Start by marking “Hot Gimmick, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Hot Gimmick, Vol. 2

Hot Gimmick, Vol. 2 (Hot Gimmick #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,675 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
When high school girl Hatsumi has to go buy a pregnancy test because her popular sister Akane is 'late,' who does she run into but her creepy bully neighbour Ryoki. And now he's blackmailing her to become his slave! How will mild-mannered Hatsumi get out of this mess? Will Hatsumi's childhood crush (and male model) Azusa be able to save her from Ryoki's clutches? Our heroi ...more
Published December 3rd 2003 by VIZ Media LLC (first published December 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hot Gimmick, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hot Gimmick, Vol. 2

Caitlin
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Kristine Hansen
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Why am I still reading this? Why am I rating it two stars? Seriously...Azusa...? And then to still BE IN LOVE WITH HIM?

No, I'm not hiding my review in spoilers. You need to know Hatsumi is an absolute idiot.
Samantha Bustos-Hubeny
Still creepy-rapey but the other plots are getting more interesting. I remember most of this stuff pretty well.
Ashley
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shojo, manga, romance, own
Reading further into their story, I'm even more sure that Ryoki really likes Hatsumi. The problem is he is absuive because he doesn't yet know his feelings. Instead, he knows that he doesn't want anyone else around Hatsumi, he wants to protect her, but he doesn't know how to do it in any other way than barking orders and grabbing at her.

I've seen in a few reviews that Hatsumi is passive. I don't quite agree with that. Yes, she is hesitant and wishes to be perceived as nice, even if she doesn't r
Sophie
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Hatsumi needs to get a backbone. She's a doormat. She just seems to allow things to happen to her. She's the most naive character I've ever seen, and right now it's mildly irritating how she allows herself to be treated so poorly, and how all of her self-worth stems from comments and gestures by men. She is a feminist's worst nightmare. She just cries all the time and wonders why bad things happen to her, without making any steps to make her situation better.

On top of that, the guy we're meant
Rachel MacNaught
Dec 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
..this is getting entertaining. genuinely enjoyed this volume. the story is developing quicker than i expected. Azuza was right out of left field and i'm entirely uncertain what the hell is going on whilst entertained by the unpredictability.

my biggest issue is i can barely tell the male characters apart. the males literally look exactly the same half the time. without his glasses, Ryouki looks exactly like Azuza, and both of them look like the older brother. i keep getting bloody lost trying to
Stephanie
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: Naomi Smith
Shelves: manga, own, in-translation
Volume 1 was seeming too good to be true -- between Ryoki and Azusa, things seemed relatively cut-and-dry for Hatsumi. But with volume 2, new plot twists are beginning to turn, and it is becoming clear that nothing is as it seemed. I'm curious to see where this is all going!

My little gripe: with the art style, Ryoki seems to be a shape-shifter -- between his face, his hair, his glasses -- he hasn't been able to solidify in my mind yet. Azusa is a bit better -- but just a bit. Only Hatsumi, her f
Rachel
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, own
I read the first volume a while ago, since I found it for a dollar at a used book store, and I enjoyed the humor enough to grab the second volume. Even though the art and the funny parts of the second volume were awesome, there were some not so great parts. The main character Ryoki, is supposed to be the love interest (but it starts off as love/hate thing) but he a total creep, and apparently all of the men in this manga series are creeps, lol. However, I really like the main character, Hatsumi, ...more
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
Wow, that was so much better than I expected. The two plot twists were really exciting and the development of the relationship is starting to be fun. I'm impressed by how the author is able to take very cliche stories/aspects and make them work realistically. I feel very shocked by how much I enjoyed this. I am going to continue on to the next volume immediately.
Mikaela
Jul 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Oh my gawd! I can't believe this son of a b!tch, Azusa. WTF?! I can't believe he's so deceiving. He used Hatsumi fot his revenge. Ugh! I wanna freaking punch him. It's a good thing that Ryouki came along with her and will protect her from Azusa and the other guys. I wonder how will it go in the next chapters..
quinnster
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
These books are so creepy! Why am I reading this!? It's like a bad soap opera that I can't stop watching!

Everyone is evil with ulterior motives and there's this mystery now so I have to keep reading. I just wish that Azusa & Ryoki didn't look exactly the same. It gets confusing.
Emily S.
May 12, 2008 rated it did not like it
Miss Ryoko
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
Oooh.... I can already tell I'm going to be sucked into the drama of this series.

So much drama! How did Aihara-san keep it all straight! ;-) Lol. This should be a bunch of fun! I'm looking forward to the next volume!
Diana Lynn
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Ok, originally it was Ryoki, but now i think Azusa may be the bigger D-bag...this series is so rape-y and creepy but I can't put it down. So much drama and everyone is effed up and has all these secrets. It's addicting for sure. Mindless fun and I'm gonna start the next one now. 6/10.
Katey Lovell
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
This is the kind of series I wish I didn't want to keep reading because it's uncomfortable at times. However something's kept me reading. I wouldn't buy these but the library has them so I'm keeping going for now.
Alessia Crescenzo
Sep 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
Mhh..ancora non ho capito se questo manga mi piace o no.
Samantha
see full review @ Katie's Corner
Sarah Azahar
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I don't know how I should rate this because I've forgotten everything haha idc im still going to rate it.
Julie
Apr 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Julie by: D
Ok, admittedly this is a soap opera, and smut! But it's sooooo addicting! D, I blame you.
Amber
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Girl is attracted to jerks. I think that sums up this book.
Gigi
unimpressive
Miss
Sep 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
i will now modify my review from volume one, to account for azusa's increasing prominence in the narrative.

fuck both these motherfuckers. 1 star
Azusa あずさ Saotome さおとめ
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shojo
Emiri - 2009
Jenni
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Those j*rks! And they are calling themselves models? More like rapists.
Nikki Kelly
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Best shoujo manga EVER. Hands down.
Dana
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it
So the nice guy turns out to be evil and the real love interest is a total rapist. This girl has no good options. She should just give up now.
Ally
Apr 14, 2012
Zahra Lee
Feb 01, 2013
Emily Walton
Feb 10, 2014
  • Hot Gimmick S
  • Mars, Volume 14
  • Hana-Kimi, Vol. 20 (Hana-Kimi, #20)
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 2 (Alice 19th, #2)
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 4
  • Sand Chronicles, Volume 3
  • Othello, Volume 3
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 6
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 4 (Paradise Kiss, #4)
  • Kare First Love, Vol. 7 (Kare First Love, #7)
Miki Aihara (相原実貴 Aihara Miki) is a Japanese female manga artist noted for creating the manga series Hot Gimmick and the series Tokyo Boys & Girls. She debuted with the series Lip Conscious in the manga magazine Betsucomi.
More about Miki Aihara...

Hot Gimmick (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Hot Gimmick, Vol. 1