Start by marking “Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  15,353 Ratings  ·  322 Reviews
Here is the bestselling guide that created a new game plan for marketing in high-tech industries. "Crossing the Chasm" has become the bible for bringing cutting-edge products to progressively larger markets. This edition provides new insights into the realities of high-tech marketing, with special emphasis on the Internet. It's essential reading for anyone with a stake in ...more
Published March 17th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published November 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Crossing the Chasm, please sign up.

Recent Questions

Jeff Kinsey
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 2003 I reached a simple conclusion: I knew nothing about Marketing. Having created a Marketing company during college (after owning several businesses and spending more than a year selling advertising for a newspaper) with paying customers and everything!

So, I immersed myself in learning everything possible about Marketing in the context of small privately held firms. After seven years, I can honestly say that I now know nothing about Marketing... except that I know more than 99% of the peopl
Charles Ames
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. This book lays out the mechanics of formulating and evolving a marketing strategy by exploring an extreme boundary case: introducing a fundamentally new product to the marketplace. The principles are relevant to all businesses everywhere. However, it would be wrong to view this book as a simple roadmap, because it is very hard to know where on the map you're starting. Do you really have something that will be regarded as a "disruptively innovative pro ...more
Milhouse Van Houten
good one..
must read!!

Read and enjoy:)
Michael Karpov
Nov 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: product
инновациями, прерывающими привычный порядок вещей, илипрерывающими инновациями. Противоположный термин — инновации, не прерывающие привычный порядок вещей, илинепрерывающие инновации — относится к обычной модернизации продуктов, не требующей изменений

[image error]

Первый разрыв — между новаторами и ранними последователями. Этот разрыв возникает, когда продукт новейшей технологии не может быть сразу же использован как нечто не только принципиально новое, но и существенно полезное, расширяющее наш
Neelesh Marik
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is certainly one of the most insightful business books i have ever read. It is of biblical importance to anyone in the technology business, especially operating in a B2B scenario.

Apart from a cogent theoretical framework, it provides high practical, and actionable advice on how to move from one segment to the next in a technology adoption life cycle. It has certainly shown me the wrong assumptions we have made in our own business, and why.

The book helps consultants create a concrete service
Cameron
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every MBA that I know has since told me that this is a classic, and I can see why. I never knew where the concept of early adopters and the technology adoption life cycle came from. The book is well written, has a compelling concept -- the "chasm" that must be crossed from visionaries and innovators to mainstream use in tech companies and that this crossing requires completely different techniques and types of people -- and is SHORT. I love short business books.

Thanks to Will, my sculptor/altern
Boris
It's a classic... and the point it makes is solid (more or less, that the skills needed to make an innovative product for early adopters are very different from those to make a mass market whole product).

That said it's very dated, and most of the advice pertains to large products. The paradigm it establishes has no room for crowdfunding, or for companies like 37signals that don't hardsell anyone. It's a very sales-driven viewpoint on things for a corporate world that's very focused on the bottom
Will
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lots and lots of opinions, directions, and instructions with very few reasons and evidence (let alone science) to back it up. The stories and anecdotes that are mentioned to back up points are cherry picked. Research on the credibility, track record, and net worth of the author only made my skepticism increase.
I cant say his directions are wrong. But I wasn't convinced they were right.
I'm sure many other people have failed to even consider these components before rushing to implement on his ad
Maurício Linhares
So, product development!

I wasn't really sure if this was going to be for me (and the latest edition is form 1998, so, it might have been a bit dated) but this was actually a great surprise. The idea of the chasms when marketing products, specially in tech, really resonates with what happens in the market and we can compile a huge list of companies and products that have died somewhere along the way while trying to cross one of the chasms to become a mainstream product.

