Start by marking “Harry by the Sea” as Want to Read:
Harry by the Sea

Harry by the Sea

(Harry the Dog)

A classic picture book featuring the beloved Harry the Dirty Dog!

When Harry goes on a visit to the beach, he is mistaken for a sea creature when a big wave covers him with seaweed. Harry also has to hunt for his family beneath all the similar beach umbrellas. Children will relate to Harry's funny misadventures.

This is an irresistible story featuring a classic picture book
Published October 26th 1976 by HarperCollins (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Harry by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry by the Sea

Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another story with the adorable Harry and his day at the beach. Small adventures await everywhere.
Nancy Kotkin
Harry, the white dog with black spots, is back in another picture book. As this title implies, Harry and his family take a trip to the seashore. Covered in seaweed, Harry is mistaken for a sea monster. A fun read but not quite the caliber of the other Harry books by this author/illustrator duo.
Becky
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
First sentence: Harry was a white dog with black spots who liked everything about the seashore, except...the hot sun.

Premise/plot: Harry gets too hot at the beach, and, while looking for some shade, accidentally gets swept out to sea. The good news is he makes it back to shore. The bad news? He's covered in seaweed and EVERYONE mistakes him for a sea monster. Can this misunderstanding be cleared up before he's captured? Will he be reunited with his family?

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one. I'd re
Teresa
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is part of the Better World Books 2016 Reading Challenge. It fulfills the book published in the year I was born. It's a fun book that my children used to love reading. I still had it in my bookshelves from years ago.
A sweet dog goes with his family to the beach for a day and gets lost and covered in seaweed while hunting shade. The antics lead to being called "a bushy-backed sea slug", which I think is so funny.
It's a cute book for 1st and 2nd graders or younger.

*2016 BWB challenge- publ
Christy
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A classic picture book featuring the beloved Harry the Dirty Dog!

This is an irresistible story featuring a classic picture book character, especially perfect for young dog lovers and fans of Harry the Dirty Dog.

For more fun with Harry the Dirty Dog, don
Isobel
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The story teaches children about getting lost and what they should do if they are lost. The story tells the children that they should look out for the people they are lost and not get distracted like harry the dog.

I would recommend this story as a bed time reader because the adult can help the child to understand the importance of what they should do when they are lost. The main character Harry can be used an example for children on what they should not to when they are lost, the adult can sue
Charity Yost Reed
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
In typical Harry fashion, something or someone goes missing and must be found. It's a nice, subtle way to introduce children to the concept of loss and again, simple illustrations are extremely effective.
Krissy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A cute beach read about a dog. Can’t ask for much more than that! I felt so bad for Harry in the beginning; I would have gladly made room for him under my umbrella. My heart always breaks a little when I hear someone tell a dog to “get lost”, but I love a happy ending.
Amanda
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I love harry, he's a classic. The story is cute, though some might find one part offensive (when Harry tries to stay cool by walking behind a fat lady in her shadow).
Lara Lleverino
Cute children’s story of mistaken identity
AD
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
A great story about the adventures of Harry the dog (or is that, seamonster?) with his family at the beach. An enduring classic that kids will laugh at and enjoy.
Lori
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
An oldie but goodie
Patti
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great addition to a beach / summer storytime. Recommended for prek-2nd.
Dana
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This story is dated and lacks multiracial representation, so it’s a bit hard to read to my wee ones in current day.
Lynn  Davidson
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about Harry the dog who went to the beach with the family on a very hot day, and got mistaken as a sea monster when a huge wave washes over him. Enjoyable illustrations.
Alison Whiteman
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's interesting to re-read books I read as a child. I found the copy from 1965 in a shop this weekend.
Yolanda Smith
Harry is adorable, and his adventures are laughable. We enjoy this classic tale.
Erin
Harry went with his family to the beach. It was a very hot day.Everywhere Harry went to cool off, he was told to leave. Eventually he went swimming in the ocean. He got covered with seaweed. When he got out of the water, everyone thought he was a sea creature! Crowds of people were shouting and running. Harry was just trying to find his family. Harry thought he heard his name being called so he ran towards the sound. The hot dog man was saying, "Hurry!", but since his ears were full of water, Ha ...more
Tori
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Harry and his family go to the beach but when he wanders off to find a way to keep cool, he gets lost. Covered in seaweed and mistaken for a sea monster, Harry goes looking for his family, having misadventures on the way.
This one's a bit long for storytime, but I think children will enjoy the sight of Harry covered in seaweed. A cute pick for beach themes.
Edited after storytime: While this one WAS long, and I definitely could have skipped some bits in the middle if I'd planned it better, this wo
Luisa Knight
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story wasn't what I was expecting - it wasn't your typical beach visit. Fun and quite entertaining!

