Start by marking “Tula Station” as Want to Read:
Tula Station

Tula Station

Tula Station is a novel told in three interwoven stories: the story of an orphan destined to live a Quixotic life in search of adventure; the story of a man who will forever be in love with his fantasy of a woman; and the almost true story of the once prosperous town of Tula, inaccessible to both trains and modernity in spite of the hopeful construction of Tula Station.Int ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Tula Station, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tula Station

julieta
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mexico
Esta historia tiene dos personajes principales, Juan, alias Domenico, y Froylan. Aunque otros personajse importantes es el pueblo de Tula, y Carmen, la eterna pasión. El pueblo de Tula es creo que mi favorito, desde cuando no aceptan el himno nacional, y deciden imponer el suyo, cuando no gana, ni es mencionado en el concurso el que hizo el maestro de música, hasta cuando no aceptan las medidas que mandan desde la capital, prefiriendo varas por encima de kilómetros o metros, o cuando le tiran a ...more
Daniel Polansky
A failing novelist writes a potentially fictitious biography of a man who is probably not his Great-Grandfather, becomes obsessed with a woman as men are bound to do, leaves his wife. Or maybe not, a lot is left unresolved in this strange, playful novel about love, and the hope for love, and its destructive and redemptive power. I quite enjoyed it, then again I am a self-destructive romantic in the classic mold, more reasonable people might cotton to it somewhat less.
John
Oct 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not as strange as Toscana's circus trip in Our Lady of the Circus, this was a text that paraelelled that one in many ways. Almost as if Tula were Santa Maria del Circo. His characters are once again largely disagreeable, but not so much we won't see them through. In the end I'm not to sure if its the banality of evil or the everday character of weakenss that prevails.

While many of the narative facets of the story have likely been acheived somewhere else better. It is still nice to see Tos
Antonio Rubio Reyes
Una bella novela.

Estación Tula es la primera novela importante de David Toscana. En dicho relato, Toscana configura todo su universo narrativo y ciertas espacialidades que se repetirán a lo largo de su obra narrativa, Lontananza especialmente (título de su siguiente obra).

Qué imaginación la de Toscana. Cómo juega con sus textos, con sus personajes, con su propuesta poética. Quizá no exista otro narrador mexicano con la misma capacidad re-inventiva.

8/10
Diana
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una novela anegada de nostalgia, con la maestría de David Toscana para reflejar emociones tan humanas como el abandono, el deseo,el amor.
Milly Cohen
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
me fascina, pero no como su santa marta del circo
nimrodiel
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was very different from the books I have been reading recently.

The book follows three different stories. First is the tale left behind in a journal by the friend of the author about his interviewing Juan Capistran (who says he is his grandfather), and the events leading up to the night of the hurricane when the author of the journal disappears. The second story is that of Juan Capistan and takes place in Tula, Mexico in the late 1800's to early 1900's. The third story is that of the town
Javier
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos
Después de leer Estación Tula comprendí que me encontraba ante un escritor que dejaría huella. Desde ese entonces no sólo me convertí en aficionado a sus libros, sino que me obsesioné con Estación Tula en particular.

Además llegó a mí de la forma más rara. Un amigo lo encontró y, desde ese entonces, esa bendita copia a pasado de mano en mano por todo mi círculo de amistades. Y es raro porque por más que he buscado el libro no he podido encontrarlo en México.

Así es que si alguien me puede consegu
Bill
Apr 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although a very interesting and quiet plot, I had difficulty keeping track of the many narrators and their stories. Overly complex. I became lost and unconnected, even while I continued to read and enjoy the characters. When I finished, I re-read the back cover, and thought: "Oh yeah-- that's how it fit together." A book shouldn't need an explanation to tell you the story, but this one is worth reading even so.
Kris
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a good quick read...it had the same kind of "Storytelling" quality as Gabriel Garcia Marquez and other Mexican authors...kind of magical & fate related. Timeless ideas...beautifully told.
Tower Lowe
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, entertaining, curious, full of light, love and latin american spiritness. Read!
Apple Austria
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
made me want to pick one hundred years of solitude again..
Sofía Segovia
Mar 10, 2009
Sheroz Sanober
Apr 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
David Toscana was born in Monterrey in the northern Mexican state of Nuevo León in 1961. After leaving school, he qualified as an engineer and worked in Ciudad Juárez. He started to write at the age of 29. His literary influences, in terms of reading for enjoyment’s sake, were classic Spanish writers like Cervantes and Calderón as well as classic Russian writers, but in terms of the obsession with ...more