Start by marking “Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level” as Want to Read:
Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level

Mindhacker: 60 Tips, Tricks, and Games to Take Your Mind to the Next Level

Compelling tips and tricks to improve your mental skills

Don't you wish you were just a little smarter? Ron and Marty Hale-Evans can help with a vast array of witty, practical techniques that tune your brain to peak performance. Founded in current research, Mindhacker features 60 tips, tricks, and games to develop your mental potential. This accessible compilation helps imp

Published September 6th 2011 by Wiley (first published July 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mindhacker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindhacker

☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
A really good one-off guide to mindworks. The personal favs here would be: the 'Woo the Muse of the Odd' hack (welcoming weirdness), 'Knock Off Work' (for structured procrastination)

Q:
Chapter 1: Memory
Hack 1: Remember to Remember
Hack 2: Build a Memory Dungeon
Hack 3: Mix Up Your Facts
Hack 4: Space Your Repetitions
Hack 5: Recall Long-Ago Events (good)
Chapter 2: Learning
Hack 6: Establish Your Canon
Hack 7: Write in Your Books
Hack 8: Read at Speed (superb!)
Hack 9: Learn by Teaching (good)
Hack 10:
Josh Street
Jul 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
Much weaker than the previous effort (which I enjoyed tremendously), this work just falls short. The writing is very uneven across many of the hacks, there are several areas where pseudoscience and inconclusive evidence is presented as fact and a mind-numbing level of repetition that seems reinforced by the structure used for the hacks. I had high hopes for this work (it was on my wish list for months prior to publication), but I'm afraid it just didn't deliver on those expectations.
Andrew Schlachter
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mindhacker, by Ron and Marty Hale-Evans, is an excellent collection of techniques to improve thinking in everyday moments. It begins with an introduction that provides an outline of what the book is, and what it is not. I found this to be an invaluable inclusion because it both helped me use the book more effectively, and it also gave me an idea of what was where. The book is divided into 9 sections, titled "Memory," "Learning," "Information Processing," "Time Management," "Creativity and Produc ...more
Symmonz
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Meh. I was excited about this one, but most of the "hacks" just ended up being either stuff I already do, stuff that I wouldn't do (like write in my books, are you crazy?! lol), or common sense stuff. I learned maybe one or two things that I'll actually use, but otherwise... meh.
Laura Lee
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Read this quickly and enjoyed it. One of the many books I'm going through for research purposes for my next book. It has lots of good suggestions for ways to keep learning as a grown up person out of school. Some of the "tricks" were novel and exciting but it is a mixed bag. Of course, the tricks that appealed to me might be quite different than those that appeal to someone else.
Hadrian
A neat little collection of thought experiments, reminders, and mind games to play to improve your memory, understanding of basic mathematics, logic, etc. Live a more mindful existence.

Your results may vary, though. I was surprised to discover that I've already done most of these. It's still a nice book to have around and dip into when you feel inspired enough.
BeyondDL
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: the-big-list
As with many self help books, "Mindhacker" is a bold attempt to deliver in one text the material a person needs to change their lives. How often do you hear of a self help book claiming to enable the reader to move to the next level of mental capability? Mindhacker was an ordinary read. Although the book did have some good ideas, the ideas alone do not make a cohesive body of work.
Elise
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. Lots of tips for getting organized, improving intelligence, putting your life in order, etc. It also includes plenty of interesting and obscure information - I learned a lot from it.

This book is especially good for geeks and computer programmers.
Adam Wolf
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this. I have been a fan of Ron's for years and years, and although I bought this when it came out, I realized this week I hadn't actually read it!

I really enjoyed the 4D visualization chapter, and the semantic break chapter.
Hari Rao
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a good, useful book, but don't try to read it all straight through, as it's a bit uneven. Read the parts that are useful to you. I read it in pieces in between other books.

Also, check out the author's first book, "Mind Performance Hacks."
Steve Carroll
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great read full of idea on how to think differently. You definitely won't use all 60 hacks, but I bet at least one of them will end up striking a chord. Since it is broken into 60 discrete chunks it is the perfect book for reading on your phone in a stolen moments.
Charles
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book arrived yesterday and I have started dipping in and exploring.
Humberto
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
good read, good ideas, read it at several intervals and not completely.
Tasshin Fogleman
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Read a draft of this book. The guy who wrote the hacks about SRS and Dual N-Back is brilliant ;)
Kevin Shea
Jan 07, 2013
Ddboi
Jan 25, 2015
Simon
rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2015
  • Lifehacker: The Guide to Working Smarter, Faster, and Better
  • Mind Hacks: Tips & Tricks for Using Your Brain
  • Awkward: A Survival Guide for When All You Can Do Is Cringe
  • Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life
  • Discover Your Genius: How to Think Like History's Ten Most Revolutionary Minds
  • Superhuman Social Skills: A Guide to Being Likeable, Winning Friends, and Building Your Social Circle
  • The Art of Aging: A Doctor's Prescription for Well-Being
  • Photoreading
  • The Measure of Madness: Inside the Disturbed and Disturbing Criminal Mind
  • Iconoclast: A Neuroscientist Reveals  How to Think Differently
  • Mate: Become the Man Women Want
  • Being Logical: A Guide to Good Thinking
  • Magnificent Mind at Any Age: Natural Ways to Unleash Your Brain's Maximum Potential
  • Great Books of the Western World
  • Urban Shaman
  • Positive Intelligence: Why Only 20% of Teams and Individuals Achieve Their True Potential and How You Can Achieve Yours
  • Your Memory: How It Works and How to Improve It
  • You Can Have an Amazing Memory: Learn Life-Changing Techniques and Tips from the Memory Maestro

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »