Start by marking “Enemy Pie (Reading Rainbow Book, Children’s Book about Kindness, Kids Books about Learning)” as Want to Read:

A Reading Rainbow book for your child

Recommend by experts for children who are reading independently and transitioning to longer books.

Teach kindness, courtesy, respect, and friendship:
It was the perfect summer. That is, until Jeremy Ross moved into the house down the street and became neighborhood enemy number one. Luckily Dad had a surefire way to get rid of enemies: En
Published September 1st 2000 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Enemy Pie, please sign up.
Rayette Just read it, you'll get it...it could be enemy cake or BROWNIES. It's the idea that is awesome.

Sophia Triad
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting approach of how to make new friends. A young boy tells his father about his number one enemy. His father very wisely suggests a playdate with his enemy for a whole day and then dinner and serving his enemy a magic pie that eliminates enemies.
Only this pie transforms bad enemies into best friends!

Father is an excellent story character and I wonder if he is a single parent. There is no mother mentioned.

Very clever and original illustrations.
Melki
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidstuff
The best way to get rid of an enemy is to make them your friend. I really liked this story, but I wasn't too keen on the artwork. The big-headed kids with eyes nearly on the sides of their heads reminded me of fish.

description

Creepy!
Rossy
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Wonderful story. This story is about a young boy who has an enemy: Jeremy Ross. He tells his father about him, and dad suggests baking him an "enemy pie". While dad bakes it, and before giving it to his enemy, he must spend one day with Jeremy. Will they get along? Was he right making him his #1 (and only) enemy? What is the pie made of? What will happen when Jeremy eats it!?!?!
SurLeFur ©
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It is natural for us to meet people we may not get along with. I like that the father came up with a little something to help solve his child’s problem.
Peter Randles
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first read this book the other day; not to my child or class but to my girlfriend. Two adults sat in bed and read Enemy Pie and thoroughly loved it, and this was not only because the father in the story looked like my girlfriend's dad. The illustrations have a delightful style and the story is wonderfully written.

The story concerns a young boy who does not like the new boy down the street, declaring him enemy number one. In need of advice the boy turns to his father for help, who digs out his
Cora
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Per my second graders: I liked it because my favorite food is pie! I liked it when he said, "Don't eat the pie! It may be poisoned!" I liked it because it showed you how to make friends! The pie looked good.
Cheryl
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Watched on youtube, got the impression it's long/wordy. But still effective, if just a little too obvious to experienced readers. I certainly hope, by the end, that no child is still confused.

I do wonder if Dad's recipe would work on real bullies?
Kimberly Mejorada
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
As a high school student i thought this book was easy and interesting to read. This book was easy and interesting to read. It's mainly about the main character trying to find a way to get rid of his enemy jeremy ross. So he learns that in order for this to work he needs to spend a whole day with him, but when he got to know him he realized that he wasn't so bad and they could be friends.

It's a lesson learning book, it's best for elemantary kids to read. They will learn a lesson from Enemy pi
Halle Stout
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very cute book that essentially taught me something. The book deals with enemies and how to make them your friend. The illustrations are a bit morbid but cute all the same and the lesson is truly memorable.
Stephanie Calhoun
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a wonderful book to build classroom community and address unfriendliness in the classroom. The students love it!
Ms. Shoshana
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: friendship, character
The narrator thinks his new neighbor Jeremy is his enemy until they spend a full day together. It's a good story about how sometimes first impressions are wrong, but frankly I've known lots of people I would still hate after a day together. What do you tell a kid when the enemy pie doesn't work???
Ryan
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On a podcast episode of The Sporkful, LeVar Burton said this is one of his favorite kids books, so I had to give it a try. And maybe I'm just having one of those 'I'll cry at ANYTHING days,' but I loved this book so much that it made me cry. Which is maybe something I shouldn't do at my work desk. But too bad. This book is great.
Fjóla
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 5 - 8 year olds
This is a very clever non moralizing friendship tale that both me and my five year old enjoyed immensely. It has the same theme as Chester's Way, another big favorite of ours, but the approach is bit different. I was so satisfied with this book that I would probably rate if five stars if only the illustrations had been more to my taste. They're fine, but I found the grotesque heads a little distracting, even if they were somewhat expressive.
Dolly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about getting rid of an enemy. The resolution to the story is completely obvious to the reader long before it is to the main character in the story.

I love that the father teaches his son to be kind and channel his frustration in a positive way. The illustrations are colorful and fun and we really enjoyed reading this book together.

Our daughters love this book and say that they've read this book in school several times. They like watching it on Tumblebooks, too.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A boy makes an enemy into a friend--through pie! Clever!
Watch Books
Apr 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Listened to an audio of this book years ago. It was one of those books that strung you along in order to teach you a valuable lesson at the end. Spoiler, he doesn't get rid of his enemy. :D

A cute simple book that offers a different perspective to kids who can be very headstrong about the way they feel. Would recommend.-Zoe

(P.S. I remember my bad self really wanted him to get revenge instead of becoming friends with his enemy. Guess books like this were needed for people like me.)
Heather
Mar 29, 2018 added it
Shelves: week-4
Text-to-World

'Enemy Pie' is all about getting to know people you *think* you dislike, even though you don't know them at all! This story is a good reminder to children and adults to not judge someone before you know who they are. Sometimes children are better at this than adults, as they can be very open and accepting and not notice some differences that make many adults stop and assume the worst. However, sometimes they let petty differences (Like Jeremy Ross being the new, fun kid in the book)
Lauren Callaway
This book is about a little boy who's enemy moves down the street from him. The little boy has his dad make the boy down the street an enemy pie but the secret is to spend a whole day with the enemy.

