Start by marking “Face-Off” as Want to Read:
Face-Off

Face-Off

(Encounters #15)

These three couples are skating on thin ice!"Ice Time"

Newly retired NHL hockey player Jarrad McBride's life seems permanently sidelined. But maybe sexy schoolteacher Sierra Janssen is just the woman to get him back in play....

"In The Sin Bin"

Samantha McBride was good and over firefighter Greg Olsen. But when an unexpected reunion sends l
Published February 15th 2011 by Harlequin (first published February 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Face-Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face-Off

Auntee
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of sports romance
I loved this 3 story sports romance centering on the hockey-playing McBride family. It was well written, fast paced, had just enough detail, and some sweet heat in all three stories.

Ice Time features newly retired 35 year-old, ruggedly handsome NHL star Jarrad McBride. Due to an on-ice body check that rattled his brains and left him with no peripheral vision, Jarrad was forced to give up the sport he loved and wasn't yet ready to leave. Recently divorced from a high-profile swimsuit model and/>Ice
Karen
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, sport
Three novellas centred around hockey & the McBride siblings. Relationships developed or redeveloped at speed.

First both burned & wary, No. 2 second chance and last a little professional snobbery & a young woman starting to rebel, craving a personal life.

They are heartwarming, sweet, show humour & vulnerability while describing slamming bodys intwined.

Great light read.
Dee
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read in "Game On" box set.

Two-haiku review:

Vancouver setting
Three siblings, three novellas
Hockey related

Three great short stories
Thought I wouldn't like this one
But I did, a lot
Debbie
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
The characters in this book were 2 hockey playing brothers and their attorney sister. An anthology of 3 stories, each one kind of picking up where the other one left off, one sibling the main character in each story.

While the characters themselves were likable, the stories were rushed and lacking. There was plenty of steam in them, but it happened unbelievably fast, and the relationships between each couple felt rushed and kind of unbelievable.

I would have enjoyed this much more as a trilogy-
Dippy (A book a day keeps reality away)
The first story had insta-love, a trope I can barely stand. Still, I pushed through it and finished the story only to stumble into my next most hated trope- miscommunication. I don't have patience for such stories where the h-H go round and round in circles because they are too chicken to talk about their feelings. I gave up midway through the second story.

So, ba-bye book. I'm not even sure why I picked this up in the first place, seeing that it is a Harlequin and the name itself is
Beth
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hockey-romance, nook
A collection of three stories, each one has a McBride sibling as one of the MCs. I’d call his hockey-adjacent rather than hockey romance, as there is almost no actual hockey involved. The first story was the best of the three. The other two were kinda meh, both had unexplained time gaps or timeline flubs, which drive me crazy. The third one has a very similar plot to the Cutting Edge movie, if that’s your thing. Overall, just meh.
Lara
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2018
Three short stories make up this book, each sibling getting their HEA. I just didn't care about any of them as there wasn't enough time to get to know any of the characters very well. Reading this one dragged on too long for such a short book.
Kimberly
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I was a little disappointed in this one. Glossing over the one time, Woobie Contemporary Author crown endangering use of the word "turgid" (it has multiple meanings, none of them sexy, please stop using it), the stories in this anthology were too short to get to know the characters enough to really care. On top of that the tension is resolved before it has time to build. I would have rather have coughed up money for three separate books and got the whole story.

As always in Nancy Warr
Christine
3 short stories involving siblings.

1st story involved a pro hockey player who suffered a career ending injury and is now at loose ends, not sure what he wants to do.

2nd story is the sister to the hockey player. She is a lawyer who had a huge misunderstanding with her high school boyfriend before leaving for college. He is a cop and plays on a local hockey team. She has to decide if she wants to revisit the past.

3rd story is the youngest brother who has been tr
Mombo
I always applaud the Harlequin writers who write a great story in 224 pages or less so it's amazing to me that NW can write three great stories in an anthology of the same length!

My favourite story was Jarrad's in Ice Time as he hooks up with the simple but smart and sexy schoolteacher Sierra. In continuity stories you may sometimes need a memory jog to remember who's who but because the McBride sibling stories are all in one anthology, you have no problems keeping track.

