Start by marking “Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe” as Want to Read:
Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe

Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe

Putting this powerful message into print for the first time, visionary pastor Louie Giglio and songwriter Matt Redman team up to write a heart-stirring book about the mysteries of God’s creation. Indescribable takes readers on a journey through the vastness of outer space and into the depths of the soul. Modern science allows viewers to see farther into space than ever bef ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by David C. Cook

To ask other readers questions about Indescribable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indescribable

Jon Stephens
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recently read the book Indescribable by Louie Giglio & Matt Redman in preparation for teaching on the bigness of God. The book talks about the glory of God as seen in the beauty of the universe. Initially I was worried it would just be a retelling of the Louie Giglio message (dvd) called How Great is Our God, but it wasn’t at all. Giglio mentions the four stars from his message, but this is all new material.

I purchased the soft cover edition of this book, but I wish I had purchased the har
This book isn't long. I really enjoyed this book that part science, part worship of God. As a person who loves astronomy, this was perfect. Only sad thing? We have a lot of clouds in the Texas skies right now so I couldn't go out and star at the stars when I was done.
Cody
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who is critical of the bible, and who wants to be reminded of how great God is!
Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe was a really great book. I found it very inspirational, all the facts that leave evolution in the dust!
I read this book as an eBook (the first ebook I think I have ever read) because it was being offered for free on Matt Redman's Facebook Page.
As an eBook I found it hard to read (That explains why I took so long :D).

I would recommend it to anyone who is critical of the bible, and anyone who wants to know or be reminded of
Lillie
Indescribable is a beautiful call to worship the Lord of the Universe. Fantastic photos from the Hubble and other incredible telescopes coupled with facts and figures about the size and amazing details about the stars and other heavenly bodies. But in each short chapter, this magnificence is put into perspective: as indescribable the wonders of God's creation are, there is something even more incredible. The Creator who brought this unbelievable universe into existence also created each and ever ...more
Janelle
Reading this book on my IPod really failed to do it justice, giving me a somewhat limited view of the spectacular photos showcasing the wonders of God's creation in space. Despite this, I enjoyed this book greatly and was tremendously encouraged by the authors' words and by the thought that even though God created such a wondrous and complex universe, He still cares about me.

Robin
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
The heavens declare His glory!

Connecting wonder of creation (namely astronomy) with wonder of God and why it should cause us to worship. Bit repetitive (universe and the sun is big) and shallow on biblical depth, but the one chapter on us being a moon--unable to emit light but can only reflect light of the SON-- is insightful and worth the whole book.
Aaron
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just like the DVD this book was amazing this provides more in depth perspective in God vastness and all he's created. After reading this book I've realized I need to stop making God "small" and see the big picture and the plans he has for my life. I really encourage everyone to read this as it helps our finite minds to be able to get a glimpse of an infinite God who's indeed indescribable.
Jeanie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you need to be reminded of the Majesty of the Lord, this book will bring you there. It is just a scratch but it still lovely and a good place to be. The majesty of the Lord, compells you just as it did King David to be a man after God's own heart.
Melanie
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, non-fiction
A great read. I loved the pictures and content. I learned quite a bit and think this is a great devotional-type book.
Jana
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this quick read with fun facts sprinkled throughout. What a great reminder of how amazing our God is! "The moon is the perfect size to contribute to a habitable Earth. If the moon were larger, it would cause Earth to tilt so far on its axis that the side facing the sun would experience unbearable heat while the opposite side of Earth would know perpetual subzero winter. As it is, the moon is just the right size to cause Earth to tilt at a very acceptable 23.4 degrees, bringing both winte ...more
Honesty
My best praise and worship times are often after I've contemplated the wonder of the Universe. Therefore, this book was very inspiring. However, it only warrants four stars since the black and white photos do little to capture the subject's true splendor. In the back, they advertised a full-color illustrated edition that looks fabulous. Maybe I'll search for that one if I feel like reading this again.
Kimberly
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-widget
Amazing...

Amazing is the handiwork of God! Sometimes we need to be reminded how mighty and powerful He is, but also that despite all of that He knows each of us intimately.

