Start by marking “How I Planned Your Wedding: The All-True Story of a Mother and Daughter Surviving the Happiest Day of Their Lives” as Want to Read:

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews

Bestselling author Susan Wiggs literally wrote the book on happily-ever-after love. But orchestrating her daughter Elizabeth's real-world wedding turned into a different story altogether, and one that takes two to tell--the mother and the bride.
Here is the all-too-true tale of a mother and daughter collaborating on life's ultimate celebration--a dream wedding. Often poign
Published February 1st 2011 by Harlequin Nonfiction (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about How I Planned Your Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How I Planned Your Wedding

Julie
May 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read so many great reviews of this book, so I'm not really sure why I seemed to be the only one to not enjoy it. As an engaged person myself, I was hoping for some pointers. Instead, I got to read a story of a privileged bride who doesn't realize she's privileged. She tries to make the argument that her wedding was on a strict budget, but the fact of the matter is that her parents gave her $20,000 for the big day. That's not exactly tight purse strings. Yes, there are weddings with way bigger bu ...more
Leah Murphy
Feb 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I started this book at least 3 times before reading past the first few pages, but eventually forced my way through since it was a giveaway book and I already feel terrible that I hadn't finished it a year and half later.

While there were definitley funny moments and some great heartwarming ones, it was very obvious that it was a collaboration and not in a good way. I usually love Susan Wiggs when I need a does of chick lit, but much of "her" was missing in the collaboration on this. My other issu
Ashleigh Cartmill
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, humor
Have you ever found a book that you stay up late into the night reading because you can't put it down? That feeling is the Holy Grail of Books and that's what I found here. I stayed up until 3AM reading this book, knowing I should go to sleep so that my sleep cycle wasn't thrown out of whack...and unable to bring myself to care. The dual voices of Elizabeth and Susan are absolutely wonderful, advice for both bride and mom. And the entire book had me laughing out loud.

This book holds an extra spe
Cari
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this one for my now-sister-in-law before she married my brother five years ago. Loved Elizabeth's blog at the time and assumed the book she wrote with her famous writer mom would be just as great but... It wasn't. Not sure if my personal writing tastes have changed or if the cutesy self-deprecating tone doesn't translate offline. Either way, my favorite part was all the Seattle references (including Bridget at I Do bridal who sold me my wedding dress too!).
Wealhtheow
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The story of how a woman enlisted her mother's help in planning her wedding, and what lessons they learned along the way. Told in a cutesy style that I did not like at all, but I'm sure someone else with different taste would appreciate this lightweight, light-hearted book.
Susan
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not what I thought it was going to be. Mom does a chapter, daughter does a chapter - real advice on planning a wedding from their experience doing the daughter's wedding. Think they had a lot more money than most of us. I expected it to be funny and it wasn't really. Had a hard time finishing it.
Racheal Kalisz
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am going to leave a note to myself to reread this when one of my girls gets engaged!
Shari
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story, although not what I expected

What a great story, told by a bride and her mom, of their experiences wedding planning. It wasn't the textbook DIY book I was expecting, but through the authors stories I learned a lot about the topic.
Nora
Feb 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from Harlequin)

"Bestselling author Susan Wiggs literally wrote the book on happily-ever-after love. But orchestrating her daughter Elizabeth's real-world wedding turned into a different story altogether, and one that takes two to tell—the mother and the bride.

Here is the all-too-true tale of a mother and daughter collaborating on life's ultimate celebration—a dream wedding. Often poignant, sometimes irreverent and always hilarious, this charming b
RYCJ
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides the mother/daughter camaraderie, the `how-to' tiered advice, the whimsical anecdotes and riotous humor, this wedding collaboration story really sparkles and it begins with the physical book itself.

It was the first thing I noticed; the paper quality and interior design and layout. `What a pretty book...' I sighed just before whimsically turning to page one (the engagement) and being swept up by Elizabeth's fantasy, and how her mother responds to her fantasy. I blushed through the engagem
Denise
I'd suggest this book to anyone involved in planning a wedding (or enjoys wedding-related topics). But as i expected, it's not something I'd suggest my single or long-time married friends pick up (even though it was marketed as such). I've never heard of Susan Wiggs, even though she's apparently a popular author, so maybe if you're a fan, you'd appreciate the book on another level.

