Start by marking “Three” as Want to Read:
Three

Three

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  31,317 ratings  ·  1,936 reviews
The award-winning, best-selling suspense masterwork, now a major motion picture event.

Enter a world where nothing is what it seems. Where your closest friend could be your greatest enemy.

Kevin Parson is alone in his car when his cell phone rings. A man calling himself Slater offers a deadly ultimatum: You have exactly three minutes to confess your sin to the world. Refuse,
Published April 16th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Three, please sign up.
Amanda I think the book is good for one really good read. However, if thrillers are your standard fare it might be easier to guess the ending - I'm not sure.…moreI think the book is good for one really good read. However, if thrillers are your standard fare it might be easier to guess the ending - I'm not sure. I definitely enjoyed it & didn't want to put it down. (less)
Jack Vasen The mystery and twists are great and can be enjoyed without being religious. There is a little bit of preaching about man's struggle with sin in his n…moreThe mystery and twists are great and can be enjoyed without being religious. There is a little bit of preaching about man's struggle with sin in his nature.(less)

·  31,317 ratings  ·  1,936 reviews

Start your review of Three
Pamela
Jul 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I picked up this book because I love thrillers and after reading the synopsis I thought I'd give it a try. What a mistake. I can't figure out how this could be considered a thriller. It was such a boring book but I kept hoping. The book dragged on and on, focusing on details that were not only unnecessary but also dragged out the tale needlessly. You could tell the author was trying to create and build suspense everytime it got around to finding the "bomb", but it was just laughable. About two-t ...more
unknown
Nov 04, 2010 marked it as to-not-read-ever  ·  review of another edition
Robert Beveridge
Ted Dekker, Thr3e (Thomas Nelson, 2003)

Going into this book and knowing it was “Christian fiction”, I really have to admit I didn't expect a great deal (read: anything) from it. There are really, really good Christian writers, but in general, they are writers who happen to be Christian (Madeleine L'Engle is an obvious example, as is Francois Mauriac); as with every other type of message, the really good ones just kind of let the message come through subconsciously and don't beat the reader over
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skimmed
Let me open for those of you who don't know me by saying, I'm a Christian. I read a lot and am always on the look out for good fiction. I also like good Christian fiction. Ted Dekker has written several books and is a very popular writer and I wish him the best. If you're his fan and I see he has many more power to you and I'm happy for you. I see many liked this book.

This is the fourth book I've read (tried to read) by Mr. Dekker. I am forced to the conclusion that I'm just not going to be a Te
Jessica
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was the first book that I read of Ted Dekker's, and I was so impressed with his knowledge and writing techniques. The story is thrilling and was a perfect page turner for my husband (who isn't an avid reader) and me. And I LOVE the ending...big twist.
Denisse
Apr 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the smartest things I've read.
My Dekker-fangirl-heart needs a reread <3
Nov 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: members of Mom's book club
Based on reading Thr3e, I'd say that Ted Dekker is an excellent storyteller, but not the greatest writer.

I couldn't put the book down when I was reading it because the story was so intense and gripping. I had to know what happened next... and "what happened next" totally blind-sided me. I never saw it coming. If you're looking for a great suspense/mystery/thriller story that's clean but not preachy, this one does it for the Christian and non-Christian alike.

However, the whole time I was reading
Katie Grace
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
my mind is still spinning over that ending. o.o
Jerry
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the book that put Ted Dekker on the map. I've read varying reviews: many people have adored it, whereas others have despised it, especially the ending (which I won't reveal here). Even though I'd read it before and seen the movie--both when I was in college, which was years ago--and therefore already knew what would transpire, I had fun reading this thriller. Maybe it isn't this author's best, but, hey, we all have to start somewhere. Then again, I'm just a sucker for a story; as long a ...more
S. Div.
Dec 01, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cori
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith, i-own, thrillers
This was the author of my teen years. I devoured everything he wrote. Honestly, I can't say with absolute certainty I'd rate this book so high if I were to pick it up today. But I was absolutely mind-boggled the first time I read it. It has a special place in my heart, if for no other reasons than nostalgia and a twist I did not see coming at that age.
Alondra Miller
4 Stars

Wow! My brain could not comprehend that ending at all!

This book is purely psychological and keeps you guessing about good and evil to the very end. This is a must read for those who love suspense, because I kept wondering, "What is the secret!!???" And when it was finally revealed, I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. It was hinted at, but too many clues in the book indicated otherwise.

I think I have become a new fan of Mr. Dekker.
Ed
May 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not recommended to young readers or teens.
Jessica
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 16 And Up
READ THIS BOOK!!!
It was thrilling, amazing, edge-of-your-seat thriller!!!! I couldn't put it down, I read it till late at night, and then had trouble sleeping! :D
I can't tell much of the plot, for that would give the story away, but here's a brief bit from christianbook.com:

Imagine answering your cell phone to hear a stranger's voice issuing a chilling threat: You have three minutes to confess your sin, or he'll blow your car to smithereens. You pull over and flee just in time---but the threats
Hannah Rodriguez
Wow.
Pure genius. I wasn't expecting the ending.
(All Ted dekker books will be 5 stars from what I see)
French Giant
Oct 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can only hope that my one star rating will help nudge this book's overall rating below a 4 because as it stands now (4.02) it is severely inflated and misleading...So much so that initially I had no doubt in my mind that I would find some level of enjoyment in the book. My dear Goodreads friends, this is the first time you have lead me astray.

