Start by marking “Witch World: Web of the Witch World” as Want to Read:
Witch World: Web of the Witch World

Witch World: Web of the Witch World (Witch World Series 1: The Estcarp Cycle #2)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,742 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Andre Norton enthralled readers for decades with thrilling tales of people challenged to the limits of their endurance in epic battles of good against evil. None are more memorable than her Witch World novels. The Kolder linger on, a constant threat to Simon and the witches he's sworn to protect. To save their world from this threat from another dimension, Simon and Jaelit ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 31st 2010 by Findaway World (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Witch World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witch World

Pam Baddeley
This second volume in the Witch World series is a continuation of the story begun in book 1. It is set a year after the end of book 1 and the marriage of the man from our world, Simon Tregarth, and Jaelithe, formerly one of the witches of Estcarp. Simon is now fully established as a citizen of his adopted home and has been made a marshal in the south of the country, in charge of a force guarding the border against aggression from their neighbour, Karsten.

As the story opens, Jaelithe realises tha
Stephen Brooke
This is not so much a sequel to ‘Witch World’ as a continuation of that story, which ended on a somewhat anticlimactic and inconclusive note. ‘Web’ is not quite the equal of its predecessor but manages to be an entertaining adventure story.

Science fiction comes more to the front in this story than in WW, and the fantasy elements are somewhat of a veneer. To me, that made it a bit less interesting — it was the focus on those sword-toting heroes and wily witches that made ‘Witch World’ stand out f
Sable
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for the Women of Genre Fiction Challenge.

I think I really like Andre Norton. This is only the second book of hers that I've read, the second of the classic Witch World series. I really love what she's done here but I think you've got to have read the pulp fantasy and sci-fi classics - in particular Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom series - in order to fully appreciate it. She's spun a new take on classic pulp fiction. In a way she was the George R. R. Martin of her time; she was flipping the
Valerie
I finished this book with an odd sense of incompleteness. For example, the motives of Aldis of Kars are almost completely undeveloped. Norton was experimenting with multiple viewpoints in this book, but Aldis is represented internally only once, and thereafter her actions are only viewed by others.

It might've been interesting to see what she thought of things. As the only female Kolder agent (apparently), why did she abandon the plans she sold out to the Kolder to further? Why, then, did she tu
Fefi
Questo secondo libro parte abbastanza fantasy per arrivare come storia di fantascienza. Simon,la strega/maga che nel frattempo è pure diventata sua moglie,anche se non si sa bene come, e tutta la truppa del precedente libro,sono alle prese con portali che conducono in altri mondi,possessioni psichiche e rapimenti alieni con sommergibili. Il mondo di Escarp ora è sotto attacco da una razza aliena proveniente da non si sa dove che si scontrerà con la magia delle streghe.
Più intrigante del primo,ma
Kat  Hooper
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Web of the Witch World continues the story of Simon Tregarth, the modern man who escaped assassination by coming through a gate into the Witch World, and Jaelithe, a witch of Estcarp, as they fight the strange enemy who are invading their land. At the end of the previous novel, the Kolder, who are from a technologically advanced planet, had been defeated by the witchery of Jaelithe and her sisters (and it seems that Simon has some powers, too). Jaelithe ga
Tracey
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, omnibus, 3-star
A while back, a then-friend who is a huge Andre Norton fan challenged me to read Witch World, in exchange for which she would watch Doctor Who. To the best of my knowledge, the latter never happened, but I kept my part of the bargain.

Simon Tregarth and Jaelithe are together now, the Witch having surrendered her name, and her virginity, and therefore her powers to Simon. I think a powerful story could have been told about just that; they are at war, and Witches, never plentiful, are fewer in num
Nancy
Another ridiculous 80s cover though, as I have no idea what the smaller figure is representing - Simon, I suppose but not in any way as portrayed in the book.

The 2nd book follows on the heels of the 1st, although it starts with Simon and Jaelithe married, a done deal - so nothing is shown of the decision to sacrifice her powers, confronting her sisters or any internal angst.

Having established the characters and players in the 1st book, there is more plot action relating to those dastardly Kolder
DaveA
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quite good book. As was Witch world (first of this series), not quite as enigmatic nor dark as some of Norton's other books, but still quite good. There were several places in this story where events weren't explained very well, and I wasn't quite sure what was happening. Also, as in the first book, the ending was a bit anti-climatic. The story built up to a big battle, but there wasn't much to the ending battle. Sitll, very enjoyable, though.

The different series in the Witch World books was r
Wise_owl
This is the third of the 'Witch-world' novels I have read, and the 2nd of the earliest 'series' of said books.

