Start by marking “The Great House of God” as Want to Read:
The Great House of God

The Great House of God

God's greatest desire is to be your dwelling place - the home for your heart. He doesn't want to be merely a weekend getaway. He has no interest in being a Sunday bungalow or even a summer cottage.
Published August 19th 1997 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 30th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Great House of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great House of God

Jerry
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent look at the Lord's Prayer. The chapter about getting even really spoke to me, and inspired me to make some serious changes in my way of thinking.
Kathy
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
My husband and our friend love this book. I think it depends on where we are in our spiritual walk. I think some days it might feed me and others, I'm left dry. Well laid out and good use of the Lord's prayer to walk us through God's house.
Gerri
Excellent book...taking the Lord's prayer and breaking it down in segments. Max Lucado takes the reader on a journey of how we are to live daily in God's great house. You will be blessed!
Jarm Boccio
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to “My Heart, Christ’s Home,” Lucado takes us through the rooms of our heart, one by one, showing us how God meets us there in a unique way. This was my “Sunday reading” book, great for meditation and contemplation!
Brooke Abbott
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
Sally DiStefano
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1997
When I realized that this book takes The Lord's Prayer and uses it as a floor plan of the House of God, I remembered hearing a similar sermon many years ago. Since the publishing date is 1997, perhaps my pastor used Lucado's book as a guide for that sermon. Good idea, I say!

Max Lucado takes an in-depth look into the most famous prayer. He breaks down The Lord's Prayer by words and phrases. He entertains with scripture and personal anecdotes which reminds the reader of the greatness of God.

Includ
A.
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The imagination of God's grace is presented beautifully and romantically by Lucado, via analysis of the "Our Father..." I had never imagined such beauty and such a visualization of the heart of God.
Read it three times.
The Gerat House of God, of course is the best place for our heart to dwell :D
Frank Sloan
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great work

Max Lucado is just about my Super Hero of Christian-living authors and ministers. Never has one of his books or of his teachings been a disappointment to me.
Edb
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book that takes the Lord's prayer as a blueprint for a house and walks through each phrase of the prayer as a different room/part of a house.
Kim
A very informative and accessible look at the Lord's Prayer. I think that as I repeat this prayer in the future, I will be more fully engaged and appreciative of each line.
Dayva
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers
Shelves: non-fiction
Our mansions in heaven, room by room.
Sarah Kate
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did a Bible study on this one. Really great.
Lisa
This book had a lot of good stories that went with scripture that I could use for Sunday School for children. Such as Psalm 37:23-goes with a story that we hold onto God’s hand because we might stumble on the ice but will not fall. We place our small hand in his large one and say, “Abba, keep me from evil”
L8blmr
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Lucado's writing style and this book was no exception. Based on the Lord's Prayer, the imagery used to take you to a different room in God's House for every line was very effective. I won't think of the Lord's Prayer the same way again; it has taken on new life and I'm thankful to have it fresh in my mind.
Kelly
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book takes the reader through the various parts of the Lord’s Prayer giving examples of how to pray during each part of the prayer as well as fleshing out characteristics of God which can be found in each line or even word of the prayer. The simple writing style, vocabulary, and content left much to be added to this book.
Valerie
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Bible Study comparing the Lord’s Prayer to God’s great house. Went along well with some other books I am reading right now as we prepare to head into the Lenten season. If you have not read, I suggest you do.
A.K. Klemm
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A helpful and simple way to study The Lord's Prayer. This book has helped me answer some questions my six year old has had about prayer and God.
Terry Murphy
A lovely, slow trip through the Lord's prayer. As each phrase is examined, Lucado shows how God hides us safely in His heart, providing for our every need.
Laurel Hicks
Max brings the Lord’s Prayer to life.
Kara
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review
I’m so blessed to have the opportunity to review Max Lucado books, this one is yet another winner by my favorite nonfiction author! Like many Christians, I have the Lord’s Prayer memorized but Lucado’s book opened my eyes to even more ways to consider this prayer in my walk with Christ. He starts out with a simple description of a home inspection of our spiritual home-thoughts and truths and convictions and hopes. God’s house=God’s presence. Some of the first scriptures Lucado uses are
Becky
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a devotional book about The Lord’s Prayer. This is the much loved prayer taught by Jesus. However, the saying of The Lord’s Prayer may start to be said by rote, with not much thinking done about the words being recited. This book wants you to slow down, think about the words, understand who God is, and how He wants to bless us. The prayer is examined line-by-line, and a chapter is devoted to each line to look in-depth at the meaning.

