (which in the context of talking about this book is a rather clever pun, now that I think about it. I'm just a little miffed now because I can't explain it without spoiling anything!) The way I see it, as far as those shocking "I-NEED-to-know-wh ...more
David
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: warlocks, seers, ex-Nazi supersoldiers
Warning: This review contains spoilers for book one, Bitter Seeds.

This is one epic, high-stakes alt-history series. After reading Bitter Seeds, I thought book two would pick up where book one left off, at a turning point in World War II. Instead, it skips forward two decades and we're now in 1963 and the height of the Cold War.

But it's a very different Cold War. In Bitter Seeds, Britain unleashed the power of the Eidolons, vastly powerful demonic beings who live in the cracks in time and space,
Bradley
The story is getting more impressive. We're moving away from traditional hero types and we're getting a lot more flip-sides. Sure, we've scooted a couple of decades into the future and everyone has gotten a little flabby, but what can you expect in an upside-down world where England is pretty darn evil, the Soviet Union saved the day from the Nazis, and Cthulhu is knock knock knockin on heaven's door. I've still got that image of Greta with pigtails, and she's just as charming and as odd as ever ...more
... I loved this book. There really isn’t anything more than that to say. It’s a wonderful installment in a brilliant trilogy and I’m anxiously waiting for the third book. Here’s the bottom line: If you haven’t read the Milkweed Triptych yet, you need to. The Coldest War isn’t just a book it’s an experience.

Read my full review here:
Miriam
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Even better than the first book! Smarter, faster, more complex. More cliff-hanging. Can't wait for book three.
Ints
Jun 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Šī ir Asinzāles triloģijas otrā grāmata, kā jau otrajās triloģijas grāmatās pienākas, galvenie varoņi tiek izvietoti uz laukuma lielajam finālam. Rit 1963. gads, karš ar Vāciju ir beidzies, Padomju savienība ir iekarojusi visu Eiropu. Tajā tagad atrodama "draudzīga" sociālistisko valstu saime. Lielbritānija ir kļuvusi par izolētu salu un tās impērija lēnām grūst. No Ivanu iebrukuma viņu glābj tikai to bailes no burvjiem, taču arī šī problēma ir atrisināma. ASV, jau četrdesmit gadus slīgst depres ...more
Paul Genesse
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Review of The Coldest War, (Book two in the Milkweek Tryptich) by Ian Tregillis

(No big spoilers, except for a few minor ones that regard the set-up)

I just finished The Coldest War, book two of three in the Milkweed Tryptich cycle by Ian Tregillis. I devoured it.

I read book one, Bitter Seeds (now out in mass market paperback by the way) in about three days and the same applies to book two. I would have read faster if I’d had the time.

I'm so blown away right now from finishing this fantastic novel
Richard Guion
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Coldest War takes place in 1963, almost twenty years past the aftermath of World War II. Due to the events of the first book, the world map has changed considerably. The Soviets control all of Europe, but the United States isn't a world power, which leaves it to the British to foil the Reds with covert spy operations. The Cold War is played out in this alternate universe, but with super-men controlled by the Reds and magic wielding sorcerers on the side of the UK.

The novel picks up on the surviv
Marsha
If I could give this ten stars, I would. Awesome!! Kept me up all night reading it! More later...

Later...

I find keeping up with current trilogies difficult. When I am waiting years between books, I can forget many of the details, and while I retained the general plot and admiration of Bitter Seeds, I forgot many of the details. When I began The Coldest War, I was really confused, as I couldn't figure out if I missed a huge chunk of the book or what, because Tregillis brings the reader in with th
Spigana
Ja sākumā šķita, ka šī grāmata man nepatiks, tad uz beigām jau biju pagalam aizrāvusies un gatava zemes spert gaisā par to, ka grāmata beidzās ar tādu cliffhanger. Autors ir meistarīgi kāpinājis spriedzi un atrauties bija grūti.
Biju sajūsmā par to, ka lasītājam beidzot ir dota iespēja pamatīgi iepazīties ar Grētu un nekā nespēju saprast, kāpēc grāmatas anotācijā viņa tiek saukta par vājprātīgu. Viņa taču ir absolūti ģeniāla un, ņemot vērā viņas mērķi, es viņu īsti pat par ļaunu nespēju uzskatīt.
Linda
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When a colleague introduced me to the series, he said that the second book was what really sold it to him and he couldn't wait to read the third one. After reading the first book in the series, I was skeptical about that statement. Surely, Mr. Tregillis couldn't make the story more interesting. Alas, I was wrong. The character development, the plot twists, the everything. Just, wow. Certainly one of the best books I've read this year.
AndrewP
This book continues several years after the first book of the trilogy "Bitter Seeds" ended. The second world war was won but then a new threat in the form of Communist Russia evolves. This leads to the 'cold war' period of history. The British continue to fight using magic, although in much more subdued way that in the first book. Some former foes are now on their side too.