The book defines markets as
Viral Shah
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this a great fundamentals book for any technologist or product manager (not mutually exclusive) to read. There are some really evergreen pointers on developing markets, product positioning and more. It's clear that a lot of product strategy books drew inspiration from Crossing the Chasm. One drawback is that there are some outdated references and examples, but most are still relevant.
Beam Pattadon
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[Summary] Successfully getting lead users is different from successfully entering mainstream market.

Traditional technological product adoption cycle has a huge flaw on its premise. It assumes that the adoption of the product will automatically diffuse from early users (technologist and visionary users) to followers (early majority, late majority, and laggard). In fact, we should concern about the different set of paradigm in which we use to attract and communicate with both group. Early users w
Adrian
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives a fresh and powerful set of tools to help navigate the stages of product life, as well as covering honestly some of the hard decisions that must be made. A great book for those interested in making their technology sustainable and more than just a passing fad.

These are among the dozens of passages of greatest interest and value to me:

Page 8 Most important lesson of crossing the chasm
Page 25 discovering the chasm
Page 39 last paragraph, what technology enthusiast want
Page 49 last
Ash Moran
This completely changed my understanding about marketing.

The principle is that the buying needs of technical visionaries and the early mainstream markets are different. The former are prepared to take risks with innovative technology in the search for breakthrough improvements; the latter expect an established, whole product proven in use by people they can reference. The "chasm" is the Catch-22 situation of needing an existing mainstream customer base before mainstream customers will buy one.

Th
Nathanael
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I began this book exploring a product to launch and finished it working in the business services industry. This juxtaposition helped me make sense of Moore's analysis and see its limitations.

For high-tech, or most new products, Moore is spot on. There is an adoption curve and the key challenge for success in these kinds of ventures is moving from early adopters to the mainstream. His strategy (summed as 'focus') is the way to conquer this challenge.

For services, I'm not as sure. My business is d
Dan W
Mar 13, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An oldie but a goodie. This manual in the pains of starting a new business. My favorite passage, which I believe is the intro, is where the author describes his glee to be on the other side of start-up life with real money in the bank, and how knowing what he knows now he would never want to do it again. But, from the safety of his new home he's willing to share some actual lessons from his start up life in the fitful infancy of the internet industry.

That said, there are interspersed with bits o
Yash Savani
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Less than 20 years ago, shorter than many of your lifetimes, nobody had heard of Google or Facebook. Few dreamed of where Apple, Microsoft or Amazon would be today. Today, these are some of the biggest names of the tech industry, in fact, they are some of the biggest names in any industry. How have these companies grown with such an expedited rate? How in the span of a teenagers life can Facebook have captured a market of over 1.9 billion people? While Crossing the Chasm is a book dedicated to B ...more
Lech Kaniuk
May 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book gives understanding and tools how to go beyond early adopters to mainstream customers and the big growth. The perspective in the book is the startup's. But knowing these things helps established enterprises to fight back new entrance.

It's one of those must reads for entrepreneurs and investors. Valuable for founders, investors, marketing, sales and finance people. One of those books worth going back to once in a while.
Tien Phat Nguyen
Excellent book on how to move from an early market to conquer the mainstream market, in which the majority of profit resides. However there are points that can be made clearer or easier to understand for people without a marketing background.

Overally, this is a classic book on this topic. Probably the latest edition is updated to provide clearer explanation, as the version that I read is the revised version from the first edition.
Parker
Jun 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the way Moore breaks down the hi-tech adoption curve- the step by step process of taking a disruptive technology to market is impressive and useful.
I liked the analogy of D-Day to entering the early majority segment, and also the characterization of each segment based on what conditions must be met for them to buy.
It's an intricate book though- took me months to get through and it's only a few pages...
Daniel Aguilar
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business, marketing
Very interesting cover for a topic I know so little about... Only downside is that I bought an older edition, and hence some arguments and example look quite dated. Will read the new edition which should be updated with the market rupture of the internet society, but even these older editions are remarkable, providing a very clear model of the high-tech industry.
David MacIver
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thanks
Lovely book that very clearly articulates its plan for how to build a successful business in high tech business.

