Start by marking “Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4)” as Want to Read:
Breath (Riders of the Apocalypse, #4)

Breath

(Riders of the Apocalypse #4)

Contrary to popular belief, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse aren’t just harbingers of doom—they actually keep life in balance. But what happens when their leader and creator, Death, becomes suicidal?

Before the first living thing drew its first gasping breath, he was there. He has watched humanity for millennia. And he has finally decided that humanity is not worth the
Published April 16th 2013 by Graphia

To ask other readers questions about Breath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breath

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera CassRequiem by Lauren Oliver
YA Novels of 2013
1,575 books — 11,051 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareLover at Last by J.R. WardRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead
Can't Wait Books of 2013
2,505 books — 12,282 voters

More lists with this book...

Jackie Kessler
This book was very bittersweet for me to write - the last of a series can be like that. :) This is Death's book, and all the big questions from the Riders of the Apocalypse series are answered in it. BREATH hits the shelves on April 16, 2013! As with RAGE, a portion of proceeds will be donated to the nonprofit organization To Write Love On Her Arms.
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Excellent ending to a fantastic series. Abstract in certain ways but still less so than Loss, which I appreciated. I was also pleased that JMK didn't let Xander get away with the "I'm a nice guy" *douchebag alert* routine near the end. Hold people accountable, y'all.
Liviania
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed the Riders of the Apocalypse story more with each book. Jackie Morse Kessler has brought her series to a fitting, stirring conclusion, albeit one that won't make sense to readers who haven't read the three previous books in the series. BREATH is not only the story of Death, but also the end of the stories of each of the Horsemen.

Death is not like the other Horsemen and never has been. He is older and more powerful and never human. But that doesn't mean he can't become suicidal. An
usagi ☆ミ
4.5/5 stars!

While a little slow to start, "Breath" is a fantastic end to one of my favorite YA quartet/series in the last five years - utterly original and unforgettable. I think I can honestly say that this book is my favorite in the quartet - everything has been building to this book, and boy, was the wait worth it. If you've started your journey with "Hunger", you simply must end it with "Breath".

While a little slow to start with Xander's story grounding us as to how he's important as more t
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm forgoing my usual summary because this is the fourth book in the series and I really think you should read them all in order to understand the amazing world building that has gone into this series. I'm a huge fan of character and setting. If you draw me into one of the two of them, I'm going to finish the book, even if the plot sucks (which this plot does not).

The first three books talk about the stories of each horseman, where this one focuses on Death. Death is an intricate character in ea
Shelley
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Can I give it 10 stars? Please?

So if you were a fan of the first three books, you will be blown away by the final installment of the Riders of the Apocalypse. During all the other books, I desperately wanted to know Death's story and this book was everything I hoped for and more.

This book is a combination of biblical history, mythology, current events, and the history of the four horsemen and Death himself. True to the other books, the story of Death focuses on depression and suicide. These bo
Stephanie
Throughout history, Death has been there. Watching. Waiting. He created the Horsemen and fought with them to keep the world in balance. But lately something has changed, and Death doesn't see any reason to go on any longer. It is time for the end of Death - the end of life as we know it.

Xander is an average kid with everything going for him. So why does the fate of the world rest with him of all people? Why is it his job to keep Death from ending the world? Because Xander has a secret - one that
K.F.
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
By far, BY FAR, the best book in the series.

Longer than the others (probably by dint of necessity), far more twisted, far more complex, far harder to skim over because every single line and plot point is intriguing and strange.

Very much Neverwhere meets I love You, Beth Cooper , but creepier, if that makes sense. And also the Truman Show. The funny thing is, I'm pretty sure Kessler acknowledges both Neil Gaiman and the Truman Show...which is amazing and self aware and basically she's giving
Aurora Dimitre
He arched an eyebrow and looked pointedly at Death's face. "Here we are now - entertain us."

When I first started this series, it was a few years ago. I knew about Nirvana, of course, because I hadn't been living under a rock for my entire life, but when Death was described in Loss, I didn't put much stock into it. It was basically a, "Oh, so like Kurt Cobain type of deal" and I moved on with my life and read the book and you know, whatever.

