Start by marking “Blood of the Lamb (John Jordan Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blood of the Lamb (John Jordan Mystery, #2)

Blood of the Lamb

(John Jordan Mystery #2)

Florida prison chaplain John Jordan's
search for the peace that has so long eluded him is interrupted by an
unimaginable murder. Attempting to be a good man in a very bad place while also
maintaining his shaky sobriety, John investigates the murder of the seven
year-old adopted daughter of ex-con turned televangelist, Bobby Earl Caldwell, a
murder committed in John's own
Published September 1st 2004 by Bleak House Books

To ask other readers questions about Blood of the Lamb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of the Lamb

Start your review of Blood of the Lamb (John Jordan Mystery, #2)
Sean
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is the second in this series that I have read now and I am beginning to like this character really much now.

Michael Lister has done a really good job of making John Jordan a really likeable character that I will definitely be reading more in this series.
Ace
Oct 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook-indies
If there was a category for "Depressing Fiction," this series would be at the top of it. John Jordan is a sorry-assed alcoholic prison chaplain, with a miserable job, who works in a miserable setting and is placed in miserable situations. I picked up the first 6 novels in this series at a bargain rate after reading a promo on facebook, but after reading the first two, I've had my fill. If only it was in book form. Then I could take it outside and burn it.
Kari Beasley
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gifted-books
While this book is #2 in a series it can be read as a stand alone novel. I haven't read Book #1 and was able to follow along and not be lost. However, that being said, I am positive there is background information involving the main character John that would be helpful when reading this book. With that being said, this book was not what I had expected, though I'm not sure what my expectations were.

John has returned to his home state of Florida and is now a prison Chaplin. There is history in
Jackie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
All John Jordan wants is peace to live his life. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to work out that way. A murder is definitely something to be solved. Don’t miss out
Deep Hollow
Dec 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-florida
Florida noir or Southern noir, this was an interesting read. The main character is a prison chaplain at a Florida prison where a murder takes place. Nice to read a book where a man of faith is showcased - with his beliefs, doubts and warts all on display. I hope to read the other books in the series. Note: this was a free book in a special Christmas giveaway. I just signed up for it on the author's website and received it in the mail about four days later.
Ellen White
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
BLOOD OF THE LAMB ..Michael Lister
Living in a tin breadbox of a house, drinking once again. The contents within a reflection of the discontentment of his soul, Laura a friend comes, telling him she is being stalked He was an ex cop, a chaplain, and a partner Merrill sometime to help solve a crime. His love interest was Anna and the reason he was back doing prison work. John Jordan an interesting human character, you see him as one with faults and he doesn’t hide them, willing to help others.
annapi
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
Prison chaplain John Jordan investigates the killing of a televangelist's adopted daughter, who was locked in his own office as inmates of the Potter Correctional Institute attended her father's sermon at the prison.

Lister provides enough clues for the reader to figure out the mystery in the midst of all the red herrings thrown around. I'm enjoying this series, even though it's not as tight or as compelling as my favorite thrillers. I suspect the writing will improve, but this one was a little
Bob
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in this series that i've read. The protagonist is a prison chaplain who sidelines as a detective. In this book, a TV evangelist comes to the prison along with his wife and young daughter to present the gospel. While there, the little girl is killed in the chaplain's office so the chaplain takes it upon himself to figure out who killed her. That's enough of the plot. The real selling point of this series of books is the chaplain. He's a very flawed and human character. Full ...more
Drasko
Aug 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Any time of the year you can get this author's books for free. It is difficult to get any NYT bestselling author at discounted price not to mention for free. I have feeling that Mr Lister is giving us his sermons through his books. More then half of the book is in perfect alignment with current "progressive" ideology. After living good part of my life in communist country I can't stand any sort of cheap propaganda and unfortunately Mr Lister's books are teeming with that and, of course, all ...more
Murrel Lowry
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again, author Michael Lister did a great job with the 2nd in the John Jordan series. Well written with some really good people and some really bad ones,and a story line filled to the brim and daring me to stop reading. And I didn't and so now I'm going to have to read more. Many thanks to this author for doing what he does so well, so I can do what I do so well, and that would be reading. Keep up the good work and I'll try to hold up my end of the deal. Again, thank you very much.
Marcia
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John Jordan moves through his precarious life as a prison chaplain using all of his talents gained as a former cop and investigator. He does not shy away from anything, except maybe his own feelings. This book was a bit tough as it involves a child and inmates. Evil is everywhere. The reason behind it all is something that drives many to make bad decisions. I really like this series but each book so far can be read by itself.
Jim Phillips
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent complicated murder mystery with very interesting realistic characters. John Jordan is a flawed prison chaplain with several problems to deal with. The story has several murders, lots of suspense, and even some romance. A great storyline that will keep you reading well into the night. Contains an unexpected conclusion that you won't see coming. Highly recommended book and series.
I received and ARC copy of this revised edition, but also purchased the original book.
Denise
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
John Jordan a revised edition.
John is drinking again. Laura an old friend comes to him to say she is being stalked. he was a cop but now works as a chaplain in a prison. He and his partner go after the man who is stalking Laura.
when a young girl is brought into the prison without the correct protocols to preach and sing John can't understand why, then she is murdered at the prison.
This is a revised edition of the book. Given ARC for review.
These are a great series of books.
Denise
Sammye
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fast paced, thought provoking thriller full of twists and turns. John Jordan is a very complicated character. The storyline is very entertaining. Lots of drama and intrigue. I received a free copy of this book and am voluntarily leaving this review
Joan
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really like this author and these characters.
Vickie
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story line, well written, good characters.
Robert Mack
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Kept me guessing right up to the end.
Jim Southard
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Reasonably pleasant mystery read, good enough to keep reading but nothing exciting.
Dorothy
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this series. Don't really know if t this stuff really happens in jail but it sounds convincing. Good Read.
Donna Ferguson
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this guy.....he is so real and a really nice guy with a genuine love for people and justice. He's smart and intuitive which is not unusual for a recovering alcoholic. He also messes up from time to time. He loves God and does his best to share that with others but is by no means phony or religious....what else can I say....gonna start book 3 now!
Rosemarie
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The second in the John Jordan Mystery Series, "Blood of the Lamb" is another mystery with depth. In this novel, Lister more fully develops John Jordan's character as this recovering alcoholic falls off the wagon after the murder of the young daughter of an evangelist who came to the prison to preach. Stunned that the girl was even brought to the prison with her parents, Jordan is also enraged that he, as prison chaplain, was not even told of the decision until last minute. Now he has to work to ...more
Bert
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've previously read three other crime mystery novels by this author. I like this book in large part because it is part of a series where the protagonist is a prison chaplain. The author must have a strong personal spiritual dimension himself, which he exposes by putting sermon-like messages and thoughts into his mind and thoughts. It's tough dealing with a child's murder inside prison walls, and the reader is kept guessing as ambiguous clues unravel. There are some annoying proofreading errors ...more
Dave
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd book in the series and I did not like it quite as much as the first. I liked the uncertainty in the chaplain's mind about his beliefs. I didn't like the way he fell back into bed with his ex-wife (who he detested in the first volume). Centering these stories around a specific prison means we have to see the same old characters again and again (good guys and bad guys were same old, same old!)) I enjoyed reading the first book. Finishing this one seemed like more of a duty. ...more
Georgia
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
2nd book in the series. The storyline moved along in some new ways. There is some sexual content in this one. The violence is to be expected due to the nature of the story.

