Start by marking “Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey #5)” as Want to Read:
Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey #5)

Cat To The Dogs (Joe Grey #5)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  671 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
A recent earthquake was only the beginning of the big trouble that plagues Molena Point, California. Joe Grey may be merely a cat, but he's already solved more murders than your average human detective, and he knows the "accident" on Hellhag Hill was anything but. Unfortunately Joe's somewhat erratic, if lovable, owner Clyde thinks cats should keep their paws out of police ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 8th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Cat To The Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat To The Dogs

Sandra
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one introduces the Kit to the world and I wish I had read these in order...but there you go, I didn't think about the time frame around the books. The two great dane mix pups are also introduced and we will see much more of them in successive books. This was a nice read and one I enjoyed. Looking forward to even more from Joe Grey in the future!
Chris Meads
There's been an earthquake at Molina Point and everyone is on edge including Joe and Dulce.

There's been a suspicious accident on Hellhag Hill. Joe knows it wasn't an accident but no one will believe him especially his human. The police want to write it off as it being foggy that night. Joe knows a cut brake line when he sees one but the police don't find anything like that.

Then there are the dogs that follow Joe home--where did they come from. And what of all the people that have gathered at Luc
Dancou-Maryuu
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it a 3.7 if I could. Felt something was lacking compared to previous books.
Gaele
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AudioBook Review:
Stars: Overall: 4 Narration 4 Story 4
I really do enjoy this mystery series where cats are the detectives and never miss a beat to display their very cat-like tendencies even as they perform tasks far better suited to humans. Joe Grey, a large tom is the ringleader who, with his compatriots manages to investigate and bring solutions to the murder mysteries that seem to plague the small coastal town of Molena Point.

Shirley Rousseau Murphy manages to create mysteries that are mo
Jen
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the one that started it all for me, actually, in that this is the first Joe Grey book I picked up. Whoever said not to judge a book by its cover was a person who had never been in a used bookstore; this was absolutely an "oh, that's a fun title" find in a Half Price Books several years ago. I was intrigued by the blurb and only belatedly realized it was part of a series, so I have been tracking down the first parts of that series to get to this.
And, as with all of the Joe Grey mysteries,
Melissa Dally
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
A long time ago, I read (and LOVED) Catswold Portal and so had been sorely disappointed that she didn't write any other cat-related fantasy. I knew she wrote mysteries with cats so I finally picked this one up randomly at the library to see and I did really like it. Joe Grey can talk to humans and has a penchant for solving human mysteries...and ordering food deliveries, LOL.