All three s
Ann Lorz
Mar 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
Let see this book has two hockey players and a cop. Do I need to say more? I've alway enjoy Nancy Warrens book and this is no different. The only complaint I have is that each story was to short. I needed more. I would have to say that my favorite of the three stories was Ice Time, Jarrad and Sierra's story. Not to say the others weren't good but you know how it is when you read trilogies there's always one that's your favorite.
Natalija
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: category, hockey
Despite my obvious love for "Harlequin Romance" line, sometimes I'm in need of more sensuous read. Something where women make bold moves and men are more rough around the edges. "Blaze" has it all and even more.
"Face-Off" was the perfect combination of romance, humor & sensuality. The characters were amazing! You gotta love hot, hunky & larger that life hockey players and their petite women. I highly recommend this wonderful 3-stories-in-one book featuring 3 McBride siblings.
Dawn ♥ romance
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Three fun hockey stories about siblings and although they were each short and steamy I still felt the romance in all of them. 1) Jarrad newly retired from NHL notices Sierra in the rink barely able to skate. 2) Samantha never really got over her childhood love for Greg. 3) Figure skater Becky is paired with NHL rookie Taylor for charity event.
Gail
A trio of novellas about siblings connected with hockey. Two brothers in the NHL and their knowledgeable sister, whose old high school flame is a cop who plays hockey. The conflict is minimal, since there's not a lot of room for conflict resolution, and the relationships heat up quickly since this Is a Blaze, after all. It was an enjoyable read.
Fedora
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very cute trio of stories about siblings who skate or who fall in love with skaters. Ms. Warren does a lovely job of packing the stories into so few words, although I did want a little more at the end :)
Netanella
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: blaze, sports-romance
Three short stories about the McBride siblings - two hockey brothers and a lawyer sister. I particularly loved the first story, about the older brother forced to retire due to injury and falling for the local elementary school when he returns back home to Vancouver.
Tressa
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Face-Off consisted of three intertwined short stories about three Canadian siblings, which I liked. I also liked how the siblings were all connected to hockey in some manner. I did wish that the stories were long, but the stories were delightful and I had a wonderful time reading them.
Gail
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
three fun easy to read short stories.
Julianna
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked all of the stories. short but sweet, but i do have to say that the first one is my favorite.
Dinjolina
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This would have been a full 5 star read if the stories were not so choppy and finished without notice.
Deb
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cute book with three short, sweet stories. No angst, just sweet stories with happy endings.
Suzanne
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Three novellas following the lives of siblings. The plots of each read more like promising outlines for single titles and should have been developed as such.
Lou Anne
Sep 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Lora J.
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ready for another about all these couples good read for me thx
Renu r  singh
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
one and a half stars.... i usually like nancy warren books but this one i just didnt like.... it felt like a chore to finish it off, not a feeling i enjoy when i read novels
Deb
Cee
Jan 08, 2012
Katie B
Jul 23, 2011

• Her Man Advantage (Double Overtime, #2)
  • The Rebel
  • Boys of Summer
  • Hard and Fast
  • Time Out
  • SEALed with a Kiss (Harlequin Blaze, #589)
  • Able-Bodied (Uniformly Hot!, #2)
  • Ripped!
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Riding the Waves
  • Her Last Line of Defense (Uniformly Hot!, #9)
  • Christmas Male (Uniformly Hot!, #12)
  • Night Maneuvers
Nancy Warren is the USA Today bestselling author of more than fifty novels.

She’s known for writing funny, sexy and suspenseful tales. She calls Vancouver, Canada home though she tends to wander. She’s an avid hiker, animal lover, wine drinker and chocolate fiend. Favorite moments in her career include being featured on the front page of the New York Times when she launched Harlequin’s NASCAR seri

Encounters (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • One Wild Wedding Night (Santori Stories, #6)
  • Undressed (Harlequin Blaze, #473)
  • Sliding into Home (Harlequin Blaze, #486)
  • Texas Heat (Harlequin Blaze, #491)
  • Seduction by the Book
  • More Blazing Bedtime Stories
  • Sexy Ms. Takes (Harlequin Blaze, #516)
  • His Little Black Book
  • Just Fooling Around: Darcy's Dark Day/Reg's Rescue\Cam's Catastrophe/Devon's Dilemma (Harlequin Blaze, #531)
  • 3 Seductions and a Wedding