As powerful as the content is, this isn't an overwhelming volume. The chapters are just long enough, but not so long so they can't be read in a single sitting. I would recommend it highly.
Andreia Cabrera
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing way Giglio makes you see how small you are in a universe created by a grand God, and the love her has for us to make us into this world!!! You really get the sense of the grand universe we live in by seeing the creation of different parts of the galaxy and the strong hand of the Creator who made it.
Heidi Pindell
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read, Great pictures.

Interesting read. Matt and Louie present compelling examples and spectacular pictures to help convey the vastness and beauty of God's work. Their passion for the "heavens" is evident throughout.
Heidi
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
It was a quick read. It offered both mind blowing scientific facts and the relating of those facts to the greatness of God and our place in the cosmos. While I might not be able to remember the numerous facts, the wonder will remain with me.
Justin Cohea
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New appreciation for God and His creative power and loving, intelligent design.
Caroline Peters
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
if you want to grow your heart for God’s glory displayed throughout creation, this is your book! quick read, informative, and heart stirring.
Kris Langgaard
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the size references and *attempt* to understand infinity!
Laura Sagor
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love how they gave the gospel and presented God as close and loving throughout the book.
Dustin
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's always good to be reminded how amazing God is and how vast the universe is that shouts His creative glory!
Chris Ehrhart
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate Giglio and Redman's love for space and science and their greater love for God.
Wendy
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of interesting facts, gorgeous pictures, and God.
Andrew Cowell
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
God and Space...my two favorite subjects in one book! I read this through on a flight from Vienna to Toronto. A quick read but has some great points. Do your problems feel small yet?
Leslie Yong
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s a interesting & wonderful book. Full of amazing findings and scientific data that only causes us to reflect on the awesomeness of the Creator God of the Universe.
Keegan
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved the imagery in this book of outer space and connecting that with a God of creativity.
Jan Norton
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could remember half of what the authors wrote, but The Glory of God is in the heavens.
Chelsea
Aug 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
"The statistical probability that organic structures and the most precisely harmonized reactions that typify living organisms would be generated by accident is zero." - Ilya Prigogine, Nobel Laureate in Chemistry, page 180-181

I was lent this book by a good friend of mine to occupy my twelve hour drive to New York this past week. Coincidentally, I didn't actually get to it until the drive home, and during the time we were there my friends and I paid a day-long visit to the American Museum of Natu
Heath Marion
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is an easy read. I had originally picked up this book because my oldest daughter was talking about scientific facts about the universe in school. My intent was to help give another perspective that included God in the conversation. The pictures and the quotes quickly pulled me in and I became curious myself.

Plato says, “Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards.” This is exactly what begins to happen as you read this book. You begin to amazed at how big God must by the shear enormity
Grampy
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Indescribable” by Louie Giglio and Matt Redman is, in a word, indescribable. In this awe-inspiring work, these two men impart incredible facts about the vastness of our universe, and the concomitant awesomeness of the God who created it and us. Uncountable stars make up our galaxy. Uncountable galaxies make up our universe. It is beyond our human ability to comprehend a universe without borders, yet that is where we live. If it DID have borders, we couldn’t conceive of what might lay beyond the ...more
John Jeffcoat iii
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I own a LOT of books that feature photos of astronomical objects as seen through the Hubble Space Telescope, or one of the larger ground-based observatories. As a Christian, I am fascinated with such books, because they demonstrate the awesome extent to which "the heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky shows His handiwork". Pouring over their pages gives one a sense of how amazingly huge and diverse and magnificently beautiful the universe really is.
One thing however, that I find irritat

• Sifted: God's Scandalous Response to Satan's Outrageous Demand
  • The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • Better: How Jesus Satisfies the Search for Meaning
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • God's Love: How the Infinite God Cares for His Children
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Flesh: Bringing the Incarnation Down to Earth
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • The Top Ten Leadership Commandments
  • Saved Without A Doubt: Being Sure of Your Salvation
  • True Religion: Taking Pieces of Heaven to Places of Hell on Earth
“As Paul Hawken keenly observed, Ralph Waldo Emerson once asked what we would do if the stars only came out once every thousand years. No one would sleep that night, of course.… We would be ecstatic, delirious, made rapturous by the glory of God. Instead, the stars come out every night and we watch television.1” 8 likes
“simply by our proximity to Jesus, we can bring hope and life to people and places trapped in discouragement and despair.” 4 likes