Start by marking “Discipline Without Shouting Or Spanking” as Want to Read:
Discipline Without Shouting Or Spanking

Discipline Without Shouting Or Spanking

Discipline Without Shouting or Spanking offers effective, practical, nonviolent options for correcting the most common behavior problems of preschoolers. You will learn how to deal with misbehavior including temper tantrums, whining, negativity, sibling rivalry, possessiveness, aggressive behavior, resisting bedtime, playing with food, and many more problems -- without ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Da Capo Press (first published 1984)

Start your review of Discipline Without Shouting Or Spanking
Douglas Cootey
Jun 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
I found this book pretentious and impractical, marred by a prevailing attitude that the major flaw with children is their parents. When the authors weren't interjecting repeatedly their years of academic experience, they offered advice ranging from the stupidly obvious to the theoretical. Unfortunately, most of their advice assumes the child is able to be reasoned with, hinging on your child's ability to sense your efforts to empathize. Lastly, I found the stories of their techniques at work ...more
Kim Porter
Apr 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: pretty much any parent
This is terrible, but it actually took me FOREVER to finish this book! I've used a lot of the advice already, some was a little much for me, like for instance, if they say a bad word, have them sit in time out and say the word over and over again until they get sick of said word. I tried it once, my daughter is going through this thing where she thinks it's funny to say potty words, so she's in the corner for 3 minutes laughing while she's saying "poo poo" over and over. Needless to say, that ...more
Jill
Aug 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! It is educational as far as learning the different thought pocesses of boys and girls--yes, they are different (but you knew that)! It gave me a so many good ideas of how to deal with my three year old twins. Somedays I want to pull my hair out and I wonder how I can ever assist in shaping them to be Men of God beacuse I feel am constantly loosing my patience. This book helped me by giving me more positive options. The authors have also written a book geared to the teen ...more
Susan
Feb 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am always interested in ways to improve my relationship with my grandchildren so I do read a lot of these self-help or how to books for that reason. I came across Discipline without Shouting or Spanking: Practical Solutions to the Most Common Preschool Behavior Problems by Jerry Wyckoff PhD & Barbara C. Unell and figured I would see what they suggest. Truthfully, I wasn't holding a lot of hope for practical solutions because just as the tons of other books I read, they just didn't have ...more
MizzSandie
Read the free chapters in an e-book, and so have not read the entire book (which is why I didnt rate it). Based on what I've read so far, it would probably be a 3 or a 4 star.

When you live with a preescholer you know that the parents are just as much (if not more!) in need of disciplining, as the kids.

I found several useful pointers and inspirering techniques in this book, and I agree with most of what I read and found the structure of the books into different 'issues', and the gradual
Cheryl
Aug 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good reference book, since the sections are divided by the type of problem behavior. However, I didn't find any earth-shattering tips in it that will vastly improve my parenting. The good news is, I'm doing a lot of things right. The bad news is, it's not always working! Conclusion: parenting is tough and there are no perfect solutions and no way to get your young child to consistently behave just how you want them to. *sigh*
Shauna
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting-family
This is the second time I've read this book. I like the format: each problem contains a little theory/background, how to prevent the problem, what to do to confront the problem, and what not to do. Of course, since it's such a small book, some of the solutions are overly simplistic, but the ideas are good. It's geared specifically for dealing with children from 1-4, so the information is specific and practical.