I'm not a book snob by any means, and typically I can find at least something enjoyable with each book I crack open, but this is by far the worst book I
Sherry
Aug 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-2015
I'm struggling writing this book review. I'm struggling with my decision to not finish the book. I wanted so badly to love this book - to even LIKE it, but it failed me. Or I failed it. I'm not sure. The book starts out with a brief and shallow discussion on the nature of evil in mankind. I think this was meant to be a foreshadowing device, but there was nothing profound in the discussion so nothing resonated or stuck with me. Right away we're thrown into some action by immediately being introdu ...more
Jinky
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Oh Brenda, oh Brenda at WV Stitcher, you reminded me not to judge a book by its cover. I would have bypassed this book because the cover's too freakin' scary!! But you were so kind to offer it to me and since it traveled over 3,000 miles to get to me and three being one of my favorite numbers, well, I took a deep breath and avoided looking at the cover as much as possible.

Wow, talk about edge of your seat thrilling! I was hooked from the beginning. My heart rate finally went down during the init
Katie
Jul 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: given-away
I have a lot of pet peeves in literature, and this book hits a few:

One is foreshadowing the ending by telling you exactly what it is several hundred pages before it happens. So having a character say "Wouldn't it be crazy if...?!" and then telling you what happens 200 pages before the end just doesn't work for me. yes, that would have been crazy if it came out of nowhere, but it didn't.

PG books with R-rated subjects. Like if there's a dangerous psychopath on the loose with serious anger and cont
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Desperate for a Thriller Without Sex or Swear Words
I read this because it was recommended on The Ultimate Reading List, which I've been working through. It was listed in the "Inspirational Fiction" section (the Christian Fiction) section, but one of the fairly good things about it is it's not at all preachy even though the man-in-peril in this one, Keven Parson, is a seminary student. The bad thing though is that its basically a routine suspense/thriller with a twist--that... Well, I didn't see it coming, but once it arrived I rolled my eyes, be ...more
Lundyn
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-again
This book gets so many mixed reviews; either you love it or absolutely hate it, no in-between. However I’ve noticed a lot of thrillers/horrors are like that, a hit or miss.

However, when it comes to Thr3e by Ted Dekker, I absolutely loved it. Ted Dekker is one of my favorite authors and most of his publications are well written with more twist and turns than one can imagine. Thr3e is no exceptions, I loved this book because the ending had caught me off guard and spun me like a top. Kevin
Lyric Powers
Feb 11, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
If I could give this book 0 stars, I would. It was given to me in a box of random paperbacks and I'm very glad I didn't pay for it. I can say without doubt that this is the worst book that I have ever read. The writing is substandard and the plot is entirely predictable and completely unoriginal. Like other reviewers, I read it all in one night, but not because I found the book compelling or gripping, it was just plain easy to read and I was bored. And I was even more bored when I finished. I wo ...more
J.S. Bailey
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY CRAP.

How does Ted think of these things? My head is still spinning. And spinning and spinning and spinning.

I won't go into plot details here since I'm sure other reviewers already have, but let's just say that I did NOT expect the ending to be what it was. I highly recommend Thr3e to those who love gripping suspense. Actually, I don't think "gripping" is a strong enough word. I read this thing in two days, and it usually takes me a week or so to get through a novel. Whew.
Mom2triplets04
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a roller coaster of a ride. The beginning reminded me so much of the movie speed. But that ending I still can't believe it! Great read and I will certainly try another Ted Dekker book.
Karl
If the measure of a good book is creative prose or fleshed out characters in a realistic world - this is a 3/5.

If the measure of a good book is how hard it is to put down - this is a 10/5
Christine Indorf
I am listening to a lot of audiobooks of late because I am in stressful situation and it is easier for me. I have given this book 3 stars because of the narrator of this book. In this novel the main character is suppose to be innocent because of his the situation he grew up in. The narrator doesn't give you that feeling, so I was confused most to the book. When I have time I have the physical book and will reread it when life gets less stressful. I have to say I love the story. It does have you ...more
Janene
my first Ted Dekker novel. I have many on my shelves, but for some reason I never have picked one up. maybe because he's a 'Christian writer'? a member of my book club highly recommended this book and she wasn't wrong. it took me longer to read, and I admit it did drag in parts, but if you like a psychological thriller that keeps you guessing, give this one a try. recommended.

PS: I would never have known he is a Christian writer.
Abigail
This book is to literature is what some niche metal band is to music. If you like it, you probably are a committed Dekker fan. My reactions can be described thus: "oh dear" "did Dexter come out at the same time?" "I'm sure the author is a nice person" "um...." "what do I do with this book now? There is no satisfactory answer"
Joy
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, favorites
This is a great suspense book with many twist and turns. It constantly has you on the edge of your seat and you never know what is going to happen next. Its one of those books that has you thinking about it over and over even after you have finished the book. Great writing and great suspense. I highly recommend it.
Lois Duncan
I found this a fascinating concept -- very hard for an author to pull off -- and have read it twice to see how he did it. My daughter, Robin, who usually likes the same books I do, found the end of it boring. I guess you can't please everybody.

• House
  • Monster
  • The Oath
  • The Visitation
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)
  • Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2)
  • This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Frank Peretti Value Pack: Prophet/Piercing the Darkness/This Present Darkness
  • Nightmare Academy (Veritas Project, #2)
  • The Calling (Seer #2)
  • Prophet
  • The Choosing (Seer, #1)
  • The Rising: Antichrist is Born  (Before They Were Left Behind, #1)
  • Adiós, Loxonauta
  • Illusion
  • The Returning (Seer, #3)
  • Tilly
  • Iscariot
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.