Start by marking “Roil (The Nightbound Land, #1)” as Want to Read:
Roil  (The Nightbound Land, #1)

Roil (The Nightbound Land #1)

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews

File Under: Fantasy [ End Of The World | The Darkness Approaches | Addiction | On T
Published August 30th 2011 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Roil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roil

Kwesi 章英狮
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Today's weather was different because of the heavy rain last couple of weeks. It was hot and I need something to enjoy in a hot day and I thought reading science fiction or something related to desert might help me fulfill my day. Unfortunately, I end up eating in the nearby fast food while cursing myself because of my great disappointment. Hey, the weather changed again and it rain so heavy and I have to walk in the flood. My afternoon sucks and I can't sleep because of what happened.

If you rea
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

'How does one go about saving the world?'
Roil is the first part of a duology The Nightbound Land and as such it mostly sets up the stage for the second book. I am going to rate it by how much it succeeds in doing that. Credit where credit's due sort of a thing.

The world, Shale, is a world with two moons and a dozen of independent city-states. Now almost all of those marvellous cities are disappearing under the onslaught of a strange spore-bearing storm that transforms everything it comes i
Stefan
The land of Shale is in trouble. The Roil, a wave of darkness filled with unnatural monsters, is sweeping across the continent, engulfing everything it encounters. Out of twelve cities, only four remain standing. Humanity is fighting back in every way it can, but internal divisions between political factions increase the chaos, and more and more it seems like the end is nigh. It’s up to a drug-addicted boy, a young woman out for revenge for the death of her parents, and a man who may be thousand ...more
Ranting Dragon
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle

Roil is the impressive first installment in The Nightbound Land duology by Trent Jamieson, up-and-coming Australian author of the urban fantasy trilogy Death Works. Jamieson’s newest novel showcases a powerful imaginative streak, creating a darkly fascinating world and successfully combining elements of science fiction, fantasy, steampunk and horror.

Roil is an apocalyptic tale set in a world called Shale, which lies on the brink of destruction by a seeming
Jason
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
4.5 Stars

Roil by Trent Jamieson is a superb science fiction and steampunk novel that comes close to perfect marks from me.

This book is made special by the world cheap by Jamieson. It is a character in itself. The world is slowly being overtaken and swallowed whole by the Roil. The Roil is itself an entity but it also contains many horrific denizens. Monstrous Wolves, flying leaves, and smokey moths are just a few to mention.

The characters are just fine, I only wish that we would have been given
Justin
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it

Is steampunk the new vampire urban fantasy? I feel like there's been a huge outbreak of steampunk this year. I guess it makes sense as a natural out growth of the huge boom in urban fantasy. For the most part steampunk tends to be more familiar to people than second world fantasy or space opera with no connection to the "real world". It is traditionally set in a Victorian or Old West environment with historical elements that make sense to mainstream reader
Ben Babcock
Back in Grade 7, we studied short stories and storytelling. We covered Freitag’s Pyramid: introduction, inciting force, rising action, crisis/climax, denouement, and resolution. We studied The Most Dangerous Game, and we listed the different types of conflict: man vs man, man vs himself, man vs nature, etc. It’s a simplistic way to analyze literature, but it does provide a good foundation to build upon in later years, once you have the ability to make more nuanced observations. I still remember ...more
Kara-karina
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.5/5
egalley thanks to Angry Robot

Interesting premise isn't it? And totally wrong.

I had to literally fight my way through the book. Don't get me wrong, - this is a good book, interesting, original, leaves plenty to work with for your imagination... But my God, would it have hurt to give us a little bit of prologue or some sort of world description instead of just throwing us into the deep end and let us swim or sink?

It took me 5 chapters to understand the structure. The quote in the beginning o
Vanessa
Oct 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
When David's father is killed before his eyes he believes his world is ending. Unfortunately, not only is David's personal world ending, it's also ending for everyone else: the Roil is coming.

Margaret is the only child of famous inventors. The Roil has laid siege to their city for thirty years, and it's through their inventiveness that the city survives. But their big experiment goes horribly wrong.

Cadell finds David alone on the street and saves him from a fate similar to his father's. Cadell i
Thoraiya
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
After reading some other reviews, I was a tad anxious that the alleged infodumps and character-switching would put me off Roil. What I actually found was the opposite.