I enjoyed the majority of this book quite a bit more than the first one. It was a real page turner right up to the end. But,
Paul Nelson
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books-read
The Coldest War is the follow up to Ian Tregillis's debut alternate history come fantasy war drama Bitter Seeds and the Milkweed trilogy will conclude with the third novel Necessary Evil.
The series is an original take on the events and the aftermath of the World War II period of history and Britain's fight against Germany and Russia.

Set over 20 years after the events in Bitter Seeds, Europe is a vastly different place, Russia is the controlling entity and an uneasy truce remains in place.
Gretel
Zedsdead
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Tim
Shelves: favorites
Book 2 of the Milkweed Triptych, and holy hot damn, what a follow-up. Twenty-odd years have passed since the (alternate) end of WWII. Marsh endures the tortured wreck of a marriage, Will has a wonderful wife who dragged him back from the brink of self-destruction, and Klaus has spent two decades as a prisoner/consultant of the Soviet empire. And Gretel continues to spin her sadistic and impenetrable web around all three of them.

The middle book of the trilogy reads like a spy-adventure novel. Mar
Lauma
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asinzāles triptiha otrā grāmata. Asinzāles triptiha grāmatas, manuprāt, ir savstarpēji tik cieši saistītas, ka nav vērts tās lasīt vai aplūkot atsevišķi. Tāpēc šī recenzija ir par visām.

Karš, tumši, melni, ar līķiem un visāda veida ļaunumu. Ideāla atmosfēra. Īpaši bonuspunkti par otrajā grāmatā ieskicēto Padomju Savienības raksturojumu, kas ar it kā nelielu detaļu palīdzību rada tik vēsturiski precīzu izjūtu, neskatoties uz it kā tik atšķirīgo alternatīvo vēsturi.

Sižets uzbūvēts kā sarežģīts kon
Estibaliz79
May 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Una trama sorprendente, una subyugante ambientación y, sobre todo, personajes fascinantes. Esta novela es un ejemplo de la mejor -y más apasionante- historia alternativa que he leído jamás. Bravo." Lo dice Cory Doctorow en boingboing.net y así se recoge en la propia contraportada de esta segunda entrega del Tríptico de Asclepia... y está todo tan bien dicho y con tanta razón de ser, que poco más se puede hacer que darle la razón y callarse.
Esta segunda entrega, si bien no se puede decir que sea
Ton
Oct 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Following Bitter Seeds, The Coldest War, is the second installment of the Milkweed Tryptich, which focuses on an alternative history of WW II by virtue of paranormal intervention. This second installment nicely ties into the first, with a set-up for the third part which I found very intriguing. I’m about to dive into that one next.

The Coldest War takes us back to the characters of the previous installments, but it’s set some twenty odd years later. The main characters are largely the same, but s
James
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sf
I really liked the concept for Bitter Seeds (first in the series), but was slightly disappointed in its execution. Granted, it can't be easy to fully develop the idea of super-powered nazis versus British warlocks while still firmly grounding it in 1940s Europe. The sequel more than makes up for it though. The Coldest War actually meets and exceeds the high hopes I'd had for Bitter Seeds.

Normally I hate the idea of precognition, but the concept of a precognitive sociopath is too intriguing to p
Kate O'Hanlon
Now this is how you write the second book in a trilogy. No wheel spinning here, no siree.

