Start by marking “Einzelschicksale (Star Trek: Aventine, #4)” as Want to Read:
Einzelschicksale (Star Trek: Aventine, #4)

Einzelschicksale

(Star Trek: Aventine #4)

Schatten am Horizont

Die verhängnisvollen Ereignisse in STAR TREK - DESTINY haben den bekannten Weltraum verwüstet. Ganze Welten sind gefallen. Leben sind zerstört worden. Und in den unruhigen Wochen, die diese Katastrophe folgen, werden die Überlebenden des Infernos weiterhin bis an die Grenzen der Belastbarkeit getrieben.

Doch seltsame und geheimnisvolle Vorkommnisse bring
Published 2010 by Amigo Grafik (first published February 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Einzelschicksale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Einzelschicksale

Start your review of Einzelschicksale (Star Trek: Aventine, #4)
Joe Robles
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I love about reading the Star Trek books, other than it solidifies my geekiness, is the serial nature of the books. Stand-alone books are fine, but I like stories that build on each other, and that the characters are affected by what happens to them in these stories. Essentially that these stories "matter".

The Destiny series was a really good series that not only gave us the origin story of the Borg, but brought the Borg story to an epic conclusion. And in keeping with the epi
C.T. Phipps
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Star Trek: A Singular Destiny is the epilogue of the Star Trek: Destiny saga. With over sixty billion sapients killed, entire worlds lit on fire, and half of Starfleet looking like Wolf 359--it's been a profoundly crap week for the Federation. Taking a novel to deal with the consequences of this immense devastation, the reactions to it, and the changes in the political landscape is an excellent move by the writers.

The best part of the novel is, in my humble opinion, the stories of people react
David
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
An excellent Star Trek novel! Twined between a series of snapshot vignettes and minor stories from across the Federation of post-Borg invasion of the Alpha Quadrant; the main story more than holds its own as a Mars university professor figures out a rising new threat.
Danie
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Ah, the good old days when you could pick up a Star Trek novel and just read it. Of course, you had to be familiar with whichever show it belonged to (The Next Generation, Original Series, Deep Space Nine, Voyager), but other than that, you were good to go. They were basically stand alone non-canon goodness. But then, they (Pocket, et. al.) started doing massive crossovers of all the serieses. But still, if you knew all the shows it was mostly okay, and you could go with the flow and they rehash ...more
Matt Hutson
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

By Keith R.A. DeCandido
Published in 2009

4 Stars
I don't know about you but I really do love Star Trek but I'm not a fanatic like some people out there that get into their full Klingon getup or paste on their Vulcan ears and go to Comicon. Not that it's wrong to do that. I've done it myself once or twice back when I was a teenager.

I didn't dress up though but I did get a chance to meet Nicelle Nichols who played Uhura in TOS. She's such a sweetheart and beautiful despite her age. I also met George
Kristen
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, 2009
I think this was a somewhat unusual Trek novel. At least, it was unusual for the Trek books I've read. Maybe some of the ones I missed were similar to this. But I really enjoyed this one. It was more political, more behind the scenes, or at least not focused entirely on Starfleet for once. I may have to go back and read Articles of the Federation, because I liked President Bacco in this book. I'd like to read more about her.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the troubles that happened after th
John Kirk
Jul 15, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This reminded me a bit of World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War: there were lots of short scenes showing how different people have reacted to these events. That's unusual for a Star Trek novel, but I'm ok with it.

The main plot moved things along by setting up the next Big Event, but that seemed to come out of nowhere. I don't mind it as a concept, but it wasn't a very satisfying pay-off. Also, when the Aventine was investigating a mining problem, I expected Ezri's prior experience (i.e.
Joy
Mar 16, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, unfinished
I was not impressed. I went into the book, expecting a lot and stopped about half way because I couldn't stand it anymore!
The book is more like short unconnected segments with little pieces of news stories and letters mixed it and it drove me nuts!
Not to mention, the only main people in the book are off the Aventine and they only appear sparsely. The other characters are completely new. They also have expected you to have read SCE books as well which I have not and was completely lost when I got
Christopher
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jess
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know what I love about this book and about Keith R.A. DeCandido's Star Trek books in general? for decades Star Trek on TV, in the movies, comics and novels all focused almost exclusively on the Starfleet perspective. Oh sure, DS9 and Voyager gave lip service with the occasional Kira, Quark or Neelix episode. But really... it was the Starfleet franchise.

Now for decades the reason the books and comics didn't do stories about civilians, or federation government, or TOS era Klingons as heroes ha
John
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a while to get through this book, due to a combination of a hectic life and the somewhat mundane nature of this novel. I soldiered on, though, and came away mostly satisfied. I have always found Keith DeCandido to be rather hit-or-miss; this novel actually landed somewhere in the middle.
The Federation and its allies are still recovering from the devastating Borg invasion we read about in the Destiny trilogy. A mysterious mine explosion occurs, a power known as the Kinshaya locks horns
Megan
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is obvious that DeCandido did a tremendous amount of research to make this book a treasure for fans. This is a testament to what it takes to pick up the pieces after a terrible tragedy, and that often by attempting to make progress, there are often people who get overlooked and mistreated.

On the surface, this book's sole major contribution is to introduce the Typhon Pact to the Star Trek lit-verse, however, it is at it's soul a character-driven story about coming home.

