Start by marking “How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew” as Want to Read:
How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew

How to Build a Fire: And Other Handy Things Your Grandfather Knew

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  340 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A HANDY GUIDE FULL OF HOW-TO TIPS AND SAGE ADVICE FROM GRANDFATHERS

As members of the Greatest Generation, our grandfathers were not only defined by the Depression but also by their heroic service to the country in World War II. Courageous, responsible, and involved, they understand sacrifice, hard work, and how to do whatever is necessary to take care of their loved one
Published November 24th 2010 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about How to Build a Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Build a Fire

Gospodyina
Since I read it at the gym, I can confidently state it took less than 4 hours to read: two on a recumbent bike, less than two on a treadmill.

It's cute. The task-based how-tos are quite brief, obviously, since it's possible to write an entire book about any one of them, but the more esoteric how-tos were the ones I really enjoyed: how to be a friend, apologize, be brave, etc.

I'm interested in reading the other one, How to Sew a Button, and I suspect both would be suitable gifts for teens. Ha! Now
Kathleen
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: benicia, 2011
Handy, indeed, and fun to read; I never intended to actually finish it, it was brought home from the library by somebody else and found its way into my hands. The actual grandfatherly advice takes the form of a short quote at the start of each instruction whether it be for consoling a loved one or shopping for a car. I'll be looking for the grandmother version and intend to read that as well. This would make a decent gift for just about anyone.
Kristi
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This has information on just about EVERYTHING!! While it does seem to be slanted towards males, the skills inside the book are definitely ones everyone should know (changing a tire, buying meat, starting a fire, etc.). This is a book I come back to again and again to learn/remember new skills. Plus, its humorous and sarcastic in many places (as well as simplistic)!
Manda
Nomadic SA Chick's Book Reviews

Review
I have always been a tomboy, playing in the dirt, climbing corn cribs, and running through the pastures. Growing up, I was happy to hang out with father and grandfather in the fields or in the tractors. Following them around as they did chores and helping them out however I could. I also played with my Barbies, and they helped out on the farm as well. Some days, my dolls came home dirtier than I did. My mom wasn't as thrilled about this as I was, but I thin
Stacy
Jan 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation and the Boy Scout Handbook had a baby, it would be this book. Nice grandfathers, simple advice from their lives and some humor that just tried too hard. Cute book to read while waiting at appointments or while killing time at an airport but nothing you would buy with intentions to use as an advice book.
Brianne
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers, young men, men, sons of single mothers
Shelves: how-to
I really think that every teenage male (or, heck, female) should be given this book upon hitting puberty. This stuff should be taught in a high school class. Some of the advice is a tad bit clichéd, kind of "Well, duh" instead of any real insider advice or anything in-depth, but it's a great starter skill set for the well-rounded young man.
Weston
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I didn't read the entire thing, as it isn't so much a 'read through' type book. But I skimmed through most of it, and read the portions that I considered interesting / useful. I think it will be a good reference book though.
Margie
May 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Margie by: Bas Bleu
Shelves: nonfiction-other
Covers a lot of subjects, though it could have gone more in-depth with any of them. Good enough that I'm considering buying a copy for a certain nephew about to start college.
Cindy
Stuff everyone should know.
Kayla
Jul 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this after reading "how to sew a button" - the version of this book for females- and found this version extremely offensive. Maybe I should have found the other one offensive.

The male version contains all kinds of useful information about how to do well at work, how to provide for your family, how to be a role model, etc.

The female version contains tips and tricks on cleaning your house, saving money, and hosting parties.

I found the male version more applicable and useful to my life as
  • Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive
  • Niubi!: The Real Chinese You Were Never Taught in School
  • Bardisms: Shakespeare for All Occasions
  • 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive
  • mental floss presents Instant Knowledge (Collins Gem)
  • How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times
  • Country Living Simple Country Wisdom: 501 Old-Fashioned Ideas to Simplify Your Life
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • DIY Projects for the Self-Sufficient Homeowner: 25 Ways to Build a Self-Reliant Lifestyle
  • Anonyponymous: The Forgotten People behind Everyday Words
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word For It
  • The Complete Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Man Skills
  • Home Economics: Vintage Advice and Practical Science for the 21st-Century Household
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival