Start by marking “The Making of a Royal Romance: William, Kate, and Harry--A Look Behind the Palace Walls” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  434 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
William and Harry was an overnight sensation when it was published a week before Prince William and Kate Middleton's engagement announcement in November 2010. Now the author, a royal insider and the royal correspondent for the Daily Mail, has updated and added crucial material that completes the story of the fairytale romance. In addition to providing fascinating insight i ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 25th 2011 by Tantor Media (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of a Royal Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of a Royal Romance

Angie
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes..... I'm fueling my obsession.
David Fulmer
This is a biography of Prince William and Prince Harry revised to include details about Catherine Middleton and her relationship with Prince William. It’s packed with all sorts of details about their youth, school days and time in the military including, but also going beyond, the familiar stories of their excesses which have appeared in tabloids. Author Katie Nicholl is the Royal Correspondent for a British newspaper who, after covering him for more than ten years, has found William to be a ‘se ...more
Susan Mann
I found this book very irritating as the title gave the impression this was soley about William and Kate, but although very interesting most of the book was based on Harry and William and their history to the present it touched on their father's romance , it spent a long time describing Harry's love life and William's past assignations.

The book gave the background to William's mistrust of the media and highlighted the very loyal relaitionship between the brothers. the wild side of both princes w
Kathleen Hagen
The Making of a Royal Romance: William, Kate, Harry, a Look Behind the Palace Walls, by Katie Micholl, narrated by Justine Eyre, produced by Tantor Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the story of the Princes William and Harry with the backstory of their parents thrown in. It details the relationship of William and Kate, nine years together before he popped the question. The author reveals that in 2005, Prince William promised Kate that she was “the one” and that when he finished military
Pinky
Aug 29, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-11
Had to go back over William and Harry after starting The Making of a Royal Romance by Katie Nicholl, realizing they were essentially the same book, just revised and expanded (new photographs? I guess there were two new chapters, but I really didn't notice). A clear, even-handed portrait of what it is like for young royals trying to live a normal life. I really like both William and Harry Wales and their girlfriends Kate and Chelsea. V. amusing descriptions of the Glossy Posse's nightclub antics ...more
Angel
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started this book a long time ago - like years ago - and then set it aside to read something else and never returned to it. Since it was still on my currently reading list, I decided to go ahead and finish it.

The book was pretty boring. I didn't feel like it revealed anything the average person doesn't already know from only sort of paying attention to the news. I don't read celebrity magazines or anything like that, and I still felt like I knew most of this. I also felt like a lot of this was
Katherine
Although this book indicates it is about William and Kate in reality it is a book about William and Harry that has had some extra stuff about Kate added into it.

It is a good read but some of the information is a little bit difficult to believe.

I thought Kate came out looking like a woman who was desperate for a prince as a husband and therefore rather shallow. While the media certainly portrayed that image of her prior to her engagement the fact that she got a good degree at University must mea
Tanya
Jun 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books
Downloaded this book to my iPod while on vacation. It was interesting to hear about how the boys grew up - much more about that than just the romance of Kate Middleton & Prince William. I wouldn't have picked it up had I not had a lot of free time and it was a quick and enjoyable listen. I don't know if fans of the Royals would enjoy it or already know all of this information, so not sure who I'd be recommending the book to. Obviously if you don't care a whit about the royal family, this boo ...more
Avery Watkins
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED listening to this book. I didn't know quite this much about the British monarchy - it was very educational. It's not just about Will & Kate, it starts with Charles & Diana and progresses chronologically. It gives lots of information about Harry & William, then picks Kate up about the middle of the book. It's just so interesting learning about the things the princes do, are expected to do, their relationships with friends and family, their personalities, and interests. It's a ...more
Sarah Mclaughlin
May 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an interesting book. I started getting interested in Will and Kate and the royal family when the engagement was announced. I knew the prince's were Princess Diana's sons but I never followed their lives. The book is pretty accurate from what I knew over the years about the royal family. I enjoyed reading about their lives and I learned information about them I never knew before. Some of it can be hard to understand with all the royal titles and army slogans but the overall sto ...more
Megan
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written and an enjoyable book. Sometimes Ms. Nicholl inserts something from the past into the telling of the history, which makes it feel disjointed at times. However, it was nice to read more information about William and Harry. Ms. Nicholl touches on their girlfriends briefly. So, if you want to know a lot about Kate you won't find much here as this book mainly focuses on the princes. I hadn't read that much about William and Harry, so it was interesting to get a glimpse as what they ...more
Gail
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book last night - April 30 - and very good timing on my part to learn a lot more than I already knew about the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and what they went through to get where they are today!
Katie Nicholl truly knows about William, Catherine and Harry - and tells all in this book. And since I am simply a person who "needs to know", I really enjoyed reading this and that is why I gave it 5 stars!
Meghan Ragghianti
Very interesting. I couldn't put it down and I typically don't like biographies. It gives you an in depth inside view of the personal lives of the British Royal Family.

Interesting book but some of the facts are incorrect.

Towards the end of the book, it says William and Kate were getting married in April 2010 ... they were not even engaged until October or November 2010. It also says Diana died in 2007. She actually died in 1997.
Lesa Parnham
A a hopelessly pathetic Royal watcher everyone I know gives me every book, magazine and news clipping about the royals. In a rush to be the first William and Kate book this is an older book about William and Harry with a chunk about Kate thrown in. Is it true? Who knows? The Queen is not amused. lol
Dorothy Ray
Interesting read for the most part .

Interesting to read of the relationship between William and Katherine and also between William and Harry but any mention of Camillia still evokes anger for her part in Diana's pain. I hope I live long enough to see the designation of HRH to Diana by King William!
Sadie
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a detailed description and insight into the lives of Will, Kate, and Harry, this is a great book for you. It painted a realistic picture of the Royal Family without seeming "assuming" or fanciful. It was well-researched and very interesting. Like a non-fiction novel, almost. I recommend it!
Tracy R.
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, kindle
Was a nice detailed summary of the Prince's lives up untill the engament of William and Kate. There is nothing on the actual wedding. Made me look at Diana in a more concerned way. She wasn't the little angel that she is made out to be. Made me feel sorry for Charles, though he is no angel himself.
Penny Pennella
I listened to this one, I picked it up at the Lbrary. It's really a story of the young princes and their life and escapades. Less than 1/3 of the book is about Kate and Willliam's romance, but it's a good one. I enjoyed it. It had a clearly chronicled account of William and Harry's militry training. I enjoyed it.
Nancy
May 16, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the first book and was looking forward to reading this one, only to find out that it is the same book with new material added to include Kate's story. Very disappointing. I was glad that I got this one from the library. Index was helpful to find the new information, otherwise I am not sure I would have bothered.
Sarah ⚡
Does this book have any literary merit? Absolutely not. Is it complete and total fluff that only fueled my obsession? YES.

That being said, the title is definitely misleading. This book is 65% William, 30% Harry, and maaaaybe 5% Kate.
Maria
Jun 01, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never trusted Katie Nicholl. I've learned that I would never trust people who are in the royal circle. They will never tell the truth. It's either bad or good, that's it. Look what happened to Richard Kay.
Karla
A quick read, but a better title would be "Chronological history of the house of Windsor, 1980-2010." It kind of read like a list of events rather than a biography with primary sources and careful analysis. Quick, some what interesting and basic.
Kimberly Andersen
I literally am the BIGGEST royal fan!! I truly love William & Kate's love story and I loved Princess Diana and who she was as lady and a royal. I have huge interest in learning about the Royals and the British Monarchy. In my next life, I'd love to be apart of the Royal Family! (Just once!)
Pat
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I didn't have anything to listen to in my car so I grabbed this. Not too bad. Interesting to hear about the lives of Harry and William from their birth through their school years and up to William and Kate's engagement. I'm not much of a celebrity follower, but it was ok.
Desiree De wit
Easy reading about a family that you can't help but be fascinated with. I felt like i really got to know William and HArry - truly charming nice boys trying to live normal meaningful lives! Will and Kate will be a great King and Queen...
Kathy
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I'm not one to read biographies and this wasn't one. My favorite part was when Harry gave Grandma a cell phone for Christmas, he set the voicemail message. Funny as hell what he recorded.
Christina Dudley
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ends with the engagement. Fun, absorbing fluff. No idea what the fuss is about, wanting to get rid of the monarchy. They're great for tourism and give us something to think about besides what's for dinner.
Marita
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, biog
Other than the misleading name this was fun to listen to for me since I had not followed up on the British Royal family for years. Had to admire Kate's patience!!
Nollie
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Basically a rehash of one of her older books and if you're anything of a royal follower, most of the information you already know, except for being surprised at how much everyone drinks and parties.
ConnieC
Nov 15, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Katie Nicholl is such a nice person in real life on television interviews. I can imagine why the royals let her into their lives. Would love to see how her books read.
  • William & Catherine: A Royal Wedding
  • The Reluctant King: The Life and Reign of George VI, 1895-1952
  • The Real Elizabeth: An Intimate Portrait of Queen Elizabeth II
  • Eliminate Chaos: The 10-Step Process to Organize Your Home and Life
  • Clutter-Free Home Living: The How-To Guide
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • Baghdad Burning II: More Girl Blog from Iraq