Start by marking “Footsteps in Time (After Cilmeri #1)” as Want to Read:
Footsteps in Time (After Cilmeri #1)

Footsteps in Time

(After Cilmeri #1)

In December of 1282, English soldiers ambushed and murdered Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, the Prince of Wales. His death marked the end of Wales as an independent nation and the beginning of over seven hundred years under the English boot.

Footsteps in Time is the story of what might have happened had Llywelyn lived.

And what happens to the two teenagers who save him.

Footsteps
Published January 22nd 2011 by Sarah Woodbury

To ask other readers questions about Footsteps in Time, please sign up.

Kylie
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of history, time travel and a good, simple, clean story
Recommended to Kylie by: My Dad
Shelves: favorite-books
I love Wales.
I have been to Wales and I loved it. I did not stay there long, just two days on my trip around England, Ireland and Scotland but I fell in love while I was there. I also happen to love the concept of time travel, and I love good, simple, clean stories. Stories that you can pick up, get lost in, and have an intense desire to keep reading whenever you are forced to put the book down.
Footsteps in Time by Sarah Woodbury is one of those books.

When I was fifteen I was given The Dark Age
Zann
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: time-travel
I am having a love/hate relationship with this book. I'm on page 227 of 304 and I'm not sure if I want to finish it.

On the plus side:

#1 I've enjoyed the characters and their relationships to one another. I only wish that sort of thing had been explored more deeply.
#2 I also really liked the premise of the story.
#3 There were several times, after particular scenes, when I thought, "I love this book!"

On the minus side:

#1 In the previous book, point of view went back and forth between the two ma
Sharon
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
There's no denying that Sarah Woodbury did a great deal of research for Footsteps in Time. She has the time period well-defined, and describes medieval Welsh culture beautifully.

The book is well-written, for the most part, although at times it seems as though the book was originally composed in first-person and converted to third-person at a later date. There were also some continuity issues -- such as the family being alternately from Pennsylvania or Oregon, depending on which chapter you read.
Marie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've been trying to read this novel for some time now; the first chapter was painfully slow for me (due to necessary world building), and so it took several library check outs for me to actually get going with this book, the first in a series.

I'm so glad I stuck it out.

Set (almost entirely) in Medieval Wales, this is the story of siblings Anna and David, who time travel from 2013 to 1282, in the moment just prior to the (last native) Prince of Wales being killed by English soldiers. In this re-i
Debrac2014
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Satisfying read! I enjoy this mix of history with time travel!
Jennie
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
When I first learned the story of Llywelyn ap Gryffydd of Wales, I cried. Glad I was doing the reading for class at home! Sarah Woodbury creates an amazing what if tale, having Llywelyn survive the ambush on the field of Cilmeri. I'm only half way done but I really enjoy how she has taken this tragic story and turned it into beautiful tale of triumph! Can't wait to find out how she ends it. I really don't want Edward I to win in this fictional account.
Michell
Mar 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the characters and the possibility of changing history in an alternate universe. I found it very hard to put this one down, and wanted more when I did!
Lorraine
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who enjoy British history(Wales) & time-travel.
This is the first book in the After Cilmeri Series. Cilmeri was near the place where the last Prince of Wales from Wales was ambushed and killed by the English under Edward I of England, but in this time-travel series, Prince Llewellyn ap Gruffydd is saved by two teenagers from the 21st C, Anna and David. I enjoy time- travel books and I love British history and I am an avid Anglophile except right now I am quite a bit angry at Edward I - not a very honorable man in this book. Edward was quite t ...more
Marva
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: historical fiction, time travel
Recommended to Marva by: Kindle boards
A few gaffes don't ruin a book. I've changed the location and names of characters and inadvertently left a couple of the old names behind. Caught them eventually because of that newfangled search/replace feature on most word processors.

Other than that I really enjoyed this book. The history is obviously well done, and the writing is great overall.

I'd recommend it to anybody who likes historical. It even has a bit of romance, but I wouldn't put it in that subgenre.

Because of the Sarah's adherence
Anjanet Mort
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-fun
This is a fun romp of a read, easy and fun to get lost in.

If you are thinking about picking this up, I suggest reading Daughter of time first although it is not necessary.

I also think this is appropriate for teens . If you are thinking of this for a teen, I would have them read Daughter of Time as it is too romantically inclined.

