Start by marking “The Romance of Dracula; a personal Journey of the Count on celluloid ” as Want to Read:
The Romance of Dracula; a personal Journey of the Count on celluloid

The Romance of Dracula; a personal Journey of the Count on celluloid

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  13 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Romance is a labour of love for the films based on Bram Stoker's novel Dracula. From Max Schreck (1922) to Marc Warren (2006). Fourteen reviews of fourteen classic movies. The epilogue shows reviews of movies in which Dracula has made a token appearance.
Published (first published January 27th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about The Romance of Dracula; a personal Journey of the Count on celluloid

Natasha Larry
Mar 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nora
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Romance of Dracula
By
Charles E. Butler

I was very pleased when I was asked to read and review The Romance of Dracula by Charles E. Butler. I thought I knew everything there was to know about Dracula, but after reading this book, I was surprised and pleased to find out there was more to discover. A tremendous amount of research and work into making The Romance of Dracula. I was totally amazed and beyond impressed with the outcome. Anything a person wants to know about Dracula, to who has playe
Don Weiss
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dracula has had so many differing screen personas over the years that chronicling them can seem a daunting task, but Charles Butler is up to the challenge. Narrowing his focus to those movies directly inspired by the original story makes for a promising start. After summarizing both Bram Stoker's novel and its earliest reinterpretation, the Hamilton Deane play, Butler dives right in, exploring each "face" of Dracula ranging from the familiar (Bela Lugosi and Christopher Lee) to the romantic (Fra ...more
Sharleene Creasey
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"There was one great tomb more lordly than all the rest; huge it was, and nobly proportioned. On it was but one word, DRACULA'

So begins 'The Romance of Dracula' where author Charles Butler cordially invites his readers to reminisce, renew & even in places rethink our eternal love for the on screen Count.

All of the big screen adaptations you would expect to be featured are present including Nosferatu (1922), Dracula (1931), Dracula (1958) and of course the 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula starring
Gina
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was a passion project, which I can respect, but I am not sure that it was necessary. The author goes through the Dracula movies, giving a synopsis and then a review, though sometimes reviews get into the synopses and vice versa.

It is not scholarly, and it is not as complete as it could be because he assumes that anyone reading the book will have already seen these movies. For me the most interesting parts were the movies I have not seen. It could have used a sharp editor to give some focus.
Scarlette D'Noire
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The book is a complete review of the top 14 movies on the Count based off of Bram Stoker's Dracula. The author takes great care in detailing each movie without seeming to go on and on. The illustrations are simply stunning too. Definitely worth the read.
Syrena
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great journey through the Dracula film genre.
Gareth