Start by marking “Girl Soldier: A Story of Hope for Northern Uganda's Children” as Want to Read:
Girl Soldier: A Story of Hope for Northern Uganda's Children

Girl Soldier: A Story of Hope for Northern Uganda's Children

For several decades a brutal army of rebels has been raiding villages in northern Uganda, kidnapping children and turning them into soldiers or wives of commanders. More than 30,000 children have been abducted over the last twenty years and forced to commit unspeakable crimes.
Grace Akallo was one of these. Her story, which is the story of many Ugandan children, recounts h
Published June 1st 2007 by Chosen Books

Julia
Jun 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
This book had such potential, but failed. The religious diatribe dispersed throughout the historical and cultural background of this book about the struggles in Uganda really dishonors the courage and persistence displayed by the people who live it.
Shakaela
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Girl Soldier" was a very intriguing book that helped me answer some of the questions I had about the wars in Africa and what is going on in there. Grace Akallo's story was an eye opener for me of the horrific trauma going on in places like Africa, without much of the world's knowledge. I never knew much of what was happening in Africa before reading this book, I couldn't understand also why the news barely ever tells of what is happening in the other side of the world.

I felt Grace's pain in th
dianne
May 18, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: uganda
This was written jointly by an Islamophobic "christian" and a young woman who was kidnapped by the LRA (one of the "Aboke girls"). Occasionally the writing is engaging, but the frequent side-trips to simplistic Islam (bad) vs Christian (good) excuses for all that plagues northern Uganda are irritating.
Frequently statements are made with absolutely no reference given: "the mortality rates in northern Uganda are double those for displaced person camps for the Darfurians of western Sudan".
i did, h
Christie
Jul 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Northern Uganda conflict
Swapping chapters Grace Akallo describes her horrific story of being abducted as a child by the Lord's Resistance Army lead by Joseph Kony in Northern Uganda while Faith McDonnell gives a historical account of this history along with Christian commentary.
I was hoping for more of an emphasis on Grace's story but there seemed to be more pages from Faith with an over-active Christian vocabulary and commentary.
Kristen
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Every other chapter was easy/interesting to read as the story of a child torn from her home and made into a soldier unfolded. The opposite chapters told the history of the Ugandan war and were pretty dry. About half-way through it became easier to read and more enjoyable. I'm glad I stuck with it, but I enjoyed reading "A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" more.
Laurie
Dec 31, 2007 rated it liked it
I almost stopped reading this book when I started it: I found its blatantly "hallelujiah" style distracting at best. But eventually I got into it and learned a lot about the country I recently lived in for nearly 4 months this past summer. It's written by two authors: a former LRA child soldier and an American humanitarian/activist who gives a historical perspective throughout. Both authors don't write terribly well - referencing things of interest without explaining them, skipping large portion ...more
Jan 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
not well researched or informative. it is mostly a christian story with a story of a child soldier on the side (which isn't the point). the real aim of the book appears to be to promote religion rather than telling the story of this girl. I found this disappointing as i'm sure she has an incredible story to tell us all.
Lynn Dove
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I suppose timing is everything right now, and I downloaded this book on Kindle when it was free quite a while ago, but did not start reading it until this week.

With the viral explosion of Kony 2012 on YouTube, and the upcoming world-wide event that will try to bring to light the decades old atrocities that this man has perpetrated on the children (the invisible children) of Uganda, it is timely I would read this book.

When a book is written by two authors (as this one is), it is oftentimes diffic
Ian King
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is a very powerful story of the wickedness of Men (Joseph Kony to be precise.)
Faith is the girl who has written this account of the girl soldier named Grace.
Grace has been a child bride for Joseph Kony's closest men, and she has been shared with him in most degrading ways. She has been buried alive, raped, brutalized and made to witness the killing of parents and friends - she has been forced to carry out these desensitization acts herself, and still survived through her own grit and determ
Liralen
I had mixed feelings about this book. The authors alternate chapters -- one chapter of memoir by Grace Akallo followed by a chapter of history and politics by Faith McDonnell, and so on and so forth. On the one hand, it's really helpful to have that history. I know the basics of the conflict in Uganda, but this gave more structure.