Ages: 3 - 7

Cleanliness: someone says "holy smoke." There are pictures of people in trunks and bathing suits, a few of the ladies are wearing two-pieces though they aren't forefront in the pictures.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also
Dolly
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Harry visits the seashore with his family and becomes a seaweed monster. This is a funny tale in the series of books about Harry by Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham. The illustrations are humorous and the story is timeless (even the swimsuits are back in style!) We really enjoyed reading this story together. It's a nice tale for the end of summer.
Rosa Cline
Mar 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: summer, kids
Harry the Dog books are lovable wonderful books that children would enjoy being read to or read themselves. The illustrations are basic pastel colors but draws you into them so even without able to read the words a child would LOVE sitting and looking at the pictures.

In this one the family go to the beach, Harry gets hot and can't find a place to cool down until the waves get on him and cover him in seaweed. Everyone thinks he's a sea creature. But in the end his family finds him once again. Sup
Jared White
Jan 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I grew up with Harry the Dirty Dog but I don't think I was ever read this one, it was still a pleasure to come across as I was shelving books in the library. The pictures aren't spectacular but they're homey and Harry is as unintentionally mischievous as ever. Poor Harry loves everything about the beach but the hot sun and that's the one thing he can't seem to escape. He has a series of misadventures while be trying to beat the heat. This has quite a bit of text compared to a lot of modern pictu ...more
Jody
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
The next installment (for us) of the adventures of Harry. I liked it, but I'm not particularly enthralled by him. There's something a little clunky about the writing in this one in particular - it doesn't flow as well as I found Harry the Dirty Dog did. My daughter on the other hand, is a huge fan, and loved it.
Mloy
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a super cute, simple story; perfect for a bedtime story to read together with a little one who is a novice reader (like my 6-year old nephew). Although an adorable tale, it does start off a little harsh in the beginning because all the people seemed to be unnecessarily hostile towards the little dog, but like most children's books, the offenders redeem themselves in the end and everyone lives happily ever after.
Emmanuel Trevino
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great story about a curious puppy who finds himself in different problematic events. This story is great for sequencing. I would not recommend these book for under second grade, unless the teacher is reading the story to the class and can stop and explain some of the inferences needed to comprehend the story. I would use this book in the classroom for inferencing, sequencing, and/or main idea.
Alison
This is my favorite book in the Harry the Dirty Dog series. Harry gets separated from his family at the beach and after being swept up in a wave comes out of the ocean covered in seaweed and looking like a sea monster, which leads to lots of confusion and panic on the beach.

The only problem with reading this to the class that came to the library to visit was most of the kids had read it already.
Samma
Sep 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
In retrospect, I guess I DID know that there were other books to the Harry books after "...Dirty Dog". I remembered reading No Roses as soon as I opened it, but By the Sea was a whole new adventure. The illustrations are great even after nearly 55 years! WOW! Even though this series has been through many generations of readers, it is still a winner!
Libby
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
We have read Harry the Dirty Dog so many times in the last 6 months, and it finally occurred to me to look for other Harry books at the library (having vaguely remembered reading more than one as a kid). We found this one and it was a hit. When I read it, the story came back to me, so I must have enjoyed this as a child, too. The pictures of Harry as a "sea monster" are really funny.
Jeff Bottrell
Apr 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was a childhood favorite and one my father read quite often at bedtime. I remember always feeling enormously worried about Harry losing his family, even after having read the story a dozen times. A subconscious awareness of hot dog salesmen as villainous mockers explains my conversion to vegetarianism at the age of 15.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Maisy Goes on Vacation: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Angus and the Cat
  • What Do You Do, Dear?
  • We Were Tired of Living in a House
  • The Seashore Book
  • An Extraordinary Egg
  • Always in Trouble
  • Don't Forget the Bacon!
  • Dandelion
  • There Might Be Lobsters
  • Are You A Horse?
  • Anno's Counting Book
  • Bunny's Noisy Book
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG ...more

Harry the Dog (4 books)