Start by marking “Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2)

Under Wildwood

(Wildwood Chronicles #2)

For fans of the Chronicles of Narnia comes the second book in the Wildwood Chronicles, the New York Times bestselling fantasy adventure series by Colin Meloy, lead singer of the Decemberists, and Carson Ellis, acclaimed illustrator of The Mysterious Benedict Society.

The three books in the Wildwood Chronicles captivate readers with the wonder and thrill of a secret world wi
Published September 25th 2012 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Under Wildwood, please sign up.
Ta Hi Paige. It was called "The Sibley Guide to Birds."…more Hi Paige. It was called "The Sibley Guide to Birds."(less)
Cassandra It's a question feature. You can ask questions about the book.…moreIt's a question feature. You can ask questions about the book.(less)

Start your review of Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2)
Miranda Reads
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
description

Prue McKeel saved her brother, led Wildwood to freedom and fought her way back to the normal world.

But somehow, even though all she wanted to do was return to her parents...things just don't feel the same.
School holds no interest for her...her mind is constantly returning to the verdant groves and sky-tall trees of Wildwood...
Curtis, Prue's best friend, spends his time in bandit training in the I
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
THANK GOODNESS IT'S OVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why I kept reading. I normally take pride in giving up on a book I'm not enjoying. I am in charge of my reading life! I don't let guilt propel me! There are too many great books I'll never read to waste time on those I don't like.

Why did I keep on reading this one even though I was not enjoying it?
1. I enjoyed the first one. I assume it's going to be a trilogy and I like reading trilogies. 3 is the magic number!
2. I like the look and feel of the b
Congratulations, Colin Meloy, for producing a second installment that was noticeably better than the first!

A few months after Prue McKeel and Curtis Mehlberg entered the Impassible Wilderness to rescue Prue’s baby brother from an evil sorceress, life has returned to mostly normal for the McKeel family, although Prue is struggling in school and her parents don’t know why. The Mehlbergs have had no such luck. Curtis is still missing, and the parents are so desperate to find him that they flew to T
¸¸.•*¨*•♫ Mrs. Buttercup •*¨*•♫♪
“Sometimes, when the world is falling apart around you, all that's left to do is dance, right?”

When I finished reading the first book in this series, I wasn't very involved with it, and actually found it pretty dry. However, I recognized the talent of the author and thought the second book was worth a try. I am so glad I did! This might be one of those rare cases in which book number two in a series is actually better than the first one. Even though the characters and setting are pretty much th
Ingrid
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
My goodness Colin Meloy turned this series around! At the end of the last one, I was pleased. It seemed like a good, happy way to wrap things up (ignoring the fact that Curtis never went home. I didn't agree with that.) However, in this second book, he takes the book to a much darker level. People die. Hands are cut off. Both of these things I tend to appreciate in books.

Anyway, despite (or perhaps because of) the darker feel to this book, I really enjoyed it. It was exciting, it was unique, an
BookishStitcher
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5

A rare second book in the trilogy that is better than the first. This book benefited from having more characters than the first. This novel has beautiful pictures just like the previous. I thought this novel was a lot more interesting in it's plot as well.
Ashley
Sep 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hyped! Have to love any creation from the man (& woman) behind the magic, music, sound, artistry, etc, of the band the Decemberists !
(HS Indie Girl Throwbackkkk) <3

FYI Ew I hate how I sound rn lol

HAH- side note- I just realized I’m wearing a Decemberists shirt in my profile pic!(which is Present day, not back in hs lol).
😂. How freakin’ weird!!
Honest to goodness it’s purely coincidental haha. This prob seems waaaayyyyy more interesting to me than it does to you guys- I already truly want to apol
Jan
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series just keeps getting better. I honestly had to force myself to go to work this week. I just wanted to stay home so I could continue reading this story that I was so caught up in. Were Prue, Curtis, and the Children from the Unthank Orphanage ever going to get out of the very dire situations they had found themselves in? Would Curtis be able to find his way back to his bandit family? Would Prue be able to complete the seemingly insurmountable task she was given and be able to save Wildw ...more
Noa
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Just imagine being the lead singer of an awesome band and also being a great author and also having a wife who makes the most beautiful art for your books and albums and also living on the edge of a forest that is big and mysterious and beautiful enough to inspire several books. Yeah.
Sophie Crane
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-in-h-f
The whole family loves this book!! So amazing, the whole series is awesome!
Candace Jean
The overall feeling/aura/context of Under Wildwood matches it's cover: dark.

