Start by marking “Sports in America” as Want to Read:
Sports in America

Sports in America

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
"A comprehensive, controversial examination of sports as a major force in American life." Los Angeles Times
There is a crisis in American sports, and it's getting worse. Drugs, violence, and the corrupting effects of money and fame. Even before these problems made national headlines, master writer James A. Michener was growing concerned about the state of sports in America.
Mass Market Paperback, 576 pages
Published April 12th 1983 by Fawcett (first published May 12th 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Sports in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sports in America

John Baker
Mar 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book 20+ years ago. It should be required reading for all sports junkies as well as athletes planning a career in sports. The chapter on collegian sports in America was well-researched, spot on and worth the purchase price.
I gave this book to a friend's son as he was going off to college to play Division 1 football several years ago. Recently, he called to thank me for the gift, which broadened his perspective on sports and life. He currently is a brand manager at ESPN.
Kathy
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
Interesting theories, especially regarding black atheles (best specimens from Africa, survival of the fittest on slave ships, desire to get out of the ghetto, etc.)
Hal Brodsky
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book caused me to help lead a peaceful protest movement in college, trying to get my college to drop to a lower NCAA division.
Philip
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essay, sports
It's probably very dated now, but when I read it I found it to be very interesting. (Date read is an approximation).
Sharron
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was actually used as a textbook for a class I took way back in undergrad days. Best textbook ever.
Nancy (Apple) Schnore
Well I am not into sports
Lon
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While it may seem a bit dated, this is one of the finest sports books on the market. Well worth the effort.
Len Knighton
I read this many years ago and I seem to remember that I was a little disappointed in it.
V Manera
Nov 20, 2010
Dave Bahr
Sep 25, 2012
Jesse
rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2016
Apr 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Ascent of Everest
  • Season Ticket
  • Fenway 1912: The Birth of a Ballpark, a Championship Season, and Fenway's Remarkable First Year
  • Bicycle: The History
  • Art Nouveau
  • The Bicycle Wheel
  • The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever
  • The Hole in the Universe
  • The Blueprint: How the New England Patriots Beat the System to Create the Last Great NFL Superpower
  • Dreamland: Travels Inside the Secret World of Roswell and Area 51
  • Ranch of Dreams: The Country's Most Unusual Sanctuary, Where Every Animal Has a Story
  • Red Hot Lies: How Global Warming Alarmists Use Threats, Fraud, and Deception to Keep You Misinformed
  • Hong Kong
  • Hey, Wait a Minute
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for t
More about James A. Michener...