I loved that this book is told by multiple different characters (in chronological order). After the switch in the second chapter to a different character, you know to lo
Jennette
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book has so much potential but it just didn't seem to reach it. I wanted to do like it. There were some moments that I really enjoyed it but others were I was so bored. I just didn't feel a connection to the characters. There was too much history not enough emotion. I agree with another review that said we were cheated out of 18 months of the romance between Math and Anna. Feel like the author really missed the opportunity to build the characters and build a connection between readers and t ...more
TONI
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Time travel handled tastefully with a great background in historical fiction and you have a winner. Footsteps in time takes you back to Wales and isn't afraid to make a few changes in history here and there - but no man waits for time and this book keeps you guessing on how, when and why the next decision will affect the heroines
Bluejay44
Jan 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed this book, though not quite as much as Daughters of Time. I am interested in that period of history, especially concerning Wales. Having lived there for a long time and also attended WEA courses with enthusiastic tutors, we visited many of the sites and so I can feel I am actually there with them.
Looking forward to starting Prince of Time.
Sandy
Jun 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm not at all sure how different reading this would have been if I hadn't read "daughter" first. I know it was written first, but I just can't imagine reading it first. This is the book that gets Anna and David into 13th century Wales, and saves prince Llewellyn, and starts the alternate history on its alternate track. Enjoyed it, want to keep reading!
Dianne
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, as well as the others in the series! If you are a historical fiction buff this series is for you. Wish there were more great reads like this out there.
Justine
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i just wanted more romance development between math and anna. is that too much to ask?
Yarntails
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Makes you think about what might have been it history could have been changed.
Elaine
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sarah-woodbury
I liked this one much better than the first one. Woodbury knows her history! Takes place in 13th century Wales. Time Travel Novel.
Pert
May 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun read, intriguing premise of an alternate world. I wish there had been more exploration of medieval life, but amusing.
Simone
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED it! Can't wait to buy Prince of Time!
Bailey Bristol
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: time travel afficianados
Sarah Woodbury's obvious understanding of the 12th Century Wales gives her book the setting that draws one in immediately.
Christy Hilmas
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sequel to Daughter of Time was very satisfying!
Fawn
Sep 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book! I liked the Characters, I liked the way the author did the time travel and I thought it was an enjoyable read. As soon as I finished I started book 2.
Pam Engman
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
okay,I am seriously not getting much done. I cant put these books down. She's terrific!
Ashley Nikole
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read the first book in this series (or rather, the prequel) and enjoyed it, though it felt rather low on the character interaction and high on political climate debates and battle skirmishes. I was hoping for more of a character-oriented second book, but alas, this one was even heavier on the politics and battle manoeuvres than the first. It's not that that's a problem, it's just that's a definite problem for me as a reader.
I thrive on well-executed scenes of human interaction, and I just did
Dawn Dorsey
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Celtic history buffs
Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, the last Welsh Prince of Wales, died in an English ambush at Cilmeri on December 11, 1282. This story is based on a what-if: what would have been the fate of Wales, had Llywelyn survived that battle. In this scenario, the Prince is saved by two modern teenagers from Pennsylvania, who come hurtling through a snow bank in a minivan, skidding sideways and backwards down the hillside through the battlefield, bouncing over men in armour and crashing into warhorses in their path. ...more
Melissa Williams
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about this book. I liked the premise, but it has too many holes. So much was unexplained so I had to make big leaps to move forward with the story. There is little character development beyond Anna & David themselves. I missed out on the building of relationships, Anna & Math, for example, because of the large time gap that skips their courtship. When part 2 starts it's clear that they have a connection, but I didn't feel it because I was excluded from that part of ...more
Alejandra
I have a serious problem with this series. On on side, I love the plot. The time/ dimension travel is interesting, how the travelers change history creating a new reality, the historic perspective itself... I want to know what happens next.
But... the characters feel flat, even though they develop and grow as they adapt to their new reality, they have a lot of potential in the way they are designed, and the relationships could be great. I want to love the characters, specially David, but
Bethany Swafford
Jun 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Two teenagers get thrown through time to the year 1282. There, they save the life of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, the Prince of Wales. This is what happens to them next.

After reading the prequel story, I was really looking forward to how Anna and David react to being in the past. Honestly, though, I found myself disappointed. David fits in without any trouble. Anna was pushed to the side, in my opinion, so that her brother could shine perfectly.

Large amounts of time are skipped over, such as Anna's cou
Abi
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I bought this book immediately after reading the prequel (read that if you haven't because you gain a lot of important context and it adds tons to the experience). I liked David and Anna, although I wish Anna had had more interesting things happen to her, and done more stuff in general. David was a cool character, and I do want to read more about him. I was really happy in part two, for Meg and Llewellyn - that was cute! I liked the cover for book one better, and I wish the book were slightly mo ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Beginning (McKinnon Legends, #1 )
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant #1)
  • A Knight in Central Park
  • Together Forever Across Time (Train Through Time, #2)
  • A Conall Christmas (Morna's Legacy, #2.5)
  • Circles in Time
  • Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1)
  • Time-Kissed Destiny
  • Aching for Always
  • The Ruby Brooch (Celtic Brooch #1)
  • Forever His (Stolen Brides, #1)
  • Not Without Juliet
  • Aura
  • The Passionate Brood
  • When There is Hope
  • Phantom in Time
  • Nation of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #2)
  • Everything in Its Time (Time After Time #1)
With two historian parents, Sarah couldn’t help but develop an interest in the past. She went on to get more than enough education herself (in anthropology) and began writing fiction when the stories in her head overflowed and demanded she let them out. While her ancestry is Welsh, she only visited Wales for the first time while in college. She has been in love with the country, language, and peop ...more

After Cilmeri (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Prince of Time (After Cilmeri #2)
  • Crossroads in Time (After Cilmeri, #3)
  • Children of Time (After Cilmeri #4)
  • Exiles in Time (After Cilmeri, # 5)
  • Castaways in Time (After Cilmeri, #6)
  • Ashes of Time (After Cilmeri, #7)
  • Warden of Time (After Cilmeri, #8)
  • Guardians of Time (After Cilmeri, #9)
  • Masters of Time (After Cilmeri, #10)
  • Outpost in Time (After Cilmeri #11)
“This day, however, was a special day. Everyone had breakfasted on the remains of the Christmas feast, and now the boys, along with a dozen noblemen and Prince Llywelyn, were going to hunt boar, apparently a tradition the day after Christmas. Anna’s comment when she’d heard about it resounded in David’s ears: That sounds about right. Good will and peace to all men, and now, let’s kill a giant pig!” 0 likes