Start by marking “The ASJA Guide to Freelance Writing: A Professional Guide to the Business, for Nonfiction Writers of All Experience Levels” as Want to Read:

Whether you're just starting out, considering going full-time, or are already a successful freelance writer, you'll find the information and insights needed to take your work to the next level in this smart, thorough guide. Compiled by the prestigious American Society of Journalists and Authors, the book's twenty-six chapters cover the business from every angle, tackling t ...more
Published September 8th 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published September 1st 2003)

Start your review of The ASJA Guide to Freelance Writing: A Professional Guide to the Business, for Nonfiction Writers of All Experience Levels
Erin
This book is 15 years old and very out of date but I bought it for $1 so I got what I paid for. I did pick up a couple of tips and I got some laughs at how dismissive these writers are of that new fangled Internet Machine. This book was intended for already established writers who could afford to quit their day job and freelance write, its not for writers who don't have any contacts or a long track record.

No rec.

Around The Year in 52 Books: A book with a text only cover.
Barbara
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
I have a piece in this anthology, so I can't exactly say it's great. I will say, though, that there are a great many very good, useful pieces on the craft and business of journalism by fellow ASJA members.
Luke
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-on-writing
A pretty good overview for the novice aspiring freelancer; lots of practical tips, including the nitty-gritty of writing queries, negotiating contracts, and maximizing tax deductions.

The section on online journalism seems quite dated, however.
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
Published in 2003, this book unfortunately is a dated already. I read only the chapters that applied to me and left the rest. In spite of being a little behind the current curve, I found it helpful in motivating me to rethink new directions for my freelance writing and editing career.
Melissa
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Informative. Not my cup of tea - I'm reading it for a class I'm taking - but it is packed full of handy, practical information for the aspiring freelancer.
Tracy
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
I bet this book was fantastic in 2003, but it's comically outdated now. A few chapters were still quite informative.
Missy
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to sell their writing
So far it's FAB!!! Exactly what I needed as I start my slow and steady pace to becoming an incredible freelance writer. :-)
Pat Tunstall