I have to say the cat parts were the best. I found myself wishing the parts with Lucinda would pass faster so we could ge
Leigh
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun, quick read. I carried it with me on a short, impromptu vacation and it was just right for the mood. A light mystery, without too much gore. I've read the Rita Mae Brown books and The Cat Who series by Lilian Jackson Braun. This one ranks right up with them. The only thing that bothered me was when the cats actually made phone calls to the sheriff with clues. The cat on the wall viewpoint was a more plausible angle, just using the cats to view what the various suspects were doing. ...more
Ally Mackenzie
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After working for the holidays at a book store, I swore to myself this year to read every book I've been curious about, from last year to beyond. I found this book at an outlet book store. It quickly became my weekend book. It's about three cats who solve a murder mystery. Not only did I find the idea original, but the plot has several unique twists and turns as well. I like the idea of cats being able to talk; mine may not solve murder mysteries, but they do have their own way of speaking. Not ...more
Betty
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cats, mystery & paranormal
Like all of the Joe Grey books this one another great read.
Joe witness a car crash on Hellhag Hill. He is looking at the crash when 2 wild pups arrive and he decides to take them home to Clyde. He calls Max that the crash was a MURDER against Clyde's wishes. Joe & Dulcie watch a strange cat ride thence of one of the pups. Kit, Lucinda & Pedric all enter the story. A story of a wandering family who work outside the law is also told with ancient stories of spacesifters & talking cats.
Eyehavenofilter
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cat-mysteries
Yes I love it when animals talk, and there's a crime to be solved. I never deem to tire of it, especially when it is written so cleverly and the humans are so slow to catch up,These books are a happy yet slightly gruesome break from the ordinary animal book, that's why I gravitate to them so much, murder, mayhem, and meows! Wow!
Emily Cullen
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Tomcat Joe Grey witnesses a car accident he realizes it was murder, now he just has to convince the police force to listen to him. Joe and his ladylove, Dulcie, can speak, read and understand English and they are instrumental in helping the Molena Point, CA village in solving mysteries. I'm not into fantasies but I love this series. Helps if you like cats too!
Katherine
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Joe Grey is the sole witness to a car crash and experiences severe frustration in trying to communicate his information to the police; after all, he is only a cat. Still, despite irritated owners and interfering puppies, Joe gets the job done. Tense, tighly written, and keeps the reader guessing along with the feline detective.
Lynn Siler
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
First book I've read by this author but I'll be reading the rest of them. Not great literature but not intellectually insulting and I love the realistic perspective of the talking cats; not a bad mystery, either.
Gerry
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just the light=read I needed!
I've broken my wrist and was having trouble reading anything = plus I can't really concentrate for long periods.
So, this series with the cats who help solve crimes was great.
Pat
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book a lot. I have read quite a few of these books, some that took place before this one and some that took place after this one. It was fun seeing the beginning of Lucinda and Pedric Greenlaw's involvement and also how Kit made her appearance in the stories.
Cathi95
Oct 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
(Mystery - Cat 2000) Joe Grey #5 After an earthquake, there seems to be an upsurge in unusual behaviors, both human and cat. There is ample murder, mystery, and cats, the usual and new, to make this a fun romp.
Loraine
Jan 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A delightful romp with two sentient cats who find themselves in the middle of a mysterious murder. If you like Lillian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who.. books with Qwilleran and his detecting cats you will enjoy Shirley Rousseau Murphy's cat mysteries as well.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
action packed, makes you want to read the next one soon
Erin
Jul 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this one the best, I think, because Kit appears in this one and I really love her.
Kim
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Still good.
Elly Wendy
Fun! Cute! Clever! I liked it.
Regan
Fun read. I really like the little kitten. Probably more so because I adopted a little feral earlier this summer.

Clyde if getting awfully touchy!
April
Don't usually read mysteries, but it was a Christmas gift. Very engaging, but silly. A feline soap opera is much more sophisticated than a human one!
Barbara Dycus
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a cat lover, I like that it was from their point of view. Oh how I wish I could talk to my cats.
Janet
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
neat book. liked the premise of the cats speaking human. very fresh.
Karen GoatKeeper
The first Joe Grey mystery I read I wasn't too sure what I thought. I liked it well enough to try another and another.
This is an earlier one I had somehow missed. It was a very enjoyable book.
Diane Dunham
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable and witty.
Trisha Williams
cute, a must read for those who love cats as much as they love to read.
Kathleen Meacham
The usual hijinx as Joe and sidekicks solve several murders. Some, what I call "woo-woo" components -- in other words weird spirit inferences, and a tad of foul language.
Vicky
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this entire series… the cats who can talk and solve mysteries… what fun… definitely a cozy mystery, but then I love them… nothing I have to concentrate on...
  • Cat in a Topaz Tango (Midnight Louie, #21)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • The Cat, the Professor and the Poison (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #2)
Shirley Rousseau Murphy is the author of over 40 books, including the award-winning Joe Grey cat mystery series and three other novels for adults, the Dragonbards Trilogy and more for young adults, and many books for children. She grew up in southern California, riding and showing the horses her father trained. After attending the San Francisco Art institute she worked as an interior designer, and ...more
More about Shirley Rousseau Murphy...

Joe Grey (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Cat on the Edge (Joe Grey, #1)
  • Cat Under Fire (Joe Grey, #2)
  • Cat Raise the Dead (Joe Grey, #3)
  • Cat in the Dark (Joe Grey, #4)
  • Cat Spitting Mad (Joe Grey, #6)
  • Cat Laughing Last (Joe Grey, #7)
  • Cat Seeing Double (Joe Grey, #8)
  • Cat Fear No Evil (Joe Grey, #9)
  • Cat Cross Their Graves (Joe Grey, #10)
  • Cat Breaking Free (Joe Grey, #11)

“I have continued to come here for that kind of aloneness, so very different from being lonely with someone.” 0 likes