Start by marking “Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words” as Want to Read:
Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words

Saved by a Poem: The Transformative Power of Words

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Can someone really be saved by a poem? In Kim Rosenrsquo;s book, the answer is a reshy;sounding ldquo;Yes!rdquo; Poetry, the most ancient form of prayer, is a necessary medicine for our times#58; a companion through difficulty; a guide when we are lost; a salve when we are wounded; and a conduit to an inner source of joy, freedom, and insight.Whether you are a lover of poe ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Hay House, Inc. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Saved by a Poem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saved by a Poem

Sherry
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An inspiring book. A great invitation to get to know some poems in ways that holding them in your heart, line by line and speaking them out-loud, new every time, can do. I now know why I started putting together a Word file labeled "poetry". I think I'll start with Mary Oliver. (And thank you, Mary Jo, for sharing one of your heart poems with us at la Casa for grace when you were visiting--and for getting to know Kim and her work so well-you are both gifts!)
John
Jan 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like this book, despite it's need of some more editing. (There are sections that repeat a turn of phrase multiple times, and then not again in the book. It's as if some of the parts were written in chunks, but not during the same phase of Ms. Rosen's life.) But this is a quibble.

This books is part memoir, part how-to, part introduction to poetry reading. It taught me the difference between memorizing and "learning by heart". I think a fair distillation of the book is expressed in this q
Joyce Mason
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inklings brought me to the doorstep of returning to poetry as a writing genre after three decades. This book made me run across the threshold to greet poetry again like a long, lost relative. Saved by a Poem gave me the last bits of information I needed to understand the role poetry plays in my life and in my mixed bag of healing arts.

Kim Rosen has written an inspiring guidebook that stirs the heart about why poetry is so important and why a person should not choose to live without it. There is
Maryjoamani
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A self-help book of the best kind...a memoir by Kim Rosen on the "transformative power of words", encouraging us to memorize poetry as a way to bring meaning and comfort to our lives. Full of practical how-to's and poetry models. The accompanying CD of poems recited by well-known poets is perfect.
Susan
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a surprise how much this book spoke to me -- and even more when I experimented with the practice of "learning a poem by heart." The stories and poems were moving and the practice itself even more so. Loved.
ofwoodsandbone
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me realise how fragile and beautiful poetry is. In a landscape of self obsession, perfection and having the latest 'things' this book reminds me that in other countries poets can bring peace with their words
Jody
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I actually just skimmed this book. I don't think I was in the right mood to read the chirpy "look what poetry did!" text.It has some interesting concepts though.
Roberta
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, political
I read this on and off with other poetry books. I like it and it needs a good editing.
Patricia Keeler
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that added so much to my life...saved my life!!!
Jo
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Perhaps not every page, I am not the biggest fan of a super sincere American style. But it was easy enough to filter that in order to absorb some great treasures of poetry, heartfelt reflections on its meaning, and a moving attempt to explore the power of poetry to companion us through the experiences of life. It was a delight to be introduced to new poems and poets as well as to revisit familiar favourites and to see them with new eyes, hear more vibrant depths, as they were ...more
Marilyn
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I was sad when I came to the last few pages because I didn't want it to end. I savored it, reading 2-3 pages at a time. I have wanted to understand poetry for a long time, bought books, tried to get what they were saying, but got frutrated or felt stupid because I didn't get them. I discovered from reading Kim Rosen's book that poetry is all over the place - in prayer, in songs, in my favorite quotes. Kim Rosen guides you through understanding the power of poems, and she gives ...more
Quinn
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Saved by a Poem demonstrates the power of poetry to heal and restore both the spirit and the mind. Kim Rosen takes the reader beyond reading poetry through to learning it by heart and writing poetry as well, although writing is not a "requirement" to benefiting from poetry. She distinguishes memorization from learning by heart, and describes how committing to a poem taps into the inner source of strength, healing, joy and freedom.

A well-written and interesting book, I was encouraged to make poe
Richard Quis
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Spell Breaker

I read this book while healing from bladder surgery. Poems have always intimated me but Kim Rosen has a special genius to help someone transcend their fears. This book got me through some tough times and gave me the courage to finally tackle a poem I was skeptical I could handle – Dante’s Divine Comedy. While I’ve been to Hell and back with Dante and my surgery, thanks to Kim Rosen, I was better able to manage my emotions while visiting some very dark places.
Richard Quis, coautho
Pat Edwards
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, to some day write a poem that impacts like the ones Rosen sites! With the universe of poetry in books and now many amazing live poetry performances available on the web, I use poetry more and more often to shift my perspective. Now I just have to take her recommendation at hand and memorize some.
Ivan Granger
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, favorites
What can I say? Read the first few pages and you won’t want to stop. An exploration of the power of poetry to open our lives in surprising, healing ways and, at the same time, an engaging personal memoir. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Jun 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading how poetry can save and transform lives. It was an affirmation of my own experience with poetry and it felt good to know there are other powerful stories out there. I also loved the cd that came with the book. I'll be sharing many of the anecdotes with my students.
Lia
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, partial-reads
This book has some beautiful ideas and beautiful poems. There is much to enjoy and admire. (It gets a bit preachy, too. So, don't try to read it all at once. Come back to it by pieces, read it out of order, savor the good bits, because the good bits are good.)
John Weiler
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely wonderful introduction to poetry ... a medium I have heretofore shunned and mocked. I hope the seed which Kim's book has planted within me grows, blossoms and spreads to people in my life.
Marilyn Chandler
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful reflection on the role of poetry in the writer's own life and in the life of cultures in crisis. Lucid, engaging, and inspiring.
Rebekah
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying introduction to poetry's mysteries. Even a longtime believer such as myself needs her faith reaffirmed, and this book did it. Poem as shaman?! Yes!
Kayellen Hurd
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetry is a very special language that is translated and conveyed as the author is inspired and according to the given muse.
Isabel Stout
Excellent presentation of the parallel yet closely woven lives of mistress and maid. Transcends India to address key issues of power, dependency, love resentment anywhere household workers exist.
Elizabeth Gates
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times self-indulgent, but often inspirational
Nessa McCasey
Jan 16, 2016
Samara Burnes
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Writing the Mind Alive: The Proprioceptive Method for Finding Your Authentic Voice
  • Poetry as Spiritual Practice: Reading, Writing, and Using Poetry in Your Daily Rituals, Aspirations, and Intentions
  • Writing the Life Poetic: An Invitation to Read & Write Poetry
  • SoulCollage: An Intuitive Collage Process for Individuals and Groups
  • Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women
  • Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives
  • Letting Go of Anger: The Eleven Most Common Anger Styles and What to Do About Them
  • This Incredible Need to Believe
  • Slamming Open the Door
  • The Positive Power Of Negative Thinking
  • Changing for Good: A Revolutionary Six-Stage Program for Overcoming Bad Habits and Moving Your Life Positively Forward
  • Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day