Dark places, dark emotion, and very dark verbiage. Meloy definitely took this story to depths not seen in the first book, and he approached bloodshed with zero fluff.

Somehow the entire 559 pages are spent merely aligning things for the third book, though a hearty amount of new characters are introduced and new places explored.

Unfortunately I was turned off almost immediately by WAY too many "hold ups" in the book.. mean
Sandy
Mar 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ugh. to be fair, I didn't finish the book. I couldn't make myself. The writing is just so overwrought. I got to one short section where a thicket of scotch broom was described as "rackety fauna" (shouldn't plants be flora?), a feathery texture was described as a goose-down pillow "giving up its dander" (dander is sloughed SKIN, has nothing to do with feathers), and douglas firs were described as "leafy". Seriously? Sorry, the story might be wonderful, but I could NOT get past the writing to enjo ...more
Sam
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-books
2.5

It's weird to be saying this, but I did not enjoy Under Wildwood as much as I did the first book. It just didn't capture me the same way, and while I didn't mind that this book was a little darker, it was lacking a spark that kept me wanting to read it every day. I did finish it, and while the prose is lovely and Prue was still a great protagonist, everything in terms of the story fell flat and didn't keep me engaged. Also, why did the moles speak in caps lock? That got really irritating afte
Lydia Therese
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didnt-finish
Stopped reading after of the Mystics said to "re-animate the true heir, the twice-died boy". I could tell there was going to be some creepy dark magic spells so I didn't finish. It wasn't the greatest book in the first place. I recommend Wildwood much more than Under Wildwood. ...more
Madeline Knight-Dixon
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is just as magical and intriguing as the first one. It continues the story of the world right on the edge of our world, but this time shows the grittier side of both. Children being used for free labor, assassins of some fanatic religious group, overcoming tyrannical leaders, abandoning your family to live the life you want and the consequences that come with that. I mean I can’t think of a young adult book that does ALL this at once besides this one.

My favorite part is still the illus
Domashita Romero
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm so upset that the next book doesn't come out until February. SO UPSET.

I recommend the audiobook, especially if you're a Decemberists fan. Nice to hear Colin's voice reading his own work!
Alec Longstreth
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked this one more than the first one. It ends with a bunch of different cliff hangers - looks like I gotta track down a copy of book three!
Alexandra
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Many intruiging stories woven into a masterpiece
Mevia
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's something about this series that brings me back for each book. I love them and hate them. They fascinate me and bore me at the same time. This book is over 500 pages and it took me almost a year to finish reading it once I had started. It's very descriptive and almost slow until suddenly it isn't. I felt that way about the first book as well. I had to make myself sit down to read it only to discover by the time I was done reading that day, I'd finished a good portion of the book.
This bo
Lula Notz
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved Under Wildwood. The beginning was a little slow but once I got further more and more characters were introduced and it got a lot better. I love how Colin Meloy also teaches you about plants in this book. If he describes what an area looks like he always adds a few of the plants growing there. You sort of grow to understand the similarities and differences between places by the different plants that grow there. I love this book, I think it is just as good as the first, which doesn’t happe ...more
Ellie Wyatt
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
i feel like this took me 28 years to read. these books are extremely long considering they are children’s books. and also prue is a major brat in this one and totally inconsiderate to her friend. those are my two issues with this book, but other than that, i enjoyed it. it’s a very creative story, just takes awhile to get through.
Catherine
Ms. Darla Thennis, olive skin, floral dashiki, stared on from behind a lectern at the front of the room. She adjusted her wire-rim glasses and smoothed her crow-black hair. She then silenced the class with a wave of her hand. "Your project, Prue?"...
"My dad," began Prue. "My dad threw it away."...
Ms. Thennis peered at Prue from above her glass. "Uncool, Prue," she said. "Deeply uncool."
"I'll let him know that," replied Prue. ...
Darla Thennis was from Eugene and clearly prided herself on being co
Lyddia Walters
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's a very well written story, I loved it. ...more
Tracy
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
This was a fun young kids story about the adventures of trying to save Wildwood. My favorite part was when Pru accidentally stepped on a mole and it yelled, “I’ve been smote!”. Of course she just moved and he was fine but that was funny.
Steve Sargent
Feb 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
With adjectives in front of nearly every noun, the book is especially fun to read aloud to a 9yr old. The second story, long developing as it is, in the series is clever and engaging.
Audra
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
I should have reread my review of the first one before buying the second. Geesh.

