Start by marking “Promptings or Me? Recognizing the Spirit's Voice” as Want to Read:
Promptings or Me? Recognizing the Spirit's Voice

Promptings or Me? Recognizing the Spirit's Voice

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Sometimes it seems impossible to find answers for life's important decisions. Even after praying, it can be difficult to discern the Spirit's voice from the other voices around us. Using his own special insights and his experience as a psychotherapist, Kevin Hinckley helps you answer the question we've all asked at one time or another: Is it a prompting, or is it just me?
Published February 8th 2011 by Cedar Fort, Inc. (first published August 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Promptings or Me? Recognizing the Spirit's Voice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promptings or Me? Recognizing the Spirit's Voice

Greg
Promptings or Me was one of the really insightful and useful books I have read in the last couple of years. Kevin Hinckley is warmly encouraging, well-versed in gospel doctrine, and insightful in suggesting practical applications of what many see as confusing or mystical aspects of the gospel – how to listen, hear, and act upon spiritual promptings. In addition, K.H. is a successful psychotherapist, and thus is able to bring to bear his understanding of the human condition as he discusses these ...more
Allison Dunlap
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Understanding the voice of the Spirit is a lifelong process. I appreciated the chapter on personality differences and how the Spirit speaks differently to each of us, it's definitely not a "one size fits all" experience. Good author. Good writing,
Christina
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction-lds
This book took me a while to get through - not because it's long or boring, but because I had to stop and think about things a lot as I went. The author has some insights into prayer and revelation that were powerful for me. The right message at the right time. I am putting this on my Christmas wish-list because there were so many parts I wanted to underline and write notes but couldn't in a borrowed book.

One minor complaint. The author occasionally attributes words to Christ that he didn't actu
Kandi
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book definately wasn't a book that i could all the way through and take it all in as you can see. i started this book back in february and i sat down today and finished it. Everytime i picked this up to read just to read it made no sense to me, i couldn't get very far or didn't take anything in. When i felt inspired to read this book like today things made sense, it was easier to apply it to my life, my experiences and even what is going on in my life that i was able to understand it and ap ...more
Tara
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this book slowly, a little here and a little there, and so I don't think I gathered in as much spiritual enlightenment as I could have if I sat down with a red pencil and really took to studying it. I think what I came away with more than anything, is a better concept of how to pray. He discusses a lot about how prayer is really coming to know the will of God, and not a list of blessings that you'd like for yourself or others. I could identify with his description of knowing that you are ...more
Tamra
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved that this book helped me think about how the spirit works in ways I had never considered before. It made sense and put things in layman's terms and I found myself often saying, "Yes! I know! That's exactly what I've felt!" It was incredibly helpful and reassuring.
Kristen
Jun 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I spent a long time reading this book because it really made me think about myself, how I pray, how I interact with my heavenly father and what my thoughts were on promptings I have received.

thank you Kevin for another book that has helped my testimony grow and strengthened me as a person.
Chris
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I would consider it life-changing, but it's a good encouragement to think more deeply about prayer and consider our relationship with Heavenly Father more deeply than we sometimes do. I really enjoyed it!
Joella www.cinjoella.com
This book had a lot of great quotes and helped me to think about how I receive revelation. Great food for thought.
Brooke
May 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like this book, though towards the end it talked of how some promptings you think you have could be mental illness - that made me a little nervous - JK! :)
Sandra
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm always second guessing myself, and this book shed great light on ways to better read the spirit. Great writer, easy to read and lots to think about. Especially insightful thoughts on prayer.
Karen
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Very applicable companion study.
Saralyn
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I liked that this book not only answered some questions, but brought up some good questions to chew on.
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read and very insightful - it will be a book that I read again and study
Diane
Dec 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I didn't agree with every single thing, but it was definitely uplifting.
Elaine
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Some parts of this were mind-blowing. All of it was life changing. It's helped me see things in a different light. I definitely will be re-reading this.
Chris Bray
Michelle Sorensen
Dec 30, 2017
Lynn
Aug 14, 2011
Kevin Hinckley has been advising individuals, families and businesses for over 20 years. He is a Psychotherapist and Life Skills Coach. He is is a facilitator with the LDS Addiction Recovery Program and sits on the board of directors for ANTHEM and Strong Families Dallas, a non-profit organization, an advocate for marriage and families in North Texas. He is a frequent speaker with church and youth ...more
More about Kevin Hinckley...