I'm not yet at the stage where I can directly apply its advice (I'm massively pre chasm right now), but it's given me a lot to think about and I'm definitely going to reread it in 6 months or so.
Kurt Gielen
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far one of the most essential marketing books when you are in high tech marketing!
If you want to learn why marketing to early adopters is completely (yes, completely) different than to the early majority, than this book is all you need.
The chasm exists people and it can be one hell of a trap if you don't know how to cross it.
Ahmed Korayem
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Very instructive book !! There's a lot to learn from it !!! Wish there were more emphasis on tactics and strategies in early market as this corresponds to the status of the product i am currently working on. This may have required a book named "Reaching the chasm" !! Hopefully when i read again when i reach the chasm i'll get more benefits from its secrets !!
Nast Marrero
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marketing, business
Crossing the chasm is a must read for high tech go-to-market. The basic ideas of this book have penetrated the startup culture, yet the details and craft with which Moore breaks down the issue is fairly unknown to the general public.

This book should be a mandatory read for anyone involved in Innovation.
Amin Delshad
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Even though it's quite outdated in its case studies, the principles hold still. I'm not sure how much of the ideas were original in 1991, but most of them are basic understandings of the market environment these days.
Jenifer
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 - even this "updated" version is a bit dated. For any professional involved in change management or in facilitating adaptation to new programs, software or policies, Crossing the Chasm is fraught with real-life and sound business practices.
Igor Artamonov
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book can tell you the ways to start you your startup, how to sell, how to grow, how to choose right niche, etc.
Suhail Pothigara
What a classic - amazingly relavent with startups trying take their products to the mass market.
Humphrey
How to think about your product or service in terms of customers needs, wants and pain. How to think about each stage of growing a startup and what is needed to reach each group.
Manny Johnson
Too much talking to get a few points across. Ended up skimming the book to get a few key points.
marketing 1 1 Aug 13, 2017 10:42PM
marketing 1 1 Aug 13, 2017 10:02PM
Brother Printer Customer 18882690130 Service Number 1 2 Aug 21, 2016 11:50PM
1-888-269-0130 Gmail Account Recovery Number 1 1 Aug 18, 2016 11:29PM
Hotmail Account Recovery Number 1-888-269-0130 1 1 Aug 16, 2016 11:22PM
CPM Marketing for Beginners! 1 4 Feb 09, 2016 06:23PM
  • The Four Steps to the Epiphany: Successful Strategies for Startups That Win
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide to Customer Development: A Cheat Sheet to the Four Steps to the Epiphany
  • Getting to Plan B: Breaking Through to a Better Business Model
  • Rules For Revolutionaries: The Capitalist Manifesto for Creating and Marketing New Products and Services
  • The Innovator's Solution: Creating and Sustaining Successful Growth
  • Out of the Crisis
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Lucky or Smart?: Secrets to an Entrepreneurial Life
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • The Founder′s Dilemmas - Anticipating and Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Sink a Startup (The Kauffman Foundation Series on Innovation and Entrepreneurship)
  • Experience Economy: Work is Theatre & Every Business a Stage
  • Toyota Production System: Beyond large-scale production
  • Business Model Generation
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Connected Company
  • Inbound Marketing: Get Found Using Google, Social Media, and Blogs
Geoffrey Moore is an author, speaker, and advisor who splits his consulting time between start-up companies in the Mohr Davidow portfolio and established high-tech enterprises, most recently including Salesforce, Microsoft, Intel, Box, Aruba, Cognizant, and Rackspace.

Moore’s life’s work has focused on the market dynamics surrounding disruptive innovations. His first book, Crossing the Chasm, focus
More about Geoffrey A. Moore...

“The Bots are taking over” 3 likes
“pragmatists are more interested in the market’s response to a product than in the product itself. What” 2 likes