Start by marking “The Shadow Society (The Shadow Society #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow Society  (The Shadow Society #1)

The Shadow Society

(The Shadow Society #1)

Darcy Jones doesn't remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere—but she couldn't have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn't happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy ar
Published October 16th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Society, please sign up.
Sofia Yes it is one book and its basically a novel
…more
Yes it is one book and its basically a novel
(less)
Isis Hunter My teacher said it is more of a Scientific Realistic Fiction. Or you can call it supernatural.

Start your review of The Shadow Society (The Shadow Society #1)
Steph Sinclair

These days every time I go to pick up another Paranormal Romance I know I'll end up with some form of vampire, werewolf, zombie or ghost. And while there is nothing wrong any of those types of characters, it tends to get a little "tell me something I don't know, would ya?" I wanted something different, creative and imaginative. So when I first discovered The Shadow Society, I was really excited to read a novel that featured an entirely new Paranormal creature: Shades, children of the shadows (ba
Maureen
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It definitely wasn't perfect and dragged at some points, but overall I really really liked it. Conn & Darcy are really great characters and I loved seeing all the characters grow & change in this book. Also such an interesting concept for a book! SO GUHD. ...more
Rebekah
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, ya-addiction, clean
Sooooo good! Full REVIEW HERE! Check it out! http://awesomebooknuts.blogspot.com/2...

Giselle
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
The Shadow Society begins on a very clichéd note: hot new guy who our protagonist is immediately attracted to, who invades all her thoughts, and seems to be enchanted by her--the plain Jane. Let's just say I did not have high hopes after this. But fortunately, and as a big relief, things turn around quite drastically once we get over this beginning slump. This is when we find ourselves into a very intriguing and unique premise involving alternate dimensions.

Alternate dimensions are not something
Mir
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Chicagophiles
A very low 4-star -- better than the several I've recently given threes to but not as good as many I've four-starred, including the author's earlier The Cabinet of Wonders.

I liked the initial concept and I liked Darcy and her friends even though they seemed a little too good to be true (okay, she is an orphan with a sad past, but her foster mother is nice and she has great friends and does well at school and is very talented at art).

And I thought the ending was pretty strong.

The middle, on th
Candace Robinson
The Winner's Trilogy is one of my favorite series of all time, so I finally decided to give this one a shot! This book felt very different from her other fantasy series because it was more of an urban fantasy or paranormal. But I really loved the vibe an uniqueness of the alternate world!

Darcy was easily likable. She has a complicated history that she has yet to discover and I was with her every step of the way as she uncovered more and more about herself. She was super strong and not in the phy
K.
Three words sum up my overall experience with The Shadow Society: I don't know. I didn't know what I was reading and I still am not quite sure. I do know that I didn't like it very much. The plot was uninteresting, the world building was lacking, and the characters were mediocre.

It's about Darcy, a foster child of many, always being returned to the system, always needing a place to belong. Finally she's found a place where she has a home, a school, and friends. The mystery to her is her past --
B
Want to win an ARC of The Shadow Society? Enter the giveaway on my blog and good luck!

Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

You know those books that you like, sometimes even really like, though you have no clue why? Those books that, for some reason, you can come up with quite a lot of reasons why you shouldn't like it, but when you are to come up with reasons why you do like it, you're pretty much at a loss for words? The Shadow Society is, for me, one of those books. I don't know why I like it. I sure cou
Savannah (Books With Bite)
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
can't begin to tell you how much I love this book. I wish more books like this were published more often, Finally a new idea, something that is not overdone and not copied!!! THANK GOD!

What I loved most about this book, if you have not guessed it by now, is the plot. This is a plot that is well done and beautifully written. It's heart-pounding, exciting, and just pure fun all together. In the story, Darcy is not who she thinks she is. She is something more and once that secret is out, Darcy is
Suzanne
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began the Shadow Society with some hesitation having seen bloggers, whose opinions I've really grown to appreciate, hadn't been very happy with it. I was aware of the cliched "new guy at school that girl can't stop obsessing over", but I felt that was something that wouldn't bother me, I'd be fine with that. Maybe low expectations paid off again, but this book was really for me. I was completely engrossed in it.

Darcy was abandoned outside a fire station when she was just five years old and ha
Gabi Graceffo
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
description

“Truth was like an exploding star: violent, glitteringly beautiful. Now that I had seen it, felt it, it was impossible to settle for anything less.”