On the other hand, it was incredibly biased. I think I was supposed to come out of reading that book thinking that Muslims are all evil and the only way to end the con
Mary
Feb 03, 2015 rated it liked it
story of teen girl abducted in Uganda around 2006. hard read - half of book is facts and figures (other half is Grace's own story), as well as hard to stomach the atrocities. worth a read to learn tragic history.
Zach Ross
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Girl Soldier is about the constant war going on in Uganda. The LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) has killed thousands of children and have turn many more into killers. Grace Akallo, a co-author, lived through this horrifying nightmare and is here to tell her story. This book was written to show people, like us Americans, that life is not always the same in every part of the world. Many, if not almost all, Americans probably never would have thought something like this was happening to humanity in ano ...more
Michael Cameron
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is very interesting because it is real. I chose to read this book because I did not know as much about life in Africa as I wanted to. It is about a teenage girl who lived in Uganda and was kidnapped from her school by rebels, or Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army. This girl's name was Grace Akallo, who is one of the authors. The other author of this book is Faith McDonnell, who talks about the life and war in Northern Uganda. The chapters alternated authors throughout the whole book; ...more
Simon
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Like many, I first learned about the atrocities committed by the Lord's Resistance Army against children and adults in Uganda through the campaign against Kony on YouTube. I wanted to find out more and so purchased this book. I wasn't disappointed.

It is written by two authors Grace Akallo, who is a survived being abducted by the LRA and tells of her experiences, and Faith McDonnell, who provides the history leading up to the formation of the LRA and an overview of their modus operandi. The two
Adeena
Oct 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book shared the true life experience of a teenage girl kidnapped by rebels and forced into a life of war in Uganda. it tells of her day to day endurance by keeping her fiath. she is forced to do things that she never wanted to do like marry an older man who beat her and abused her. in the end she finds a escape route with someother kids and she is able to help free captured teenagers. she then gets recognized for her great work and visits important people in and near our country. i recomend ...more
Victoria
Aug 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This book gives us historical accounts on Uganda's history of bloodshed leading up to Joseph Kony's LRA horrors and why it is that he has targeted the Acholi people in order to have a sort of ethnic cleansing through kidnapping children and making them kill their families and neighbors. Since the 1980s he has brought horror to each village in Uganda and into even parts of the Congo now.

A survivor of the LRA, Grace Akallo writes about her childhood, her kidnapping, and how God led her o
Jamie
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Told alternately between Grace's first hand experience and Faith's historical perspective, Girl Soldier tells the story of the war in northern Uganda and the child abductions of Joseph Kony's LRA.

Grace was abducted by the LRA from her high school in 1996 and held as a child soldier and wife for seven months. During that time she was starved, raped, forced to brutally kill other children, and was left for dead on several occasions. In the chaos of battle one day she escaped with nothing but her g
bjneary
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
Grace Akallo is a 15 year old Acholi girl who is wrenched from her school at night and forced to become a soldier in Joseph Kony's Lord's Resisitance Army in Uganda. In alternating chapters, we hear Grace's voice which has faith in God but it is tested when she is raped, beaten and forced to kill others. The other chapters are written by Faith McDonnell and she tells the history of Uganda's forgotten children. I learned that countries in Africa suffer from the crazed notions of leaders who only ...more
Charryse Fredrick
Mar 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
The title of this book stopped my in my tracks, along with the alluring eyes of the girl pictured on the cover, as I browsed through books in Barnes & Noble, searching for something. I found this non-fiction book by authors, Grace & Faith, and from the moment I read the back cover and looked inside, I new I needed to read the story told on the pages.