The world of Shale was a world I might have dreamed, and then been unable to find the words - so I'm pleased that Jamieson found a way to pin it down. It all made perfect, poetic sense to me. Yes, the archetypes we all know and love are here, but they are beautifully done, in a Fellowship of the Ring meets Dune kind of way, with an
Nathan
I guess I expected more. Some very interesting ideas to be sure, but some things about this book just didn't work for me. To start with, some plain bad editing. An hour or two could pass between one line of text and the next, with no warning. The short chapters, each with a fake quote, jarred the text and kept any flow from being build up.

We are informed that each character is important, or from important families, but never really learn why. Not only do I not care for them, I didn't care one wa
Michelle
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Also published under The Ranting Dragon
Author interview: http://bit.ly/qjmOyI

Roil is an apocalyptic tale set in a world called Shale, which lies on
JRod
Jun 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Three and a half would be closer. This book had some interesting things going on and I truly enjoyed the setting and characters. The problem was that the author seemed to operate under the auspice that I, the reader already knew all the lore as if I had grown up in this world. It made parsing out some of the elements difficult to figure out until proper context was applied.

However I really enjoyed the book and though tracking down the second book seems difficult, I fully look forward to finishin
S.B. Wright
Roilis the first book in a duology to be released by Angry Robot books, the second will be called Nights Engines.

The story

Shale is in trouble, dying. A vast, chaotic, monster-bearing storm known only as the Roil is expanding, consuming the land.

Where once there were twelve great cities, now only four remain, and their borders are being threatened by the growing cloud of darkness. The last humans are fighting back with ever more bizarre new machines. But one by one the defences are failing.

Karissa
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got an advanced reading copy of this book through NetGalley.com. The premise was very intriguing and I was excited to read the book. It was an incredibly creative world, that followed some interesting characters through a dark steampunk adventure. This book is the first in a series called The Nightbound Lands.

Margaret is the daughter of some famous scientists, when her home town falls to the Roil she is forced to flee through the Roil and try to find a way to help stop the Roil's expansion. Da
Aparajitabasu
Good enough but not that great here I present before you my views on Trent Jamieson's upcoming book Roil .

Here is the summary of the book:

Shale is in trouble - the creature-filled darkness known as the Roil is expanding, consuming the land, swallowing cities whole. Where once there were 12 metropolises, now only 4 remain. It's up to a drug addict, an old man and a woman bent on revenge to try to save their city - and the world.

Its steampunk - its sci-fi - its full of action and its a dystopic
Tsana Dolichva
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Roil is the first book of Trent Jamieson's Nightbound Land duology. I've had it on my TBR since around the time it came out, but have only just got around to reading it.

Roil is set in a very different world to ours. Every layer of it is different, and so it takes a little while for the world to be fully built up — to Jamieson's credit, he avoids large chunks of info dumping — the blurb doesn't do that aspect justice. The Roil itself is a seething storm of monsters and destruction which can only
Loren Foster

ISBN: 9780857661845

Format: Paperback
Pages: 432
List Price: $7.99

According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictio... ) the word ROIL is a verb whose first known use dates back to 1590. Definition is given as: to make turbid by stirring up the sediment or dregs; to stir up; disturb; to move turbulently; be in a state of
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
It isn't often that I will write a review for a book after only 79 pages. I probably won't ever do it again, but never say never, or ever, as it were. On a side note, I seem to spend a lot of time reading random books from my bookshelves while I'm waiting for the semi-sketchy romances on my first-gen Sony ereader to load, but that's another story.

First, let me say, that Roil is dense with information, doesn't have a lot of explanation, is hard to understand, and has some of the most extensive wo
J.C. Hart
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up via NetGalley as it sounded like an interesting read. While a little confusing to begin with, it didn’t take long to get a picture of what was going on. The author really does throw you in the deep end, though it is well worth sticking with because even if you feel like you’re playing catch up, it’s an exciting place to be in!

It’s been a long time since I’ve hit upon such a richly imagined world. It was so alien, so new, so fascinating, and so beautifully described. I easil
Bibliotropic
Jul 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copies
Mardel
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It seems as though any book published by Angry Robot turns out to be wicked good. They're not your typical steampunk or urban fantasy novels. Roil is another example of a crazy good book.