3.75 STARS

Well, now I'm starting to wonder if my fear of fire just might be a sign of my Shady-ness (get it? ah-ha-ha-ha...ha...okay I'll stop with the shitty puns now, apologies) but since I'm about as olive-skinned as they come, I think I'm in the clear. But I'm sure you couldn't care less about my complexion and care at least a little about th
Sophia
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5

this book started out as a 2 and then worked its way up to a 3.5.
at first, i was unbelievably disappointed by how much i wasn't feeling this book because it's MARIE RUTKOSKI and she's a WRITING QUEEN (see: the winner's curse).
but the book definitely gets better as you go along.
loved the chemistry between darcy and conn (not at first, but as everything else in this book, it improved as time passed).
the writing is sadly a huge step down from the writing in the winner's curse. i suppose marie
Anna
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
The romance in this book got me. Maybe I was feeling extra sensitive and emotional whilst reading it, but I just found it plain adorable and actual tears did fall from my eyes at the cuteness. How embarrassing.

I loved Darcy and Conn, the two main characters. They had individual personalities, which were distinct and interesting. Darcy is genuinely funny and endearing, references Sherlock Holmes, loves T.S Eliot and is not constantly swooning and lusting. Seriously, all the YA I have been readin
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Read This Review & More Like It On My Blog!

So many good ideas and golden opportunities were wasted or ignored over the course this supernatural story set in Chicago. I had high hopes for this - I own the first two books in the author's Kronos Chronicles series and have been meaning to get to them for months - but The Shadow Society never lived up to its blurb and my expectations. Promising originality, suspense and intrigue, the book I read delivered nothing of the sort. Instead I got the same o
Arlene
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Let me first say that Marie Rutkoski, author of The Shadow Society, sure knows how to set the stage of her novel by starting off with a mother of all hooks. Holy fire hose was that intense!! She really had me from the opening scene, and continued to draw me into her novel with her constant twists and turns. This book had enough fuel to keep me turning the pages at a rapid pace until the final outcome. Very entertaining!

In The Shadow Society, we meet Darcy Jones who is a foster kid that’s jumped
Sylwia
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it

You know what I think about this book? I think it's a love letter to J. Alfred Prufrock. And good thing! Because the guy definitely needs some love.

I liked this book. The plot ran smoothly, the characters were nicely portrayed, the writing was lovely. Did I love it? Not really.

What I liked:
- Character development is on point in this one. In the first chapters Darcy was constantly getting on my nerves. She was naive, short-sighted, and basically a cliche, as Jims once pointed out. She w
Sandra
Aug 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA PNR readers
Recommended to Sandra by: Netgalley
I was pleasantly surprised at how well this book is written. The author avoids falling into the well-known tropes that permeate YA.

The book begins by introducing Darcy, an orphan with an unknown past, and the new boy at her school, Conn. For a moment, I thought we'd have another Twilight on our hands, what with the locking eyes and Darcy thinking about him constantly. Albeit, thankfully, the author avoids the YA trope of insta-love by making Darcy Conn's enemy, yet giving them time to get to kn
Miranda
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with how much I loved this book! I found the plot extremely interesting, and I wanted to learn more and more bout the world Marie Rutkoski created. The paranormal aspect of this book was nothing like I have ever read before, and I enjoyed every moment of it! My only complaint was that some of the scenes were a little slow, and some of the things that happened in the book were predictable. Other than those little things, I really enjoyed this book!

I loved the romance in
Nafiza
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Let's see. Unsettling love interest - someone who treats you with violence even once is not someone who should be a potential love interest. Unnecessary love triangle. There was no point to it at all. Cardboard characterization. I liked the friends, I did. Oh and three boys in love with one girl? Right. Okay. Review later.
Hurrikan Kathrina
Actual rating 3.8 stars

I picked this up, because I wanted more Marie Rutkoski after my Winner's Kiss hangover and was really interested in what else she's written. Parallel universes sounded great to me, and so I picked this up on a whim.

The first 70 pages or so, it had a serious High School vibe going, featuring a female MC that was bordering on being a special snowflake (always sarcastic, only wears black, artist, outsider and so different) but then spots a hot guy and instantly obsesses o
gio
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/3.75

Nice, but I expected more. The Shadow society is a fast paced and intriguing book but it lacks depth, especially the first half of the book.

What I liked:

1) World building: I liked the idea of an alternate world and how the Great Chicago Fire was related to it, and the concept of Shade was brilliant.

2) The writing: I truly love the author's writing style, it's fluid and elegant at the same time.