Like much of classic fiction, it's inteeresting to read a book that formulates and utilizes cliches and tropes, especially when some of those tropes now evoke a very different cultural response. I expected Witch-world to be fantasy, and it was, and yet it reminded me far more of say Michael Morcooks' Runestaff books than it did of Tolkien. Ancient alien forces utilizing some sort of tec
Stephen Poltz
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Web” was a bit of a surprise. I liked “Witch World”, but didn’t love it. I struggled with the prose and simply the act of reading. The version of the book I had was a first edition paperback with a font that looks like 6 point on yellowing paper so old, it’s orange. I could only read about twenty pages before getting tired. It was nominated for a Hugo in 1964, but it didn’t generate the excitement in me I thought it would. “Web” on the other hand, had me totally enrapt. I ate it up despite the ...more
Hokomoko
A fine sequel to The Witch World (#1), though it doesn't have the remarkable pacing, extraordinary reversals and vast scope of the first book. Norton ties up lots of loose ends and spends too much time adding new muscles to the Hero. The antagonists remain quite terrible in this book, though somehow despite their pervasiveness and ever trumped power, the tension fails to hold. Norton seems to have violated the key to maintaining horror: an asymmetry of power and knowledge between the villains an ...more
Rusty
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've rediscovered Andre Norton thanks to a book club member who included this one in an order. The hero finds himself embroiled in an alien world war to which he has traveled. In this new environment he has won a throne and a witch-wife but finds it threated by highly scientific alien invaders from a place called the Kolder. The story provides an enjoyable read as Simon Tregarth and his witch-wife, Jaelithe, strive to save the world to which he has been transplanted. The reader hears the story f ...more
Richard
As one might expect, this volume doesn't work as well as "Witch World". However, it is an enjoyable read and furthers the adventures of the characters we have already met in Norton's interesting universe.
For those interested, the entire series in reading order is:

Witch World
Web of,the Witch World
Year of the Unicorn
Three Against the Witch World
Warlock of the Witch World
Sorceress of the Witch World

Later on Norton added Spell of the Witch World--a collection of stories set in that universe.
Vladimir Ivanov
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Неожиданно зачетный (особенно на фоне средненькой первой части) science fantasy боевик, с псионикой, мечами, танками, древними цивилизациями, коварной политикой, межмировыми вратами и всем прочим. Очевидный источник вдохновения для Фармера с его Многоярусным миром, как в свою очередь сам Фармер позднее послужил источником вдохновения для Желязны с Амбером, ну и далее везде, вплоть до строссовских Merchant Princes. Занятная такая творческая эстафета через десятилетия :)
Salimbol
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A reasonably enjoyable book. There's some clunky grammar in here, and most of the characterisations are pretty thin, but it's not looking too shabby for a book that's nearly 50 years old! At any rate, it's been 20 years since I last read a Witch world book, so this served as a good reintroduction to that universe.
Janelle
In the second of the Witch World series, Jaelith and Simon are trying rescue Loyse and stop Kolder from full scale invasion. A nice little sequel to the first book, this does a good job of digging a little more into Jaelith's and Simon's relationship and exploring more the origins of Kolder and its alien technology.
Ero
Oct 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strangely sloppy and unsatisfying, and reads as if it were written under extreme deadline pressure; situations spin by without clarification, characters come and go for no reason, and parts of the prose are almost impossible to read with a straight face. However, Andre Norton's baseline brilliance of invention is hard to beat.
Dean Sault
I read this book simply because it was written by one of my favorite authors. It turned out to be too much mysticism for me and not enough "science fiction" for which Norton is known. Hence, I am not a suitable reader to judge this work. No star rating...it would not be fair.
Jennifer Heise
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches
This story of Simon Tregarthe and Jaelithe confronting the final battle with Kolder is more original plotting of the Witch World novels. I think Andre wrote a lot of background books about the Witch World which had similar quest features, but this isn't one of them.
Jon
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fine follow-on, and in particular did a great job of giving a previously minor character a stronger part. The main internal conflict between Simon and Jaelithe is a mixed bag: it's human, simple, and credible; but on the other hand I reacted a bit with "oh, just grow up".
Mary
Dec 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as good as I remembered from the first time I read it in 1985.
Paulina
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely worse than the first one, felt like Andre Norton was under pressure (from readers or the publisher) to continue what was already a finished story.
Diana Fowler
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great norton

Not her best but well worth a read ! Well deserves the title of GRAND MASTER !! I Liked it .
Wm J Byington
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love her books

I have her books in paperback now I'm putting them here where I can make text larger so I can enjoy them again.
Doris
Apr 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have never liked this as much as the other books about the Witch World, and after reading others' comments, I realized it is because it feels incomplete and out of place.
Kat
Feb 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Old school fantasy/sci-fi. Wrote my thesis about this book and other Andre Norton's. No feminist protagonist, but strong female characters and even stronger feminist implications.
Bob
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Good sequel to Witch World. Better action though pretty straightforward plot.
Charles
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A good follow up to Witch World. I have it in Hard back from the SF book club. The volume includes the first three books.
Eric
Mar 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FNA, this book is absolutely enthralling. A new dimension of depth is added that absolutely draws me into the story, I loved it!
  • Ender's Game Alive: The Full Cast Audioplay
  • Black Trillium (The Saga of the Trillium, #1)
  • Darkmage (Windrose Chronicles, #1-2)
  • Pilgrimage to Earth
  • Лабиринт отражений. Фальшивые зеркала. Прозрачные витражи (Лабиринт отражений #1-3)
  • The Galaxy Primes
  • Hiero's Journey (Hiero, #1)
  • The Northern Girl (Chronicles of Tornor, #3)
  • Greyfax Grimwald (Circle of Light, #1)
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Polymath (Zarathustra Refugee Planets, #2)
  • Quest for the Well of Souls (Saga of the Well World, #3)
  • The Fallible Fiend (Novarian, #3)
  • No One Noticed the Cat
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...

Witch World Series 1: The Estcarp Cycle (10 books)
  • Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1)
  • Three Against the Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #3)
  • Warlock of the Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #4)
  • Sorceress of the Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #5)
  • Trey of Swords (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #6)
  • Ware Hawk (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #7)
  • The Gate of the Cat (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #8)
  • Ciara's Song: A Chronicle of Witch World (Witch World Series 1:The Estcarp Cycle, #9)
  • The Duke's Ballad