Start by marking “Beneath the Ashes (Jessie Arnold Series #7)” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Ashes (Jessie Arnold Series #7)

Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #7)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  664 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
A plague of arson and murder leaves famed Alaskan "musher" Jessie Arnold racing for survival to uncover the truth about a friend who could be a victim -- or a killer.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published July 25th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Ashes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Ashes

Dianna
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm missing Alex in this one! :( But still loved it!
Ann
Sep 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another page turner , starting with the first chapter!
Jasmine Giacomo
Ooh, Sue Henry knows how to write a sociopath. Sadly, once I'd had that realization after a couple of the character's scenes, it sort of gave a lot of things away. Even the "twist".

I was surprised that Alex Jensen was out of the picture, not having read the last book. I did read book 4, and his name was plastered on the cover. It surprised me that the series continued without him or his name.

I loved Jessie in this book. Her and her dogs. I know next to nothing about mushing, so it was a real t
BCMUnlimited
Jul 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
See the official review: http://www.bookscompletemeunlimited.c...

Jesse, the main character, has broken up with her boyfriend, Alex, and is alone in this book. An old friend of Jesse’s calls her out of the blue and asks for her help. Anne, the friend, has some definite baggage from the past that Jesse is struggling to understand. Jesse regrets ever answering the phone when Anne called.

While Anne is in town, there are several cases of arson. She was accused in the past of starting a fire that kill
Jan C
Jan 08, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
These books aren't especially good writing. But I enjoy the adventure in them. She and her boyfriend have split up in this one and his best friend comes close to picking her up for being a firebug and a murderer. But, as noted elsewhere here, the best parts in these books are about the dogs and the mushing.

I like the antics of the young pups and how Jessie determines whether they would make better pets than members of a mushing team. For isntance, one of them decides it has had enough training
Just as spring arrives in Alaska and Jessie Arnold begins training new sled dog pups, trouble blows into town. First a local pub burns to the ground and a dead man is found inside. Then an old acquaintance arrives asking for help but obviously keeping secrets. Soon Jessie's life is in danger and the woman has disappeared. Now Jessie is being blamed for arson and murder. She doesn't know if she can trust her old friend or what other strangers have told her. The stories conflict and she has a hard ...more
Cat.
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a LOT of mysteries in my life. At this point, I generally have a sense for who is going to end up being the perpetrator of whatever crime is under investigation. This time I was just completely confused. Too many people who couldn't have...but others who had ever reason to...and why all this misdirection...? I may have to read more by this author; I loved hearing about Alaska (Wasilla, before it was "where Sarah Palin is from"!) and dog teams. The arson part was interesting too.
Jamilah
Hmmm, a little more predictable than her usual, I think. Alaska sled-dog racer Jesse solves another mystery. This time she's on her own, as she has split up from her long-time boyfriend. She has a difficult time deciding which of the other characters is trustworthy, but it's somewhat obvious who's causing most of the trouble pretty early-on.
Elaine
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm hooked. I can't seem to get enough of Alaska . Perhaps it is because it is so sweltering hot in Texas that while I am reading about dog sleds and snow, it makes me feel cooler somehow. This book has only Jessie involved as she has slit from Alex. She still seems to get in trouble because of her independent spirit and
basic trust and honesty. Basic traits I admire in woman.
Jim McCulloch
This is an engaging and fun read. Plenty of interesting material about Alaska and how people live. I particularly enjoyed the dog team and "mushing" information. The deepening mystery was fun to think about as Jessie faced more trouble and danger. Kind of a Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys story on steroids.

Karen
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, fiction, mystery
I thought the back cover copy gave a bit too much away about the plot. The author seemed to realize that the heroine's actions in some cases might not seem to make sense to all readers and so there were some explanations made, which I appreciated but did not entirely buy into. I did like the parts about the sled dogs.
Crazy Red-head
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed her descriptions of the glaciers & water & forests. I also enjoyed how she detailed the building of Jessie's new log cabin. I felt I was there with watching it go up. Felt extra bad about the character, Bonnie,& how that was resolved.
Marilyn
It almost was a really liked it. There were a couple of times I wanted to shout at Jessie for not telling the whole story. But, how could the book continue if she did? It is about a young lady musher, her dogs, and how she gets caught in a murder.
Matthew
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Donna
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
In Beneath the Ashes, Sue Henry successfully creates suspense, but with more gimmicks and less character development than usual. The book does what a mystery novel should but, in my opinion, without distinction.
George
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, overdrive
Great adventure. Jessie and her dog team get involved in an arson mystery. Sue Henry knows how to write a sociopath. The characters stood out vividly. The husband, the wife, the arson investigator--all jumped to the fore. I'm hooked on Alaskan Sue Henry and her Jessie Arnold series.
Lisa
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a cheesy murder mystery. I gave this type of book up after college, but it takes place in Alaska, so I got it for my trip. I read it in less than a day and it was entertaining, east read. I liked the parts about dog sledding/mushing, but the end was not tied up very well.
Karren
Oct 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy reading these Alaskan Mysteries, makes me want to visit there one day. Jessie is always getting herself into trouble - in this one her and Alex have split up and she is living alone, her cottage gets burned down and there is an arsonist with a vendetta out there
Jewett
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
I like books abyout dogs but leaving that aside, this is a good mystery.
Niece
Oct 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alaska-series
Alaska Mystery-Jesse Arnold series-Have enjoyed series!
Nicole
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alaska-mystery
Emotional roller coaster of suspicion and mental illness.
Eleni
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just ok- In my opinion there are others who are better alaskan mystery writers.
Sherry Hazen
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one more good read from Sue Henry
Linda
Jan 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, cliffhanger to the end.
Jo Anne
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I pretty much have read this entire series :)
Toesnorth's mom
not great, far-fetched plot
Pat
Jessie Arnold
Connie
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
First of the Jessica Arnold series I have rad. I will read more of them! Mystery set in Alaska. Characters are interesting and the story moves quickly.
Jayne Yenko
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good
Karendianesears
Dec 23, 2014
  • A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Novena for Murder (Sister Mary Helen, #1)
  • The Maltese Goddess (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #2)
  • Bird Brained (Rachel Porter, #3)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)
  • Heart-Shaped Box (Claire Montrose, #3)
  • The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5)
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #4)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)