This book is great for young to readers to learn about being friends with everyone. The book has fun illustrations that the students will be interested and keep their interest.

This book is a great book for teachers to use to each the student about surprise endings when writing. This is a great resou
Trevor
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
What a cute book! The pictures are absolutely wonderful and what a great way to get a point across. The father teaches his son the best way to get rid of his enemies, which of course is to become friends with them! The story is probably best for intermediate readers or could be read out loud. Younger children would love the book!
Paige Scott
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-summaries
1) Everything was perfect and the summer had started out great, until Jeremy Ross moved into a new neighborhood, and became enemy number one of all the neighborhood kids, being the new kid on the block. However, the narrator's dad had a great idea of how to handle these enemies, a secret recipe of...Enemy Pie! Therefore, he said while he is cooking, you must spend the entire day with Jeremy....and be nice to him! Therefore him and Jeremy end up spending time together, and actually figured out th ...more
Nicole Nance
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Enemy Pie is a fantastic way to teach students about friendship. Throughout the book the main character, a young boy, struggles with his feelings toward Jeremy Ross, a boy who just moved into the neighborhood. The boy convinces himself that Jeremy Ross is his number one enemy. With the help of his dad, he bakes a pie with magic powers to serve to his enemy and get rid of him once and for all. The author does a remarkable job relating the two characters to children who often have the same feeling ...more
Leybet Parra
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book of "Enemy Pie" by Derek Munson is mostly about conflict in friendships. Enemy Pie is about a boy who at a young age already has an enemy. For the most dumpiest reason ever ( example in pg 4) . Because a Boy Name Jeremy Ross laughed at him when Jeremy strikes him out. He gets upset and call Jeremy one of his enemies ,his only enemy. He tells his father about him and his father says he has a perfect way to get rid off enemies.
The audience best to the book "Enemy Pie" is for kids ages or
Brianna Smith
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
Enemy Pie is a realistic fiction read aloud enjoyable for all ages.Students find the character to be very relatable, as he tells a sweet story of turning his number one enemy into a new friend. The boy was excited about his summer until he found out that Jeremy Ross moved into the house down the street. Jeremy Ross becomes his number one enemy, but dad comes to the rescues and reveals that he has a special way of getting rid of enemies, enemy pie. Though, enemy pie only works if you spend an ent ...more
Meg Stolte
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Enemy Pie is a wonderful story about a little boy who bakes a pie for his enemy, only to realize through the process that his enemy is actually is friend. He enlists the help of his father to help him bake a horrible pie for his enemy, Jeremy Ross. As his father bakes this “Enemy Pie,” he is told that in order for the pie to work, he needs to spend a whole day with his enemy. As he plays with his Enemy Number One, the main character realizes he doesn’t want to make him eat something awful, and s ...more
Melanie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ch_beth Rice
Feb 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
*Watched the reading of this story on storylineonline.net*
Enemy Pie by Derek Munson is about a young boy who is having the best summer ever until Jeremy Ross moves into the neighborhood. Jeremy soon becomes the boy’s number one enemy. The boy asks his dad for help and his dad has the perfect fix, a secret recipe for Enemy Pie. It’s so secret in fact that the boy must go out and play while his dad makes the pie. The boy ends up playing with Jeremy Ross, his enemy, and it turns out they have a gre
Daisy
Feb 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents and Teachers
Recommended to Daisy by: My teacher
When assigned to read this book call Enemy Pie by Derek Munson I thought it was going to be about a kid that was a bully to every other kid in his neighborhood. But, when reading it through with my assigned group it turned out that my prediction had been wrong from top to bottom.The book was way different then my prediction it was about a kid that had a enemy list and it turn out that he just had a one particular person on it and his name was Jeremy Ross. Through out the book the kid tells his ...more
Maria Rojas
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
This is a story of how to become best friends with your one and only enemy!!!

When Jeremy Ross came to the neighborhood it was no good news to the main character. He seemed to be friends with the other kids except him, so he decided to identify Jeremy Ross as his one and only enemy. When Dad told him about a pie that would help him get rid of enemies, the boy was very interested. There was just one important thing for Enemy Pie to work, he had to spend one whole day being nice to his enemy. As th
Karla Martinez
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book Enemy Pie is bases on a young kid that has an enemy that he doesn't like. He comments to his father that he doesn't really like him and so his father decides to give him a suggestion in order for him to get along with his enemy. His suggestion was to bake a cake and give it to his enemy. This little boy wasn't sure why his father wanted to bake him a pie and be nice. In my opinion this book is a great example for little kids of a young elementary age because it gives them more like a le ...more
Shannon Brasher
This is a great story to read to young children about enemies and not judging a book by their cover. The main character, a little boy, initially dislikes his new neighbor Jeremy Ross and subsequently declares him an enemy. When the little boy discussed his new enemy with his father, his father knew exactly what to do, make an enemy pie. Over the course of the rest of the book the little boy realizes he has more in common with Jeremy and that Jeremy was not as bad as he initially thought. I would ...more

• The Recess Queen
  • The Pirate of Kindergarten
  • Little Hoot
  • Max's Words
  • Be Good to Eddie Lee
  • A Bad Case of Tattle Tongue: Helping Kids Learn the Difference Between Tattling and Telling
  • Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed - A Children's Kindness Book
  • Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2)
  • Have You Filled A Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids
  • Chicken Little
Derek Munson works as a writer, speaker, and all-around daydreamer. His current hobbies include playing with his kids, avoiding his household responsibilities, and crashing on his mountain bike. He lives in Bellingham, Washington with his wife Suzanne, their daughter Abby, their son Zack, and Roger the family dog.