The book was endearing and often made me laugh. I liked that the writing style was really conversational and honest.
Julie Barrett
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How I Planned Your Wedding by Susan and Elizabeth Wiggs Maas

What a funny but sometimes serious book. All the details and thoughts what went into planning the special day. You can tell the mother and daughter are VERY close.
I never had a fairy tale wedding so it's quite interesting and SO involved to see how it's all put together. Love the cheat sheets and am amazed as how it was pulled off (on a budget).
They really share a bunch more than I expected one to share but it fits right in. Really sho
Heather Clawson
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Perfect Wedding - does it exist? According to the Wiggs women it can – as long as you and your fiancée both agree on what constitutes "perfect." In "How I Planned Your Wedding," romance novelist Susan Wiggs and her daughter Elizabeth give a rambunctious account of their sometimes unconventional, often creative and alternately hilarious and touching journey through the minefield of wedding planning.

Considering the way this book was marketed, I expected knock-down, drag-out scenes between moth
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of memoirs, romance, chick-lit, and/or reality shows
I've really enjoyed this one.

Susan's daughter wrote more than half of this nonfiction story, and she is as good as her mother (or has been edited to be so). I found her sense of humor to be worth the cost of admission.

The two of them are sharing their experiences from the days before the engagement onward. As my younger daughter and I are battling our way through many of the same experiences, I hope to avoid some of the pitfalls by reading ahead of where we are in life.

If I make it past the wed
Lizz
Jan 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have followed Susan Wiggs on her blog and on Facebook. When her daughter Elizabeth got married, she shared a video of the wedding and the events surrounding it with everyone and it was SO lovely. I am a fool for a wedding, and can't resist reading about them. Since I already feel almost like I attended this particular wedding, I can't wait to read about how it came together. Shhhh! I'm reading!

Annnnnd..... I'm done! What a great book! It brought back so clearly the time our daughter and I spen
Amber
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a bride to be, my mom's best friend sent both my mom and I a copy. This book is cute and Elizabeth (the bride) is a like-able, girl-crush worthy "heroine". She certainly takes over the narrative at times which left me confused by the title of the book since she also did most of the wedding planning herself. (I expected the book to more from the mother's POV.) Where the book swerves is the advice she gives. She admits she is no expert on weddings but proceeds to offer advice to brides. The boo ...more
T
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this for my own mother last Mother's Day -- right smackdab in the middle of the wedding planning for my *own* wedding.

My Mom loaned it to me a couple months after the 'I do's' had been said, the gifts had been unwrapped, thank yous written, and the laundry from the honeymoon had been done and put away. I'm glad I read it when I did because, having been a month or 2 removed from the big day, I had the necessary perspective to truly enjoy this book as I think it needs to be enjoyed.

I
Charlotte
Jan 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a light read that required little to no processing. It's a fun recounting of how one woman planned her dream wedding with her mother. And even though Elizabeth and her mother are best friends, they still ran into their wedding hang-ups. This book would be especially good for brides-to-be, because it gives many helpful hints for wedding planning that you might not have thought of before. (I did cough when I read that her wedding budget was $20,000. Good heavens.)

Really, though, this boo
Amanda
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, 2011
So, here's the thing. I did not read this because I am engaged, or, for that matter, because anyone I know is engaged. I read this because I was wandering through my local library's browsing section, and I saw Susan Wigg's name. She is one of my (and my mother's) favorite romance authors, and I thought it would be fun to get a bit of a slice of her life.
So, reading this was not quite what I thought, but I enjoyed it greatly. I think any daughter can related to a mother who is exasperating in her
Christina LaFonte
I am engaged and planning a wedding and my mom and I are super close like the 2 main characters so this book should have automatically been amazing for me but for some reason I found it lacked a lot. It was a fun read as a soon-to-be-bride but this is the only time I would recommend reading it and only if you have wedding fever. I didn't gain much valuable insight but it was interesting to see some of her takeaways. I found myself wanting to relate more to them but her wedding vision and her and ...more
Rachel Rogers
Similar in readability to _The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy_: fun, irreverent and full of useful information. That said, Elizabeth and her mom (whose books I really enjoy) got a little annoying about the whole thing. I love weddings, loved planning mine 13 years ago, and enjoy going to other peoples'. But, eyelash extensions? Really? 3 visits to a spa in advance to get your skin perfect? A possible $12,000 dress? I know weddings are a multi-billion dollar business but some of the extremes see ...more
Lee
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-real-life
I think I had trouble truly enjoying this memoir because I kept getting stuck on how...close the mother and daughter describe themselves being. The dynamic between them is so different than that between me and my own mom, that I found myself constantly thinking, "oh my gosh, thank goodness my mom isn't like that."