Well done and recommen
ROBERT RUDIN
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Review of A Singular Destiny

I gave 4 stars for this book because it was a little confused for me.
There were a number of different characters that I don't identify with ,because they were new to the forum of characters in the Star Trek universe.There are many different stories merged into one,and not enough of one to really get to know them,as the story goes from one place to another,and one person or group to another.
I don't know if I should recommend this book or not.
Joshua Tabor
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation of the Destiny series

Highly enjoyable, especially after how much I enjoyed the Destiny series. The characters are well thought out and the reactions hold true with Star Trek ideology. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has read that series and wants to learn about some of the fallout.
Preston Pendergraft
Really enjoyed the story, sets up things to come. I really hope the Prof Pran continues to show up in the Typhon Pact books. Also really enjoyed the interludes in each chapter.
Bookreader1972
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. Read this in 2013 or 14. Good conclusion to the Destiny trilogy.
Tony Pope
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty much a given...if it's a Star Trek novel...I'll like it...
Bradley
A pretty good Star trek novel. Not bad. =)
Yvette
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like all of this author’s Star Trek books, it was a joyful read. The characters were well developed. Humor and drama abound. In my top 5 (so far) of post nemesis novels.
Cindy Stephenson
Great storyline

The book was a very good continuation of the book I read 2 weeks ago and 2 books prior to this. Very good a must read
Travis
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this just because it was something SO unusual and unexpected given the format of the last 3 in the series.
Wes O'Dell
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicky2910
Star Trek: A Singular Destiny by Keith R. A. DeCandido Well, I just finished ASD and have to say that I really enjoyed it. But it is IMO rather a "filler" book that explains more or rather sets the scene than it actually contains a plot. But that's not a bad thing as it introduces new and interesting key players (I "like" those Kinshaya - well, it was about time that some kind of theocratical state appears in ST instead of just your random fundamentalist) and lets our protagonists take a deep br ...more
Mar 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you, Memory Beta, for helping me decide to abandon this book. Knowing which characters actually appear in the book and which ones are just mentioned in passing helped confirm that I had no interest in reading this book.

I appreciate the attempt to tell a different kind of "aftermath" story, but sometimes you can stray too far from the 'ol beaten path. (It's been worn down because it's a serviceable, even an enjoyable path to treat, after all.) Focusing a book largely around a brand-new orig
Maurice Jr.
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Professor Sonek Pran once advised Federation presidents, until President Min Zife's chief of staff Koll Azernal decided that he should be the only one with the President's ear and told him his services were no longer needed. Now President Bacco calls him back to service, and Professor Pran is glad to leave his teaching duties and return to his former calling.

He's asked to go talk to Empress Donatra of the Imperial Romulan State and convince her to open trade talks with the Romulan Star Empire, l
Jimyanni
Oct 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book is a well-written followup to the Star Trek: Destiny" trilogy; in spite of having a bit of the same problem that that series had (making no sense if you haven't been diligently keeping up with all of your Star Trek reading assignments) it manages to do a better job of being self-contained than those books did. It has an internal plot which more or less begins within its pages, even if the background setting will look unfamilair to any Star Trek fan who has NOT been staying on top of th ...more
Sharon
The Borg have come and gone, leaving destruction and chaos in the Alpha Quadrant. That story is told in David Mack's Destiny trilogy. Candido picks up the reigns to tell us about the political fall out of those events.

This is not your typical Star Fleet story. The only familiar 'Star Trek' characters we see are Captain Ezri Dax and the crew of the Aventine but I believe the contents of this book to be essential if a reader wishes to continue on in the over all reaching narrative of the literary
Luke
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed for TwoNerdsTalking at http://wp.me/p4Wvzn-YN

**Spoilers for Star Trek Destiny follow**

Described as a political thriller, A Singular Destiny follows the events of Star Trek Destiny and focuses on the aftermath of the Borg invasion and the effect it has had on the political, social and economical landscape of the Star Trek universe.

It's a unique book in that while it does have a common thread and character tying it all together, much of the book is written in the perspective of
D. Eric
Jul 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Note: this review is by SciFiChick.com. It says everything I would say and probably says it better:

Star Trek: A Singular Destiny follows the fallout from the events in the Star Trek: Destiny trilogy. The devastation from the Borg attacks encompasses the entire Federation and its allies. And as the Federation and Klingon Empire are stretched to their limits with refugee aide efforts, some are joining forces to take advantage. Professor Sonek Pran is asked to become an attaché for the Federation P
Lance Schonberg
A Singular Destiny is an odd sort of book. On the surface of things, it appears to be a follow up to the Destiny trilogy, but as you watch Sonek Pran, an odd and interesting character, piece together a mystery from seemingly unrelated clues, you eventually find out that it’s really the set up book for the next big crossover event, The Typhon Pact

I think I gave this story four stars not because it’s a great novel in and of itself, but because of what it followed. The Destiny trilogy rated a solid
« previous 1 3 next »

• Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Losing the Peace (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Over a Torrent Sea (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • The Struggle Within (Star Trek: Typhon Pact #5)
  • The Higher Frontier
  • The Eternal Tide (Star Trek: Voyager)

Star Trek: Aventine (7 books)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Brinkmanship (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #8)
  • A Ceremony of Losses (Star Trek: The Fall)

News & Interviews