The author is a talented writer who communicates his id
Mary Lou
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The house analogy doesn't always work, but Lucado still has some good points.
Marilyn Magallanes
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I have asked one thing from the LORD. This is what I want: Let me live in the LORD’s house all the days of my life. ~Psalm 27:4

Did you know that God has built a House for your soul – a home for your heart? Just as you have a physical house to shelter your body, God has provided a Spiritual home to shelter your heart and house your soul.

The Lord’s Prayer sets this expansive floor plan in “The Great House of God,” while author Max Lucado takes you on a captivating room by room tour through the gra
Alisa
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. Comparing our relationship with God to a house that He has was a very concrete visual for me. I have always enjoyed Max Lucado books because in many ways he reminds me of C.S. Lewis. I appreciated many of his examples of how our Father loves us no matter what in His living room. The kitchen is a place where we can ask God to provide for us “just for today”. One of my favorite examples is how his daughter gave a pretzel to someone that had done something annoyi ...more
Mary-ann
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The back cover reads, “God’s greatest desire is to be your dwelling place – The Home For Your Heart. He doesn't want to be merely a weekend getaway. He has no interest in being a Sunday bungalow or even a summer cottage. He wants to be your mailing address, your point of reference, your home…always. He wants you to live in the Great House of God.”
Mr. Lucado starts with the fact that we are adopted by God, he is our adoptive father, and will not abandon us whatsoever. Then in Chapter 3 we move on
David Campton
I bought and read this book years ago when it first came out, at a time when I was devouring most of Max Lucado's books, and, if truth be told, cannibalising many of them for striking sermon illustrations. However, this one disappointed me somewhat as I felt it wasn't as fresh as some of his other books, and that the extended metaphor he used of the Lord's Prayer being "The Great House of God" was over-extended. Partially as a result this was the last of his books that I bought and read. Having ...more
Nikki
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing. I usually enjoy books by Max Lucado and get a lot out of them but this one was even better than usual. It was really relatable to my life and gave great examples of everything that was discussed. It was very inspirational and I have been trying to use the things discussed in this book for my life and in my prayers. It has changed the way I pray and I'm working on using it to change the way I think. It was absolutely amazing and I could definitely hear God's words through t ...more
Lisa Lunney-Boyd
I received a review copy from BookSneeze, and I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It was a light, but compelling read. It provided a very informative and accessible look at the Lord’s Prayer. The Prayer is broken down, and verses are explored as different rooms. It is a very unique way of exploring faith. By putting a story to every verse, the reader has a better understanding of everything this prayer encompasses.

A good read to recommend to those who are feeling lost, and searching to r
Sue
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Taking the floor plan of a house, Lucado relates it to the Lord's Prayer - from worship to provision for needs and back to worship. Each phrase of the prayer is related to a different room in the house.
Typical of his writing using anecdotes and stories on himself, this is a light and easy read with enough to think about to keep you engaged.
  • The Body
  • Fresh Power: Experiencing the Vast Resources of the Spirit of God
  • Finding God
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Falling in Love with Jesus: Abandoning Yourself to the Greatest Romance of Your Life
  • Your Own Jesus: A God Insistent on Making It Personal
  • Voices of the Faithful
  • Unfinished: Believing Is Only the Beginning
  • Balancing the Christian Life
  • Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https:/