Once I started reading, I remembered a vague sense of not loving the series, but couldn't remember why. So, I kept reading. After about 300 pages, the "why" became clear.

In Middle Earth, Frodo undertakes an overwhelming odyssey, to save Middle Earth from a great evil: total domination and destruction by Sauron.
In Narnia, the four children, never before trained in battle, arm and prepare to fight a great evil: the Whi
Kelly Bunch
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This second installment in the Wildwood series was just as magical as the previous book. I had my doubts after finishing book one that I would enjoy book two as much as I did. The size was honestly daunting even to me.

This sense has kind of been niggling at the back of my mind while I've been reading it, like there was something off about it that I couldn't quite place. While I enjoyed the first book and enjoyed it's mood which to me was similar to Chronicles of Narnia in its magical atmosphere
Juushika
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Since the events in Wildwood, Prue has returned to the unfulfilling monotony of the Outside while Curtis trains with bandits in the Wood. But their lives are disrupted again, this time by an assassination attempt which sends them on a long quest to resurrect a ruler and save the Wood. Under Wildwood continues the stylistic traditions of its predecessor, but this is a darker book. Rambling and whimsical, lengthy but so diverse--exploring new areas of the map and introducing a number of new charac ...more
Hollowspine
Mar 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
3.5

The sequel to Wildwood takes place only a few months after the action of the first story. For Prue and Curtis however, it seems a lot longer. The story at first rotates between the two characters, Prue back in Portland living a dull life and daydreaming about her time in the IW. Curtis, on the other hand, has formed a new family among the Wildwood bandits.

Although I really enjoyed listening to Meloy's narration, I didn't enjoy Under Wildwood as much as the first book. It felt rushed at points
Megan
Nov 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Under Wildwood is the second recently released book in the Wildwood Chronicles a slated trilogy. I enjoyed the first book immensely, likening it to a contemporary Chronicles of Narnia but set in my own backyard of Portland, OR. It has a wonderful dark side I find so alluring in young adult literature, similar to Neal Gaiman. I wish I had reread the first book so it would have been a little fresher in my mind, it would have helped me jump into this book quicker. We again follow Prue on an adventu ...more

• The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #0)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Slightly Alarming Tale of the Whispering Wars (Kingdoms & Empires, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • Amulet Keepers (TombQuest, #2)
  • Valley of Kings (TombQuest, #3)
  • The Stone Warriors (TombQuest, #4)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Secret Keepers
  • Book of the Dead (TombQuest, #1)
  • The Apprentices (The Apothecary, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • After Lambana
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Hiwagang may Dalawang Mukha (Janus Sílang, #4)
  • Wounded Little Gods
  • Si Amapola sa 65 na Kabanata
  • The Boy With the Thorn in His Side
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Pitumpu't Pitong Púsong (Janus Sílang, #3)
See top shelves…
Colin Patrick Henry Meloy is the lead singer and songwriter for the Portland, Oregon folk-rock band The Decemberists. In addition to his vocal duties, he plays acoustic guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bouzouki, and percussion. As of 2005, Meloy has written a 100-page book on The Replacements' fourth album, "Let It Be," released as part of the 33⅓ series.

Meloy was born in Helena

Wildwood Chronicles (3 books)
  • Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #1)
  • Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)