Start by marking “The Great House of God” as Want to Read:
The Great House of God

The Great House of God

God's greatest desire is to be your dwelling place. Using the Lord's Prayer as a floor plan for "The Great House of God," Max Lucado introduces us to a God who desires his children to draw close to him. Warm your heart by the fire in the living room. Nourish your spirit in the kitchen. Step into the hallway and find forgiveness. No house is more complete, no foundation is ...more
Published August 19th 1997 by Thomas Nelson (first published June 30th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Great House of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great House of God

Start your review of The Great House of God
Jerry
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent look at the Lord's Prayer. The chapter about getting even really spoke to me, and inspired me to make some serious changes in my way of thinking.
Kathy
Dec 16, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
My husband and our friend love this book. I think it depends on where we are in our spiritual walk. I think some days it might feed me and others, I'm left dry. Well laid out and good use of the Lord's prayer to walk us through God's house.
Shirley
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Max beautifully explain in segments the power of The Lord's Prayer which encompasses more than I realized!
Gerri
Excellent book...taking the Lord's prayer and breaking it down in segments. Max Lucado takes the reader on a journey of how we are to live daily in God's great house. You will be blessed!
Jarm Boccio
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Similar to “My Heart, Christ’s Home,” Lucado takes us through the rooms of our heart, one by one, showing us how God meets us there in a unique way. This was my “Sunday reading” book, great for meditation and contemplation!
Brooke Abbott
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!
A.
May 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The imagination of God's grace is presented beautifully and romantically by Lucado, via analysis of the "Our Father..." I had never imagined such beauty and such a visualization of the heart of God.
Read it three times.
Dayva
Mar 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: seekers
Shelves: non-fiction
Our mansions in heaven, room by room.
Edb
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book that takes the Lord's prayer as a blueprint for a house and walks through each phrase of the prayer as a different room/part of a house.
Kim
A very informative and accessible look at the Lord's Prayer. I think that as I repeat this prayer in the future, I will be more fully engaged and appreciative of each line.
Sarah Kate
Jun 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did a Bible study on this one. Really great.
Mikki Bunnett
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as I can remember, I have never not enjoyed Max Lucado books. I like his writing style, and his theology seems pretty love-centered. This book was really interesting to me because I never learned the Lord's prayer growing up, and it has always seemed suuuuuper dry; this book gave a great way of thinking about the Lord's prayer, and I'll actually use the information I found in this book. He did use one problematic analogy on p. 165, so my score isn't quite a full 5 stars, but it's close.
Kelly
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book takes the reader through the various parts of the Lord’s Prayer giving examples of how to pray during each part of the prayer as well as fleshing out characteristics of God which can be found in each line or even word of the prayer. The simple writing style, vocabulary, and content left much to be added to this book.
L8blmr
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoy Lucado's writing style and this book was no exception. Based on the Lord's Prayer, the imagery used to take you to a different room in God's House for every line was very effective. I won't think of the Lord's Prayer the same way again; it has taken on new life and I'm thankful to have it fresh in my mind.
Lisa
This book had a lot of good stories that went with scripture that I could use for Sunday School for children. Such as Psalm 37:23-goes with a story that we hold onto God’s hand because we might stumble on the ice but will not fall. We place our small hand in his large one and say, “Abba, keep me from evil”
Valerie
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Bible Study comparing the Lord’s Prayer to God’s great house. Went along well with some other books I am reading right now as we prepare to head into the Lenten season. If you have not read, I suggest you do.
A.K. Klemm
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A helpful and simple way to study The Lord's Prayer. This book has helped me answer some questions my six year old has had about prayer and God.
Terry Murphy
A lovely, slow trip through the Lord's prayer. As each phrase is examined, Lucado shows how God hides us safely in His heart, providing for our every need.
Sophie
I ended up picking up other books and packing this one away. I plan to come back and finish it at some point.
Colleen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another beautiful book by Max Lucado... inspires heartfelt prayers and closeness to our Lord.
Sparrow12
Awesome.
I listened to it twice in two days.
Max has a soothing voice and a down to earth message.
Jane Glen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a lot of Lucado's books and they never disappoint. This is based on the Lord's prayer and once again, presents a new and fresh perspective.
Wendy
Sep 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly wish I could remember everything that I read. This book by Max Lucado breaks down the Lord’s Prayer into rooms of a house and provides a greater understanding of the prayer.
Harriet
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Harriet by: harrietannw@aol.com
Another excellent book by Max Lucado. It has a Study Guide in the back of the book.
Kara
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review
I’m so blessed to have the opportunity to review Max Lucado books, this one is yet another winner by my favorite nonfiction author! Like many Christians, I have the Lord’s Prayer memorized but Lucado’s book opened my eyes to even more ways to consider this prayer in my walk with Christ. He starts out with a simple description of a home inspection of our spiritual home-thoughts and truths and convictions and hopes. God’s house=God’s presence. Some of the first scriptures Lucado uses are
Becky
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a devotional book about The Lord’s Prayer. This is the much loved prayer taught by Jesus. However, the saying of The Lord’s Prayer may start to be said by rote, with not much thinking done about the words being recited. This book wants you to slow down, think about the words, understand who God is, and how He wants to bless us. The prayer is examined line-by-line, and a chapter is devoted to each line to look in-depth at the meaning.

The author is a talented writer who communicates his id
Mary Lou
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The house analogy doesn't always work, but Lucado still has some good points.
Marilyn Magallanes
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I have asked one thing from the LORD. This is what I want: Let me live in the LORD’s house all the days of my life. ~Psalm 27:4

Did you know that God has built a House for your soul – a home for your heart? Just as you have a physical house to shelter your body, God has provided a Spiritual home to shelter your heart and house your soul.

The Lord’s Prayer sets this expansive floor plan in “The Great House of God,” while author Max Lucado takes you on a captivating room by room tour through the gra
Alisa
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really enjoyed this book. Comparing our relationship with God to a house that He has was a very concrete visual for me. I have always enjoyed Max Lucado books because in many ways he reminds me of C.S. Lewis. I appreciated many of his examples of how our Father loves us no matter what in His living room. The kitchen is a place where we can ask God to provide for us “just for today”. One of my favorite examples is how his daughter gave a pretzel to someone that had done something annoyi ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years, #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz
  • Walking from East to West: God in the Shadows
  • The Sun in the Morning: My Early Years in India and England
  • When Mountains Move
  • The Whispers of War
  • The Shadow of the Sun
  • Dumpty: The Age of Trump in Verse (Dumpty, #1)
  • Trumpty Dumpty Wanted a Crown: Verses for a Despotic Age
  • Grumpy Trumpy: A Bad Hombre Parody
  • The Anne of Green Gables Cookbook: Charming Recipes from Anne and Her Friends in Avonlea
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https: