Start by marking “You On Top: Smart, Sexy Skills Every Woman Needs to Set the World on Fire” as Want to Read:
You On Top: Smart, Sexy Skills Every Woman Needs to Set the World on Fire

You On Top: Smart, Sexy Skills Every Woman Needs to Set the World on Fire

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In her eight years as editor-in-chief of the women's bible, Cosmopolitan, Kate White has learned a lot about what women want. From landing a great job to enjoying great sex, White presents 86 enticing lessons on having it all--complete with anecdotes and tips from her own life and the celebrities and experts she's met. Whether it's when to act like a bitch and when not to, ...more
Published June 12th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about You On Top, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You On Top

Janine Southard
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
I adored this book by the Editor in Chief of Cosmo.

It's divided into very short (1-3) page "chapters" which give pieces of advice on life. You might think, Cosmo being a hotbed of fashion and sex tips, that these would all be sex or fashion related.

But no! Most of the book is about attitude for success. Kind of like when you read the Sex and... "manuals" of Helen Gurley Brown.

Oh, there is definitely a section on makeup (I may have finally learned "smoky eyes") and a few chapters on sex (with sta
Rachel Bird
Jul 18, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm a sucker for the bargain bin at Barnes and Noble. Thankfully I have a limit of three books per trip. This one managed to make it in my stack.

Kate White is the editor of Cosmopolitan magazine as well as a successful mystery writer. She condenses the best material she's gleaned from her years at Cosmo and shares it in this book.

It's helpful. Not as helpful as stuff the Dalai Lama might say but it's not bad. I'm kind of tired of thinking about how to please a man, though.

General consensus: Empo
Karly Grice
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh. Kind of a 1.5 really. Maybe valuable to late high school/early college girls, but I think many of the pieces of advice are either a. a bit shallow or b. a bit obvious for anyone older than that. My biggest qualms with it:
1. A rather simplified and essentializing view of men and women (all men are x, all women are y, men are bad at this so sorry ladies but you'll have to do it!). I give men a bit more credit than that (and don't assume women are inherently amazing at everything.
2. Kind of
Victoria Pond
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I adored this book by the Editor in Chief of Cosmo.

Megan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf
I liked this self-help book which touches all the different areas of a young 20s life. It's an easy read and it was perfect for me, someone who is in the middle of a job search and not really having a lot of experience under my belt. So reading those little tips about work and life were my favorite parts of the book. It helped me figure out the more ways I can improve myself at work. I also really like how the author includes her personal stories to the lessons she points out. I'm a person who r ...more
Nikki
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone of my girlfriends
i love this book.. it was funny and had alot of interesting facts. i learned so many things and took plenty of advise especially for my boyfreind.. haha..if your feeling down and under this book defintely makes you feel good about yourself
Journeywoman
May 25, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Women
Excellent advice, both on the sex (which I expected from cosmo's editor) and on life.

Josie
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Affirming and practical
Bernadette
May 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Not really a book for a 27 year old... but it was relevant when I started it when I was 24
Stacey P.
Jul 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Just finishing this up. A great summer ready by the editor-in-chief of Cosmo. A quick read and some of the tips are great, some are things we've all heard before but it's still is entertaining.
Melissa
Dec 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
I expected this to be a business book, but it really wasn't. It felt like I was just reading an extended version of cosmo articles. I didn't really learn anything new.
Victoria H.
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Whoever green-lighted this to be printed in sans serif needs a good fanny kickin!
Cathy Cole
Sep 05, 2015
Christina
May 14, 2013
Hira
rated it did not like it
Dec 24, 2013
  • Daily Zen Doodles: 365 Tangle Creations for Inspiration, Relaxation and Joy
  • Modern Manners: Tools to Take You to the Top
  • The Best Year of Your Life: Dream It, Plan It, Live It
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Series)
  • Cupcakes and Cashmere: A Guide for Defining Your Style, Reinventing Your Space, and Entertaining with Ease
  • Choose the Life You Want: The Way to Lasting Happiness Moment by Moment
  • Your Best Life Begins Each Morning: Devotions to Start Every New Day of the Year
Kate White is the New York Times bestselling author of nine works of fiction: six Bailey Weggins mysteries and five psychological thrillers, including the most recent, The Wrong Man, and the upcoming The Secrets You Keep (March ‘17). For fourteen years she was the editor-in-chief of Cosmopolitan magazine, and though she loved the job (and the Cosmo beauty closet!), she decided to leave in late 201 ...more
More about Kate White...