Set 20 years after the events of Bitter Seeds, The Coldest War opens with one of my favourite spec-fic themes, what happens to the heroes after the great battle. I found Marsh stuffy, priggish and reckless in the first novel, so I was sort of psyched to see that things had gone to shit for him and turned out pretty well for Will. Of course it all got a little more complicated than that as the story unfolded.
Small Creek
Apr 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Don't know if I can ever finish this.
Madara Bruģe
Jan 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Akjel, akjel.
Thomas Stacey
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars rounded up to 5 because of that ending.

This was a huge step up from 'Bitter Seeds'. The amount of payoff from the events of the first book, even things I didn't even realise were being foreshadowed, was astounding. Bitter Seeds indeed! Damn you Gretel!

Most of the surviving characters return and nearly all of them are worse for wear. It's fascinating to see how the experiences of the first book have shaped them in almost unrecognisable ways. Friends become enemies and enemies become a
Fer Yuvre
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay pocas cosas que me gusten más de un libro, que una buena estructura y que me dejen todo cerrado ( sin resentimientos Lemonny Snicket). Me encanta cuando te puedes permitir hacer este tipo de cosas. Ahora bien, me habría gustado que los personajes nuevos tuviesen toda la profundidad que tienen los de la novela anterior. Y esto no se consigue o a mi no me ha llegado tanto, a pesar de todo lo que salen los principales agentes de Asclepia. Tengo muchas ganas de ver como el autor cierra la histor ...more
Ivita Pelnena
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jēziņ, tas tik bija kaut kas! Baisi labs ceļojums, tagad noteikti jāuzzina kā šis stāsts beidzās.
Mike
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Ian Tregillis’ Bitter Seeds was one of if not my absolute favorite debut of 2010. After several major missteps by the publisher (well documented on the author’s blog) the second novel of the Milkweed Triptych, The Coldest War, is set for release later this year. In a bizarre experiment the decision was made to release the audiobook first via the fine folks at Audible.com. For those needing a refresher Bitter Seeds was an alternate history novel that rewrites World War II pitting the products of ...more
Mia
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Forget stars. This rates 10 fireballs and not a dud among them.

This is the second book in the Milkweed Triptych and while I strive to avoid spoilers, I am not immune to inadvertent slips. The standard warning applies: do not read this review if you have yet to read book one (Bitter Seeds).

In 'The Coldest War', we are reunited with Raybould Marsh some twenty years after the events in 'Bitter Seeds'. Marsh is a shadow of his former self, ground down by the tragedies in his life since he left His M
Mihir
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it

Full Review originally at Fantasy Book Critic

Overall review = 4 & 1/2 stars.

Analysis: The Coldest War is the sequel to Ian Tregillis’s brilliant debut Bitter Seeds, this book opens up nearly twenty years after the events of the second world war that took place in this alternate historical world. I was very much intrigued by this book and dove in based on Liviu’s excellent review of the first book.

The story begins in 1963 and we are introduced to a Europe wherein a cold war is on but the p
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Coldest War [July 6 2018] 8 26 Jul 10, 2018 06:07PM
Now Available via Audible.com / Further schedules 1 12 Jan 17, 2012 12:58PM
  • And Blue Skies From Pain (The Fey and the Fallen, #2)
  • Exogene (The Subterrene War, #2)
  • Caine's Law (The Acts of Caine, #4)
  • Sharps
  • Cowboy Angels
  • Land of Hope and Glory (Land of Hope and Glory, #1)
  • The Book of Transformations (Legends of the Red Sun, #3)
  • The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club
  • Operation Luna (Operation Otherworld, #2)
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • Suited (The Veiled Worlds, #2)
  • Wake of the Bloody Angel (Eddie LaCrosse, #4)
  • A Path to Coldness of Heart (Dread Empire, #8; Last Chronicle of the Dread Empire, #3)
  • The Suicide Exhibition (The Never War #1)
  • The Last Page (Caliph Howl, #1)
  • Infidel (Bel Dame Apocrypha, #2)
  • The Creative Fire (Ruby's Song #1)

Milkweed Triptych (4 books)
  • What Doctor Gottlieb Saw
  • Bitter Seeds (The Milkweed Triptych, #1)
  • Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych, #3)