3) Secondary characters: I liked Darcy's group of friends and I wished they had a bigger role i
Isamlq
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shadow Society started off really well, with her saying a knife’s been thrown at her, with her describing this hot mysterious boy… and with her regretting meeting him all the same. Then it was less and less interesting mainly because (a) I’ve read a version of parts of this already, and (b) portions went unexplained.

To my first issue I begin with the buddies. I mean sure they’re an odd ball group of people. While not popular, it’s is in fact their oddness that keeps them from becoming the ones
Kate
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The first book I read from Marie Rutkoski was The Cabinet of Wonders and I instantly loved it. After reading that series I thought I would give another book from this author and I found The Shadow Society and again I liked it. In this story you will meet Darcy Jones who doesn’t remember anything before the day she was found outside a Chicago firehouse, she never felt like she belonged but never imagined she was from an alternate world. This story starts of as a normal day in school but a boy see ...more
Crystal Craig
I finished this book a few days ago but I'm just now getting to write my review. I don't read a lot of Young Adult books, however, this one was a Buddy Read in my book club, Sweeter Reads, and I thought the plot sounded fantastic. I'm so glad I read it. I loved every minute of it. And, now I'm going to recommend it to all of you.
Mara YA Mood Reader
Jun 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF around 140 pages. This started out decently although I wasn’t into the tropes (new and instantly popular boy at school gets paired up with quiet-not-so-popular-girl for a class project), angst and attraction ensue.

But the villains of the story just didn’t hold enough justification for their actions ( and yes, I’m aware that villains don’t typically need or have or seem to have justifiable reasons for their villainy but this....it holds no precedence).

Basically there’s this “shadow world” w
Adriana
Oct 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Shadow Society... I don't know where to start with this book. It's completely different than anything I've ever read. I've never had the pleasure of reading anything with dimensions and Shades. I won't tell you what Shades are because it would ruin all the mystery. I could not wrap my head around what was going on with Darcy and why Conn was interested and yet angry that she was walking around with her friends one day at school.

"Silly. I made myself drop the stylus to the table. You're acti
Sharon
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
More of my reviews @ www.obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

My rating: 3 1/2 out of 5 stars

Darcy Jones doesn’t remember anything before the day she was abandoned as a child outside a Chicago firehouse. She has never really belonged anywhere—but she couldn’t have guessed that she comes from an alternate world where the Great Chicago Fire didn’t happen and deadly creatures called Shades terrorize the human population.

Memories begin to haunt Darcy when a new boy arrives at her high school, and he makes
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 51

The Shadow Society is trying really hard to be voicey, funny first person. None of it's quite clicking for me, and the stereotypical paranormal romance opener is super unfortunate. The short story was more vibrant than fifty pages of the actual novel.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

The Shadow Society actually starts of with a bunch of clichéd and overused events and ideas. We have this new (hot) guy who's immediately interested in the odd girl. Then they become partners in some sort of project and spend a lot of time together...

But then the guy betrays the girl! And all hell breaks loose.
“How can you interpret the behavior of others when you're a mystery to yourself?”

Like I said, the novel was initially kind of common and boring. What I didn't mention was how
Aubrey
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such an amazing book!

First of all- I SHIPPED DARCEY AND CONN from like the first chapter. And even when he betrayed her and arrested her- I STILL shipped them!!
And sadly I shipped Orion and Darcey for like one page

• Hereafter (Hereafter, #1)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • Elegy (Hereafter #3)
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
  • The Stars Never Rise (The Stars Never Rise, #1)
  • Hexed (The Witch Hunter, #1)
  • Coffeehouse Angel
  • Death Sworn (Death Sworn, #1)
  • The Conspiracy of Us (The Conspiracy of Us, #1)
  • Lark Rising (Guardians of Tarnec, #1)
  • The Disturbance at Foxwood Court (Read by Candlelight, #10)
  • Boys that Bite (Blood Coven Vampire, #1)
  • Sky on Fire (Monument 14, #2)
  • 100 Cupboards  (100 Cupboards, #1)
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone, #2)
  • Mind Games (Mind Games, #1)
  • Bright Blaze of Magic (Black Blade, #3)
  • Watch Over Me
Marie Rutkoski is the New York Times bestselling author of The Winner's Trilogy, which begins with The Winner's Curse. She also wrote the YA novel The Shadow Society and the children's fantasy series The Kronos Chronicles, including The Cabinet of Wonders. Her next project is a YA duology set in the same world as The Winner's Curse. The first in this duology is called The Midnight Lie and will be ...more