Janelle
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Definitely a great guideline on how to discipline children without spanking or yelling. There are lots of tips and stories to help you learn what to do and not to do in certain situations.
Helen Mary Labao Barrameda
The whole book just feels disconnected to the reality of what you find with your toddler. Too theoretical.
Orlando Lambert
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: owned
I found this book at an American Red Cross. They were giving it away and I was looking for a book on this subject matter, so I picked it up. I read through this book targeting specific issues that I was having. Many of the recommendations do work. I like how the book is organized where you get to understand the reason behind the behavior, how to prevent the issues before they start, how to solve the issues when they happen and examples of how each method works. Wyckoff definitely covered a lot ...more
Frangipani
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, grandparents, prospective parents
Shelves: parenting
I was hoping this book would give strategies for making life easier and smoother! It has some great ideas. Some of them work with my smaller child, but others just had no effect on the elder one! At one stage I found myself eventually shouting in frustration "this politically correct do-gooder parenting stuff SUCKS" as somebody refused point blank to get into the car as we were beginning to run out of time to get somewhere on time. LOL. Still, it's worth reading.
Jamie
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
A nice reference book for specific situations. I liked the layout: it lists the problem, some solutions, and some "what not to do" tips, as well as a (rather cheesy) example situation. It probably would have been more helpful if I wasn't on my third kiddo. I've figured a lot of this out through trial and error, but there were enough new tips and good reminders that I will hang onto this for review.
Nicholas Maulucci
May 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
as much as I tried, I couldn't get anything helpful out of this book. I am skeptical of the effectiveness as nothing was mentioned of the author's children. it seemed to be pure propaganda from either severely abused/neglected children or atheists. I have 10 children-it may be better to ask advice from someone who actually has children. the bible way works and it DOES NOT involve shouting or abusing your children.
Madison
Dec 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
This book was a quick read. It has different behavior problems and suggestions on how to change them. Several of the suggestions were repeated, and some behaviors weren't applicable to me. However, it was nice to identify what I needed to work on and get some ideas on how to help my toddler.

Praise desired behavior
Time Out
Beat the timer
Establish and practice rules
Establish a ritual/schedule
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good quick read with some good, creative ideas. I read it as source material and didn't use it because there was no research based materials in it, but I did use a couple of the ideas from it.

It's not intended to be a full discipline technique manual, but a quick scenario/solution handbook.
Matilda
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
If you are a 1st time parent, or a parent with children under 4 then you will greatly benefit from the teachings and techniques used in this book.

I however was disappointed in the book only because I didn't learn anything new.

I did like however the focus on the positive rather than the negative to change behavior.
May 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the positive discipline approach to child rearing that involves understanding yourself as much as your child. For me, it was a quick read reminder that I need to work in my own frustrations and reactions and remember that my daughter is indeed a little person, new to this world, complete with her own mind and personality.
Margaret
Mar 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new parents
A blessedly short resource for harried parents of young children with many options for discipline, organized by transgression. I have given copies to many new parents over the years and like clockwork two years later they tell me how useful they're finding the book.
Robin
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: at-home
There were a couple things I liked in here, but mostly I felt that they were common-sense responses to common toddler issues. And at times, my only thought was "this is so asinine." I didn't find it all that helpful and I'm not keeping it on my shelf.
Diane
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Might have to purchase this one to reference later on to remind myself of alternatives besides swatting the behind.
Kerri
Jan 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Nice little refresher on how to not be an obviously shitty parent. My best take-away: make clean-up a race. Otherwise pretty basic and predictable.
Wendy
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Common sense with a few good strategies to try
J. 초록열쇠
Jul 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Simple and to the Point.
I like its essence!
Kim
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
have not mastered the technique though... :(
Carmen
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Could be condensed into a helpful tips. Took good ideas and will apply.
Edna
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Some things obvious but always a good reminder.
Kris becker
May 31, 2008 rated it really liked it
I've been having a hard time getting my son in bed. We will see if this solves the problem
Nikki
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Some helpful information.
Santino Maulucci
May 16, 2014 rated it did not like it
a book not worth reading if you want to train your child right. It was full of unbiblical teachings. I would not recommend it.
Ami

• شيفرة بلال
  • Black Milk: On Writing, Motherhood, and the Harem Within
  • How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk
  • كاريزما الأنوثة
  • Parenting with Presence: Practices for Raising Conscious, Confident, Caring Kids
  • Wishes Fulfilled: Mastering the Art of Manifesting
  • Apprendre à aimer (livre +10 cartes postales)
  • معلمي الأعظم
  • The Miracle Morning Companion Planner
  • Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life: How to Unlock Your Full Potential for Success and Achievement
  • قوة عقلك الباطن