Start by marking “College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step by Step” as Want to Read:
College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step by Step

College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step by Step

College Admission is the ultimate user's manual and go-to guide for any student or family approaching the college application process.

Featuring the wise counsel of more than 70 deans of admission, no other guide has such thorough, expert, compassionate, and professional advice.

Let’s be honest: applying to college can be stressful for students and parents. But here’
Paperback, Now Completely Revised and Updated as of September 2014, 432 pages
Published August 16th 2014 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about College Admission, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about College Admission

Start your review of College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step by Step
Avery
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I normally do not write reviews but this book was incredible and the perfect book for any college-bound teen and their parents. I started reading it a few days ago and I felt that I was getting an honest account of the admissions process and what it really means to find and get into a good university. As rising senior, I have constantly heard that it is about the name and SAT scores are the end all be all. This guide made me realize that the admissions progress is about me and that applying to c ...more
Maddie
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book during my junior year and had an abundance of anxiety regarding the college search and application process. This book was so helpful in being informative while relieving my anxiety. It turned the process from scary and intimidating to a more relaxed process. I would recommend for anyone facing the college admissions process with more than a healthy dose of fear.
David Quinn
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent resource for those looking for guidance on how to prepare for the college application process through deciding which offer to accept.

Lots of helpful pointers and practical advice for students throughout the various grades in high school.

Worth reading sooner rather than later.
Granny
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a Senior Citizen I am impressed. I won this book through Goodreads, and in looking through the book, I find it to be a very informative as to what do to and how to go about it, to get into college. I might even try and go back myself soon. Thanks for a great book. Thanks for letting me review it also. I really am serious about trying to go back myself. This will help.
Natalia
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: college-prep
I loved this book! So useful and written in easily digestible format. I think this is the book that every college bound student has to read when they prepare their college applications.
Maria
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone going to college, 9th grade and up
Shelves: adulthood, in-2013
Yay for the first 5 star [serious] book of the year!

Mom borrowed this book from the library, and it was my job to read it. The great thing about this book is that it told me exactly what I needed to do, how to do it, and with some, when to do it. It has tips for homeschoolers, which are wonderful for me (since I need them). Knowing what I have to do, and being able to read it in book form, definitely calmed me down.

if you get only one book on colleges, get this one. The great thing about it is t
E. Mary
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The BEST of the current college admission guides... and I've read them all.
Measured, meat-and-potatoes advice; the only guide that leads you
section-by-section through the unique circle of hell that is the Common
Application.
Stephanie Bressler-sloim
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. My daughter will be going to college soon and this book was very informative!! I learned a lot about getting recommendations, applying to specific colleges and about what colleges look for in a potential student. A very good read!!!
Wendy
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Super concise and well written book on getting through the college process...
Jolanta
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a parent who never went through the regular American college admission process I realize there is a lot I don't know about this stressful process, and in my question to learn more I found College Admission: From Application to Acceptance, Step by Step, by Robin Mamlet and Christine Vandevelde extremely helpful. I also found very interesting the authors' advice to avoid books "hawking application essays that 'worked'" and instead reading some good general first-person essays - just about the o ...more
Jerry Li
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Transparent, informative, credible.
Denept
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great details and advice to help motivate your child in completing the college application process
Andrew
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
College Admission is a thorough, must read for seniors applying to college. It covers every topic you need to know about applying for college, such as course work, the academic record, extracurricular activities, test scores, essays, counselors, recommendation letters, and more. This highly informative guide also dispels myths from reality, alleviating any fears you might have due to the rumors from the media. One of the most useful components of this book is that it provides a unique viewpoint ...more
Suzanne
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Got this book from the library for my daughter. She read a few chapters and said it was more a book for me than for her. I started reading it and found that it was actually a good book for both of us, though it is true that the first few chapters are more parent-focused. Alas, I had to return it before I finished the book, but I plan on taking it out again or buying a copy since I think this is filled with a wealth of information in an easily digestible format.
Wendy
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Getting my kids ready for adulthood...
Colette
Aug 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Very helpful to high school students planing on applying to college. However, it is a bit out of date regarding the Common App.
Vandry
Jul 15, 2014
Jodi Tharan
Jan 14, 2014
Caleb Withey
rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2019
Beth
Sep 09, 2013
Penny Linsenmayer
Jul 04, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What is a college admission essay? 1 1 May 21, 2019 03:18AM

• The Guilty (Will Robie, #4)
  • How to Write a Winning Scholarship Essay: 30 Essays That Won Over $3 Million in Scholarships
  • A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6)
  • The Assassin (Isaac Bell, #8)
  • Wait, What?: And Life's Other Essential Questions
  • Managing by Values: How to Put Your Values Into Action for Extraordinary Results
  • The Truth about College Admission: A Family Guide to Getting in and Staying Together
  • The Water Witch (Fairwick Chronicles, #2)
  • The Authenticity Project
  • Disrupting Thinking: Why How We Read Matters
  • Grammar Workbook: Grammar Grades 7-8
  • Scottish Rite Masonry, Volume 2
  • 9 Rules of Engagement: A Military Brat’s Guide to Life and Success
  • The English Grammar Workbook for Grades 6, 7, and 8: 125+ Simple Exercises to Improve Grammar, Punctuation, and Word Usage

Articles featuring this book

Across the U.S., many high-school seniors are entering the nail-biting period of waiting for college admissions decisions. While the die has been...