Start by marking “Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us” as Want to Read:
Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us

Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us

This fascinating book explains that the gospel is about the restoration of "cracked Eikons" (fallen humans) so that humans can be in union with God and in communion with the saints. In the candid and lucid style that has made McKnight's The Jesus Creed so appealing to thousands of pastors, lay leaders, and everyday people who are searching for a more authentic faith, he ...more
Published November 1st 2005 by Paraclete Press (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Embracing Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embracing Grace

Start your review of Embracing Grace: A Gospel for All of Us
G Stephen
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing

I purchased Scot Mcknight's book, "Embracing Grace - A Gospel for All of Us because I read, "the Jesus Creed" about loving God and loving your neighbor. What does Loving God with all of your strength look like and what does Good News look like to your neighbor?..... "Embracing Grace" gives you some practical glimpses. It also gives some ideas of what the Kingdom of God looks like when we are "embracing grace".

Scot writes with fresh metaphors that allow the Gospel to be seen in new ways. His
Tom
Jun 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008, theology, mcknight
Let me start off by saying that I think McKnight is one of the most brilliant minds I have ever read and part of his brilliance is his ability to take something complex and make it very readable and understandable. He is a professor and scholar which makes this accomplishment all the greater. This book was good, not as good or as impressive as some of his other works but very good nonetheless.

Basically, he states that the Gospel is: the work of God, in the context of a community, to restore
Adam Ross
A good book, and much better than his The Blue Parakeet. It still suffers from the same poor metaphors, but they are few and far between for the most part. There isn't a whole lot of spectacularly new observations here and it felt a lot like a retread of McKnight's other books. Nevertheless, there are some fresh observations, and McKnight's focus on theology as an outward-focused discipline that leads to right action, rather than "something that happened to me once" is very refreshing.

"The
Joel Daniel Harris
Sep 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joel Daniel by: Scot McKnight
Shelves: bible-theo, mdiv
Fantastic re-imaging of the Gospel. McKnight displays a great case for a holistic understanding of Christ's Kingdom that invades every area of our life and reunites us to God, reunites us to his creation, reunites us to others, and reunites us to ourselves. He includes an overview of atonement stories and how they all have something to say for the Christian experience. Generally, he expands the Kingdom to include all of us...no matter how broken or together we may appear, there's space for us in ...more
John Williams
Oct 15, 2007 rated it liked it
Book talks about how the gospel is about a lot more than penal substitution (Jesus dying on the cross for our sins that we may have eternal life). Beginning of book is good but then half way through you wonder where he is going - I think he was just trying to explain more facets of the gospel. I would actually recommend finding his talk on this on the internet and listening to it - in this case you wouldn't need to buy this. Even though the book is only okay, he does make an excellent point.
Ron
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: church
This book discusses our embracing grace and what it means to the gospel. McKnight defines the gospel as:

- It is the work of God, in the context of community, to restore us to union with God and communion for the good of others and the world.

The book stresses the community aspect of this (rightly so) and contends that individualism is the biggest obstacle to the gospel of embracing grace.

The book is short and is a fairly quick read.
Rocky Woolery
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is interested in following Christ more fully.
Very good explanation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the Grace of God.
Jack Kooyman
Aug 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I appreciated McKnight's holistic and comprehensive view of a Big Gospel that goes way beyond a narrow understanding of the Gospel simply for the salvation of the individual soul.
Bo White
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book...I will leave it at that.
Stephen Gordons
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was ok
Underwhelming. This book had a promising title, but the writing was vague, undirected and repetitive. The best parts where were he just quoted other works, like the Book of Common Prayer.
Jonathan P.
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The gospel is bigger then i thought
Laura Holland
Good read on what the Gospel is and how it's lived out in cracked Eikons (God's image) because of God's grace.
Shawna
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I have a bigger understanding of the gospel now.
Kelly
Bob Robinson
Feb 03, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Wild at Heart Revised and Updated: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul
  • Dark Space (Dark Space, #1)
  • Church Membership: How the World Knows Who Represents Jesus
  • The Broken Way: A Daring Path into the Abundant Life
  • The Invisible War (Dark Space, #2)
  • Tender Warrior: God's Intention for a Man
  • The Crucified King: Atonement and Kingdom in Biblical and Systematic Theology
  • Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • Origin (Dark Space, #3)
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
  • Emergence (The Darby Shaw Chronicles #1)
  • Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)
  • On The Christian Life
  • Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • The Kingdom of God: A Baptist Expression of Covenant Theology
  • Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
  • Fool's Fate (Tawny Man, #3)
Scot McKnight is a recognized authority on the New Testament, early Christianity, and the historical Jesus. McKnight, author or editor of forty books, is the Professor of New Testament at Northern Seminary in Lombard, IL. Dr. McKnight has given interviews on radios across the nation, has appeared on television, and is regularly speaks at local churches, conferences, colleges, and seminaries in the ...more

News & Interviews