So...yeah. This book has its entertaining moments...but there was a little too much "how to plan YOUR wedding" feel to it for this to be as much a memoir as the summary on the jacket ma
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a wedding coordinator for my church so my exposure to "wedding drama" is limited to the ceremony and, thus, limited. This is a book I would highly recommend to newly engaged women. Elizabeth Wiggs Maas is very funny, blunt, and offers sage advice - all with a tremendous amount of humor. Her mom adds in thoughts that will have moms-of-the-bride nodding their heads in agreement. I'd say the book's best feature is Maas' humor but a close second is the quick "I was too busy to read this chapter ...more
Kassi
Apr 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really fun book for both mother and daughter to read before, or as, you're planning your wedding! It's the story of how Susan Wiggs and her daughter Elizabeth planned her wedding from both their points of view. It really gives you insight as to WHY mom doesn't want you to get that super expensive dress of your dreams and gives mom an idea of why it means so much that you get the venue you want. Really enjoyed reading this one!
Jeanie
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
i mostly skimmed this book. it was okay. the one thing i really appreciated about this book was getting the mother's perspective - in the beginning. it help me to think about what this time must be like for my mom too. otherwise - reading about someone else's wedding plans didn't bring me comfort, it just stressed me out more! i'm sure my friends could have predicted that one. plus, as it turns out...i'm a much more low key kinda bride. i think.
Marcia
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
I really enjoyed this book. I don't know if it was because my daughter got married nine months ago and I could relate. Or my other daughter is getting married in thirteen months and I can relate. It was like reliving that whole wonderful day and anticipating our future big event.

Quotes:
Here's a hint about your mom -the older you get the smarter she becomes.

Just remember, watching your daughters dreams come true is the sweetest pain you've ever felt
Shell
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every bride-to-be and Mother of the Bride should read this book. I'm going to buy it for my mother so she can read it. I swear, some of the conversations between the authors (a mother-daughter duo) sound just like me and my mom. Definitely adds a little comic relief to the stresses of planning a wedding.
Kay Carman
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my gosh, I enjoyed this book so much! It would have been funny and touching anytime, but the fact that my daughter's wedding reception is in nineteen days made it even more so. I tried to get her to read it this month too, but was unsuccessful. I laughed, I cried, I felt like I had someone who was personally commiserating with me. Great fun!
Darcy
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction
Anyone that has been involved in planning or helping to plan a wedding will relate to this book. Some of the stories were funny, some had me scratching my head, and some were just good advice. I did like the opposing views from mother and daughter.
Diana Sadler
Jun 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book to read in the midst of weding planning. A little sappy at times but I do envy the way mother and daughter are able to express thier emotions. Gave a nice insight into planning a relatively modest wedding. Feel good book with funny stories!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • I Toss Till Dawn
  • Without Alice
  • The Frugalista Files: How One Woman Got Out of Debt Without Giving Up the Fabulous Life
  • Ever After: Life Lessons Learned in My Castle of Chaos
  • Never Stop Holding Hands: And Other Marriage Survival Tips
  • The Cowboy's Surprise Bride (Cowboys of Eden Valley, #2)
  • Us: A User's Guide
  • Dignity Takes A Holiday
  • Young and in Love: Challenging the Unnecessary Delay of Marriage
  • Knitting Lessons
  • 40 Unforgettable Dates with Your Mate: Creative Ways to Meet the Love Needs of Husbands and Wives
  • Big Sky Christmas (Coffee Creek, Montana #4)
  • Under the Sheets: The Secrets to Hot Sex in Your Marriage
  • The Cowboy Lawman (Cooper Creek, #5)
  • Happily Ever After: Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage
  • A Little House Traveler: Writings from Laura Ingalls Wilder's Journeys Across America
  • A Prior Engagement (Special Forces, #4)
  • To the Edge: A Man, Death Valley, and the Mystery of Endurance
Susan Wiggs's life is all about family, friends...and fiction. She lives at the water's edge on an island in Puget Sound, and she commutes to her writers' group in a 17-foot motorboat. She serves as author liaison for Field's End, a literary community on Bainbridge Island, Washington, bringing inspiration and instruction from the world's top authors to her seaside community. (See www.fieldsend.org ...more
More about Susan Wiggs...