This continent, Shale, - even the entire world, is being consumed by this thing called the Roil. Heat loving monsters like you've never heard of before....quarg hounds, witmoths, garment flutes...lots of baddies. From the back of the book - "It's up to a decadent wastrel, a four thousand year old man and a youn
Caitlin
Feb 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Originally reviewed at incaseofsurvival.com here http://incaseofsurvival.com/post-apoc...

This book is brutal, very dark, almost unremittingly so. Even the best of the grimdark genre needs moments of light or hope, though, or the book becomes emotionally draining- like this one does. So much so I had to stop half way through and read something else. I sincerely hope the second book has some more bright spots in it.
The writing is competent, often poetic, but sometimes a little overwrought. Now, I
Kribu
Roil is a hard book to rate - and even to comment on.

On the one hand, the world-building was great. Unique. Fascinating. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into it, a mixture of alternative universe / high fantasy / steampunk (with possible scifi elements).

On the other hand, there's the writing. I suspect this may be a matter of taste - some people will love Jamieson's style, with its run-on sentences (seriously, someone should have exterminated 2/3 of the commas used in this book) and abrupt shi
Argus
Apr 22, 2012 rated it liked it
I have rated this book a three, because every single part of it was either ridiculously stupid, or absolutely brilliant. I want to give it both a one and a five, because while there are parts that I love, and wish other books could pull off, there are an equal number of parts that I detest.

Endothermic weaponry to fight an enemy that thrives on oppressive heat? Amazing.

Doing that thing where the author makes up a bunch of terms and never just explains any but makes the reader figure it out? Annoy
Keith Stevenson
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Trent Jamieson is a writer of no small talent, one who suffuses his richly imagined worlds with authentic human feeling and - as a result - portrays realistic characters in extraordinary circumstances. Roil is a prodigious work of imagination. The world of Roil has a history as complex as its current social and geographical topography (and on that last point, I could have done with a map to plot the journeys of our protagonists because the place feels that real).

Roil allows Trent to give free re
Yvonne Boag
Aug 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
"The history of this world cannot be understood without a complete knowledge of the three forces that govern it. The Roil, the Engine and, of course, The Breaching Spire. We know of a Mechanical Winter, we have heard whisperings of the punishment meted out for that by whatever brute intellect rules Tearwin Meet. We know that the Roil is ancient, that it has come before.
So what is it that we know?
Nothing.
Our history is but one of events, scattered and continuing, but never in the context that suc
Fantasy Literature
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Just_ann_now
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Things I didn't like about this book:
- It was extremely poorly edited
- The plot didn't make any sense to me
- It took me a long, long time to become invested in any of the characters

BUT

- At about 60% in, things started to happen!
- The female characters are really kick-ass, especially the wisecracking female pilot of a living, sentient (I think) ship!
- The world-building was really intriguing.

This would be a really good beach book (because it doesn't really matter if beach books don't make sense
Erik Lundqvist
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book impressed me.

I feel I need to congratulate Angry Robot for yet another great signing in Trent Jamieson. After reading Roil I must pick up his other books. Roil seems to have it all, a rich world, characters that both engage and horrify you and a plot that makes you want to come back for more. It was a very difficult book to put down at night, the pages seemed to turn themselves. Roil also has greatness, so far no epic battles, but it's there, that feeling of something epic. It's hard t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Debris (The Veiled Worlds, #1)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • City of Dreams & Nightmare (City of a Hundred Rows, #1)
  • The Corpse-Rat King
  • The Shattered City (Creature Court, #2)
  • Desdaemona (Desdaemona,#1)
  • The Hunter (The Legend Chronicles, #1)
  • Ghosts of War (The Ghost, #2)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • Sojourn (Time Rovers, #1)
  • Magebane
  • Tarnished (The St. Croix Chronicles, #1)
  • Ghost Ocean
  • The Martian Ambassador (Blackwood and Harrington, #1)
  • Harbinger of the Storm (Obsidian and Blood, #2)
  • Legends Reborn (The Light of Epertase #1)
  • Blackdog
  • Trance (MetaWars, #1)
Trent Jamieson is a science fiction and fantasy writer.

Trent works as a teacher, a bookseller, and a writer, and has taught at Clarion South.

The Nightbound Land (2 books)
  • Night's Engines (The Nightbound Land, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99