There were a few paragraphs that made me stop and think. Especially with the current violent language in our political world (USA). Whenever a book makes me stop and think I am happy for the work mentally spiritually and how it causes me to stop and evaluate the world around me. For this reason I would recommend to those who
Audrey Grant
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: NO ONE
Shelves: e-book
Wow! This was a rough read!! A chaplain who drinks and doesn't even know half the time what he believes about God, the Bible, religion and his own Faith! I get the story had to be rough taking place where it did in a max prison with very bad characters, so was prepared for that. The flirting with infidelity while being a preacher, being a drunk and having now grounds of faith to give the inmates....that made it bomb for me.
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Amazing plot, great writing, sometimes unbelievable situations (crazy shootout scene anyone?), and a STUPID dropoff ending. I was torn between giving this book 1 star or 5. In the end, I really think this author is fantastic. I'm hoping my Kindle version of the book contained spelling and other errors that the print version does not. Otherwise I may be tempted to knock off another 1/2 star.

I will be looking for Lister again.
Delores Thomas
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very disturbing story. A young girl is murdered in the prison. What was she doing there in the first place? Many adults were trying to accomplish their various ends and not considering her safety. Chaplin Jphn was determined to get to the bottom of this problem. Other events try to distract him including the Warden wanting him off the case. He is able to figure out what had been going on without "officially" having any investigation on his part.
Charlene Childers
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is one for sure that will keep you wondering who and why the mud er took place considering the father and mother brought the child into the prison to witness and then the chid was murdered while being in the prison In a locked office while the father and mother was out preaching the word of God to the inmates
Andy Plonka
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src
This one takes place in a prison and involves the death of a child who is not really supposed to be in the prison. There ia a religious component to the plot which I usually try to avoid, but this was quite well done. Also a view of prison life that one doesn't usually see.
Kristine
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Play Book Tag: Blood of the Lamb by Michael Lister - 3 stars 1 8 Aug 10, 2019 01:38AM

• Cassidy (Lt. Kate Gazzara Novel Book 7)
  • Rogue Commander (Titus Black #3)
  • Escape (A Ball & Chain Thriller #7)
  • The Midnight Wife
  • Dead Men Walking (Jack Reacher's Special Investigators)
  • Soul of Siren (Merworld Book 2)
  • Contest
  • Dragon Rising
  • You Can't Make Old Friends (Brighton's No.1 Private Detective #1)
  • Death of a Crafty Knitter (Stormy Day Mystery #2)
  • The Search (Mason Walker #1)
  • Write Like Hell: Dark Fantasy & Sci-Fi (Vol.2)
  • Out of the Past (Reed Ferguson #5)
  • The Girl Who Ran Away (A McClintock-Carter Crime Thriller #4; The Girl Who Ran Trilogy #1)
  • Death of a Dapper Snowman (Stormy Day Mystery #1)
  • Shadow City
  • Murder in the South of France (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #1)
  • The Lady Who Sang High (Reed Ferguson #7)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning novelist Michael Lister is a native Floridian best known for his literary suspense thrillers as well as his two ongoing mystery series, the prison chaplain John Jordan "Blood" series and the hard-boiled, 1940s noir Jimmy "Soldier" Riley Series, and the post-apocalypic suspense thriller Cataclysmos.

Visit www.michaellister.com for more information, or

John Jordan Mystery (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Power in the Blood (John Jordan Mystery #1)
  • Flesh and Blood (John Jordan Mystery, #3)
  • The Body and the Blood (John Jordan Mystery, #4)
  • Blood Sacrifice (John Jordan Mystery, #5)
  • Rivers to Blood (John Jordan Mystery, #6)
  • Innocent Blood (John Jordan Mystery, #7)
  • Blood Money (John Jordan Mystery, #8)
  • Blood Moon (John Jordan Mystery, #9)
  • Blood Cries (John Jordan Mystery #10)
  • Blood Oath (John Jordan Mystery #11)