Fast forward to 2015. I'm in my first year of colleg
Alicia
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jeanette Diaz Michel
Talk about deep, and talk about all that foreshadowing and symbolism. Definitely a satisfying conclusion to the quartet series, and definitely the best out of all four books. And the books seriously just got better, this is the best, the third is better than the first two, and the second is better than the first book. The first book was a solid beginning to the series.

This book has closure and resolution to all the characters. It was good to see all the Horsemen together as well. The one and onl
Eric Juneau
Feb 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
When I got this book, I left the library thinking "how is she going to screw this one up?" This is the last book of the series, dealing with Death, who Kessler has portrayed as Kurt Cobain.

And of course, it's all exposition. Talking, talking, talking. Explaining, more talking, and then existential nonsense which has nothing to do with the protagonist. Nobody wants anything. I'm shouting at the book DO SOMETHING. There's no conflict. The big plot twist for the protagonist, where what he thought
Page (One Book At A Time)
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I think this one was easily the best out of the four. And that's saying something but I really enjoyed this series.
Death is an amazingly complex character. All that he has seen as he has managed death throughout humanities existence. He reminded me a tad of death in "The Book Thief" Humans fascinate him. But, he knows he can't get attached because our life compared to his is but a speck in time.
I found it interesting that he created the 4 horseman and how he did it. Despite all that he has wi
Darcy
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2013
This book was a little different, mostly because as much as the book was about Xander, it was about Death too. I really liked how Xander seemed to be counseling Death and even got him to see things differently. It was too bad that he couldn't listen to his own advice. I was sort of stunned with what was happening with Xander, I knew something was up, but didn't expect that. I was glad that Death was able to turn what Xander said to him, back on Xander. I think that the ending is one that gives e ...more
Abstractelf
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm so sad it's over. I don't want it! I want more books and and I don't know. It's just so sad I had to say goodbye to this series. :(
Though I loved it! It was beautifully written - seriously, I almost sobbed by page 19!
I just want to thank for this amazing series and books, I'm so glad I read it.

OMG, this cover... IT'S PURE EPICNESS! I CAN BARELY WAIT FOR THIS BOOK! *-*
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
My favorite of this series since "Hunger." I liked seeing all four horsemen get together, and thought the end was a very interesting and unexpected twist.

There are a few things that are generally tedious about Kessler's writing (overuse of parentheses) but they are (sentence frags) pretty easy to overlook and go with the flow of the story.
Jenn : Godzilla is King
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This one was also one of my favorites. The author really had me convinced that Death was suicidal. I never thought it was Xander in a coma. I really enjoyed this series and I'm glad I found it. I definitely recommend this series for anyone to read
Em The Reading Challenge Challenge
Amazing. Easily a new favourite and this has potentially become my new favourite series. I loved it. Especially getting to delve into Death's head (since he's been my favourite character throughout).

These were such fun, interesting books that I will definitely be revisiting in time :)
Mary Gerzema
Nov 01, 2017 is currently reading it
In the final book of the Riders of the Apocalypse, Xander is a teen suffering from depression. All the riders work must work together to strive to bring balance to the world and not to give into their problems.
 Bella Marie
Apr 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I expected to be better because death seemed a cool guy and all but unfortunatelly it wasn't. Anyway overall it was a very good book and I recommend it to all.
Jackie
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book felt like both a beginning and an ending. Probably my favorite in the series.
Roxy
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The fourth and final book in the Riders of the Apocalypse quartet focuses on none other than Death himself.

I have to admit that after reading Loss, I wasn't expecting a ton from this last book. I really enjoyed the first two books, just not the third. Surprisingly, the fourth has now become my favorite of all four. There are probably two reasons for this: 1) It's about Death. And 2) We get a lot of stuff we might've wondered about in the previous books finally explained to us.

This book, as you
Shiku
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Die deutsche Rezension findet ihr hier.

4.5
___________________________

Xander Atwood is a teenager like any other else, the usual worries and wishes included: is my crush going to go on a date with me? Will I even dare to ask her? What will I do when I finish school? Add to that a newborn brother and you can imagine that Xander has enough on his mind. Nonetheless, it’s Death himself who is one day suddenly on Xander’s balcony – ready to jump. Without death there won’t be any life, but what can Xan
Bonnie (A Backwards Story)
Check out my interview with Jackie Morse Kessler!