The unique telling of Grace's experience as a child soldier in Africa, after being abducted in the night, and the history of the conflict, e
Katherine
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book is very interesting and informative. The chapters alternate authors, so every other chapter was written by the point of view of either Grace (the former child soldier), or Faith (activist). I enjoyed reading Grace's accounts more, but Faith included important facts and history about the war in Uganda that helps explain Grace's situation. Many parts are heartbreaking and difficult to read, but Grace's strength to overcome adversity and triumph after all she has been through is inspiring ...more
Sam Taylor
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: diverse-lit, memoir
Grace's words were compelling and eye-opening. I think her story would have been better served if the co-writer and editors of this book had trusted Grace's story and experience to stand more on it's own, than to be interspersed between (much lengthier) chapters of background explanation and interpretation. But Grace's chapters can present a chilling narrative of her time as s forced child solider for the LRA.
Deanna
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This true story gives a vivid account of what girls go through in Northern Uganda. Unfortunately, we don't hear these story's in our country. If we did, many Americans might push our government to do more for these children. If Northern Uganda has vast minerals, such as oil, we would be in this country fighting for them to have a democratic country. Instead, we don't appear to give a damn and allow the people of this country to be slaughtered and the children to be forced to kill or be killed.
Gabi MacNaughton
Feb 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Okay so I really liked this book and I thought that the message that it sent was good but I thought that it would have been better if Grace's voice had been stronger and Faith's a little less present because Grace's recollections of her past were extremely interesting and drew me in and then Faith's sections of the novel were a bit too long, factual, Christian biased, and even a bit redundant. Over all good and would recommend it to only certain people.
Susan
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I give Girl Soldier '4 stars' not because it is a well written (sadly, it is not) but because Grace Akallo's story is an important one to hear. For the bravery and honesty Grace demonstrates in retelling the horrors she endured as a child soldier with the LRA, Girl Soldier is a must read. It is time to bring Joseph Kony (founder of the LRA) to justice for the heinous crimes against humanity committed under his command.
Rebekah
This is a really great book because it was written by two authors. The chapters switch back and forth between the history of the conflict in Uganda and the personal account of a young girl who was abducted by the LRA, raped, and forced to kill at age 13. This is a Christian book so it talks alot about the young girl's faith and the history of Christian Martyrs in the region.
Richelle Wright
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
i'm glad i read the book, but... i really would rather give it a 2.5 stars...

i found the story parts fascinating, some of the history terrifying, but wasn't particularly impressed with the writing or the "alternate" chapters. seemed like the authors' agendas overwhelmed what had potential to be a heart breaking account of the horrors still going on in Uganda and neighboring countries.
Hellen
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it
It's an amazing story of a girl soldier who somehow survived the civil war in Northern Uganda. I didn't like how the books was organized--every other chapter was facts written by another author about the war. It broke up the story and it made for a disconnected read. I'd rather have them separated.
Alicia
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Picked this up in my twins' bedroom when I was missing them one day (they're both currently overseas as missionaries). They started an Invisible Children Club in high school to help victims of the LRA such as the girl in this book. Horrifying what the LRA has done to the people of Uganda...
Josiah
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 17+(Detailed Violence)
This book is really good and really opens up your eyes to what is really happening in Uganda. However I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone who hasn't read; Freda. A survivors account of the Rawandan Genocide
Paula
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not very well put together, but very informative. Gives a broad history of the LRA in Uganda, intermingled with the story (in her own words) of Grace Akallo, who was kidnapped by the LRA and forced to become a child soldier.
  • First Kill Your Family: Child Soldiers of Uganda and the Lord's Resistance Army
  • Where Soldiers Fear to Tread: A Relief Worker's Tale of Survival
  • Aboke Girls. Children Abducted in Northern Uganda
  • Terrify No More: Young Girls Held Captive and the Daring Undercover Operation to Win Their Freedom
  • One Day the Soldiers Came: Voices of Children in War
  • Ending Slavery: How We Free Today's Slaves
  • Infinitely More
  • God Grew Tired of Us: A Memoir
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • Behind the Veils of Yemen: How an American Woman Risked Her Life, Family, and Faith to Bring Jesus to Muslim Women
  • One Call Away: Facing the Unexpected with Resilient Faith
  • Notes from the Hyena's Belly: An Ethiopian Boyhood
  • Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America
  • Jantsen's Gift: A True Story of Grief, Rescue, and Grace
  • Abyssinian Chronicles
  • The Bite of the Mango
  • My Father, Maker of the Trees: How I Survived the Rwandan Genocide
  • More Glimpses of Heaven: Inspiring True Stories of Hope and Peace at the End of Life's Journey