Today's review is hard because I'm talking about not only the final book in a series, but also the most complex. BREATH is on another plane of existence, both figuratively and literally, when compared to its predecessors. In HUNGER, RAGE, and LOSS, we watch the horsemen step into their new roles. In BREATH, we discover just how different the Pale Rider is from his companions. He created them; they wouldn't exist without him. They are him. Death is
Chapter by Chapter
Mar 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved reading the first three books in this series by Jackie Morse Kessler. All three blew me away, and every time I finished one book, I craved to read the next. I feel like I’ve been waiting forever for Breath to come out! I was so excited to read the book that was Death’s story. And omg I was not disappointed at all!

While reading Hunger, Rage, and Loss by Jackie Morse Kessler, I always wanted to know more about Death who looked like Kurt Cobain, who was the front man for Nirvana.
Lindsay
Contrary to popular belief, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse aren't just harbingers of doom, they actually keep life in balance. But that happens when their leader and creator, Death, becomes suicidal? Before the first living thing drew breath, he was there. He has watched humanity for millennia. And he has finally decided that humanity is not worth the price he has paid time and time again. When Death himself gives up on life, a teenager named Xander is the world's only hope. But Xander bear ...more
Caroline Waddell
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing

I received this book back in April before it was published as a giveaway, but this is the fourth and final book in a series, and I wanted to read the first three before I read this one. I am so glad that I did read them all. I absolutely love this series. My favorite was the first in the series, Hunger, and I didn't think I could like any of the others as much as I enjoyed the first. I was wrong. 'Breath' is now officially my favorite in the series.
This book blew me away. Let me first talk abo
Karissa
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book to review through the Amazon Vine program. Thanks to Amazon and Graphia for the chance to review this book. This is the fourth, and final, book in the Riders of the Apocalypse series. I really enjoyed it, especially since it features my favorite rider of the four, Death. This is the book where we learn how the Riders came to be and it is structured quite a bit differently than the previous books in this series.

Before Pestilence, Famine, and War there was Death. Thi
Chibineko
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to really get through this book. I hate to start off my review with that sentence, but it's the truth. This book was very slow to start off and didn't really start picking up until about halfway through. The book isn't all bad, though. I knew that it was likely to be slightly anti-climactic in places because let's face it- this is the culmination of the entire series and the one that we've all been waiting for. It's normal to start having mammoth and unrealistic expectatio ...more
Courtney
Finally! The last book in the Riders of the Apocalypse series, wherein we get to see what things look like from the perspective of Death! We've already met War, Famine and Pestilence and the humans who took up their mantles. Death has been a constant throughout, but we've never really gotten to know him. Guess I didn't see it coming when this book's main crisis is the fact that Death has determined that it is time for it to end. And by "it", I mean "existence". Which is bad, particularly if you ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1A)
  • The Stone Demon (The Iron Witch, #3)
  • The Elementals (The Vespertine, #3)
  • Rogue (Croak, #3)
  • Counting Tens (Fenestra, #4)
  • Pastworld
  • Delusion
  • Afterglow (Wildefire, #3)
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
  • In the Forests of the Night
  • Strong Deaf
  • Temptation (Secret Diaries, #1)
  • The Glass Republic (The Skyscraper Throne, #2)
  • A + E 4ever
  • Circle Nine
  • The Unseen
  • Eternity (The Fury Trilogy, #3)
  • Seed
Jackie Morse Kessler grew up in Brooklyn, NY, with a cranky cat and overflowing shelves filled with dolls and books. Now she’s in Upstate NY with another cranky cat, a loving husband, two sons, and overflowing shelves filled with dragons and books (except when her sons steal her dragons). She has a bachelor’s degree in English and American Literature, and yet she’s never read any Jane Austen (with ...more

Riders of the Apocalypse (4 books)
  • Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse, #1)
  • Rage (Riders of the Apocalypse, #2)
  • Loss (Riders of the Apocalypse, #3)